My Greatest Chemistry Bamboozle

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

My Greatest Chemistry Bamboozle

Post by wesoda25 » #443811

Something I love the fuck out of is meme chem death/annoyance mixes.

I'm currently working on a quick blood loss mix.

Naturally, Heparin is a necessity. Not many people know, but not only is there a chemistry form of N2O (code as nitrous_oxide), but it causes blood loss and drowsiness.

So it would logically make sense to combine the two, right? Wrong.

For some odd reason, the two chems work incredibly poorly when combined. I did some testing, 5 units of Heparin result in the subject losing 80% of their blood level if left untreated (once you reach the 20% blood level you die). I didn't test it, but Nitrous is less effective and has a faster metab rate, meaning its only value is its drowsiness effect, along with stacked blood loss. So really the best raw blood loss mix would be heparin and nitrous in a 1:2 two ratio, possibly scaled so that theres less heparin meaning they die quicker from the nitrous.

And yet that 1:2 ratio is pure shit. 5 units of Heparin and 10 units of Nitrous result in only 50% blood level once completely metabolized. I did a little research in code, and don't understand as to why one of the chems would nerf the other.

I was told this was the best place to make this, because it confuses me and I'd legitimately like to understand as to why this happens.
[this space reserved]
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Re: My Greatest Chemistry Bamboozle

Post by somerandomguy » #443847

Heparin increases bleed_rate, while n2o just lowers blood_volume, might be relevant?
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #443849

Something about mixing the two seems to trigger liver toxin filtration for some reason, i am trying to find out why
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #443851

Thus began his dark descent.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #443961

XDTM wrote:Something about mixing the two seems to trigger liver toxin filtration for some reason, i am trying to find out why
good luck
[this space reserved]
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #445604

ask reed, I bet he knows
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Swindly
Byond Username: Swindly

Post by Swindly » #445759

When I first added the blood loss for nitrous oxide, 5 units of heparin were sufficient to kill someone. Since then, the liver was added which causes toxins to be removed very quickly once there are 3 units left in the body. When you inject 5 units of heparin now, the volume will hit 3 and get removed by the liver far too quickly to kill someone even with another blood loss agent. The lethal dose for heparin alone now just under 8 units. However, even with enough bleeding to bring the blood level to 20%, the mob will die from combined brute and oxygen damage before actually bleeding to death (usually between 20% and 35% blood volume). If you want to really need the cause of death to be blood loss (i.e. you want the mob to die immediately upon defibrillation), you will need to find a way to heal the victim. If you are fine with the victim dying with more than 20% blood, you can achieve this by mixing 7.5 units of heparin with 7.5 units of nitrous oxide, which should leave the victim at around 25% blood.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #445773

Swindly wrote:When I first added the blood loss for nitrous oxide, 5 units of heparin were sufficient to kill someone. Since then, the liver was added which causes toxins to be removed very quickly once there are 3 units left in the body. When you inject 5 units of heparin now, the volume will hit 3 and get removed by the liver far too quickly to kill someone even with another blood loss agent. The lethal dose for heparin alone now just under 8 units. However, even with enough bleeding to bring the blood level to 20%, the mob will die from combined brute and oxygen damage before actually bleeding to death (usually between 20% and 35% blood volume). If you want to really need the cause of death to be blood loss (i.e. you want the mob to die immediately upon defibrillation), you will need to find a way to heal the victim. If you are fine with the victim dying with more than 20% blood, you can achieve this by mixing 7.5 units of heparin with 7.5 units of nitrous oxide, which should leave the victim at around 25% blood.
I tested this like a week ago 5 units of heparin kill.
[this space reserved]