REMOVE LING remove ling

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: REMOVE LING remove ling

Post by Armhulen » #400423

Bottom post of the previous page:

Armhulen wrote:
Dr_bee wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
Lumbermancer wrote:No they don't.
"Found a traitor now I know what every other antagonist in the round is and will have"
thats something that was supposed to be solved by datum antags I thought, as you could functionally have any antag during any round with them
we have datum antags now, we just need to have changelings and traitors have a low chance of happening in every round too
OR SOMETHING! Doesn't have to be crazy!
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #400430

stop adding baddies to the mix if you’re not going to touch primary antags who are scaled to be the sole antag of the round!!!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400431

Cobby wrote:stop adding baddies to the mix if you’re not going to touch primary antags who are scaled to be the sole antag of the round!!!
ideally we'd have a gamemode that mixes a bunch of side antags roundstart as the game mode instead of traitor and changeling, so nuke ops can stay away from traitors revolvering the cap and nuking immediately
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #400436

They are not “side” antags then though :^)
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #400438

Currently all of the side antags save one or two (like nightmare) are designed to be easy to detect, and grow in power as the game progresses, usually to the point where if ignored they will dominate the round, to the detriment of the round's main antag. This is grossly apparent in "team" side antags like xeno, swarmer, and also to blob.

The solution to lings is to have *less* lings, not to just give them potential to spawn in every round, where they can undetectably murderbone until they inevitably dominate the round.

The simplest solution is to just make lings easier to kill and, again, to have less of them.
ideally we'd have a gamemode that mixes a bunch of side antags roundstart as the game mode instead of traitor and changeling, so nuke ops can stay away from traitors revolvering the cap and nuking immediately
This would probably be extremely awful and the last thing I want to add to a potential returning Blob game mode is Blob + Literally Anything Else
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #400439

So the ling scaling coefficient (number of players online / coeff = number of lings)* got set to 4 in the config, and by default it is 6.

At some point someone with remote cranked up the number of changeling spawns for some reason.

*Formula for traitorchan lings is actually players/(coef * 2) but you get the idea.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #400444

Kor wrote:So the ling scaling coefficient (number of players online / coeff = number of lings)* got set to 4 in the config, and by default it is 6.

At some point someone with remote cranked up the number of changeling spawns for some reason.

*Formula for traitorchan lings is actually players/(coef * 2) but you get the idea.
wait does that formula mean on a 90 player highpop round there are 11 fucking lings? or 11 antags in total., Or did I do the math completely wrong.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400446

Cobby wrote:They are not “side” antags then though :^)
Armhulen wrote: OR SOMETHING! Doesn't have to be crazy!
starmute
Byond Username: Starmute

Post by starmute » #400455

Remove ling until it is reworked. At least put it up to a vote, its a more broken mode than gang.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #400466

starmute wrote:Remove ling until it is reworked. At least put it up to a vote, its a more broken mode than gang.
1. no
2. gang is no longer the gold standard for a broken mode, that now goes to clock
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #400469

PKPenguin321 wrote:
starmute wrote:Remove ling until it is reworked. At least put it up to a vote, its a more broken mode than gang.
1. no
2. gang is no longer the gold standard for a broken mode, that now goes to clock
. extremely correct
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #400476

Who ever made it so lings can get abilities without having to attack and risk exposure is a dumbass. Old lings were a pain but at least they could unlock everything without once risking their identity.

Make lings need to absorb people to gain powers again, and every absorb giving them a random power instead of picking. And get rid of the fucking hivemind, lings should be hunting each other, not team antag.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
starmute

Post by starmute » #400478

Davidchan wrote:Who ever made it so lings can get abilities without having to attack and risk exposure is a dumbass. Old lings were a pain but at least they could unlock everything without once risking their identity.

Make lings need to absorb people to gain powers again, and every absorb giving them a random power instead of picking. And get rid of the fucking hivemind, lings should be hunting each other, not team antag.
Its rather funny, old lings were taken out because too many people complained about being taken out of the round. New lings are just as muderbonish.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #400482

Why are people whining about "dying too much" now that we have actual automated ghost roles?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #400493

Cobby wrote:stop adding baddies to the mix if you’re not going to touch primary antags who are scaled to be the sole antag of the round!!!
the bee is correct
Luke Cox wrote:Why are people whining about "dying too much" now that we have actual automated ghost roles?
I'm in the opposite camp. I think death is slowly rendered meaningless, if you gonna get back into the round anyway, free to griff and metagrudge and try to force shuttle call so you can start new round. Yeah, most won't, but one or two is enough.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #400503

Dying is fine. Getting 1HKO by something you couldn't possible counter? That's not fun. That's bad design. Changelings have an answer for everything in the game from damage, stuns, borgs, cuffs, and even death. And despite all their pocket, the only counter to them is 'bring more guys'.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #400507

Davidchan wrote:Dying is fine. Getting 1HKO by something you couldn't possible counter? That's not fun. That's bad design. Changelings have an answer for everything in the game from damage, stuns, borgs, cuffs, and even death. And despite all their pocket, the only counter to them is 'bring more guys'.
Definitely agree, which is why I think forcing them to specialize is the way to go. They need to have their toolkits limited, but they can't be railroaded into one strategy.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #400510

