Stun/Slip Rework

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Stun/Slip Rework

Post by oranges » #432935

I am going to fuck with stuns and slips

I am changing slipping to not drop your weapons, and still let you click on things and you crawl around for a short period - note if you're grabbed during this time, you can't move

Potentially: I'm thinking about making it so you can't access your inventory while in the crawling state.

I am changing stuns to also prevent hand usage but for a shorter period, but immobilize the target for longer, so you can reapply the stun when close to finish them off.

Slips become mobility counters only and you still have to finish the job with other means and potentially get close to your target depending on your weapons, and if they have a ranged weapon, it's not so cut and dry.

Stuns are still a hard counter, but there still needs to be a way for security to be able to grab people without getting reverse harmbatoned, although I guess if both sides could use weapons then stuns would be signficantly less dangerous.

We'll see how this plays out and then look at further adjustments.

Implementation plan:
Add a new movement mode, crawling, that is for crit and slipped modes (maybe we will let you also crawl if you want to be role playing a anime adminuseless person or something). You can still use items in your hands but you move much slower, A config option should be present that also disables use of inventory (so that you only have the items in your hand)

All non electrical stuns should be switched to transition people forcefully into that movement mode until the stun timer has elapsed (use the traits system)

Only electrical stuns will remain as also prevent interaction with the world (for half the time of the overall stun), otherwise the effects are the same as above. Ideally - a short total immobilization as you are stunned (no moving or using items, should be slightly more than the time required to handcuff someone), then you crawl around in shock for another period of time (standard stun length, could be lengthened)
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Re: Stun/Slip Rework

Post by leibniz » #432938

madlad

godspeed
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
Coolguy3289
Byond Username: Coolguy3289

Post by Coolguy3289 » #432942

I like this rework!
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #432943

good ideas here 10/10
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Spyroshark
Byond Username: Spyroshark

Post by Spyroshark » #432945

being able to use ranged weapons while laying down would be very unfair. Maybe limit what can be used while crawling?
it's me. a real gamer.
subject217
Github User
Byond Username: Subject217
Github Username: subject217

Post by subject217 » #432948

Spyroshark wrote:being able to use ranged weapons while laying down would be very unfair. Maybe limit what can be used while crawling?
Stun on stun combat still comes with hands being disabled. Being able to use ranged weapons when being slipped is a good thing, and if your justification for it not being so is "I can't alt click a fire extinguisher and loot a security officer instantly!" then you're part of the problem.

Edit: Explicitly, consider the good old maintenance 1 tile water slip trap. If this slip change is in place, you can still use it easily as an escape mechanism, it just doesn't become a free ride to sec gear. One of the biggest issues with /tg/ speed and the way it plays out is that in a chase, there is a massive advantage to whoever is running away. This change lessens that advantage considerably when you've only got slips to work with.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #432949

This is going to be a disaster like every attempt I can't wait to see it.

My only suggestion would be you can't move at all if you have something in both hands. You need one arm free to crawl.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #432964

What about flashbangs. They must remain the same.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #432970

lmao@security main going all "your stuns should get fucked but not mine"
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #432979

Flashbangs should make you crawl around like any other nonelectrical stun. Which category would disablers fall under? Riot shotguns w/ rubber shot? I'm assuming the latter would be nonelectrical, which is fair enough since they're already kinda stupid.

Overall I think these are gonna be good changes.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #432981

I assume this applies to cult stuns as well?

I feel like this is going to make stamina damage much stronger.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #432987

Would soap still qualify as a stun? I’d say their rarity and the fact that they take a little skill to pull off makes them better than other slips, not to mention they’re part of ss13.

I know it sounds like I’m trying to keep some powergame tool (kinda is) but now if you throw soap to slip, you can’t reclaim it? I feel as if slips would work better if its a short hard stun (you keep your weapons in hand, 1-2 seconds), followed by crawling and being able to use melee shit if it was in hand already.

For what it matters I think the current stun system is fine. Slips just need changing.
[this space reserved]
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #432991

Lumbermancer wrote:What about flashbangs. They must remain the same.
I'm pretty sure flashbangs and flashes stun so they're not useless.

They blind you in real life. Only way you'd fall down when blind is if you moved around and tripped.

It would make more sense if you crawled then.
Terra_GS
Byond Username: Terra_GS

Post by Terra_GS » #433007

Hope this makes combat more interesting than just whoever stuns first wins. Also looking forward to complaints about people crawling under plastic flaps.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #433011

full support +1
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #433015

Stop trying to fuck with stuns it's only going to shit up combat even worse.

