Untelegraphed attacks

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Untelegraphed attacks

Post by pubby » #479840

Most attacks in this game have a small warning before they happen. For example, if someone wants to tase you, they first have to pull out their gun and fire it. If someone wants to e-sword you, they have to pull the sword out and activate it. The window to react is small, but it does exist. You can run the moment you see their sprite change.

Historically, attacks that came without warning have been extremely unpopular. Stuff like parasting, ei nath, stun gloves, martial arts, and parapen are despised by many, and for good reason. There's no counterplay to attacks you can't react to. At least, there isn't besides running from anyone who stands close. To me, that's bad design.

What I wonder is two things.

1. Should the reaction window be increased slightly? i.e. should there be a short delay (.5 seconds?) buffered from the time you put a weapon in your hands from the time the first attack happens?

2. Should we "fix" some of the existing untelegraphed attacks in the game by making them reactible?
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Re: Untelegraphed attacks

Post by Kryson » #479842

Which are the current offenders?

Most if not all dangerous weapons should have an inhand sprite at least.

A related problem is the mech hydraulic clamp, many people don't notice they are attacked at first since it has no sound or attack animation. Since the firefighter is ungodly slow this isn't really a big issue but still feels kind of lame.
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #479846

Ei nath has an inhand sprite. It's the flaming hand sprite, what the cult spells derive from.
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #479849

Greg Tide draws a pen!
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #479861

Kryson wrote:Which are the current offenders?
Hiveminds can assimilate people with zero tells except if you notice them not moving, and the only real way to stop it is by avoiding everyone. Meanwhile, mind control can be used on vesels once the Hivemind has enough. This lead to the "Airlock Walkies" phenomenon, where people would just mind-control their vessels into fully stripping and just strolling out into space. (If you ask me, it's compounded by the fact that mind-controlling people and not killing them will lead to them calling out hiveminds so you're encouraged to make the vessel die.) This was "fixed" with a distance limit on mind control, but that really only narrows the problem a bit, and you could still just attack someone until they move in to put your vessel down and then hop out at the last second.

But apparently dying with absolutely no way to predict it and attempt to stop it is perfectly fine so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hiveminds can also force a heart-attact but IIRC there's a bunc of warning before you actually drop so it's actually okay.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
donutstation
Byond Username: EwynB

Post by donutstation » #479867

also there is detomatix, remote instant stun, delimb, 60 damage and more bad shit is retarded, please delete it
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #479915

pubby wrote:1. Should the reaction window be increased slightly? i.e. should there be a short delay (.5 seconds?) buffered from the time you put a weapon in your hands from the time the first attack happens?
This would be very nice to have, especially if it can be set up as being variable based on size so that there's at least some tradeoff to using big high damage weapons

You should be using a shank to take someone by surprise instead of a fire axe
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #479982

donutstation wrote:also there is detomatix, remote instant stun, delimb, 60 damage and more bad shit is retarded, please delete it
Or add a warning period with big red text, allowing you to at least pull your PDA out and throw it, if not draw the ID too. Similar to the traitor AI's overload program. "x's PDA buzzes and begins to glow brightly!" should be fairly noticeable.

Honestly, this almost makes it a good thing to the people most vulnerable to it- shaft miners. They can throw it and use it as a mining charge instead of getting locked out at best, and fucking murdered by megafauna/ash storms at worst.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #480117

That change wouldn't make it fun though. In fact it would make it net less fun because now even the traitor has less fun than the minimal amount they already had. It's frankly just a failure of a concept to begin with.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #482104

MisterPerson wrote:That change wouldn't make it fun though. In fact it would make it net less fun because now even the traitor has less fun than the minimal amount they already had. It's frankly just a failure of a concept to begin with.
The way you phrase this makes it sound like we don't have players clamoring over limited antag roles.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #482132

If hivemind heart attack has any warning they're really fucking vague. definitely not noticable with how many healing viruses we get now (The worst shit in the game- on the upside you get free healing, on the downside your screen is flooded with messages)
obscolene
Byond Username: Obscolene

Post by obscolene » #482180

cedarbridge wrote:
MisterPerson wrote:That change wouldn't make it fun though. In fact it would make it net less fun because now even the traitor has less fun than the minimal amount they already had. It's frankly just a failure of a concept to begin with.
The way you phrase this makes it sound like we don't have players clamoring over limited antag roles.
sounds like you forgot to read his signature
[center]sc#4622 | everybodygangstauntilnig.ga (UPDATED FREQUENTLY)[/center]
[03:46:59]EMOTE: The Dreamweaver/(Steve Leaf) : <b>Steve Leaf</b> starts jacking lizard dick. (129,128,2)
[03:47:33]SAY: Steve Leaf/The Dreamweaver : OH FUCK IM CHOAKING (129,128,2)
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #482187

cedarbridge wrote:
What? Even if he is, that's not even relevant to the point he's making at all
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: