Teleporting Directly onto the AI

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Gouty
Byond Username: Gouty

Teleporting Directly onto the AI

Post by Gouty » #469759

Wraiths, abductors, wizards and ninjas (there may be more I've forgotten) can all teleport directly onto the AI with little to no warning and kill/card/ERP etc. the AI with no way to defend.

Is there anything that could stop this? Should anything be done to stop this?

I think the ideal solution isn't really policy but code (it was suggested that I post here though). Something to stop it from happening. Even if it just moved them to somewhere 2 tiles away this would at least give the turrets a chance. It could be explained in the fluff with a "bluespace disruption field" or "translocation inhibitor". I wouldn't even mind if it had drawbacks like using a shit load of power, or increasing the likelihood of translocation events coming to the core (as they always seem to do anyway) or drawing some of the weaker anomalies.
Vaina
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: Teleporting Directly onto the AI

Post by Vaina » #469760

RogueSteampunker wrote:There's plenty of things that "aren't fair" for the AI. Reinforced walls are jackshit against anyone coming by with thermite, cult and wizard practically get "one free AI kill" with wraith and shifting respectively. The whole point of the AI is the idea that it's vulnerable and easily dispatched unless someone wants to take the proper measures to protect it, a la moving the AI core when war ops hit. You can't honestly say that the midround antag who has a lot to lose by letting the AI live shouldn't be allowed the same graces just cause it doesn't immediately come into play at roundstart.
DrunkenMatey
Byond Username: DrunkenMatey

Post by DrunkenMatey » #469780

Sliding glass door with command access lock directly infront of ai. Might buy a few seconds to stop insta gib/card by some.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #469804

The AI square isnt on a dense turf, you can teleport into its own square so that wouldnt do anything
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #469813

Make it so you can't tp on tiles with an ai, they look like they should take up a whole tile (including floor to ceiling) anyway
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #469817

If there is a cult, wizard, etc, then have somebody move the AI to somewhere more populated
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TehSteveo
Byond Username: TehSteveo

Post by TehSteveo » #469835

Why is this policy discussion? Unless we're suggesting a rule for these antagonist to not teleport onto the AI, then this code feedback or ideas at best.

I'm moving this to coding feedback as everything discussed here is code related and not related to server rules or an editable config.
Last edited by TehSteveo on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Decision
Freedom
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #469838

somerandomguy wrote:Make it so you can't tp on tiles with an ai, they look like they should take up a whole tile (including floor to ceiling) anyway
make it so you can't tp onto a tile with a dense turf or a dense, anchored object/mob
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #469877

I still don’t understand why there’s never been an AOE, teleporter blocking device that people can build for places like the AI core the armory. Seems like something you’d want in a universe where teleportation is common.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #469892

DrunkenMatey wrote:Sliding glass door with command access lock directly infront of ai. Might buy a few seconds to stop insta gib/card by some.
This is the most sane solution. It won't stop the AI from getting killed but he can at least scream before it happens
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #469898

Luke Cox wrote:
DrunkenMatey wrote:Sliding glass door with command access lock directly infront of ai. Might buy a few seconds to stop insta gib/card by some.
This is the most sane solution. It won't stop the AI from getting killed but he can at least scream before it happens
see
Not-Dorsidarf wrote:The AI square isnt on a dense turf, you can teleport into its own square so that wouldnt do anything
You can stand on the same tile as AI, so when teleportation comes into play a glass door won't do much
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #469903

Turf density doesn't stop wizards anyway
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #469932

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Turf density doesn't stop wizards anyway
Foolish mortal! Nothing can impede the power of the great sage, Doink the Red-and-White!
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Post by Grazyn » #469956

Wraiths were designed specifically to kill the AI. The first thing you hear as the first wraith has always been "Go kill the AI" since the dawn of time.
Gouty

Post by Gouty » #469977

The majority of the time when an AI is killed/carded by someone teleporting there is no warning before hand, no way to anticipate, no way to counter, zero skill, timing or planning required and zero risk involved for the attacker. The AI can rarely even get a message off after the fact as it is so quick. If you are in a shell you aren't even going to hear them enter or notice if you are taking damage.
PKPenguin321 wrote:If there is a cult, wizard, etc, then have somebody move the AI to somewhere more populated
Yes, moving can be a worthwhile thing to do, but this only works if you aren't completely blindsided which is what happens most of the time. And it's not like moving isn't without massive drawbacks including being exposed while in transit, setup time, lack of power infrastructure, and actually having a borg or someone trustworthy to take you. Even once an AI is relocated it is still at risk of the antag finding you and doing the exact same thing, or others attacking without the defences that the core brings (especially in the case of cult where Spirit Realm can see and find everything).
Vaina wrote:
RogueSteampunker wrote:[...] Reinforced walls are jackshit against anyone coming by with thermite, [...]
At least if someone is breaking into your core from the outside you get an alarm, have time to call for help, put down shutters, use the foam dispensers, possibly identify who it is who is breaking in. You might even be able to see it coming from the actions of chemistry. There is a big difference between "easily dispatched" and completely helpless.
Davidchan
Byond Username: Davidchan

Post by Davidchan » #470012

Code a 3x3 bluespace field over the AI. Tie to beacon or make it a passive effect of the core. If anyone teleports or appears on any of the 9 squares they are shunted 3-9 tiles in a random direction as if they walked through the teleporter wearing a bag of holding. Stun em where applicable. Anyone who walks or passes normally through the barrier is completely unaffected.
Law 0: Secborg din do nuffin.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #470090

Even then on most maps the apc is very exposed (meta is the prime offender) and destroying it is trivial (emping doubly so) and is just as much of an AI kill
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #471761

Honestly just making the turf dense would cut out 50% of the bullshit. You can still TP in front of the AI and go for the APC but it gives them at least a chance at counterplay.
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #471765

There's already a way to set tiles as teleport proof I believe, so it's kinda a mapping issue
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #472120

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I still don’t understand why there’s never been an AOE, teleporter blocking device that people can build for places like the AI core the armory. Seems like something you’d want in a universe where teleportation is common.
For the most obnoxious of TPs we do though, it's called holy water!
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #473349

Well you can stop the ERP by ahelping it
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #473364

AIs are easly replaceable anyway (4 plasteel and >1 gold bar to make a posibrain) and nothing stops a borg to drag ai out when a wiz/cult/clock cult/ nuke ops /abductor is announced
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #473365

isn't losing part of the game though
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #473370

DemonFiren wrote:isn't losing part of the game though
yes but only when the other team is losing
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #474667

DemonFiren wrote:isn't losing part of the game though
Imagine an wizard appearing on top of the ai and clobbering it with his staff
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
Gouty

Post by Gouty » #476281

Just found out that if an AI is in their shell a blob can spawn right next to the AI core and instakill it.