But of all the shit ideas this one seems the least shit. It's still not going to work though.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #433018

DemonFiren wrote:lmao@security main going all "your stuns should get fucked but not mine"
Do you want me to use 12 gauge buckshot instead?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #433027

wesoda25 wrote:Would soap still qualify as a stun? I’d say their rarity and the fact that they take a little skill to pull off makes them better than other slips, not to mention they’re part of ss13.
run down hallway -> person chasing you -> throw soap backwards -> it slips them before they even see it because of speed

wow that sure was hard!
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #433044

At least if they kill you they have to cut your arm off to get your gun
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Suicidalpickles
Byond Username: SuicidalPickles

Post by Suicidalpickles » #433045

As somebody who frequently uses waterbottle slips, I do have to say this change I wouldn't mind much, the meta of baiting sec/command into chases and slipping them for a free weapon is pretty dumb with how easy it tends to be.

Not sure about the whole using items while slipping at the same time thing tho. Maybe somehow give ranged weapons more inaccuracy while slipping?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #433046

repostan form discord
If I'm reading this right it sounds like combat will devolve into two semi-stunned people tazing each other from the floor until one of them runs out?
Like if you can still crawl and attack from the ground while "stunned" what's stopping you from just stunning back if you're equipped for it
Also sounds like things that kill super quick like the esword will be basically unaffected while everything else is effectively nerfed globally
I don't really get how these changes really improve anything but again I might be misinterpreting
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #433050

Why would you bother stunning back when you could use lethals?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #433052

Wyzack wrote:Why would you bother stunning back when you could use lethals?
for the short period of preventing hand usage. if you're stunned just stun them back
Spoiler:
subject217
Github User

Post by subject217 » #433066

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Spoiler:
repostan form discord
If I'm reading this right it sounds like combat will devolve into two semi-stunned people tazing each other from the floor until one of them runs out?
Like if you can still crawl and attack from the ground while "stunned" what's stopping you from just stunning back if you're equipped for it
Also sounds like things that kill super quick like the esword will be basically unaffected while everything else is effectively nerfed globally
I don't really get how these changes really improve anything but again I might be misinterpreting
only slips would let you fire back immediately, tasers and the like would still remove your ability to use your hands, which should include dropping whatever you're holding. oranges hasn't elaborated on "short period" but my guess is that it'd be like 5 seconds of hands disabled and 10 seconds of being knocked down.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433096

subject217 wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Spoiler:
repostan form discord
only slips would let you fire back immediately, tasers and the like would still remove your ability to use your hands, which should include dropping whatever you're holding. oranges hasn't elaborated on "short period" but my guess is that it'd be like 5 seconds of hands disabled and 10 seconds of being knocked down.
10 seconds is a decade in ss13 combat time.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #433126

Imagine, if you will, a taser working like a real taser. You shoot, electrode latches onto your target, and then you pump electricity through it. But, you have to hold it, to keep it stunned. And, if you holster your taser, stun stops. You ought to hold target tased for a while, and drain his stamina, for a longer stun.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #433204

And the most robust security award goes to...
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #433214

the guy with the grenade implant and autocloner in maint

lizards not having the last laugh is non-canon

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433224

CosmicScientist wrote:comic
nice

I already walk around with a lethal compact shotgun and blast people's torso off at any opportunity
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #433276

If possible, make ranged stuns less powerful than melee stuns. That way disablers and tasers are mostly for slowing down a perp but ole' painless stun batons are the primary method of arresting.

Leads to a loop of shoot your target to weaken them then go in for the more powerful stun with the baton, leading to a bit more depth to non-lethal combat.

But if you are going to nerf stuns, consider increasing the ammo count on energy stun weapons like the taser and disabler, so there is a reason to use them over just shooting the perp into crit with shotgun slugs or lasers.
Pepper
Byond Username: ANIMETIDDIES

Post by Pepper » #433281

What exactly is the planned combat loop here? This looks like it makes it impossible for a solo player to defeat any more than one person in a fight, let alone run away.
RogueSteampunker
Byond Username: RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #433337

ITT: oranges actually has a good idea, and the sec mains rise from the taser fields to screech

In all seriousness, though. Sec can and should eat as much of a nerf as the rest of stuns are getting, since "but then I gotta use lethals" does not work as an argument. Seriously, this just makes it so you aren't impossibly fucked when you're slipped. This also means that, if you have a method to reapply that stun, the other man's hands are useless. In this case, you're still stunning and cuffing a perp as usual, only now you gotta actually make sure you get em in a proper grab so they don't crawl away, not just resort to "muh buckshot"

Whereas this ALSO makes the less multi-applyable stuns harder to abuse, effectively leaving sec's toys at a point where they can much more easily keep a person down, at the cost of needing charges.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433356

RogueSteampunker wrote:ITT: oranges actually has a good idea, and the sec mains rise from the taser fields to screech

In all seriousness, though. Sec can and should eat as much of a nerf as the rest of stuns are getting, since "but then I gotta use lethals" does not work as an argument. Seriously, this just makes it so you aren't impossibly fucked when you're slipped. This also means that, if you have a method to reapply that stun, the other man's hands are useless. In this case, you're still stunning and cuffing a perp as usual, only now you gotta actually make sure you get em in a proper grab so they don't crawl away, not just resort to "muh buckshot"

