Economy System Feedback Thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Re: Economy System Feedback Thread

Post by Swindly » #455388

Bottom post of the previous page:

Do we really need to be this prepared for hyperdeflation?

WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #455494

By adding non-static paystands and paystand signallers you've done more to improve economy code than goof has since it was introduced.
--Crocodillo

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #455517

Goof was paid to make goofconomy, not maintain it. You should probably be getting upset at Beesting here considering he paid for it. I'm just taking advantage of the fact this is an open-source game to fix issues I have with it.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #455549

WarbossLincoln wrote:By adding non-static paystands and paystand signallers you've done more to improve economy code than goof has since it was introduced.
FYAD
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #456933

The RnD budget is enormous compared to other departments'. If anyone from cargo gets their hands on the card, they can order 10+ null crates easily over the course of a round.
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #456959

Budget cards need to go. Give control over budgets to the HoP from a static console like goonstation. Make an announcement if the pay budgets get depleted so people know to lynch the HoP or strike due to lack of pay if they decide to spend the station's budget on corgi crates.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456960

Dr_bee wrote:Budget cards need to go. Give control over budgets to the HoP from a static console like goonstation. Make an announcement if the pay budgets get depleted so people know to lynch the HoP or strike due to lack of pay if they decide to spend the station's budget on corgi crates.
That's pretty good. The only budget card that seems to have any use anyways is the CE's and the Hops.

The hops mainly because everything in Hydroponics is so expensive. So you got to get a loan if you want anything good.

The CE for different Engine Rigs.

Everything else can go suck it.

Tldr: If the hop doesn't give me money as a botanist, I rob the clown or I rob the HoP
Last edited by Shadowflame909 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #456991

Dr_bee wrote:Budget cards need to go. Give control over budgets to the HoP from a static console like goonstation. Make an announcement if the pay budgets get depleted so people know to lynch the HoP or strike due to lack of pay if they decide to spend the station's budget on corgi crates.
yeah can someone remove budget cards thanks
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #457008

Cap should keep his too, it's not too much money and it's captain
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #457016

MMMiracles wrote:Goof was paid to make goofconomy, not maintain it. You should probably be getting upset at Beesting here considering he paid for it. I'm just taking advantage of the fact this is an open-source game to fix issues I have with it.
our contributing guidelines expect you to maintain the code you PR to the repo, regardless of your intentions as to why you're making it.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #457022

iamgoofball wrote:
I originally wanted the HoP to get a console but everyone was worried about "trolling." Trust me, the infinite cargo money meme has led to more trolling than that ever could.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #457066

Cobby wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:Goof was paid to make goofconomy, not maintain it. You should probably be getting upset at Beesting here considering he paid for it. I'm just taking advantage of the fact this is an open-source game to fix issues I have with it.
our contributing guidelines expect you to maintain the code you PR to the repo, regardless of your intentions as to why you're making it.
I can't and you know it asshole
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #457100

BeeSting12 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
I originally wanted the HoP to get a console but everyone was worried about "trolling." Trust me, the infinite cargo money meme has led to more trolling than that ever could.
Giving control of all the budgets to a single person who is also the head of cargo doesn't feel like a solution.

"Just lynch the HoP lol" doesn't work, the crew will be happy to have infinite guns and null crates, and there won't be any pay cuts: as I said before, you can deplete the research budget as soon as it refills and it will still refill with enough credits to pay everyone in science. Not to mention that money is still useless outside of cargo so no one would even care about having no pay as long they can get their shotgun crate.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #457108

Cobby wrote:
it's an expectation only
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #457151

Grazyn wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:
Giving control of all the budgets to a single person who is also the head of cargo doesn't feel like a solution.

"Just lynch the HoP lol" doesn't work, the crew will be happy to have infinite guns and null crates, and there won't be any pay cuts: as I said before, you can deplete the research budget as soon as it refills and it will still refill with enough credits to pay everyone in science. Not to mention that money is still useless outside of cargo so no one would even care about having no pay as long they can get their shotgun crate.
Cut research budget by 20x
Problem solved
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #457172

somerandomguy wrote:
Grazyn wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Cut research budget by 20x
Problem solved
Yeah this seems to be a problem with how money is generated. again, steal from goonconomy.

Limit the resources. Make research points worth significantly less dosh, possibly 1/100th of a dosh so you end up with around 300 credits a minute passive generation to the RnD budget. Make removing dosh from the RnD budget remove points, and spending points remove dosh.

Payroll budget goes from department based to just station based. 3 budgets, cargo, payroll, science. all fighting for the same resources, with cargo and science being the only generators, and cargo being the most effective generator.

Engineering and sec budget should be removed. Cargo is supposed to hold the power of the purse so to speak when it comes to supplies, and giving other departments the ability to circumvent their budget restriction removes a lot of their power. Sure you will find QMs who blow the entire budget on guns, but they will probably be deposed by the rest of the station getting stupidly pissed at them.

Dont try to re-invent the wheel.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #457185

Dr_bee wrote:
somerandomguy wrote:snip
Yeah this seems to be a problem with how money is generated. again, steal from goonconomy.

