Chef CQC combat is beyond broken and needs fixing

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Trickster
Byond Username: AkaTrickster

Chef CQC combat is beyond broken and needs fixing

Post by Trickster » #455307

I can understand that having a cheesy movie reference in the game is for the better flavourwise, but as a chef antag it gives you so much power in what you can do unarmed, when you have access to cleavers and other very robust weapons as well. If you do want to keep the reference, or change it for something else that is more role-appropiate, replacing it for a cutting-edge buff to melee weapons or something of the like would be far more enjoyable.

Or, in my humble opinion, remove it entirely. It is quite bad.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Re: Chef CQC combat is beyond broken and needs fixing

Post by Anuv » #455311

Agreed give them carp
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #455314

Trickster wrote:I can understand that having a cheesy movie reference in the game is for the better flavourwise, but as a chef antag it gives you so much power in what you can do unarmed, when you have access to cleavers and other very robust weapons as well. If you do want to keep the reference, or change it for something else that is more role-appropiate, replacing it for a cutting-edge buff to melee weapons or something of the like would be far more enjoyable.

Or, in my humble opinion, remove it entirely. It is quite bad.
I don't agree but I don't disagree. I feel like it needs to be restricted entirely to the kitchen as in... No theatre, No Bar backroom. No bar, not even botany. Just literally if you get tided in the kitchen. You can beat the crap out of your tiders.

I may just be unrobust but, even with CQC. When I accidentally brutally beat up a tider whilst trying to knock him out with cqc. 5 more tiders came in, deconstructed my tables and started spearing me and trying to space me. It wasn't even REVS!

It was bagil though.
► Show Spoiler
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #455317

I don't like this idea and I never did like it. A chef shouldn't get a traitor item in just one location, it doesn't even make sense.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #455333

if you don't want CQC'd, don't siege the kitchen
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #455338

Shadowflame909 wrote:It was bagil though.
Understandable
BeeSting12 wrote:I don't like this idea and I never did like it. A chef shouldn't get a traitor item in just one location, it doesn't even make sense.
Do you play chef often, Beesting? I’m not asking this question in a malicious way, but just to understand where you’re coming from.

If you do, then I’m sure you’d agree that being a good chef is difficult. Most of the time you have to do the botanist’s job as well, which depending on the station can have you running back and forth like a madman trying to produce special dishes in a timely manner. And all while doing this, some exceptional individual decides “im hungrey” and climbs into your kitchen to harass you and eat your ingredients/steal your tools. If you pull out your knife/cleaver, you’re liable to getting disarmed and killed by the intruder because escalation (indeed, this happened a few times before I discovered CQC)

Having an unarmed option lets you play chef without worrying about the tiders, whether they be assistants or otherwise.
Last edited by Farquaar on Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #455342

A single foam name deletes the whole kitchen on any map (even better if the PR gets merged that restricts CQC to just the kitchen). Even if you'e no antag, an IED lance, taser and so on will take chefs down easily.
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #455375

Denton wrote:A single foam name deletes the whole kitchen
what
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #455579

I would assume he means a chem hellfoam grenade
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #455580

An acid smoke would be more effective for destroying all the equipment, but that's off-topic

I thought it *was* restricted to the kitchen?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #455582

Anonmare wrote:An acid smoke would be more effective for destroying all the equipment, but that's off-topic

It can be used in the bar and bar backroom. On botany as well on some maps.

So usually as a bartender, you'll see a griefer chef cqcing your customers and the clown for no reason. Also if they're a traitor. You're going to be the first person who gets thrown in the gibber and there's nothing you can really do about it. If they aggro grip you before you realize they're doing it.
► Show Spoiler
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #455592

It's fine.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Floiven
Byond Username: Brak7000

Post by Floiven » #455599

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Anonmare wrote:An acid smoke would be more effective for destroying all the equipment, but that's off-topic

So usually as a bartender, you'll see a griefer chef cqcing your customers and the clown for no reason. Also if they're a traitor. You're going to be the first person who gets thrown in the gibber and there's nothing you can really do about it. If they aggro grip you before you realize they're doing it.
Beanbag rounds, apply directly to the forehead
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #455607

Floiven wrote:
Shadowflame909 wrote:

Beanbag rounds, apply directly to the forehead
THE CHEF HAS GIBBED ALL MY CUSTOMERS THEY'VE ALL BEEN KO'D AND ARE NOW DEAD HOLY SHIT WHAT THE FUCK IS A LAME PEA SHOOTER GONNA DO THEY'RE GONE.
► Show Spoiler
Denton

Post by Denton » #455650

Let's all hope the PR that restricts Chef CQC to just the kitchen gets merged
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #455652

Let's hope not.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #455661

Farquaar wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:I don't like this idea and I never did like it. A chef shouldn't get a traitor item in just one location, it doesn't even make sense.
Do you play chef often, Beesting? I’m not asking this question in a malicious way, but just to understand where you’re coming from.

