[POLL] Security Sprite Changes

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Which sprites do you prefer?

Current Sprites
25%
Current Sprites
25%
Current Sprites
25%
Paprika's Sprites
7%
Paprika's Sprites
7%
Paprika's Sprites
7%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 261

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

[POLL] Security Sprite Changes

Post by Steelpoint » #49720

Paprika has put up a PR that replaces the current Security sprites with entirely new one's that mainly revert the Helmet/Armour to the old sprite style and makes the jumpsuit more red.

Link to PR: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6317

Below are the two options. On the left is the current (OLD) Security sprites, on the right are the proposed (NEW) Security sprites.

Last edited by Steelpoint on Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 6 times in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: [POLL] Security Sprite Changes

Post by paprika » #49721

Man your screenshots come out really fucked up BTW.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #49723

Why are we removing the trademark red suits in favor of making sec look like a bastard half breed of the lawyer and detective?

The entire point of a uniform is so that any individual looking can know that "Hey that guy is a sec officer". The uniform of a police officer carries a lot of weight. It is a symbol of the position and the power it holds. That is why impersonating a police officer is a big no no. This new look is not different enough from other outfits on the station to be able to easily identify them as security or just the lawyer in armor.

This is a change that is not just pointless but detrimental to security. If you are bound and determined to change sec uniforms change them to something that is easily identifiable.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #49725

I think the current Security Officer/Warden/HoS uniforms are perfectly fine as they stand.

I created this thread to bring this potential change to the attention of the greater community, as Paprika has clearly stated he has no intention of taking my feedback seriously.
whodaloo
Byond Username: Whodaloo

Post by whodaloo » #49726

I'd argue that a fucking helmet and body armor are plenty identifiable as far as officers go, especially considering the nuke ops change that is also included in the PR means they don't need armor and a helmet due to hardsuit buffs.
i love public logs
Spoiler:
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : Beacuse
SAY: Kolt Saudwell/RedMcCloud : ((im banned))

SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Hos
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : Can i bang you]
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : ]plras
SAY: Zack Bodast/Logman : R; I WROTE THIS SOMG FOR YOU HOS

SAY: Bryce Pax/IcePacks : I THINK I WAS A LITTLE HASTY IN GIVING THE CREW ACCESS TO THE ARMORY

Lusty Xenomorph Maid begins to clean the telescopic baton with the soap...

[Common] Garrett Larson says, "How do i shot pod"

OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : WHodaloo, why are you so fucking aggressive against me
OOC: Engineer Donkin/Whodaloo : i have no idea what you're talking about chief
OOC: Zoey Webb/Firecage : Cuck sucking dick wanking piece of cock shit head
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #49727

Pap's idea reminds me more of a Lawyer during a Rev round than a actual Security Officer. Red is a iconic appearance of the Security Officer and the current uniform is perfectly fine, and paprika has not given a good explanation as to why he wants to change the uniform aside from...
I'm really not a fan of dark red ausops
This PR is not getting merged without my armor sprites, I'm holding my cool syndicate feature HOSTAGE until you comply with my demands of merging my awesome armor and helmets too
I don't really care sec being mean black and edgy is crap
I don't really give a shit about your opinion on this
(Also he's removing the Sec Hailer voice function from the Sec Gas masks, and the 10 melee armour from the jumpsuits, just mentioned that on the bottom)
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #49729

Honestly I only did the mall cop thing because people mentioned sec looked too mean and I think the real issue is the ausops sec officer uniform, the red on it is really muted compared to the warden and HoS, i don't like it at all.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Random Players
Byond Username: Random Players

Post by Random Players » #49738

Current is: "Oh, it's security."
Paprika's is: "Get the fuck out of here, assistant!"

To me, at least. Simply due to the overall 'feeling' the colors and armors give off.
RogerWilco
Byond Username: BlakeJohnson

Post by RogerWilco » #49743

Eugh, mall cops.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #49746

nah fuck this security looks great as is
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #49747

No.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #49751

Ok, Paprika redid his Security Sprite change slightly. He removed the white mallcop jumpsuit. I've updated the OP with the new sprites, and I've (attempted to) reset the poll. At the time of the change the poll as at 9 against and 2 for.