Davidchan wrote:Dying is fine. Getting 1HKO by something you couldn't possible counter? That's not fun. That's bad design. Changelings have an answer for everything in the game from damage, stuns, borgs, cuffs, and even death. And despite all their pocket, the only counter to them is 'bring more guys'.
Isn't that the entire point: Strong 1v1 but weak against groups? A ling gets 2/3 uses of fleshmend or adrenaline before it runs out of chems.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #400511

I don't think i've ever seen a changeling beat stunbaton spam.
I play Boris Pepper.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #400514

Bluespace wrote:I don't think i've ever seen a changeling beat stunbaton spam.
*tentacles your baton*
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #400530

Lumbermancer wrote:
Bluespace wrote:I don't think i've ever seen a changeling beat stunbaton spam.
*tentacles your baton*
Yes and to do that the ling has spend 2(?) of his dna points on the ability.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #401034

i read the first paragraph of the OP and thought yakumo finally went off the deep end. then i started reading the well thought out stuff and got bored. we should rework ling to be more stealth based instead of unstoppable murderbone machines. yes i know theyre not unstoppable but the only way to kill them is like this ever since the recent ling changes.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #401907

I just want to repeat that I really dislike ling.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #401908

The Clowns Pocket wrote:itt discussion rages about overhauling ling, nothing is done
I dont' know if you've noticed, but this is the entirety of all the coding subforums.

Any real discussion happens in our irc.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #401924

oranges wrote:
The Clowns Pocket wrote:itt discussion rages about overhauling ling, nothing is done
I dont' know if you've noticed, but this is the entirety of all the coding subforums.

ALLLLLLLLLLSO IT'S A FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING FREEEEEEEEEEEZE?
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #401928

Armhulen wrote:
oranges wrote:

ALLLLLLLLLLSO IT'S A FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING FREEEEEEEEEEEZE?
Then someone make a thread in the policy forums asking for traitorlings to be removed from rotation until it is reworked.

Also coders really should consider using the forums more often, it provides a nice documentation on a coders development process if they actually discuss it in a place where it can be preserved publicly instead of on an IRC that I am not even sure keeps logs.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #401968

BeeSting12 wrote:i read the first paragraph of the OP and thought yakumo finally went off the deep end.
It's actually just an elaborate reference to the remove kebab meme

I actually asked CitrusGender to change the round odds between Traitor and TraitorChan, since that's a config option the coders cannot interact with, and he was receptive to it. I'll see if he's done anything more about it.

EDIT:
oranges wrote:

As a player I don't really have any desire to use #coderbus as most of the coders are cunts and would rather make fun of me for not being a coder / being who I am instead of actually take suggestions seriously. Most of the coders just work as a clique that doesn't care for actual player input. It's probably the reason why goofball has been able to get away with his shit for so long.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #401979

t. does not into coderbus
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #401992

goof has a 29% merge rate, got gitbanned last year, and does not get along at all with several maintainers what are you even talking about
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #401998

Yakumo_Chen wrote: As a player I don't really have any desire to use #coderbus as most of the coders are cunts and would rather make fun of me for not being a coder / being who I am instead of actually take suggestions seriously. Most of the coders just work as a clique that doesn't care for actual player input. It's probably the reason why goofball has been able to get away with his shit for so long.
This is the Shadowdimentio Syndrome, induced by either a lack of knowledge in coding and a complete unwillingness to learn one of the easier coding languages or a single bad experience on their first project which had a lot of time put in. Symptoms include cussing coders out at the bottom of your post, seeing cliques where there obviously isn't and How-can-he-get-away-with-this-ing goofball.

I guess my point here is that you're in the same group as deitus and shadowdimentio and that should be setting off some red flags. please stop this insane coder clique group theory. I don't feel great being put into the group that most coders are just bad people, it's really fucking rude to say. just try coding out sometime, you WILL lose projects to maintainers and it sucks but a lot more will get in since they're usually flexible on what they'd allow in the game. You will find that actually contributing to this game's future is a blast!
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #402005

Armhulen wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote: As a player I don't really have any desire to use #coderbus as most of the coders are cunts and would rather make fun of me for not being a coder / being who I am instead of actually take suggestions seriously. Most of the coders just work as a clique that doesn't care for actual player input. It's probably the reason why goofball has been able to get away with his shit for so long.
This is the Shadowdimentio Syndrome, induced by either a lack of knowledge in coding and a complete unwillingness to learn one of the easier coding languages or a single bad experience on their first project which had a lot of time put in. Symptoms include cussing coders out at the bottom of your post, seeing cliques where there obviously isn't and How-can-he-get-away-with-this-ing goofball.

