New golems feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

New golems feedback

Post by Kryson » #470450

Hello,

As you may know five new golem types were recently added by the great Qustinnus. The three novel golem sprites were created by the great MrDoombringer.

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/41951

As the principal designer(idea guy) for these golems i wish to collect feedback in this thread regarding the balance of these golems and to explain some design decisions.

Bone

This golem requires cooperation from mining or the grinding of gold mobs thus obtaining the materials for its creation is non trivial, this allows us to make this golem one of the more powerful. The AoE slow was designed for the golem to reliably be able to catch up to humans, I'm not sure it does that currently, I'm considering increasing the slow slightly or increasing the duration by a couple of seconds.

The bone rattling ability should probably lower body temperature slightly previously suggested. This was my original intention but i told Floyd to make it "like an AoE blood chill effect" without first checking if blood chill actually chills the victim(it doesn't).

The healing effect from milk is a nice boon and it is probably in a good place right now.

Leather

This believe golem is too slow to really abuse its instant aggressive grab. On the upside it has a satisfying punch sound. It is designed as a standard powerlevel golem despite requiring help from botany or the patience to skin a lot of monkeys. I don't right see any reason to change this golem right now, its okay.

Bronze

Since bronze takes very little effort and materials to create it is designed as weak golem, barely stronger than the standard iron golem. The ability to confuse when struck provides some minor lynching resistance. It is designed to be somewhat similar to the bananium golem in that it is annoying and hard to kill. It can be used as a gong to signal the start ragecage matches. It has an unique ear organ that provides protection against loud noises if transplanted, unique organs are always fun.

Cardboard

This golem is designed to be a weak golem with superior purge resistance, the idea is that golemkind will be able to live on even if the xenobiologist responsible for their creation is executed, perma'd or die to murderbone.

This golem is currently nonfunctional at the time of me writing this post thus I cannot comment on its actual ingame balance yet. Some people have raised concerns about the powerlevel of this golem due to the ease of which it can create new shells. However I don't think this will be problem since golem shells are already insanely spammable and mostly limited by the availability of willing ghosts.

Another use for this golem is that a xenobiologist who doesn't need or want servants can free a single cardboard golem and that golem can create a tribe of golems in another location without requiring any attention from the scientist. I think playing as a tribe of golem maintenance hobos would be a fun way to get back into the round during those long shifts where a syndicate chef has already baked you into a pie 15 minutes in.

Durathread

This golem is designed as a strong golem because it requires help from other departments. Many of the other high tier golems(Alien alloy, diamond, bluespace) have primarily defensive traits, this golem instead has enhanced offensive capabilities. In its current implementation the status effect straight up prevents breathing until removed, with no additional oxygen damage on top.

The ability has thus far proven to be very useful in the few rounds i've played as a traitor xenobiologist, this may change in the future when players are more familiar with the effect as there are several ways to nullify or reduce the impact of this ability with commonly available items.

Have you seen any of my golems ingame? Let me know what you think about them in this thread.