Standard borg zipties

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Re: Standard borg zipties

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #455953

Bottom post of the previous page:

Aside from the buckle-tossing trick (which I think is exploity), standard borgs don't even have a way to stun on their own to cuff, even with hacking.
Malkraz
Byond Username: Malkraz

Post by Malkraz » #455958

Only Peacekeeper is "meant to stop harm" (in the most direct sense), hence the name "peace keeper" and not "engineering".
Regardless of what they're "meant" to do, there's always going to be a disconnect between "this is what you're supposed to do" and "this is what players do" with any given tool. It has to be taken into consideration how players are going to use the tools provided to them, and as has already been stated in the thread this tool easily leads to shitty secborg-lite gameplay. Honestly why is standard even an option?
wesoda24: malkrax you're a loser because your forum signature is people talking about you
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #455993

oranges wrote:When you say things like you know what borgs are supposed to do, but only started playing in 2017, it makes me feel sad.

Borgs are not meant to stop harm, they just happen to be obligated to do so under their laws.
Borgs have always had that aspect of their laws, it wasnt magically added sometime before that person started playing.

If borgs arent designed to stop harm why the fuck is there an inaction clause in the first place? If it is a relic from the pre HG days when borgs were actually a threat that isnt applicable anymore why has the clause stuck around?
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #455996

oranges wrote:Borgs are not meant to stop harm, they just happen to be obligated to do so under their laws.
So you're saying they are meant to stop harm?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #456007

no they're not meant to, they're obligated to do so.

For Rp reasons, it doesn't mean they have to actually be good at it mechanically, which is what I said, but for the benefit of slow people I'm happy to repeat myself.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #456008

Cyborgs stopping harm is a side effect of their Nanotrasen approved Lawset, but that is not their primary function.

You could argue that the only Cyborg who is intended to prevent harm is the Security Borg, and the Peacekeeper Borg to an extent, allthough the Peacekeeper seems built more to encourage harmony and cooperations amongst the crew than actually stopping harm.

Every other borg has a primary function that has nothing to do with preventing harm.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #456018

Steelpoint wrote:Cyborgs stopping harm is a side effect of their Nanotrasen approved Lawset, but that is not their primary function.
Why do you think we need the silicon policy and all the unwritten rules? Because the lawset was purposefully flawed to allow Asimov to write stories. Primary function is not a factor within the lawset.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #456019

Which is why I always find it amusing we use the Asimov three laws when the laws were intentionally designed to be flawed. You'd think we'd be better off writing a unique lawset, but we've been through that song and dance a hundred times.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #456020

Universal lawset will always be problematic. If you really don't want borgs to prevent muh harm, and to follow their function, it has to be unique for each type.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #456039

Dr_bee wrote:
oranges wrote:When you say things like you know what borgs are supposed to do, but only started playing in 2017, it makes me feel sad.

Borgs are not meant to stop harm, they just happen to be obligated to do so under their laws.
Borgs have always had that aspect of their laws, it wasnt magically added sometime before that person started playing.

If borgs arent designed to stop harm why the fuck is there an inaction clause in the first place? If it is a relic from the pre HG days when borgs were actually a threat that isnt applicable anymore why has the clause stuck around?
I hate to break it to you but asimov didn't write his laws to be optimal and he DEFINITELY didn't write them for space station 13
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #456082

Standard Borg is meant to be the Jack of all trades, it has zip ties as a hold over from secborg (like its removed stun baton). Standard has plenty of functions that make it usable and there's no real reason to remove it outside of ided

Outside of tatoring the cuffs don't see much use and if you get zip cuffed by Borgs because you stood there and ignored the loud sound that lays and the large red text or because you got stunned by someone else and the Borg cuffed you while you got stunned it sounds like you just need to get good
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #456084

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Aside from the buckle-tossing trick (which I think is exploity), standard borgs don't even have a way to stun on their own to cuff, even with hacking.
what are flashes
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456087

somerandomguy wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Aside from the buckle-tossing trick (which I think is exploity), standard borgs don't even have a way to stun on their own to cuff, even with hacking.
what are flashes
Don't forget Service Borgs are literally infinite stun murder-borgs. I abused their stun so much that I got a note for it.

>Spray-cans can stun.
>Service Borgs get a spray can
>They can spray flammable liquids onto people so they catch on fire along with the stun.
>Spray Cans are quite flammable.
>Literally Plasma Fire/Any sort of fire method like an electric grille + Spray can and you have a murder-borg.

Or you can just feed someone a shitload of alcohol whilst your stunning them. They're quite literally an underused sec borg alternative. I don't know why I'm mentioning this though because I hate sec-borgs and this will probably get them nerfed.

You can just use a mask to negate this though. Whilst sunglasses to negate there flash.
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #456088

Any Borg that can get the flash stun has other methods of locking you down anyway or can flat valid you, so the cuffs aren't really the underlying problem.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456108

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Any Borg that can get the flash stun has other methods of locking you down anyway or can flat valid you, so the cuffs aren't really the underlying problem.
This is true, any borg has a sort of unconventional way of stunning that goes along with their flash. Not all of them are decent though.

