Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

User avatar
Scones
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am
Location: cooler than thou
Byond Username: Scones

Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Scones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:55 am #43047

In light of the Chemist being a powerhouse role with access to the death-acid (Which has it's own thread) and a couple other choice chemicals, I'd like to start discussion about the fact that Space Lube is in fact undetectable on floor tiles.
Once it has been applied, unless you have seen somebody go head over heels into an incredibly long slip-time or you witnessed the application, there is actually no way to know it is there. Even a slight visual indicator, like a wet floor, would be a huge quality of life improvement for just about everything but traitor chemists.

I think this issue is only highlighted by an earlier round: A chemist filled the entire Security hallway with Space Lube, and unknowing Security officers walked into the invisible death-slide into a waiting bottle of poly-acid held by a particularly bloodthirsty man in a chicken suit, who is going to remain unnamed. There was no way for us to tell that the lube was there - Calls on the radio were nonviable simply because we died in the three clicks after the instant we slipped. It is not only polytricnic acid's power that was the issue here, but the fact that it's use was enabled by the silent, slippery killer.
I'm pretty sick of slipping without any warning and staying down for so long. Something needs to be changed, and it can be as simple as a visual indicator.

tldr; Please for the love of god make lubed floors appear as wet, or have their own slightly shiner, blue-tinted tile.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha



User avatar
Saegrimr
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Saegrimr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:32 am #43053

I thought lube's invisibility was part of the point of using it over water.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.

User avatar
Scones
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am
Location: cooler than thou
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Scones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:47 am #43056

Saegrimr wrote:I thought lube's invisibility was part of the point of using it over water.


Or maybe the fact that it slips for so much longer, and can send you across a room. I think that something has to change, and I don't like gimping things with specialized uses - Just make it visible yet more potent than water by whatever margin.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha

User avatar
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:26 pm
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby MisterPerson » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:49 am #43064

Lube should either be invisible or better at slipping, not both. Thank you for making this thread.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Steelpoint » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:10 am #43069

It should be visible, I can't recall exact values but I do remember seeing several people remaining stunned on the floor for over a minutes until they were helped up.
Image

User avatar
Scones
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am
Location: cooler than thou
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Scones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:15 am #43072

MisterPerson wrote:Lube should either be invisible or better at slipping, not both. Thank you for making this thread.


Thank you for responding in a timely fashion. I know polytricnic may be first on the chopping block to stop the Chemist's overtuned power levels, but I wanted to slip this in while we're discussing chemicals; specifically the sort that come from space cleaner bottles to ruin people's days.

Steelpoint wrote:It should be visible, I can't recall exact values but I do remember seeing several people remaining stunned on the floor for over a minutes until they were helped up.


It slips for a very long time. I could argue it's too long, but it's only an issue (In my opinion) because it more often than not is applied en mass to an area, creating a slipocalypse that is immensely funny to the man with the spray bottle, and infinitely infuriating for the people who can't see it, move in to help others, and then join the fallen on the cold hard tiles of the station's floor.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby paprika » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:47 am #43079

Lube is:

Producable without anything not in chemistry (no rare minerals or advanced recipe knowledge needed to mass produce it)
Can spray over 3 tiles
Lasts about as long as water slipping does (before it goes away)
Stuns longer than almost anything in the game, including taser shots (why did HG not nerf this.)
Is invisible
Ignores noslips, galoshes
Cannot be cleaned or removed in any way
Can launch people 5-6 tiles around, into their death if you create a simple breach
Walking doesn't counter it


There will be the eventual people who try to defend lube as not unbalanced but at best it's a cheap as fuck tool for antags and an extremely obnoxious grief tool at worst.
Last edited by paprika on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
Saegrimr
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Saegrimr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:49 am #43080

Big ass text.

Didn't you already nerf lube stun to stun-prod levels though, or has that not gone through yet?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby paprika » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:55 am #43083

Edit: Yes, lube stuns as long as a stun baton, the longest stun in the game barring cult stun papers.

