Carp hardsuit is garbage

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Carp hardsuit is garbage

Post by Kryson » #470468

I have a fondness for the syndicate bundles.

These bundles typically have 25-30 tcs, usually at least 27tcs worth of carefully selected items, including some very cool ones not commonly seen otherwise.

The newest(and coolest) of these is the spearfishing bundle.

It includes:

A carp spawner grenade, lets say this is worth 5 tc(its not)
A cool speargun lets say this is worth 10 tc(This kind of single shot weapon is probably not worth 10 tc, considering the free improvised shotgun is not MUCH worse)
A quiver with 20(?) spears probably worth a couple tc
The hardsuit with no slow down that gives you the carp faction then accounts for the remaining 10 or so tc.

But wait! There is no way the carp hardsuit is worth anywhere near 10 tc since it has negative armour, making it the very worst hardsuit in the game. This is aggravated by the fact that traitors can buy the awesome blood red hardsuit for a mere 8 TC, and the blood red hardsuit also has no slowdown when you need to go fast due to combat mode.

Lets compare their armour values.

blood-red hardsuit:

melee = 40
bullet = 50
laser = 30
energy = 15
bomb = 35

carp hardsuit:

melee = -20
bullet = 0
laser = 0
energy = 0
bomb = 0

It seems more like a cruel joke than a real viable hardsuit the syndicate would equip their agents with. Why would i even wear this over a 0 tc EVA suit that doesn't instantly reveal me as a syndicate agent?

If it was given blood red levels of armour and it kept the constant no slow down i think you could be happy about getting this bundle and not feel like you got turbogypped.

Unless there is serious objections to this proposal i will probably arrange for a PR to adjust its armour values to something sensible.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Re: Carp hardsuit is garbage

Post by Shezza » #470469

syndicate balloon is 20 tc

when are we making it oneshot people
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Kryson
Code Maintainer

Post by Kryson » #470471

Shezza wrote:syndicate balloon is 20 tc

Syndicate bundles are supposed to be viable sets of gear.

Syndicate balloon is supposed to be a joke item.

Thank you for the useless troll reply though.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #470483

If bundles only had proper items nobody would buy anything else.
They are a troll pick for when you are bored...
Also for savages like me the quiver alone would be worth the TC, love spears.
4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #470489

Lots of bundles ARE good. The tradeoff is that you don't know what you're going to get, so it might be bad for your specific circumstances. I'll consider buffing the hardsuit.
Kryson
Code Maintainer

Post by Kryson » #470494

Daxxed wrote:If bundles only had proper items nobody would buy anything else.
They are a troll pick for when you are bored...
Also for savages like me the quiver alone would be worth the TC, love spears.
The bundles HAD only proper items until recently, or at least proper bundles. They were and are not popular picks despite this.

I've had great success with even the lower powerlevel bundles such as the spy bundle.

The bundles challenges you to play with items you perhaps normally would not purchase while giving ~50% extra TCs worth of stuff for taking the gamble.

Even if some items such as the camera bug are not amazing they at least do not hinder you or put a giant "I'M VALID" sign on your forehead.

The speargun not only has an ammo capacity of one, its also a bulky item designed around being carried on the hardsuit. You could argue a sawed of improvised shotgun might be better since it fits in your bag.

But the coolness factor of the gun and the embed mechanic could overcome this if the hardsuit was not such a huge piece of trash.

As for the spears they are not regular spears but the special magspear ammo for this gun. The ability to throw them by hand was recently disabled.
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #470501

They are still thrown and thus work on carp users making this the perfect anti-carp meme.
Does the hardsuit really have to be better, I think it being spaceproof while having no slowndown is already enough, is a niche perk but defenitely useful.
We play on Terry, any bundle would work here. Heck people could hijack with soap and a toolbox. :peel:
Hardsuit is fine and if its buffed it should be slowed down.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #470504

Just make the hardsuit not have a negative defense value.

Throwing range for mag spears is 0.
[this space reserved]
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #470615

Kryson wrote:
Shezza wrote:syndicate balloon is 20 tc

Syndicate bundles are supposed to be viable sets of gear.

Syndicate balloon is supposed to be a joke item.

Thank you for the useless troll reply though.
Carp hardsuit is supposed to be a joke item bud :^))))))
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #471534

Sure they get distracted but friendly carp can make a single engagement extremely one sided if they are friendly to you and you spawn them at the right time. Wether a spawner nade is better than a closet full of plushie carp and an extinguisher is debatable but the suit making you carp faction is about the only way it would work. A swarm of friendly simple mobs and you overwhelm basically anyone outside an exosuit if you time it right you could use this chance to say take their better equipment and wear it instead once out of sight of your now roaming aimless carp.