The lavaland xenomorph ruin

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Do you personally love this ruin?

Yes
32%
No
68%

Total votes: 19

Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Re: The lavaland xenomorph ruin

Post by Gamarr » #418884

Bottom post of the previous page:

Remove xenomorphs. Remove that eyesore of a shitty ruin full of crap npc mobs.

Also it is wonderful to bring back the idea of making ghosts unable to spy where everything is before hopping into one of those ruin spawns.
captain sawrge
Byond Username: Sawrge

Post by captain sawrge » #418885

xenos are really fucking horrible and i welcome any change to the game that lessens their ability to make an appearance
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #418930

Ash lizards are not an antag, they are a hostile ghost role.

If you don’t want to play ash walker don’t go ash walker.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #418933

Cobby wrote:Ash lizards are not an antag, they are a hostile ghost role.

If you don’t want to play ash walker don’t go ash walker.
I agree with you there, people seem to think ash walkers are "GET ON THE STATION AND MURDERBONE EVERYONE FREE ANTAG ROLE XDD"

When it's actually just killing fauna with spears, and making yourself look cool with bone armor. The role objective is to EXPEL the miners off of lavaland. It never says to invade the station and start killing people.

Yet this is about xenomorphs!
► Show Spoiler
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #418936

They can slaughter the station too as it fits with their text. Still, not an antag.

Bum rushing alien roles, regardless of exactly what your ghost role is, is not allowed by your flavor text.

For the alien ruin itself I’ve already said the lava moat was a bad fix in the PR and the actual nest needs to be in the center of the ruin. That or remove the ruin, not sure why Xenos need to be there.

As for Xenos, they were butchered by “no rng” mentality
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #420650

Cobby wrote:They can slaughter the station too as it fits with their text. Still, not an antag.

Bum rushing alien roles, regardless of exactly what your ghost role is, is not allowed by your flavor text.

For the alien ruin itself I’ve already said the lava moat was a bad fix in the PR and the actual nest needs to be in the center of the ruin. That or remove the ruin, not sure why Xenos need to be there.

Xeno ruin exists as a potential way for xenos to enter the round clearly. Also gives antag miner other potential options. Also there were ruins dating back to the asteroid with a single facehugger in them
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #420690

Bombadil wrote:
Cobby wrote:They can slaughter the station too as it fits with their text. Still, not an antag.

Xeno ruin exists as a potential way for xenos to enter the round clearly. Also gives antag miner other potential options. Also there were ruins dating back to the asteroid with a single facehugger in them
It exists as a way to bring xenos into the round, but the idea is probably a miner either brings it to xenobio where they can potentially get free, or a traitor intentionally causes an outbreak with it. Preset ghost roles didn't exist when the red asteroid was still a thing, so there wasn't any real chance of something like a beach bum or ash lizard rushing it for xenomorphs.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #420938

Has everyone just forgotten that xenos and facehuggers have existed on mining for ages, well before Lavaland, and were never a significant problem then?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #420943

Mining wasn't such a coveted job back then, it was boring as shit and miners only mined what was strictly necessary without exploring much. And the facehugger "ruin" was just a 3x3 random room in the asteroid which was near impossible to find, since it wasn't even guaranteed to spawn. Then there was the old abandoned outpost which was static and covered in weeds and shit but it didn't have any facehuggers inside. Why? Because when it used to have them, miners would beeline for it and spawn xenos every round.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #421000

Grazyn wrote:Mining wasn't such a coveted job back then, it was boring as shit and miners only mined what was strictly necessary without exploring much. And the facehugger "ruin" was just a 3x3 random room in the asteroid which was near impossible to find, since it wasn't even guaranteed to spawn. Then there was the old abandoned outpost which was static and covered in weeds and shit but it didn't have any facehuggers inside. Why? Because when it used to have them, miners would beeline for it and spawn xenos every round.
History repeats itself, I just want to get to the phase where it's a 3x3 room hidden in rock that doesnt spawn all the time again.

Edit: And also hopefully not allowing ghost roles to even go inside the ruin. Because it's literally metagame central, and if a ghost role finds it. You always know it wasn't a "lucky" find.
► Show Spoiler
TheWiznard
Github User
Byond Username: TheWiznard
Github Username: TheWiznard

Post by TheWiznard » #421261

Shadowflame909 wrote:We must be living in AUs. I see it very often, so often that it's made me salty enough to make this post. It's not like I'm the only one who's salted about this ruin and the most common answer is to replace the eggs with organs so we can't get any "le face-hugger accidentally infected the clown on station xDDD oops"
so twice?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #421443

Yes, this common situation has happened only 2 times. Because in this reality there have only been 2 rounds on bagil.
► Show Spoiler
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #424603

top ten most obvious fucking self antagging incidents
number 1. running straight past the mobs, into the egg room, into a facehugger, and ghosting IMMEDIATELY

fucking lmao, dudes
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #424638

Ayy Lemoh wrote:Image
top ten most obvious fucking self antagging incidents
number 1. running straight past the mobs, into the egg room, into a facehugger, and ghosting IMMEDIATELY

fucking lmao, dudes
>"wait is that bannable"
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424642

>Like this doesn't happen every round where the ruin is near a beach bum/ash lizard tribe
► Show Spoiler
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #424670

I really don't understand why they didn't just remap it and put the Xenomorph queen chamber at the center

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #424695

Bombadil wrote:I really don't understand why they didn't just remap it and put the Xenomorph queen chamber at the center
Be the change you want to see.
Grab those git tools and dreammaker.
EagleWiz
Byond Username: EagleWiz

Post by EagleWiz » #424779

I've been informed by an admin before that a player running to the ruin as an ashlizard, teaming up with a spawned player controled drone, and taking them to the station via the mining station shuttle wasn't an actionable thing. This ruin is basically only ever used for self-antaging.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424786

^ exactly.
► Show Spoiler
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #424824

EagleWiz wrote:I've been informed by an admin before that a player running to the ruin as an ashlizard, teaming up with a spawned player controled drone, and taking them to the station via the mining station shuttle wasn't an actionable thing. This ruin is basically only ever used for self-antaging.
Who told you that?
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #424874

EagleWiz wrote:I've been informed by an admin before that a player running to the ruin as an ashlizard, teaming up with a spawned player controled drone, and taking them to the station via the mining station shuttle wasn't an actionable thing. This ruin is basically only ever used for self-antaging.
Make an admin complaint because whoever told you that is extremely wrong
Togopal
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Togopal

Post by Togopal » #424894

Iatots wrote:
Who told you that?
I did, and this was several months ago. I'm 85% sure EagleWiz is exaggerating this but I indeed did tell him that something involving an ash lizard and xenomorph on lavaland wasn't actionable. I hate this ruin now more than anybody else so it was a mistake to not take action against the xenomorph in the first place

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #424920

Add some xeno spitter turrets and put queen in the center lets see solo med doctors get impregnated then

Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424953

Dax Dupont wrote:
Make an admin complaint because whoever told you that is extremely wrong
>Several admins say the exact opposite thing as Dax Dupont.

W O W it appears like that there's no set stance on this.
► Show Spoiler
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #425002

Invest some skillpoints into reading comprehension 909.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #425009

Invest some skillpoints into not being a dick 909
► Show Spoiler
Iatots

Post by Iatots » #425014

Several admins have expressed their opinion on the general behavior of giving up one's round to spawn a xeno drawing from the ghostpool yes; but the only admin other than DaxDupont that expressed their opinion on one lavaland fauna ghostrole and a station ghostrole teaming up to bring xenos to the station was the admin that handled the issue, and they expressed regret. Also, who are these admins saying the exact opposite of what DaxDupont is saying?
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #428289

This ruin has always been a lazy, blatant rip of the hive I made for an away mission a long time ago, and it shows.

I think it'd be best if it was taken out, and redesigned in its entirety as a space ruin. Ye olde research station experiment gone wrong sort of deal. It'd be far more isolated, look much nicer, and make way more sense than having xenos on lavaland -- a species that hates fire and heat.
Apparently I was an director or something.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #428586

WJohnston wrote:make way more sense than having xenos on lavaland -- a species that hates fire and heat.
this... is a very good point
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #428641

pointless because nobody will bother to map it anyway
I play Boris Pepper.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #428669

Bluespace wrote:pointless because nobody will bother to map it anyway
Now while Wjohnston giving the idea doesn't mean he'll do it, he is the person who taught me how to map better aka don't make autistic boxes which look ugly unless it's actually necessary which isn't 9/10 times.

He also really likes xenomorphs.

He also made the original hive.

I think he has a good chance of doing it with those odds.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #428777

I don't even know what this thread is about any more.

If admins want the ruin gone they should bug the headadmins to disable it in config.

If someone wants to remove the ruin after that it's fine.

If someone wants to make a space version we're not going to complain either.