New welding eye damage

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

New welding eye damage

Post by Mickyan » #401048

I'm not sure what kind of exploit warranted it and I thought balance changes weren't allowed during the feature freeze but whatever, I don't make the rules

With the new system playing as a moth you will go completely blind on your first weld. I am not opposed to it per se as a race that's sensitive to light has no place being anywhere near a welder, but it's a massive disadvantage and they deserve something to make up for it, because contrary to what people that don't play as a mothman would like to believe, the wings are nothing but a minor convenience that needs very specific conditions to work.
At least add moth language back. The fact that something so minor was even removed in the first place feels like it was done in bad faith.
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Lazengann
Byond Username: Lazengann

Re: New welding eye damage

Post by Lazengann » #401073

their unique appearance makes up for it already
Oldman Robustin
Byond Username: ForcefulCJS

Post by Oldman Robustin » #401074

File this under "WHY"

You get spammed with eye warnings and messages now and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the previous system.
Takeguru
Byond Username: TakeGuru

Post by Takeguru » #401096

Biggest problem is that it came during a feature freeze tbh
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #401101

Wear a welding helmet?
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #401184

It was to fix the problem where welding protection was only needed at the start of the weld. To retain old functionality while still fixing the bug, it should only flash once per weld at most, IMO.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #401186

Just flash start and end, dividing it further is kinda pointless.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #401319

It fixed the "exploit" of starting a weld and then flipping up your mask/goggles to get weld protection without the diminished vision that normally comes with it.

Why it was merged as is rather then telling the PR author to correct the values down to have the same end result, I don't know.
Wear a welding helmet?
For better or worse, you don't always have access to a welding mask when you need one, and going blind from a single weld is pretty excessive even for the light sensitive race.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #402217

Now that the freeze is over I'd appreciate if this was taken in serious consideration, whether it's adjusting the values to match the previous functionality or giving moths something in return if it isn't feasible. My understanding is any changes to mutant races need to be pre-approved and I can't imagine this was the case for the PR that changed welding
Be nice to each other.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #403368

a)fuck moths, I don't want to hear any complaints about balance for non humans ever
b) the change isn't bad for everyone else so this thread is worthless gene trash complaining.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #403429

the removal of mothspeak was done on the basis of alleged balance so what's up with that
Be nice to each other.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #403460

balance that makes them worse is fine.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #403465

doesn't sound like you have some kind of bias at all
Be nice to each other.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #403467

Moth lanuage was removed because half the crew filling the radio with gibberish was obnoxious, and lizards already had that gimmick (with a population small enough that they dont flood Common)
D&B

Post by D&B » #403469

You're not entitled to suffer no damage from doing stuff that requires special equipment. Helplessness is a part of the game too
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #403487

D&B wrote:You're not entitled to suffer no damage from doing stuff that requires special equipment. Helplessness is a part of the game too
My issue is while the amount of checks increased the damage from those checks did not decrease.

So it was basically an all around nerf to welding without proper equipment, which even without considering moths is kind of unwarranted. what reason is there to increase welding eye damage balance wise?
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #403493

Kor wrote:Moth lanuage was removed because half the crew filling the radio with gibberish was obnoxious, and lizards already had that gimmick (with a population small enough that they dont flood Common)
That's fair enough

Anyway considering that interrupting a weld halfway has no effect it would make more sense if you started taking damage towards the end, just so if you end up getting interrupted you don't take so much extra eye damage with no progress to show for it. Also helps against misclicks, nearly messed up my eyes yesterday because I accidentally clicked a wall while fighting a blob.
Be nice to each other.
Arianya
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Arianya

Post by Arianya » #403947

oranges wrote:b) the change isn't bad for everyone else so this thread is worthless gene trash complaining.
I mean the change is bad even for superior human beans. They will still take more eye damage then before the change.
Frequently playing as Aria Bollet on Bagil & Scary Terry

Source of avatar is here: https://i.imgur.com/hEkADo6.jpg
D&B

Post by D&B » #403972

Yeah but you're not meant to weld without a helmet so it checks out
Spoiler:
fuck you
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #404012

D&B wrote:Yeah but you're not meant to weld without a helmet so it checks out
Emergency welding tools exist for a reason
D&B

Post by D&B » #404026

An emergency is not something you're expected to come out unscathed, what's your point?
Spoiler:
fuck you
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #404032

D&B wrote:An emergency is not something you're expected to come out unscathed, what's your point?
That's why you used to be able to weld 2-3 times (enough to escape mist things once) without issues, with this you can only weld once, if even.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #404043

somerandomguy wrote:
D&B wrote:An emergency is not something you're expected to come out unscathed, what's your point?
That's why you used to be able to weld 2-3 times (enough to escape mist things once) without issues, with this you can only weld once, if even.
emergency.