The Captain's laser lockdown

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: The Captain's laser lockdown

Post by Ikarrus » #47770

Bottom post of the previous page:

Maybe not completely useless, but it can at least be made into something that's not a straight up upgrade to everything. Something like cutting it's cell size in half or so.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #47772

If I ever break it out as a captain it's because I'm going full out xeno hunting...

I mean literally going full out. I get some sec officer to be my jungle guide in this wonderful world of spacestation and recharge my guns for me in between carp/spider/xenomorph kills.
Feretal
Byond Username: Feretal

Post by Feretal » #47787

Uhhhh, I may be mistaken but if you just use the fire alarm you can disable the lockdown. Including the bolted doors.
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #48352

Saegrimr wrote:If the AI refuses to let you out if you directly order it to, that's probably breaking its laws and likely server rule 1. Thats like bolting the warden down for handing out eguns from the armory. Its YOUR gun, whether you want to ruin your perfectly good display case and dirty up your beautiful antique laser or not is a different matter entirely.

If you're busting it down and tell the AI you plan to laser some nerds of course its gonna keep you locked in, thats' just stupid of you for telling an asimov AI you intend to harm people.
If he's screaming over coms about how he's going to kill someone with it or I'm damn well convinced he's going to kill someone with it (I.E. I just observed him killing someone else) and I'm an Asimov silicon I kind of feel obligated to contain him until he removes his means of killing someone from his person (obviously meaning taking his weapons out of his bag) so I know for sure he is far less likely to kill someone.
/vg/station Head Admin
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #48775

tbh i think he should be allowed to just carry it around whenever he wants
its his gun, its a fancy gun, its a symbol of authority. he can wear it around his waist and point it at people he doesnt like.
just allow him to open the case with his ID whenever he wants. as the ultimate authority figure on the station, he should be free to carry around such a powerful weapon at all times.
this also makes stealing it harder than just "buy an emag and jump into the disposal chute before the AI sees you"
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #52197

miggles wrote:tbh i think he should be allowed to just carry it around whenever he wants
its his gun, its a fancy gun, its a symbol of authority. he can wear it around his waist and point it at people he doesnt like.
just allow him to open the case with his ID whenever he wants. as the ultimate authority figure on the station, he should be free to carry around such a powerful weapon at all times.
this also makes stealing it harder than just "buy an emag and jump into the disposal chute before the AI sees you"
Seconded. They're the Captain, they should be allowed to do whatever they want (with in reason of the server rules of course).
Even if it means the Captains a power hungry paranoid prick. People like that don't tend to last long and normally get mobbed anyway.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #52397

Should be reserved for red alert only, would encourage captains to use red alert more because it's criminally underused as it stands.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
miggles

Post by miggles » #52446

there really is no point to that though
its not significantly better than any other gun other than it recharges slowly
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #52511

It's significantly better than laser guns and energy guns when you need to laser things (blob, Aliens, wizard) because it has infinite ammo. I'm not sure how you can consider "it recharges" not a significant upgrade in any way, shape, or form.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #52539

Yeah agree on that is is amazing robust and infinite lasers is not a joke.

Still stuff like this even mildly keeping the captain away from his defining weapon seems super dumb.

AI core right next to captain's quarters lead to so many bullshit CAPTAIN WHY DO YOU WANT YOUR OWN GUN REASON PLEASE confrontations between the captain and the AI, what sicko wanted to preserve that?
Pybro
Byond Username: Pybro

Post by Pybro » #52588

It's his gun from space nam, hence why he keeps it locked up.

For maximum effect, whenever he has it in hand he should suffer from PTSD flashbacks (all the assistants turn into carp) and he and sec wear armor.
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Mikecari

Post by mikecari » #52600

Pybro wrote:It's his gun from space nam, hence why he keeps it locked up.