Limit the resources. Make research points worth significantly less dosh, possibly 1/100th of a dosh so you end up with around 300 credits a minute passive generation to the RnD budget. Make removing dosh from the RnD budget remove points, and spending points remove dosh.

Payroll budget goes from department based to just station based. 3 budgets, cargo, payroll, science. all fighting for the same resources, with cargo and science being the only generators, and cargo being the most effective generator.

Engineering and sec budget should be removed. Cargo is supposed to hold the power of the purse so to speak when it comes to supplies, and giving other departments the ability to circumvent their budget restriction removes a lot of their power. Sure you will find QMs who blow the entire budget on guns, but they will probably be deposed by the rest of the station getting stupidly pissed at them.

Dont try to re-invent the wheel.
make adding money to the rnd budget add points too so that (similar to goon genetics) you can spend points to speed up research
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #457189

somerandomguy wrote: make adding money to the rnd budget add points too so that (similar to goon genetics) you can spend points to speed up research
Exactly what I was using as inspiration. Generates some internal conflict among the station even without an antag being thrown into the mix.

I would suggest adding some more desirable stuff to cargo if you go this route however, as RnD is too good compared to cargo at the moment.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #457206

Research budget was originally going to replace research points
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #457257

it's not balanced enough to do that, as per usual for things you work on
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #457265

oranges wrote:it's not balanced enough to do that, as per usual for things you work on
it's make it more balanced than it is now
JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #457303

Grazyn wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:

Give the station's credit cards to the lawyer, it's clear no one else can be trusted with them.
iamgoofball
Github User

Post by iamgoofball » #457308

oranges wrote:it's not balanced enough to do that, as per usual for things you work on
ye
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #458966

Ok, pulling this back on topic. Is there anyone currently working on economy? Someone we could pull in and spitball some ideas and maybe get a plan and timeframe for changes? We really shouldn't let this linger in its current unfinished state.
--Crocodillo

Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #459038

Then remove it.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #459060

It's a basic idea, but there should be something in the roundend report about who squirreled out the most dosh on their person when the shuttle docks..
Richest Officer: Ronald Jackson, Captain (62 982 credits)
Richest Crewmember: Scott Free, Assistant (101 293 credits)
Adds a minor incentive for moneygrubbing characters to make it out alive!
► Show Spoiler
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #459201

I'd like to see some limitations on what you can buy from cargo based on access. Like not being able to buy weapons unless the captain or HOS swipes their card. It could be coded to lift or loosen that restriction if the station is on red alert. Most of the things that are bad in economy are just unpolished and janky because the feature isn't finished, but the big issue that's having a major impact on game balance is the RD being able to buy 2 shotguns per crewman really early with nothing to stop him.
--Crocodillo

somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #459250

I'm going to fix budget cards later today
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #459270

I dunno what you're changing but my idea for budgets is that R&D's income should get distributed to all departments. The fluff is that the station exists to do research. Every job facilitates that goal by providing services for R&D or by just keeping the station running. Doctors heal scientists, the clown entertains them, cargo orders shit for everyone, engineering patches holes when toxins blows up and generates power, the chef makes food for them, Sec keeps hooligans from wrecking science. Everyone/department should get bonuses based on how well R&D is doing instead of R&D getting 100% of it. R&D can't do science if there's no air or power, they starve to death, and 15 greyshirts mug them and take their toys.
--Crocodillo

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #461368

Sci budget has been fix and from the few rounds I’ve checked they’re competing fine with other depts
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #461426

Dunno the exact changes and I haven't played a lot in the last week but when I did play I didn't see gun cargo going out of control at round start like 3/4 of rounds had been. Sci budget fix must be working so far.
--Crocodillo

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #462736

took me 5 min to test and pinpoint what caused the rd budged problem in the github and 1 day to argue with people on how his pr doesnt fix stuff while yall been shitposting in this thread for 1 month+ if you people complain about NuMbErS why not change the NuMbErS
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #463266

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:took me 5 min to test and pinpoint what caused the rd budged problem in the github and 1 day to argue with people on how his pr doesnt fix stuff while yall been shitposting in this thread for 1 month+ if you people complain about NuMbErS why not change the NuMbErS
that's it
I'm writing a git 4 dummies tutorial involving gitkraken(tm) so that absolutely nobody can use the "but using git is hard" excuse
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #463278

make a youtube video or a webm so even people who cant read will be able to make a pr
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #463373

Tlaltecuhtli wrote:make a youtube video or a webm so even people who cant read will be able to make a pr
That would be fantastic. People contributing is always welcome and I understand git/github looks intimidating if all you want to do is make minor changes.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #463513

MisterPerson wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:make a youtube video or a webm so even people who cant read will be able to make a pr
That would be fantastic. People contributing is always welcome and I understand git/github looks intimidating if all you want to do is make minor changes.
I learned dreammaker and mapped out a derelict drone SM so there can be a safe place to practice SM setups and was stopped by not knowing how to set up or use git properly, and the guide on the wiki is ok, but supposedly it is for the wrong kind of git client.

A video guide would be absolutely wonderful. Although it would mean oranges would have to deal with more shitcode.