Virtual Reality Feedback/Ideas Thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: Virtual Reality Feedback/Ideas Thread

Post by somerandomguy » #412461

Bottom post of the previous page:

Mechpilot outfit, gives you a device that lets you call in a mech and equipment
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #412472

somerandomguy wrote:Mechpilot outfit, gives you a device that lets you call in a mech and equipment
we /titanfall/ now
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #412487

somerandomguy wrote:Mechpilot outfit, gives you a device that lets you call in a mech and equipment
remake titanfall in ss13
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #412560

I'm unsure if kor is okay with more battle arenas at this point in time, I personally love the idea of mech combat.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #412602

Dax Dupont wrote:someone else
our best contributor he gets so much done, what a guy :roll:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #412612

So, I've been informed that people have literally been banned over experimenting with in-game features. Ala causing too many explosions messing with gasses and the super matter. If we want people to embrace "Consequences" maybe we should make them less severe? Otherwise, this is the perfect fix. People can test things with other people, get real player vs player practice. Instead of testing them in the game we all take so seriously and getting punished.

Honestly, who the fuck wants a consequence for making the wrong decision anyway. It's why I'm so tense about admin remarks. It's not a VR problem, it's a policy problem! VR is just the real-time solution that adheres and works around the problem. If it gets removed, the "consequences" will still be a problem and still won't be toyed around with!
► Show Spoiler
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #412615

Either just sims or hacking (honestly fuck how stupidly simple emag is) there should be ways to sneak in "u die in da game u die in real life" or at least minor damage in through equipment sabotage, high security measures or an enemy hacker.

Neural nets should be needed for better hacking and should make the consequences for getting fucked in the bad cyber way brain destruction.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #412619

Shadowflame909 wrote:So, I've been informed that people have literally been banned over experimenting with in-game features. Ala causing too many explosions messing with gasses and the super matter. If we want people to embrace "Consequences" maybe we should make them less severe? Otherwise, this is the perfect fix. People can test things with other people, get real player vs player practice. Instead of testing them in the game we all take so seriously and getting punished.

Honestly, who the fuck wants a consequence for making the wrong decision anyway. It's why I'm so tense about admin remarks. It's not a VR problem, it's a policy problem! VR is just the real-time solution that adheres and works around the problem. If it gets removed, the "consequences" will still be a problem and still won't be toyed around with!
I burned down toxins the other day because I missed the changelog that said that unwrenching pipes now makes them leak and I wasn't even bwoinked. Are people really getting banned for making mistakes or testing things? If you "experiment" with stuff and end up making accidents and explosions every round then yeah, this is a problem, but VR will only make it worse because now you're guaranteed to be noted or banned if you mess up because "should've tested in VR". The game moments I like the most are when I can teach a new guy how to do things, but with VR they'll have no incentive to since they can just try things on their own with no need to ask anyone.

VR is good as it is, a place to TEST YOUR MIGHT and try stuff and admin-only items that you'll never find in game. Also I'm looking forward to people getting warned for "griefing" in VR or starting an escalation because they spawncamped other players.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #412621

Grazyn wrote: I burned down toxins the other day because I missed the changelog that said that unwrenching pipes now makes them leak and I wasn't even bwoinked. Are people really getting banned for making mistakes or testing things? If you "experiment" with stuff and end up making accidents and explosions every round then yeah, this is a problem, but VR will only make it worse because now you're guaranteed to be noted or banned if you mess up because "should've tested in VR". The game moments I like the most are when I can teach a new guy how to do things, but with VR they'll have no incentive to since they can just try things on their own with no need to ask anyone.

VR is good as it is, a place to TEST YOUR MIGHT and try stuff and admin-only items that you'll never find in game. Also I'm looking forward to people getting warned for "griefing" in VR or starting an escalation because they spawncamped other players.
VR doesn't really have that much to offer. Other then training with weapons until you get bored after 10 minutes and do something else other then shoot weapons. But, it's a good time waster that's better then someone griefing. Also people already spawn camp in VR. But it's not even an issue considering there are like 10 spawns and 5 are on each side of the huge map. Somehow spawning in the same one 10 times is just bad luck. It's pretty fun to die in VR honestly.

Also, yeah they're at least getting an admin remark if it affects the round in a huge way. Like someone flooding too much of a gas into the SM and then going to do there team antag goals. Accidentally ruining the round for there buddies because they made an unstoppable anomaly flooding tesla machine that went off while they were focused on something else. I'm just saying if you don't want people to get bwoinked for being experimental. Then maybe it's the rules that need a change and not this feature? "should of tested it in VR" wouldn't even be a thing if you change the policy on consequences!
► Show Spoiler
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #412626

Yes it is definitely a rules problem, you shouldn't be noted for making mistakes unless you're doing it often, or the circumstances around your mistake are suspicious of griefing.

People who want to test complex stuff like bomb mixing or atmos are already doing it on a private server, the reason is that rounds rarely are long enough to test anything, and on a private server they can have admin tools to better test stuff (like explosion size log). This doesn't make VR any better for testing, if anything it's worse because it would have a different map, and people would rather test it on the actual map to replicate it more easily.

This only leaves new players, and as I already said I think it's better they just learn like they've being doing for years, by asking other players in game or even ahelping
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #412630

How many times do I have to state that VR isn't going to replace testing other than Loadouts. There's no way to make toxins, there's no virology or chemical testing either.

This is purely gonna be missions and the only testing stuff is gonna be playing with weapons you normally can't and trying out loadouts.

No player should and/or will ever be told "go try it in VR first or get bwoinked".
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #413205

Emagged sleepers either need some kind of subtle tell or even better eject dead bodies, if you die in VR it's unlikely your body will ever be discovered since people either don't even notice the sleeper is occupied or just assume you're playing. At the same time you don't want people to randomly pull you out of VR just to check if you're dead, either.

Since they're in such a relatively remote area it feels like the sleepers get emagged every time there's traitors on the station and they're more like a death trap than a place to screw around in
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #413207

make the sleeper bloody on the inside
I play Boris Pepper.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413241

Please just leave this tiny itty bit of paranoia in.

Always give your best in VR like it's real and you'll live

Also suit sensors exist
iksyp
Byond Username: Iksyp

Post by iksyp » #413498

reskin vr sleepers
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413511

Grazyn wrote:Please just leave this tiny itty bit of paranoia in.

Always give your best in VR like it's real and you'll live

Also suit sensors exist

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #413543

Let me put it this way

I always turn on suit sensors, 3 out of the 4 times I tried VR they were emagged and I spent the rest of the round dead inside the sleeper

And that's why I'm not going to use VR ever again
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #413550

After the first time you should've asked a doctor to periodically check your sensors because you were going in VR, in case it was emagged. Or the AI.

There are already valid tools to deal with it without resorting to a big "THIS SLEEPER IS EMAGGED DO NOT USE" sign
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #413564

But that would mean having to rely on someone else in my "I am awesome" simulator!

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #413773

kor still equating vr to the actual game I see
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #417493

Replace perma with VR sleepers you can't leave without outside assistance, or hacking them ahead of time.

Place prisoners into permanent VR storage, interrogate them in virtual cells, torture them and/or rehabilitate them through remedial programs.
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #417545

Anonmare wrote:Replace perma with VR sleepers you can't leave without outside assistance, or hacking them ahead of time.

Place prisoners into permanent VR storage, interrogate them in virtual cells, torture them and/or rehabilitate them through remedial programs.
We altered carbon boys
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #417548

Add a master VR controller or something, like the holodeck that lets you swap or load up mini levels or attempt to restore to defaults if the area gets too fucked (I'm aware on larger maps this would cause severe lag or be outright impossible, but on smaller ones it should be workable. Its the same thing as the thunderdome.)

Allow someone go GM/DM the VR simulator, throw down furniture, snappable architecture and spawn mobs and gear to throw against the VR players or even simulate events like Xenos or being overrun by swarmers in VR. Robustness training begins here.

If the Perma option above is was enacted, GM could use prisoners as NPCs and actors for their minicampaigns.

Boss fight mode where megafauna, end of round events like ascended slings or other stupidly powerful VR entities could be fought with a varying array of gear to the syndicunt uplink items, to NT armory lasers and mechs as the GM/RNJesus allows.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #417559

>add feature so people can test bombs and shit no problem no consequences
>Admins find excuse to ban for it

Amazing work guys
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #417566

iamgoofball wrote:>add feature so people can test bombs and shit no problem no consequences
>Admins find excuse to ban for it

Amazing work guys
Is anyone really surprised by this?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #417577

the sad thing is that goof is entirely correct

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #417615

Davidchan wrote:Add a master VR controller or something, like the holodeck that lets you swap or load up mini levels or attempt to restore to defaults if the area gets too fucked (I'm aware on larger maps this would cause severe lag or be outright impossible, but on smaller ones it should be workable. Its the same thing as the thunderdome.)

Allow someone go GM/DM the VR simulator, throw down furniture, snappable architecture and spawn mobs and gear to throw against the VR players or even simulate events like Xenos or being overrun by swarmers in VR. Robustness training begins here.

If the Perma option above is was enacted, GM could use prisoners as NPCs and actors for their minicampaigns.

Boss fight mode where megafauna, end of round events like ascended slings or other stupidly powerful VR entities could be fought with a varying array of gear to the syndicunt uplink items, to NT armory lasers and mechs as the GM/RNJesus allows.
>be GM
>traitor in normal round
>spawn instagib rifles and eshields
>spawn telescrolls
>other traitor goes into VR
>teles out
>murders the whole station
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #417645

somerandomguy wrote:
Davidchan wrote:Add a master VR controller or something, like the holodeck that lets you swap or load up mini levels or attempt to restore to defaults if the area gets too fucked (I'm aware on larger maps this would cause severe lag or be outright impossible, but on smaller ones it should be workable. Its the same thing as the thunderdome.)

>be GM
>traitor in normal round
>spawn telescrolls
>teles out
If people are able to tele out of VR that's a code end problem. Much like how suicide verbs in VR kill you for real.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #417648

Davidchan wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:

>be GM
>traitor in normal round
>spawn telescrolls
>teles out
If people are able to tele out of VR that's a code end problem. Much like how suicide verbs in VR kill you for real.
1) most things block it, telespell/scroll doesn't
2) ghost was changed, dunno about normal suicide
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #417692

Just make VR objects incapable of existing outside of VR like holodeck items/mobs
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #417703

Anonmare wrote:Just make VR objects incapable of existing outside of VR like holodeck items/mobs
And how do you tell if it's in vr
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #417706

Make it an area check
Is this place a VR environment? If yes, continue existing. If not, QDEL self.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #417721

Anonmare wrote:Make it an area check
Is this place a VR environment? If yes, continue existing. If not, QDEL self.
How do you apply that to the item then
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #417724

Just take the code from the holodeck in tgstation/code/modules/holodeck/area_copy.dm and alter it to apply to VR.

It's not my job to do the coder's jobs for them
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #420724

What about a VR lavaland with an armory full of KA mods and plasma cutters/different types of armor and large rooms with single megafauna. Let people practice on them without the risk of dying forever.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #420737

Anuv wrote:What about a VR lavaland with an armory full of KA mods and plasma cutters/different types of armor and large rooms with single megafauna. Let people practice on them without the risk of dying forever.
Have one big room and a button that spawns a megafauna and deletes the exisiting one, so there's more space and reuseability

Also don't forget crushers, medipens, and (maybe) stabilized legion cores
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #420750

Anuv wrote:What about a VR lavaland with an armory full of KA mods and plasma cutters/different types of armor and large rooms with single megafauna. Let people practice on them without the risk of dying forever.
no
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #420816

What about VR but admins actually adminbussed me in VR :( I wanna melee a admin controlled megafauna ahhh.
► Show Spoiler
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #424797

What ever happened to the Raging mages VR idea?