Whereas this ALSO makes the less multi-applyable stuns harder to abuse, effectively leaving sec's toys at a point where they can much more easily keep a person down, at the cost of needing charges.
If stuns aren't effective, crit will become the new stun.
mattroks101
Byond Username: Mattroks101

Post by mattroks101 » #433403

Nice to see a TG InterBay fork.
RogueSteampunker
Byond Username: RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #433404

That's the thing, sticky. They'll still be effective, assuming people don't jump to "well, time to bring out the combat shotties" and instead just realize that they both have every means to reapply the hand-disabling stun, and a means to aggressive grab them to keep them from trying to crawl away.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #433497

mattroks101 wrote:Nice to see a TG InterBay fork.
:ian:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #433504

If you're afraid of being stunned by security, why not just cover up your crimes so sec doesn't come after you? I don't see why an assistant armed with garbage he found in maint shouldn't feel more threatened by a standard security officer than by a run-of-the-mill vigilante.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #433528

RogueSteampunker wrote:ITT: oranges actually has a good idea, and the sec mains rise from the taser fields to screech.
You gonna rise from admin fields to screech that sec switches from non-lethal to lethal. We were just over this, read the comic.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #433529

This is going to be hilariously bad
Noka
Byond Username: RinokaRain

Post by Noka » #433609

let's be real even if this goes well sec mains will ree about "STUNS UNRELIABLE, CRIT JUSTIFIED" no matter how actually reliable stuns are, because the easiest way to get things changed back is to be pants-on-head stupid about the entire fucking affair until maintainers give up and revert

that's how this server pop is

edit: more seriously, slipping working this way shouldn't drop items but should probably disable clicking on shit for about 1s or some reasonable number - so you can't slip and then fire off a perfectly accurate taser shot into the poor arsehole chasing you from the ground. it'd make the meta revolve more around slipping, then running up and disarming them, which would be very similar to what we have now but also much more fair lmao
RobustAndRun
Byond Username: RobustAndRun

Post by RobustAndRun » #433642

Honestly y'all seem very scared of changing things up, let's let coders play around with it without putting up a fuss, experiment with the effects on gameplay in some live tests and if it *really* sucks it can all be reverted.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #433646

RobustAndRun wrote:Honestly y'all seem very scared of changing things up, let's let coders play around with it without putting up a fuss, experiment with the effects on gameplay in some live tests and if it *really* sucks it can all be reverted.
since oranges is head maintainer it actually wont work this way at all, but rather will depend entirely on whether or not HE thinks it sucks
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #433671

Stickymayhem wrote:If stuns aren't effective, crit will become the new stun.
This pretty much. Give sec a reason and they'll just laser any perps into crit before slapping on cuffs and a burnpack.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
py01
Byond Username: Py01

Post by py01 » #433679

Here's a thing i saw in the DM;CA code: Different clothes have different electrical resistances and affect the strength of taser shots. Perhaps certain clothes could give altered resistances to various types of stuns. For example, what if security jackboots cause slips to only put you into the crawling state, while crew members with only regular shoes will be fully stunned.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433680

RobustAndRun wrote:Honestly y'all seem very scared of changing things up, let's let coders play around with it without putting up a fuss, experiment with the effects on gameplay in some live tests and if it *really* sucks it can all be reverted.
We're relying on someone who doesn't play very much and definitely isn't particularly good at combat to decide whether the change they spent time working on is good for the game without any oversight from anyone else and a proven track record of pushing shit through regardless of popularity.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #433684

What's crazy is we've been letting him do it for 3 years now
Cw3040
Byond Username: Cw3040

Post by Cw3040 » #433761

oranges wrote:What's crazy is we've been letting him do it for 3 years now
cat

Anywho, i think this would be good and make players GET good or die trying, just make sec ranged stuns do the same thing
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #433799

Stickymayhem wrote:
We're relying on someone who doesn't play very much and definitely isn't particularly good at combat to decide whether the change they spent time working on is good for the game without any oversight from anyone else and a proven track record of pushing shit through regardless of popularity.
>no oversight

The coders are accountable to the players and I'm the vassal through which they express that accountability

In other words if oranges fucks this up and refuses to back down I have options to rectify the situation so my advise is to stop worrying about if he'll fuck this up and focus on giving him the feedback and information that will help him not fuck up.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #433812

MrStonedOne wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:
>no oversight

The coders are accountable to the players and I'm the vassal through which they express that accountability

In other words if oranges fucks this up and refuses to back down I have options to rectify the situation so my advise is to stop worrying about if he'll fuck this up and focus on giving him the feedback and information that will help him not fuck up.
Fair enough then that's good

I've given my input I'll be happy to give more when we see how the changes actually get implemented
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #433893

MrStonedOne wrote:
Stickymayhem wrote:
>no oversight

>vassal
>mso is the vassal of coderbus
freudian typo of truth here tbh

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: