Explosive Holoparasites

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Explosive Holoparasites

Post by Shadowflame909 » #423823

So I've seen a whole lot of people complaining about having a locker rigged to explode pushed into them, thus accounting as "contact" and instant critting them. When they didn't even make any actions. I was pretty sure that the only way to trigger explosive holoparasites was clicking an item with your mouse, but apparently you can just push rigged items into people and instant crit them. I've seen some serious murderbone with this, to the point of it seems like the people abusing this wants it to get removed entirely.

Yet, I've seen like a couple defenders. So, how do you feel about this. Please give thoughts and feedback on this coding decision.
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: Explosive Holoparasites

Post by Lumbermancer » #423832

I can't even recall the exact point in time when losing stopped being a part of the game.

Anyway, holoparasites are shit. It's a back-seat traitoring for powergamers.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #424084

> trap based holopara that forgos the trap design and is a better combat holo

Dumb
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #424179

I'm seeing a whole lot of "I've heard people reporting" and "apparently" in the OP

have you tested it
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424189

I watched it happen, Y e s
► Show Spoiler
Gratian
Byond Username: Pdgamer

Post by Gratian » #424200

If this gets removed KILLER QUEEN would need to get buffed. As it stands the explosives time out too quickly for the "intended" style of play. Or possibly by removing the requirement for the holopara to manifest, having him be able to alt-click shit while inside the user. I think the latter would be more broken than closet charging.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #424204

So, wait. The bombs expire quickly and have zero arming time, is that it?
Give them a few seconds' arming time and make them last for much longer, then.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #424221

losing is part of the game is an argument only the maintainers/design leads get to make, it's not useful to have 30 other people dogpile in with the same comment that adds literally nothing to the understanding of the topic.

In the meantime if you have something actually useful to add please share.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424234

I didn't really add my stance, if that's why all the people who just made an account started salting at me. So, the bomb time lasts for 20 seconds. On high pop this is a pretty good amount of time if the item is a GREAT one. like an IED or a taser. I think the cooldown is also 20 seconds. Yet *Insert mass murderboner here* can rig a locker to explode and just shove it into people. Then shove them into the locker, then rinse and repeat until the entire server is dead and then cremate that giant locker.

Maybe people need to git good and avoid the person who keeps accidentally shoving the explosive lockers at people that instant crit. But if you're one of the first targets of this, and you get locker bombed. How do you defend against it?
► Show Spoiler
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #424236

Too stealthy for my liking, the explosion doesn't leave any trace and it breaks jumpsuits, so you never have to worry about suit sensors

Using lockers to bump into people is bullshit and should be removed, disable the trap if the item moves
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #424238

Just make grabbing the thing count as touching it
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #424412

In reality this would be better off as a device you append onto items rather than having a player-role dedicated to clicking on things infinitely (sans cd).

Of course, someone is going to mention that ever player has a role dedicated to clicking on things indefinitely but you understand what i'm saying.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424413

Cobby wrote:In reality this would be better off as a device you append onto items rather than having a player-role dedicated to clicking on things infinitely (sans cd).

Of course, someone is going to mention that ever player has a role dedicated to clicking on things indefinitely but you understand what i'm saying.
So like a C4 STICKY BOMB THAT ATTACHS ONTO PEOPLE WHO PICK THEM UP.
► Show Spoiler
Gratian

Post by Gratian » #424451

So like a stealthy hot potato?

How about we actually model it around Killer Queen, and have it be able to set one bomb that lasts forever (or very long) but it can only have one at a time. Also you could just make it so you can't grab things that are bombed, but he would need a buff in that regard.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #424457

The question that needs to be asked is if the mechanic is fun for the victim and if it is fun for the user.

I dont see how a nearly instacrit bomb that is completely undetectable to the victim before the explosion and requires little to no prep time from the user, as well as not even lasting long enough to make any REAL traps is a fun mechanic.