Personal note, while I think the jumpsuit change is fine, I disagree with him reverting the helmet/armour back to the old style, not to mention we already had that debate/vote a month ago and most people voted to keep the new armour sprites over the old ones (https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1982)
Akkryls
Byond Username: Akkryls

Post by Akkryls » #49753

danno wrote:nah fuck this security looks great as is
Currently, you know they're Security just by seeing red jumpsuits.
Now they just look like assistants or lawyers who have stolen Sec equipment.

Post change edit: Eh, I can live with different shades of red.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #49756

Current suits have more detail, pap's new red ones look rather featureless.
danno

Post by danno » #49758

opinion is still the same
you say they look "faded" but they mesh so much better than these new ones
Lo6a4evskiy
Byond Username: Lo6a4evskiy

Post by Lo6a4evskiy » #49759

I prefer pap's sprites. It's really just subjective. What we need is a) screenshots of them in the game, not zoomed in ten times and b) less drama.
TheWulfe
Byond Username: TheWulfe

Post by TheWulfe » #49762

Why are there two completely different changes on one commit? Kind of weird to include nuke op functionality with a sprite changes. Anyway

Sec sprite change.
Current black/red is really good. Current armor has vastly improved in color and detail. The armor change/revert literally only has a 3 shades of grey color palette from years ago.

People know flat out that anyone wearing that combined jumpsuit armor color scheme is a security officer in a power position. It has a certain presence to it that I'm sure some armchair psychologist could better explain.
Don't like it.

Nuke op change:
It's yet ANOTHER thing I have to hope to god my fellow ops know how to do on a checklist among plenty that they don't blow cover/spotted in maint/don't veer off into random space/die of exposure or air/grab a pinpointer. Especially In an antag role that requires much less bloat.

That, and the only reason people would ever take off the hardsuit (it's rare beyond stealth from what I've seen) for combat purposes is extra movespeed. You could just satisfy the entire problem by just removing the speed penalty without having to complicate the whole process with hardsuit modes. I'm a fan of Keep It Simple. I'm sure lore-wise the syndicate are supplying their agents with the best combat hard-suits for speed.

For the actual modes themselves.
For armor, You're giving up space and syringe protection for speed.
For helmet, You're again giving up space and syringe protection for stealth/NVG usability.
Seems more like an overcomplicated nerf just Null valuing cold and syringe protection for stuff they already have naturally but having to go through modes to cycle to it. The speed penalty removal is the only thing good here.
Overall, don't like it.

That criticism aside...

Paprika should quit grudge-coding security attire already. Not everything that makes a person go, 'Oh, that looks cool.' is 'edgy cosplay' in his words.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #49764

I like the old sprites better, more black. That said, wouldn't be sad to see hailers go, they are only ever used to spam law because LOLSOFANNY as far as i have seen. But yeah, keep the oldsprites
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #49766

Pap's look like the older security sorties with better detail. Don't try to fix what isn't broke you dorf. Unneeded changes aren't required when nobody fucking complains
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #49770

The new sec sprites honestly look worse than the old ones, when the current art direction is for MORE detail. They also look too much like two greyshirt jumpsuits variants which can cause confusion.

Break off the syndie changes onto its own PR because trying to get this through is honestly going to cause Slowspace 3.0: Even Slower
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #49775

To prevent confusion, from this point forward the definitions of the two sprites are such that the Current Security sprites in game should be called the OLD sprites, while Paprika's sprites should be called either the NEW sprites or PAPRIKA'S sprites.

This is to avoid confusion. Thank you.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #49777

Paprikas helmet makes your head look kinda misshapen from the side, and the armor makes you look fat. This is personally why i do not like it
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #49829

But it doesn't, both are the exact same shape as the ausops helmet/armors
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #49830

I like pap's helmet since it looks less like a plastic bike helmet.

But the old vest is best.

Middle ground pls
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
danno

Post by danno » #49847

i think paprika's looks more plastic if anything
this isn't supposed to be mean but ausop's sprites are just better.
what is the point of this?
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #49854

Wait, why is sec losing jumpsuit protection and the IAMTHELAW? That is far more important that minor sprite differences.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #49855

Apparently 10% damage reduction on arms is too OP.

And Sec Masks are just a bit of fun, and we all know what happens to fun.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #49857

Yes, removing the gas masks is entirely because we hate fun. Has nothing to do with the "faceless goon" appearance it gives security. Has nothing to do with the proliferation of gas masks and encouraging all security to powergame via constantly having the gas mask equipped "just in case". Has nothing to do with reducing the rsc file size by a good chunk by cutting out a bunch of sounds. Has nothing to do with the failure of the security gas masks at being a way for security to tell criminals to stop and instead being used by people spamming. No no, it's none of that, it's an irrational hatred of things people find fun. That makes far more sense.

The damage reduction should be part of the armor. Having it on the jumpsuit is just a hidden feature that adds nothing but increased complexity. It also encourages people to steal security jumpsuits and wear them constantly, which is really stupid.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #49858

I know they are the same size, they just give the impression of making you look fat/misshapen head. Hence why old sprites have won this vote by a pretty large margin
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
danno

Post by danno » #49861

iyaerP wrote:Wait, why is sec losing jumpsuit protection and the IAMTHELAW? That is far more important that minor sprite differences.
i'm not even against this but why make the topic so misleading if it isn't just sprite changes??

why are you all out to be dicks?? why don't you ever just work together??
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #49864

I can count the number of people I've arrested for stealing a security uniform on one hand, thats after four years of heavy sec play.
Arrested a fair few for jackboots though, especially Miku - she loved her lesbo boots

You're talking about a problem that doesn't exist.

By the way, a huge part of the appeal of this game is the large background complexity of it. If everything was straight forward, boiled down to the dumbest denominator I know I would've lost interest after only a few months
Last edited by Malkevin on Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danno

Post by danno » #49865

aren't we always?
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #49877

Poll needs a combination of both option.

I prefer the old helmet style better because like Ikarrus said the current helmet looks like a bike helmet. The red on pap's sprites are better too, but the sprite itself seems a little too simple. I would prefer if we could raise the saturation on the current sprites colors and switch the helmet styles.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #49879

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #49880

Security gasmask is fantastic. For stopping people you want to question though not full on criminals why would you expect that?

Paprika's new gasmask sprite doesn't make sec faceless the helmet does. Unless you think HURR HURR FACLESS GOON every time you see someone in an emergency oxygen mask.

Is this against new paprika sprites or what? Would hate to lose papmask one sprite they made I liked.

Parts of sec are set up to n2o flood mister person hence the masks, sheesh you hate security.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #49891

Yeah, new mask sprites show more face than breath masks do.

They also would've been a lot less stereotypical faceless goon if you listened to the will of the author, me, to keep the intentionally goofy looking original sprites.
And I did suggest the alternative option of instead putting the voice caster on the armor instead.

Oh, and if you really want to bring up the "But they bloat the rsc!!!"
The complionator folder is a fuck all 411 KB, compared to 5.09 MB required by the vox_female folder to let the AIs occasionally broadcast "Captain is Comdom, Ass Blast USA, ASS Blast USA, Johnson Inspection Required in Shower, WHOOP WHOOP!"
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #49893

Also they weren't actually removed as far as I can see. Since the sechailer is still in the game, it was just removed from security gasmasks.

So there is no benefit to RSC size afaik
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #49895

Wasn't the complinator added because Security fell into the meta of stun first, questions later since people won't stand still long enough for the player to type things out

Also if you have to move it, make it an armor addon
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #49939

The soundss for the sec mask were almost never used for proper purposes, and usually just served as a good indication of shitcurity.
I remember before we had sec masks we had loads of officers that would wear normal gas mask. Some people like the faceless goon look. I do not. Helmet + mask makes you goon as shit.

I have only ever seen people steal sec jumpsuits to impersonate security. I have NEVER, in two years, seen anyone steal it for the protection. Also you can't even get sec jumpsuits anymore, outside of the brig/cargo crates.
Also how is it invisible armor? dermal patch was invisible, sec jumpsuits are not. Hell, you can even see the kneepads and whatnot.

The real issue for me though is the current sprites look GOOD, especially for the jumpsuit, helmet/armor. They have far more definition then Pap's proposed sprites, which look extremely flat in comparison.
Pap said they were inconsistent with the hos/warden jumpsuits, but it would look nicer if they were simply improved to the sec officer standard.

And please stop calling them edgy. The jumpsuits are just more washed out and have slightly more pronouced highlights/outlines, and the helmet has (for byond) shading from light to dark as it goes down.ie: light shining on it from above, or whatever. The new one looks wierd because it has a distinct dark grey rectangle above the eyes with a pale grey filling.
The armor currently looks more like an armored vest. Old/pap armor looks like a metal plate strapped to your stomach.

The new formal outfits are neat though, as are the departmental armbands. Ideally though, they would be equipable/visible over some/most/all exosuits. IE: stick it on the arm of a leather jacket.
Aleph

Post by Aleph » #49956

The dull color is because assistants spawn with light red jumpsuits.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #49970

Malkevin wrote:I can count the number of people I've arrested for stealing a security uniform on one hand, thats after four years of heavy sec play.
Arrested a fair few for jackboots though, especially Miku - she loved her lesbo boots

Exactly. No one steals sec uniforms for protection. So why even have the mechanic if it literally does nothing and changes nothing except to have except a slightly increased workload in design and balance?

iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #49971

MisterPerson wrote:
Malkevin wrote:I can count the number of people I've arrested for stealing a security uniform on one hand, thats after four years of heavy sec play.

Exactly. No one steals sec uniforms for protection. So why even have the mechanic if it literally does nothing and changes nothing except to have except a slightly increased workload in design and balance?
Maybe so that sec officers retain part of their protection if they are wearing something other than their default armour? Like one of the 4 seperate options available to them in the armoury perchance? Or a looted syndicate hardsuit, taken victoriously from the corpse of my hated foe.

And for the record, a lot of us who play sec LIKE being faceless goons. Do I look like a red version of the combine soldiers from HL2? If so, GOOD, because that is exactly how I want to look. Like the evil, oppressive black boot of the LAW. I want traitors to fear to face me, and flee into the shadows, not have assistants decide that since I am wearing a silly beret they have a good chance of toolboxing me in the head for a free taser.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #49973

Folks, in case you haven't noticed yet, the current armor covers the whole entire neck and none of the abdomen to an embarrassing extent. The current helmet and armor are also completely lacking any outlines, and the only reason why the armor "looks" okay is because the sec belt handles the entire bottom half since it's absolutely gigantic.

I admit the kneepads are nice though, and wouldn't mind seeing those on the new jumpsuits.

A bit of work can definitely be done for the proposed new (old) helmet and armor, but over all it just looks so much better with everything.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #49976

I should mention that paprika has split up the PR's and made a seperate PR for the sprite changes.

Here's the PR: https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6317

Despite the overwhelming opposition, I'm going to take the bet that this gets merged nonetheless.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #49986

Mrperson you can't say people are powergaming and stealing sec jumpsuits, and then when you get refuted say 'aha, exactly, they're not good enough for powergamers to steal therefore they shouldn't exist.

And jumpsuit protection gives a slight edge over normal crew during melee scuffles, and helps balance them out when wearing alt armor, as Steel mentioned.

I would like to see where anyone has ever found jumpsuit protection an issue in game.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #49992

lumipharon wrote:Mrperson you can't say people are powergaming and stealing sec jumpsuits, and then when you get refuted say 'aha, exactly, they're not good enough for powergamers to steal therefore they shouldn't exist.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #49995

> Having it on the jumpsuit is just a hidden feature that adds nothing but increased complexity. It also encourages people to steal security jumpsuits and wear them constantly, which is really stupid.

>Exactly. No one steals sec uniforms for protection. So why even have the mechanic if it literally does nothing and changes nothing except to have except a slightly increased workload in design and balance?

It's not a strawman when it's exactly what you said.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator

Post by MisterPerson » #49996

>Having it on the jumpsuit is just a hidden feature that adds nothing but increased complexity. It also encourages people to steal security jumpsuits and wear them constantly, which is really stupid.

>It also encourages people to

>encourages

Learn to read. It ENCOURAGES them to do so and they don't do it anyway. Means it's a shitty mechanic.

lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #49998

Are you really saying that the fact an item that confers some level of advantage but isn't constantly stolen by people (keeping in mind that's literally theft from sec and will get you brigged) doesn't normally happen, and is therefore 'a bad mechanic'?
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #50001

Yeah MrPerson, that seems like a shit reason to remove it
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster