Repeat github prs annoy me to no end.

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Repeat github prs annoy me to no end.

Post by Shadowflame909 » #404407

I don't even know where to post this but, I want a conversation on this. So on the github I'm noticing that as soon as a pr gets denied
Not even a day later another pr gets made that effectively does something similar to what the original pr got denied for but re-worded or in a different way. Why is this allowed? If this isn't the right place for this forum mods please move it!
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
ohnopigeons
Byond Username: Ohnopigeons
Github Username: ohnopigeons

Re: Repeat github press annoy me to no end.

Post by ohnopigeons » #404410

You seem to be talking about my PR so let's talk. Fox's mistake was bundling two distinct and separate changes into one PR. Arguments were made indicating that some people supported one change but not the other. So I made a PR about that one particular change, with a minor tweak of my own that I believe to be an improvement.
Shadowflame909

Re: Repeat github prs annoy me to no end.

Post by Shadowflame909 » #404415

I'm talking in general since a day before Fox's pr goof was doing the same with cargo. If the verdict of the denial pr applied to all of it. What makes it alright to remove one thing from a denied pr and try to get that merged. I feel like if a pr gets denied and a day later another pr does something similar to the pr that got denied, it shouldn't even be given the light of day for trying to continue controversy from the previous PR. It's like if someone made a pr removing watermelon from the game because it offended them. It got denied, so they make another pr removing watermelon seeds from botany, make you forced to buy it from cargo and make the price 30k credits. "It's a different enough pr" shouldn't be an argument because it's accomplishing the same goal. That's wrong to me. If you do this that's wrong.
► Show Spoiler
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #404428

On the other hand, just because a change was bundled in a PR with a bad change it does not mean it was itself bad. Plus you can try to half-remove things as you described as a middle way, which works in some cases (e.g. cherry bombs not being growable from cherries but available in xenobio if you're dedicated enough).
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #404440

Different people are trying different solutions to a problem they perceive.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #404470

It seems like people are trying to keep PRing things until they get what they want merged in some form. That sounds completely against denying a pr. For it to be made over and over until they get what they want...
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #404473

Denying the pr doesn't deny the idea of something, it's denying the way someone is doing it. It's understandable for other people who liked something from that denied pr to take a crack at the idea with a different angle and multiple people trying the idea leads to the best one picked for the maintainer, so it's actually pretty good.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #404492

I never thought about it like that, I'm still salty about a new nerf pr everytime I have hope that something won't get nerfed. Sad!
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #404512

rest assured that we're not so silly as to fall for obvious examples