Sometimes straight references dont make the best gameplay, hell just reducing the damage of the explosion so the main factor about it is a stun would improve the mechanic in my opinion.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424459

>Useless bomb that just stuns people.

If thats the only thing that happens. It'd make it pretty useless, honestly.
► Show Spoiler
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #424462

Shadowflame909 wrote:>Useless bomb that just stuns people.

If thats the only thing that happens. It'd make it pretty useless, honestly.
Reduce the damage not remove it. Think IED without the fire effect. Plus explosion stuns are a knockout not just a stun.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424464

Now you have me thinking. If the KO lasts like 15-20 seconds, and the effect only appeared to the person who picked up the bomb item. You could use the holoparasite for stealth, and just use your stand to kill them in maint or something. Or even kidnap them. It'd be a good alternative, but it wouldn't really be explosive anymore. Would it?
► Show Spoiler
Gratian

Post by Gratian » #424465

Shadowflame909 wrote:Now you have me thinking. If the KO lasts like 15-20 seconds, and the effect only appeared to the person who picked up the bomb item. You could use the holoparasite for stealth, and just use your stand to kill them in maint or something. Or even kidnap them. It'd be a good alternative, but it wouldn't really be explosive anymore. Would it?
Unfortunately as it stands (HA GET IT) you can't really use Killer Queen for combat. Because he randomly teleports whoever he hits he is just as likely to kill someone as he is to teleport them to safety. I actually have no idea why he does that, seems like a weird addition.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #424468

sad
► Show Spoiler
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #424677

Because killer queen just used to be the lul random stand. Random explosions and teleportation
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #426127

Dr_bee wrote:The question that needs to be asked is if the mechanic is fun for the victim and if it is fun for the user.

I dont see how a nearly instacrit bomb that is completely undetectable to the victim before the explosion and requires little to no prep time from the user, as well as not even lasting long enough to make any REAL traps is a fun mechanic.

Sometimes straight references dont make the best gameplay, hell just reducing the damage of the explosion so the main factor about it is a stun would improve the mechanic in my opinion.
It's not undetectable though, if you examine it there's a special message
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #493605

So explosive lockers will insta crit anyone, mostly. With no interaction, nice...

I thought we had done away with insta kills, for the same reason that parapen, tasers, C4 and many many more insta kill/disable devices were removed?

Who thought this was a good idea?!
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493607

Probably the same people that allow you to attach c4 directly to people with no obvious warning if you don't examine them.
► Show Spoiler
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #493610

Shadowflame909 wrote:Probably the same people that allow you to attach c4 directly to people with no obvious warning if you don't examine them.
I was more referring to the insta gib of the C4. Sneaky stuff I'm kinda all up for. Inventive ways, up for. "loud and proud" is simply over too quick to make anything like paranoia that the game is supposed to have. It just makes you annoyed and powerless.

I mean whats even the counter to this method? Kill/arrest/stun anyone dragging a locker? Problem is that lockers mostly defend against any ranged attacks and getting into melee range is how you get insta crit.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493612

My favorite new gimmick is buying syndicate bolas and shurikens, and attaching x4 to it. If your caught death within seconds. The downside is that sometimes the throw mechanic glitched and you get hit by your own bola. Causing instant death to yourself.
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Tue May 14, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #493624

There's really no question that explosive holoparas are cancer and I personally was too lazy to remove but I 100% would or at minimum make it a remote detonation. Explosive holopara is designed to be a holopara version of an airlock charge, and we removed airlock charges for being bullshit.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #494171

The origin of the reference, Killer Queen, seemingly either had to detonate the bomb themselves or rig it to blow upon someone touching the object. It's unfortunately vague because what the fuck is consistency with standos, but we could just scrap the latter half and have the holopara rig objects to act as small explosives they need to self detonate (and give the master some free grenades, which seems good for the tc price), while retaining the reference.

The same stand also had a remote control RC bomb it could control. Might not be a bad idea to pinch as an alternative to airlock explodies.