If there was any change that came from this argument. I hope it'd be giving peacekeeper borgs can make an infinite amount of fake handcuffs via battery power for an interesting mechanical change. The ones that take 1 second for you to break out of, so anytime your persecutor stops dragging you. Either via a door or something like that. You can instantly break out of them. Yet, you can't break out of them whilst moving.
► Show Spoiler
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #456120

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Any Borg that can get the flash stun has other methods of locking you down anyway or can flat valid you, so the cuffs aren't really the underlying problem.
This is true, any borg has a sort of unconventional way of stunning that goes along with their flash. Not all of them are decent though.

If there was any change that came from this argument. I hope it'd be giving peacekeeper borgs can make an infinite amount of fake handcuffs via battery power for an interesting mechanical change. The ones that take 1 second for you to break out of, so anytime your persecutor stops dragging you. Either via a door or something like that. You can instantly break out of them. Yet, you can't break out of them whilst moving.
Trick handcuffs
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #456130

It's not even about other stuns, Borgs have plenty of ways to subdue you without a cuff module. You can strip someone and bolt them in a fire closet in a few uses of flash.

Not even the easiest method of nonlethal effective round removal, or the most absolute one. Cuffs or not, any Borg can get valids with enoigh prep or clever thinking, no amount of module removals is likely to change that.

The issue is players, not code, as always. If a Borg isn't following laws to valid you, it's up to you to report it.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456137

Yakumo_Chen wrote:It's not even about other stuns, Borgs have plenty of ways to subdue you without a cuff module. You can strip someone and bolt them in a fire closet in a few uses of flash.

Not even the easiest method of nonlethal effective round removal, or the most absolute one. Cuffs or not, any Borg can get valids with enoigh prep or clever thinking, no amount of module removals is likely to change that.

The issue is players, not code, as always. If a Borg isn't following laws to valid you, it's up to you to report it.
Exactly. As I learned during a previous cult round.

>Engineering Borg: Who needs cuffs lmao
>Opens a can of n20
>Get literally KO'd for the rest of the round.

I expected the N20 to at least kill my of o2 loss. But that never happened. I guess what I'm trying to say is, zipties are a pretty lame thing to argue about removing. No matter what you do, you'd pretty much have to remove borgs in general if you want to stop any sort of borgs being able to restrain people.

That could be anything from a quick engineering borg building an electric grille with a couple clicks of a button. Or a Service borg making infinite amounts of the Neurotoxin Bartender drink and feeding it to people.
► Show Spoiler
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #456169

Just because its possible for a borg to be a fag without ties doesn’t mean that zipties don’t promote shit behaviour. An assistant can bomb the hotline, but they don’t start with a maxcap.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456173

confused rock wrote:Just because its possible for a borg to be a fag without ties doesn’t mean that zipties don’t promote shit behaviour. An assistant can bomb the hotline, but they don’t start with a maxcap.
..Should I tell him? Or...
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #456176

How often do you actually see a Borg go standard just for ties though, outside of Malf?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #456181

Yakumo_Chen wrote:How often do you actually see a Borg go standard just for ties though, outside of Malf?
I know I'm commenting alot here but

>Going standard ever for ties.

Brutal honesty kicking in, I just play standard because of the chance that I'll get emagged and I get to esword people. The cuffs can suck ass, I rarely ever use them. Or get a need to.

Usually, when I'm not emagged, I just walk around and EPI pen people in critical condition and just react to situations? There's not much to do other than roaming around. Can barely mine.

The most valid hunting borg players I've seen are mainly janitor borgs surprisingly. They flash you and take you all the way to sec on Asimov, even if you complain and law two them to stop doing this.

My static is not very well liked in the borg community.
► Show Spoiler
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #458967

Shadowflame909 wrote:The most valid hunting borg players I've seen are mainly janitor borgs surprisingly. They flash you and take you all the way to sec on Asimov, even if you complain and law two them to stop doing this.
Ahelp this if it happens to you, or if you see it happen. I'm quick to say: stop nerfing silicons, start banning shitty silicon players, but admins can't administrate things they don't know are happening.
--Crocodillo

Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #458968

WarbossLincoln wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:The most valid hunting borg players I've seen are mainly janitor borgs surprisingly. They flash you and take you all the way to sec on Asimov, even if you complain and law two them to stop doing this.
Ahelp this if it happens to you, or if you see it happen. I'm quick to say: stop nerfing silicons, start banning shitty silicon players, but admins can't administrate things they don't know are happening.
If you law two to be released, don't have another order saying to arrest you, and there's not some "in the middle of harm" going on you should be released.

But if you don't ahelp it, I'm not going to know. If you let me know then I'll gladly act on it.