I guess my point here is that you're in the same group as deitus and shadowdimentio and that should be setting off some red flags. please stop this insane coder clique group theory. I don't feel great being put into the group that most coders are just bad people, it's really fucking rude to say. just try coding out sometime, you WILL lose projects to maintainers and it sucks but a lot more will get in since they're usually flexible on what they'd allow in the game. You will find that actually contributing to this game's future is a blast!
Viewing coders as a clique is primarily because of the lack of public logs of coding discussions. If you guys dont want to use the forums to discuss shit consider making the IRC logs public. It would put the nail in the coffin of people thinking the coderbus is a super secret club as you could just point to the IRC logs whenever someone asks about something.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #402031

Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #402034

The "coders are a clique" mentality comes from two things: coders not communicating with the general playerbase, and a substantial number of coders hardly ever playing the game. I don't think anyone reasonable lumps all coders into the "clique", but there's no denying that too many of them are out of touch.
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #402049

Dr_bee wrote:
Armhulen wrote:

Viewing coders as a clique is primarily because of the lack of public logs of coding discussions. If you guys dont want to use the forums to discuss shit consider making the IRC logs public. It would put the nail in the coffin of people thinking the coderbus is a super secret club as you could just point to the IRC logs whenever someone asks about something.
There are public logs it's called the specific PR on github.

The discussion to make the pr itself is usually not a discussion at all, the person just does it.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #402064

If you want coderbus logged so badly just join it and afk so you can read back through it. Its a public IRC. I bet you could even make a bot do it for you.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #402075

Armhulen wrote:
a mode where it's mixed and finding one antag but still being unable to guess what else there is sounds fucking amazing

i'd say throw traitor or whatever in there as well, but with a lower chance/only one or two
Limey wrote:its too late.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #402092

Side Antag mode is already happening as far as I understand, which will be a welcome addition
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #402093

I'm making my baggie of side antags for that game mode.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #402097

I agree with this thread. Go away Lings no one likes you. TELL ME 1 PERSON (who actually plays) that likes ling in its current state. Kevinz doesn't play!
► Show Spoiler
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #402098

Shadowflame909 wrote:I agree with this thread. Go away Lings no one likes you. TELL ME 1 PERSON (who actually plays) that likes ling in its current state. Kevinz doesn't play!
He plays as Skylar fairly often
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #402115

Yakumo_Chen wrote:some shit
:roll:
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #402117

Luke Cox wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:I agree with this thread. Go away Lings no one likes you. TELL ME 1 PERSON (who actually plays) that likes ling in its current state. Kevinz doesn't play!
Give me three coders that actually play. Also, kevinz rarely plays and when he does its as a security officer. He has never been in the position of the powerless.
► Show Spoiler
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #402119

me t b h but i agree they could use improvement
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #402120

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:
Give me three coders that actually play. Also, kevinz rarely plays and when he does its as a security officer. He has never been in the position of the powerless.
PKPenguin

Kor

Dreamweaver

bonus in case you don't respect my answers: Oldman Robustin plays a lot, suprisingly
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #402122

Of all the coders you could call out for not playing, Kevinz is one of the worst choices.
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #402124

User Details for kevinz000 (Byond account)
Total Connections: 17795
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #402125

I have been foiled again! But, I really don't like ling. I'd be glad if it got removed completely. But, I feel like things should be improved on and removal should be the last option!
Bluespace wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a changeling beat stun baton spam.
If they catch me off guard with adrenals, I usually just last resort the fuck out of them. and then I egg sac there body and steal there identity, leaving them gibbed and unrevivable. edit: and I only said kevinz because that was the obvious choice! Also, be in a job thats not security and lings are ascended shadowlings compared to traitors.
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer

Post by Cobby » #402272

i don't play
starmute

Post by starmute » #402324

To be fair: I actually don't see mekhi very often to be fair. I mean, he's one of my favorite jerks online but he mostly admins.
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #404312

Armhulen wrote:

Most of my bad experience just comes from coders shitposting everywhere and basically mocking me whenever I come on github/coderbus/whathaveyou whenever I have anything to say. Oranges and Questinus are good examples of this.

I'm not going to derail an entire thread, and I know my attitude isn't the best but when I make stuff like bug reports and have them littered with spam posts of crying babies for no real reason / because I disagree with an opinion it's not really helping my perception. There's also the fact a lot of maintainers (who actually merge stuff) don't or rarely play and have a big amount of say over stuff like balance regardless.

Anyway I'm happy with the changeling changes going on so far.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #404339

Yakumo_Chen wrote:
Armhulen wrote:

Most of my bad experience just comes from coders shitposting everywhere and basically mocking me whenever I come on github/coderbus/whathaveyou whenever I have anything to say. Oranges and Questinus are good examples of this.

I'm not going to derail an entire thread, and I know my attitude isn't the best but when I make stuff like bug reports and have them littered with spam posts of crying babies for no real reason / because I disagree with an opinion it's not really helping my perception. There's also the fact a lot of maintainers (who actually merge stuff) don't or rarely play and have a big amount of say over stuff like balance regardless.

Anyway I'm happy with the changeling changes going on so far.
As someone who regularly reads the github, constant shitposting by certain coders does not improve my opinion of them.

The problem with shitposting, is you have to be anonymous to do it for long, or else people just link your name to the fact you are being an asshole and stop liking you or taking you seriously.

It doesnt matter how talented a coder the shitposter is, if they act like an asshole on github even in jest, people wont want to contribute, even via bug reporting and testing.