Stun prod time = 5
Stun baton/lube time = 7

I believe stun batons were kept so high to give sec a lot of breathing room for cuffing, which is understandable, but yeah idk as fun as it is to imagine someone comically trying to get up with lube underneath them for that long it's sort of starting to be the 'someone's either getting banned or lynched over this' every time it shows up in game.

I think the community should be able to decide between:

Visible, long stun (effectively 3 tile wide water slipping from spray bottles with a longer stun and the ability to launch people around)
Invisible, short stun (3 tile spray of invisible slip, regardless of how long the stun is, is super effective for antags who are the only ones really allowed to use it at this point anyway)

There's a lot of different things that can be nerfed though, like removing the galoshes slip, removing the inability to clean it off of tiles, etc. Holy fuck I even forgot one of the features it has.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
Saegrimr
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Saegrimr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:07 am #43085

The distance-slipping thing needs to stay, at the very least, even if it were visible its not like people dont constantly get mad at the janitor with his very visible wet floor signs and visible wet floors. I still think the invisibility is the one key factor lube has over just making a spray bottle with water.

Maybe if theres a way to increase the stun timer by 1 per tile slipped over? So tiny lube corners aren't a big deal but if you go sailing down a hallway then you might be out for a while.
I have no idea how feasible that is code-wise.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.

User avatar
Bluespace
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:04 pm
Location: UK
Byond Username: Bluespace

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Bluespace » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:10 am #43086

Has lube ever really been a problem?
Nerfing it would just produce clown tears, I don't think it's a big deal.
I play Boris Pepper.
Image

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby paprika » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:14 am #43088

Bluespace wrote:Has lube ever really been a problem?
Nerfing it would just produce clown tears, I don't think it's a big deal.

Don't clowns get banned for using this as non-antag, last time i used it as clown i was literally gifted it by one admin who spawned it for me while another admin yelled at me for using it. I think the admins need a better policy on non-antag lubing to help us shape the retooling of lube.

If it's only an antag tool, IE virology bad virus symptoms or polytrinic acid and using them otherwise is terrible for a non-antag, then we can tool it to keep it powerful and competitive. If it's meant to be a joke, a funny clown thing, then it should be nerfed to fuck and back because it's literally only funny for the clown/mime using it.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
Saegrimr
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Saegrimr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:19 am #43090

Yeah pretty much whenever the "HEY THIS SHITASS IS LUBING" alarm goes off, and its not a clown/clown lubing literally fucking everything ever, someone ends up PMing them about it. Or I replace the spray bottle contents with blood and await very confused looks. (if I could find a way to make it spray gibs, I would.)
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.

User avatar
Scones
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am
Location: cooler than thou
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Scones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:27 am #43092

paprika wrote:it's literally only funny for the clown/mime using it.

This.

While I respect slippery death traps as an antag thing, in my personal experience, 9/10 space lube hellholes are created by a disgruntled chemist or a clown/mime equipped by the aforementioned chemist.

So we have three factors: Incredibly easy to make, undetectable, tied for longest stun in the game. One or more of these needs to be changed seeing as the ease of availability means it is used in the vast majority of cases as an implement of griefing. You have not known annoyance until you find out that the clown has graced every inch of the escape shuttle with lube by virtue of having a 200-unit spray bottle.

On a somewhat related note, do Magboots with the traction pulse system activated ignore slips? I can understand why they wouldn't for gameplay purposes, but from my understanding of how they work (Clumsily activated magnets?), I'd like to think that magnetizing yourself to the floor with each step down would somehow negate any sort of slippery stuff.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby paprika » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:28 am #43093

Only in ss13 can we have a forum thread about space lube though, holy crap.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

User avatar
Scones
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am
Location: cooler than thou
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Scones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:32 am #43094

paprika wrote:Only in ss13 can we have a forum thread about space lube though, holy crap.


I've sort of given up trying to explain the inner machinations of this game to my friends.

"No, you see, it slips TOO well! People need to change it."
"Wait, wait, back up. You're telling me the balance issue of the week is that the fucking space-KY is too good at making a near-frictionless surface?"
"Yeah."
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha

Incomptinence
 
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 am
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Incomptinence » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:36 am #43096

Being obviously visible would be nice. Radium creates immense green floorslicks but does next to nothing once there, lube is invisible. All shine all the time I say.

Jacough
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:24 pm
Byond Username: Jacough

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Jacough » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:03 am #43113

MisterPerson wrote:Lube should either be invisible or better at slipping, not both. Thank you for making this thread.


It's already stupidly good at slipping though and as was mentioned, it's stupidly easy to mass produce. 30 water + 30 silicon + 30 oxygen will get you 100 units in a large beaker (not sure the exact amount it gives you since it gives you a bit of extra and I haven't tried it in a bluespace beaker. 120 maybe?).

It'd be nice to have some kind of visual indicator in case some shit bag chemist decides it'd be a funny prank to give the clown space lube grenades.
Image

PostThis post was deleted by MrStonedOne on Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:46 pm.
Reason: Requested

Jacough
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:24 pm
Byond Username: Jacough

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Jacough » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:28 am #43124

Violaceus wrote:Speaking of space lube, it should have other, legitimate uses than just slipping people.

Like mech construction.
Like machine construction.
Like ERP...


The wiki does say it's for maintenance of highly complex industrial equipment. Maybe make it so that mechs need it for periodic maintenance or they start locking up (i.e. getting frozen in place for several seconds or slowing down)
Image

User avatar
Saegrimr
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Saegrimr » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:37 am #43127

Jacough wrote:The wiki does say it's for maintenance of highly complex industrial equipment. Maybe make it so that mechs need it for periodic maintenance or they start locking up (i.e. getting frozen in place for several seconds or slowing down)


Rather than add something that makes mechs even worse to use, just have lubed up mechs move faster for a period of time and consume less energy while moving.
Seriously though, finding a use for things doesn't have to mean they HAVE to be used, just WANT to be used.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.

dezzmont
 
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:07 pm
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby dezzmont » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:57 am #43131

The inability to clean it off is kind of a shitty mechanic because it means the knowledge the lube is there means nothing.

The main problem as has been pointed out is that the chemist is a amazingly powerful role. I remember that we once were talking about making him less able to spam power chemicals by tying him more into supply and mining and putting griefy chemicals and powerful medicines behind plasma and botany but that never happened because 'fun.'

User avatar
Scones
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am
Location: cooler than thou
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Scones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:01 pm #43133

dezzmont wrote:The main problem as has been pointed out is that the chemist is a amazingly powerful role. I remember that we once were talking about making him less able to spam power chemicals by tying him more into supply and mining and putting griefy chemicals and powerful medicines behind plasma and botany but that never happened because 'fun.'


Horrifyingly powerful is a more accurate description. I think that polytricnic and space lube should both be gated, as the lack of control over production of said substances opens many a door for the griefer with the orange band on his labcoat.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha

Incomptinence
 
Joined: Fri May 02, 2014 3:01 am
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Incomptinence » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:05 pm #43134

My main problem with the chemist isn't power per se it is the "anything you can do I can do better" aspect.

Engineer? Any wall you can break I can break faster~ (rwall deconstruction should probably be made a little faster)
Service department? I can make piles of meat better than you~

dezzmont
 
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:07 pm
Byond Username: Dezzmont

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby dezzmont » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:32 pm #43143

Incomptinence wrote:My main problem with the chemist isn't power per se it is the "anything you can do I can do better" aspect.

Engineer? Any wall you can break I can break faster~ (rwall deconstruction should probably be made a little faster)
Service department? I can make piles of meat better than you~

The concept of science producing mega items in limited quantities isn't a problem. It creates a unique departmental role for science, who already have "collaboration to produce powerful effects with other departments" as their primary MO.

Medics start out with plentiful moderately powerful medicine, first aid kits have limited weak medicine, and the chemist must create strong medicine in limited amounts. It is up to him if he should share it or not but that is the same for any department.