For maximum effect, whenever he has it in hand he should suffer from PTSD flashbacks (all the assistants turn into carp) and he and sec wear armor.
This, also have the captain scream out: "THEY'RE IN THE TREES!"
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #52604

Wait, can't he swipe his ID/multitool the display case to get it open...?
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #52606

For maximum effect, whenever he has it in hand he should suffer from PTSD flashbacks (all the assistants turn into carptaragens) and he and sec wear armor.
Taragens are the furfag race in baycode for those that don't know
mikecari
In Game PermaBanned

Post by mikecari » #52608

Cecily wrote:Wait, can't he swipe his ID/multitool the display case to get it open...?
Nope, that's only in Baystation. One of the few things they got right. We should just jack their code.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #52625

Cecily wrote:Wait, can't he swipe his ID/multitool the display case to get it open...?
This would make so much more sense.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

mikecari
In Game PermaBanned

Post by mikecari » #52684

Cipher3 wrote:
This would make so much more sense.
Too bad Pap hates that idea because "MUH POWERGAME".
It's not powergame if there's a fucking blob or legitimate threat on the station you mingecoder.
Wizardjenkins66
Byond Username: Wizardjenkins66

Post by Wizardjenkins66 » #52693

mikecari wrote:

This, also have the captain scream out: "THEY'RE IN THE TREES!"
This would make the cap's laser good, But also difficult to use. Objectively the best way to balance the gun.
Violaceus wrote: Mining smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to man- and lizard-kind. Katanas are thrice as sharp as eswords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything an esword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a durand mech with a simple vertical slash.
Ever wonder why Syndicate never bothered conquering Mining? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined miners and their katanas of destruction.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #52707

Great space nam, the space equivalent of the emu war, but with carps
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #52722

mikecari wrote: It's not powergame if there's a fucking blob or legitimate threat on the station you mingecoder.
Which is why red alert unlocking it is a good alternative.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #52726

The captain is the authoriser of executions. They should be toting lethal gear and they don't have a higher authority IC to answer to outside admin events.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #52740

They have an egun at roundstart though? and a chain of command for lashings?
miggles

Post by miggles » #52774

MisterPerson wrote:It's significantly better than laser guns and energy guns when you need to laser things (blob, Aliens, wizard) because it has infinite ammo. I'm not sure how you can consider "it recharges" not a significant upgrade in any way, shape, or form.
because it recharges slowly, does no extra damage, and has a standard capacity of 10 shots
a recharger will charge a normal gun faster than the cap's laser will recharge itself, so for blobs and aliens you can just keep recharging it.
every energy gun has infinite ammo, anyway. the only limiter is the station's power, and you're not going to drain all the power just by charging your gun.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #52784

Something that also I couldn't see mentioned:

If you're an Antag and have to steal the captains laser, doesn't this make and already difficult task EVEN harder? I mean seriously, if you manage to get into the captains room AND the captains not in there/nearby AND the AI hasn't seen you, you go break the case nosily then suddenly ALARM and you're locked and bolted into the room. Fuck that for a slice of fried gold...
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #52821

It's really easy to take precautions against that. Just emag the doors and they can't be bolted shut, or just bolt them open with the same tools you used to get in.
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #52847

or disposal yourself, or teleport out since 99% of the time you've snuck in via the teleporter room. Seriously, it was even more retardly easy without the lockdown notifying that shits getting stolen.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #52862

miggles wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:It's significantly better than laser guns and energy guns when you need to laser things (blob, Aliens, wizard) because it has infinite ammo. I'm not sure how you can consider "it recharges" not a significant upgrade in any way, shape, or form.
because it recharges slowly, does no extra damage, and has a standard capacity of 10 shots
a recharger will charge a normal gun faster than the cap's laser will recharge itself, so for blobs and aliens you can just keep recharging it.
every energy gun has infinite ammo, anyway. the only limiter is the station's power, and you're not going to drain all the power just by charging your gun.
To charge an egun you need:
a recharger you can't fit in your backpack
an APC (can't charge it in space!)
a wrench

To charge the captain's laser you need:
time

This makes the captain's laser extremely effective for killing xenomorphs. I know you're not robust like me miggles, but if you take the captain's laser into space with your jetpack, you can be the xenokiller captain the station deserves by using your infinite ammo laser to completely shit on the aliens and pull them out of maint/solars/wherever they're hiding and off of their weeds and just space the buggers. Yeah, for normal robusting, maybe a laser gun is better, but the captain's laser is unique, a steal objective, and undoubtedly robust. Metagaming aside, we should reserve it for when it's actually necessary and encourage captains to trigger red alert more. It does make sense for the captain to take it out whenever he wants, but for gameplay, it's shitty powergaming/metagaming without any real cause other than to fuck over traitors.