If you do, then I’m sure you’d agree that being a good chef is difficult. Most of the time you have to do the botanist’s job as well, which depending on the station can have you running back and forth like a madman trying to produce special dishes in a timely manner. And all while doing this, some exceptional individual decides “im hungrey” and climbs into your kitchen to harass you and eat your ingredients/steal your tools. If you pull out your knife/cleaver, you’re liable to getting disarmed and killed by the intruder because escalation (indeed, this happened a few times before I discovered CQC)

Having an unarmed option lets you play chef without worrying about the tiders, whether they be assistants or otherwise.
No, I don't play chef, but I have done it a few times. You can use the shutters to smash tiders, there are knives to kill them with, and that's just what's in your kitchen. You can still call security. If you need CQC to defend your kitchen then git gud lmao. This wasn't even added to help chefs, it was meant to be a funny meme. There's no reasoning in the original PR or conversation on actual balance implications.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #455666

BeeSting12 wrote:If you need CQC to defend your kitchen then git gud lmao.
See, I'd rather put shittlers to sleep and throw them in disposals, instead cut up with a knife.
Zarniwoop
Byond Username: Dagum

Post by Zarniwoop » #455669

That's goofcode for ya. Stop merging his garbage. Pretty sure the only reason chef cqc was even kept is because he PR'd an even worse idea - chaplain monk cqc - alongside it, making chef cqc look tame in comparison.
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #455670

Zarniwoop wrote:That's goofcode for ya. Stop merging his garbage.
It was Naksu who made it get your facts right instead of immediately jumping to blame goofball for everything you hate. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/35417
Lumbermancer wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:If you need CQC to defend your kitchen then git gud lmao.
See, I'd rather put shittlers to sleep and throw them in disposals, instead cut up with a knife.
Window crush as they jump on the table. Aggressive grab. Drag and drop to disposals. It's not hard and using CQC is just easy mode for that.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop » #455671

BeeSting12 wrote:
It was Naksu who made it get your facts right instead of immediately jumping to blame goofball for everything you hate. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/35417
Goofcode is just a euphemism for shit code, relax, you spaz.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #455672

I couldn't window crush, I was in the cold room.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #455676

I agree that playing chef for the CQC is bad but if it gets nerfed even less people will play it if any..
Chef has literally 0 powergame, sure he has a sharp knife but that means nothing with stunbased combat.
You are just an assistant with access to the kitchen backroom and the duty to feed the crew/make special orders.
If the bartender gets a shotgun why can’t the chef have a melee range two click stun, assuming the target is NOT moving.
If you remove chef’s non lethal control it will just lead to more pointless cleavering, and thus escalation and or pointless bans.
Main reason shitters that grief play chef and use the cqc for it is because the role ends up as one of the last taken.
You wouldn’t even pick it for a better pay than assistant, as they make the same...
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #455677

Zarniwoop wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
>his garbage
>just a euphemism

:roll:
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #455679

LMAO
Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop » #455682

BeeSting12 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
>his garbage
>just a euphemism

His/her, whatever I don't care what gender Naksu is. What is this, the PC police? The monk cqc that was merged at the same time and was such crap that it made chefs cqc look acceptable, however, was coded by goof. So two utter trash cqc PRs merged at the same time, one by goof, one probably by one of his many alt accounts.
Last edited by Zarniwoop on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #455683

A couple thoughts:

Bar Backroom should be removed, that's unnecessary. Bar is probably fine because fights often happen there. The Bar is a shared space by the chef and bartender. Bartender has a shotgun, chef has CQC, they can defend it together.
Theater can probably go too even though on Meta the chef goes through the theater to leave the kitchen.

Quite a lot of this thread can be summed up as "ahelp this shit when you see it". There's a ton of shitty behavior and rule breaking that goes unopposed on /tg/, esp bagil, because no one reports it. If you're the bartender and you see the chef griefing and robusting every single customer you get ahelp it. If admins decide not to intervene, handle it IC. Tell Sec what's going on, if sec doesn't show up in a timely fashion go get some buckshot and toss his body in his own gibber.

Similarly if you beat up a tider who jumped the table into the kitchen and 5 assistants tear the kitchen down and kill you with spears, ahelp it. The line between IC conflict of getting into a fistfight with a table jumper and getting gibbed by 5 griefers isn't very fine.
--Crocodillo

Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop » #455686

Agreed, cook should just ahelp it if they can't handle the kitchen tide. Remove their traitor item and handle it normally.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #455687

WarbossLincoln wrote:toss his body in his own gibber.
This server would be a way better place if permanent removal from the round wasnt the first thing people escalate to.
How about you kill them and leave them to be cloned by someone else, if they do continue to harrass you afterwards then ahelp.
Non antags should never be allowed to permanently take someone out, unless its an obvious ling or something.

But hey thats just my opinion and lately I only play on Terry so Basilmens will probably disagree.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #455691

It escalates to murder because they're bored and have little else to do.
WarbossLincoln
Byond Username: WarbossLincoln

Post by WarbossLincoln » #455695

Daxxed wrote:
WarbossLincoln wrote:toss his body in his own gibber.
This server would be a way better place if permanent removal from the round wasnt the first thing people escalate to.
How about you kill them and leave them to be cloned by someone else, if they do continue to harrass you afterwards then ahelp.
Non antags should never be allowed to permanently take someone out, unless its an obvious ling or something.

But hey thats just my opinion and lately I only play on Terry so Basilmens will probably disagree.
Uh, in my example it's not the first thing I suggested doing.

>chef attacks everyone in sight and doesn't get robusted
>no OOC action deemed necessary
>Call security, security doesn't respond
>chef is still robusting random people 4NR
>take him out

>guy jumps kitchen table
>chef beats him up
>4-5 greyshits decide to murder him cause lol escalation
>gib them if you manage to survive somehow

Edit: accidental double post
Zarniwoop wrote:Agreed, cook should just ahelp it if they can't handle the kitchen tide. Remove their traitor item and handle it normally.
I would be cool with limiting it to kitchen and cold room only. The chef gets fucked with more than botany when they shit up the station with cancer plants.
--Crocodillo

BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #455697

Daxxed wrote: Non antags should never be allowed to permanently take someone out, unless its an obvious ling or something.
only siths deal in absolutes
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
Denton

Post by Denton » #455699

Daxxed wrote:Non antags should never be allowed to permanently take someone out, unless its an obvious ling or something.
I generally agree with that, but every once in a while you run into ""people"" like Polina Kierstan when no admins are online.
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #455700

Zarniwoop wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
>his garbage
>just a euphemism

His/her, whatever I don't care what gender Naksu is. What is this, the PC police? The monk cqc that was merged at the same time and was such crap that it made chefs cqc look acceptable, however, was coded by goof. So two utter trash cqc PRs merged at the same time, one by goof, one probably by one of his many alt accounts.
The point is you assumed it was made by goof
>>>>>>>implying a maintainer is goof's alt
>>>>>>>on a service that bans for having alts
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Zarniwoop

Post by Zarniwoop » #455710

I didn't imply it, I declared it. You're probably an alt too if you're disagreeing with me.
BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #455723

Zarniwoop wrote:I didn't imply it, I declared it. You're probably an alt too if you're disagreeing with me.
are you trolling right now?
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:

hows my driving?
somerandomguy

Post by somerandomguy » #455733

BeeSting12 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I didn't imply it, I declared it. You're probably an alt too if you're disagreeing with me.
are you trolling right now?
crap I got baited so hard
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #455770

Zarniwoop wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:
BeeSting12 wrote:
>his garbage
>just a euphemism

i came into this thread in full agreeance that chefs being able to instantly KO anyone while unarmed if they're in the kitchen is overpowered garbage, but you're such an enormous fagtard that i hope it stays in just to spite you
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #455896

Zarniwoop wrote:That's goofcode for ya. Stop merging his garbage. Pretty sure the only reason chef cqc was even kept is because he PR'd an even worse idea - chaplain monk cqc - alongside it, making chef cqc look tame in comparison.
monk martial art is completely unrelated to cqc
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #455907

who am I?

I'm just the cook
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #455911

bman wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:That's goofcode for ya. Stop merging his garbage. Pretty sure the only reason chef cqc was even kept is because he PR'd an even worse idea - chaplain monk cqc - alongside it, making chef cqc look tame in comparison.
monk martial art is completely unrelated to cqc
It was also significantly more fun and significantly more broken. Nothing like training with your assistant disciples into become a shaolin monk who's spin kicks hit 5 times and even hit himself.
RogueSteampunker
Byond Username: RogueSteampunker

Post by RogueSteampunker » #455924

I mean, literary just make it effective in the bar and kitchen, and maybe botany if you're feeling frisky. It shouldn't be that big of a deal to effectively narrow down an ability like this to the areas it was intialy meant to help protect in the age of kor escalation.