The problem is almost none of the chemist's production is limited by other departments like it was coded to be. Botanists and mining hardly plays into what he does. And the mechanics of chemistry allow him to print buckets and buckets of stuff.

The funny thing is stuff like space lube, chloral hydrate, and polytrinic acid wouldn't really need a nerf if it was gated behind dangerous chemicals the chemist didn't have infinite access to. If he needed to bum plasma or glycerol from somewhere else it would allow these chemicals to be horrifying because they depend on departmental collaboration and naturally involve the efforts of multiple people. This encourages interaction which is always nice but also has the side benefit of causing others to get a warning that something may be up. If the QM is smart he would make sure to verify requests for potentially dangerous materials with the heads, especially in large quantities. This would encourage the chemist to slowly siphon out a personal stash of plasma and glycerol if he aimed to misbehave, forces him to ration supplies heavily and decide what powerful chemicals he needs, and create a nice tell mechanic that mimics how real world pharmacists get caught when people start to inevitably wonder what all that plasma is being used for.

This will never ever happen however because chemist players play chemist to produce these powerful chemicals non-stop and would be very vocal in displeasure despite how bad the one tile work room mechanic, where someone can create powerful end game effects without moving from a single tile or leaving a highly secure area, is for the game.

User avatar
fleure
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:50 pm
Byond Username: Fleure

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby fleure » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:17 pm #43164

dezzmont wrote:This will never ever happen however because chemist players play chemist to produce these powerful chemicals non-stop and would be very vocal in displeasure despite how bad the one tile work room mechanic, where someone can create powerful end game effects without moving from a single tile or leaving a highly secure area, is for the game.


Who cares? Let's balance the game based on reason than who can whine the loudest. Players who whine don't make the game bad, bad game design does.
Ex-/tg/station maintainer for being a lazy shit.

User avatar
youngbuckliontiger
 
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:56 am

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby youngbuckliontiger » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:39 pm #43168

Make space lube require silver or something to make it harder to make. A visual indicator for space lube would be nice too.
Player name: Rob Ust
Lets have fun in SS13!
I don't play anymore though.

QuartzCrystal
 
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:21 pm
Byond Username: QuartzCrystal

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby QuartzCrystal » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:54 pm #43170

Don't change anything about space lube, but make anything containing ammonia nullify it (ammonia, diethylamine, space cleaner, weed killer).

This way janitor actually gains a rare actually useful task and it doesn't just limit the the usefulness to them but allows people to raid botany for weed killer if space lube is a real problem.


Space lube has always been super powerful, but that's the point. Instead of nerfing it just make a way to counter it (right now there is no counter). It's not like this would be super unbalanced either, as when there's space lube people usually yell it over the radio and then people will actively avoid the space lubed area of the station.

User avatar
bandit
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:35 pm
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby bandit » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:57 pm #43172

Cecily wrote:I think this issue is only highlighted by an earlier round: A chemist filled the entire Security hallway with Space Lube, and unknowing Security officers walked into the invisible death-slide into a waiting bottle of poly-acid held by a particularly bloodthirsty man in a chicken suit, who is going to remain unnamed. There was no way for us to tell that the lube was there - Calls on the radio were nonviable simply because we died in the three clicks after the instant we slipped. It is not only polytricnic acid's power that was the issue here, but the fact that it's use was enabled by the silent, slippery killer.


No. Antags who go to this level of cooperation deserve to be rewarded. This falls into the same category as disposal traps into space/glass/the singlo to me.

(Polyacid probably needs to be slightly less powerful, but that is a separate issue.)
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls

User avatar
Steelpoint
Github User
 
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:37 pm
Location: The Armoury
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Steelpoint » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:01 pm #43173

bandit wrote:No. Antags who go to this level of cooperation deserve to be rewarded. This falls into the same category as disposal traps into space/glass/the singlo to me.

(Polyacid probably needs to be slightly less powerful, but that is a separate issue.)


The issue is more to do with how powerful space lube is, how long it stuns you for, the fact its invisible and that its really easy to make. As noted, space lube has the single longest stun time of any item in the entire game, I would wager it may well easily exceed 30 seconds if not a minute.

Now you may argue that a disposal trap to the singlo/space is very similar to a space lube trap. I would argue that is false because firstly a disposal trap needs to be prebuilt in public areas for it to work, secondly it requires access to a very limited and hard to acquire item and thirdly the actual trap is a noticeable disposal entrance.

Yes, we should be encouraging creative antag actions, however actions that take so little effort to execute and are so deadly and impossible to avoid by even the most attentive of players really need to be rebalanced.
Image

Perakp
 
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:45 pm
Byond Username: Perakp

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Perakp » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:17 pm #43175

The counter to lube is the fact that it's invisible, you have to remember where you sprayed it to not get slipped yourself.

User avatar
MrStonedOne
Host
 
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 pm
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby MrStonedOne » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:19 pm #43176

Make pure spacelube invisible with a short stun, but make it stack with water. Meaning that you can mix it with water to get the current stun (or a slightly shorter one) at the cost of invisibility.

IE: Long stun. Invisibility. Choose one.

Giving people the choice should alleviate most issues with nerfing it.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder

MrStonedOne on Reddit(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord.

Jack7D1 wrote:After reviewing the history of our previous host(s) I conclude that MSO is our most favorable host to date. To remove him would be very unwise.
Jack7D1 wrote:I seem to be mistaken

User avatar
Scones
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:46 am
Location: cooler than thou
Byond Username: Scones

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Scones » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:21 pm #43177

bandit wrote:This falls into the same category as disposal traps into space/glass/the singlo to me.


I disagree.

I have a pretty healthy amount of respect for the creative Atmospheric Technician/Engineer who takes the time and planning to build an elaborate pipe ride into the afterlife without being detected. The difference, however, between this and a lube trap is that while pipes take a good amount of preparation and modification to work as intended, a lube trap is as simple as clicking on floor tiles, bottle in hand, and waiting to mince whoever happens to step on the unmarked tiles of doom.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha

Intigracy
Confined to the shed
 
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Intigracy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:21 pm #43195

     .
Last edited by Intigracy on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
paprika
Rarely plays
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:20 pm
Location: in down bad
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby paprika » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:42 pm #43207

So lube would basically just be a way to buff water tile stun in addition to the pure stuff getting nerfed? Mite be cool.

I think people are overhyping the power of invisible lube, in all my experience as a janitor people are extremely fucking stupid and fall on obviously wet tiles anyway.

Plus, walking doesn't affect lube, HOLY FUCK ANOTHER THING TO ADD TO THE LIST
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.

Raven776
 
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:51 pm
Byond Username: Raven776

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Raven776 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:00 pm #43247

I thought the visual indicator of space lube was watching the clown rocket into a wall?

User avatar
miggles
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 am
Byond Username: Miggles

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby miggles » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:06 am #43317

galoshes and noslips should be immune to lube
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts

dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.

Connor wrote:miggles is correct though

PostThis post was deleted by MrStonedOne on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57 pm.
Reason: removing a toxic derail of the thread

User avatar
Ergovisavi
 
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 pm
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Ergovisavi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:29 am #43335

Space lube has always been a terrible (if hilarious in certain contexts) mechanic, and I find it pretty funny that few people complained about it. Lube has always been overpowered. An invisible, incredibly long stun that can't be blocked by anything? It's just a bad game mechanic. Every nook ops round when I'm the CMO I just get a spraybottle of lube and am effectively immortal.

All it really needs is a graphical indication, though, and it'd be fine for the most part.

PostThis post was deleted by MrStonedOne on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57 pm.
Reason: removing a toxic derail of the thread

Lo6a4evskiy
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 pm
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Lo6a4evskiy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:14 am #43423

Ergovisavi wrote:Space lube has always been a terrible (if hilarious in certain contexts) mechanic, and I find it pretty funny that few people complained about it. Lube has always been overpowered. An invisible, incredibly long stun that can't be blocked by anything? It's just a bad game mechanic. Every nook ops round when I'm the CMO I just get a spraybottle of lube and am effectively immortal.

All it really needs is a graphical indication, though, and it'd be fine for the most part.

Lube can easily backfire though. It does require a certain set of skills to use effectively, as opposed to just annoying everybody, which is hilarious.

PostThis post was deleted by MrStonedOne on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57 pm.
Reason: removing a toxic derail of the thread

Somejerk
 
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:04 am
Byond Username: Somejerk

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Somejerk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:06 pm #43580

How would a visual reminder of Space Lube help when most of you don't even notice the wet signs?

User avatar
MMMiracles
 
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:27 am
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby MMMiracles » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:06 am #43605

because having a stun equivalent to a stunbaton that you can't see and is easily mass producible is silly.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.

User avatar
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
 
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:26 pm
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby MisterPerson » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:47 am #43612

Somejerk wrote:How would a visual reminder of Space Lube help when most of you don't even notice the wet signs?


It places the blame for dying squarely on the shoulders of the player instead of the game mechanics. It's a subtle but important difference. It removes the "that was bullshit" feeling.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter

Somejerk
 
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:04 am
Byond Username: Somejerk

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Somejerk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:53 am #43613

Then a better fix would be to reduce or eliminate the slip distance and have the stun time in line with water slipping. A visual representation fixes nothing because, like I said, most people don't even bother to walk when wet signs are up and then attempt to kill you because you're doing your job as a Janitor. And while it is easily mass producible it generally requires you to be a Chemist or a Scientist.

Really the lack of a visual representation should be an advantage considering it requires more than just some table/hand crafting finagling.

User avatar
Saegrimr
 
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:39 pm
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Saegrimr » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:54 am #43614

Somejerk wrote:Then a better fix would be to reduce or eliminate the slip distance

Just plain no.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.

Somejerk
 
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:04 am
Byond Username: Somejerk

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Somejerk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:01 am #43615

Saegrimr wrote:
Somejerk wrote:Then a better fix would be to reduce or eliminate the slip distance

Just plain no.


Is how I feel about space lube getting a visual. I don't even use the shit but the requirements for it to be made should put it a level above the usual stuff anyone can make on a whim. It's why IEDs are bad even compared to a 50/50 Potassium/Water Bomb but with a little thought and a fuel tank...

Water and banana peels don't slip you a few tiles ahead, why is space lube any different?

User avatar
Ergovisavi
 
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:03 pm
Byond Username: Ergovisavi

Re: Can we have a visual indicator for Space Lube'd floors?

Postby Ergovisavi » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:36 am #43624

The distance that space lube throws you is completely irrelevant, if it moved you zero tiles, it'd still be overpowered.

The reason that space lube is overpowered is because it puts all the action on the person using it. There's no counterplay. There is no possible way the player who slips on it could have known about its presence unless someone else was affected by it beforehand, and informed them. All action is directed by the player who performs the feat.

For an example of why this is stupid, if you played Bioshock 2's horrid multiplayer, you might remember stupid combo. Lighting Bolt + Elephant Gun. The lightning bolt immobilizes you, and is effectively impossible to miss with. The elephant gun is a one shot kill on a headshot. Zap, shoot, dead. There's almost nothing that the player affected can do about it, but at least in the example, given, it's theoretically possible 360 noscope someone before they can shoot you, even if the chance is incredibly slim. With space lube, even that can't possibly happen, once it happened, you already lost, effectively guaranteed.

How would a visual reminder of Space Lube help when most of you don't even notice the wet signs?


Most people don't. I sure as fuck do, and it's very important that the overlay exists. Even with the overlay, water slipping is overpowered in my opinion, and I continue to abuse it regularly.

PostThis post was deleted by MrStonedOne on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:57 pm.
Reason: removing a toxic derail of the thread

Next

Return to Coding Feedback

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]