Space Dragon

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Space Dragon

Post by cedarbridge » #492342

Its shit.

I've watched it tank a full team of deathsquaddies for several shots only to disappear into space, zip around to the other side of the station, snack a couple random crew who have literally no means of meaningfully harming the thing, and then go back to tanking. We don't allow admins to spawn megafauna on station, so why on Earth do we have a randomspawn mob that is literally a sentienced megafauna with slightly reduced stats?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Space Dragon

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492345

We couldn't get the Skeleton Car merged.

So this was the best alternative
► Show Spoiler
Horza
Byond Username: HorzBor

Post by Horza » #492346

I've never seen it not die to a halfway decent sec team or even just concerned greytiders. I remember the very first random-spawn instance of it on Sybil and it failed to reasonably resist a few validhunting borgos who were getting in the way of its peaceful dragon gimmick.
It's really not a problem. Unless sec and the response team are busy trying to handle three admin-spawned blobs at the same time.
Spürdo spädre sbrölölö :DDDDD
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #492347

Horza wrote:peaceful dragon gimmick
Found your problem
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Post by Kangtut » #492356

If the death squad wasn't using the Unicas then that is your problem. The dragon goes down like a cheap whore if you use brute damage.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #492368

It breaking so much shit is the main reason it’s a forced shuttlecall- particularly cancerous is the rwall smashing. Rarity can’t balance something.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492370

Kangtut wrote:If the death squad wasn't using the Unicas then that is your problem. The dragon goes down like a cheap whore if you use brute damage.
Yup. Pulse rifles.

50% resistance to that.
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #492387

It won't go on the station if the crew puts up a reasonably solid defense against it, and in space you can outside and force it to be defensive if you use the co2 or captain jet packs to outrun it. Fire is it's main weapon and it can't use it well in space beyond the initial burn on hit. It plays more strongly as an opportunistic antag instead of one trying to full charge the crew.

If the crew isn't prepared, they die, just like anything else that spawns. You don't spawn death squads against ninjas do you? Maybe if you didn't just spawn a full death squad every time as soon as it spawns you'd have a much more engaging antag.

Here's a hint: get shotguns and firesuits, don't fight it in the hallways where it has a tactical advantage. Also, slugs work best.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #492405

cedarbridge wrote:We don't allow admins to spawn megafauna on station, so why on Earth do we have a randomspawn mob that is literally a sentienced megafauna with slightly reduced stats?
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #492407

Like anything else in this game that spawns an hour in

Bomb Spears

Bomb Spears are the solution to everything
► Show Spoiler
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #492410

cedarbridge wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:We don't allow admins to spawn megafauna on station, so why on Earth do we have a randomspawn mob that is literally a sentienced megafauna with slightly reduced stats?
Why do we allow admins to spawn blobs? They're round ending mobs that require a concentrated effort from the entire crew to defeat.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #492412

cedarbridge wrote:
>we don't allow admins to spawn X so why do we let the game randomly spawn X
hmm
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Yakumo_Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #492419

Originally I wasn't going to open a complaint because I enjoyed my last round as a dragon but I probably will now when I get home because of this ided attitude.

Last night I was a dragon and I had a very enjoyable time. I ended up eating my target and fought a captain who had nothing but a sword while some admin played skyrim music. It was very epic.

Eventually I got the upperhand I guess because the captain ran away and I went to go heal myself as well.

Right before the shuttle left I went towards xenobio expecting to eat slime or something. Captain flew up to me again and I prepped myself for one last showdown.

Instantly died. Confused, I ahelped. Admin (can't remember who) replied "he found a supermatter sword". Very unepic and unchanging way to deal with an antag, presumably because some ided admin was salty I "won" and was going to greentext. Spawning instantly lethal weapons or death squads because you are salty because the antag "won" is really poor form.

There are much better ways to deal with seemingly overwhelming antag with a little creativity. Spawn some more swords and jet packs, I would have liked to fight a bunch of hulks with jetpacks or something but the way salty admins handle things turned a very exciting and epic time into an immediate letdown.
Last edited by Yakumo_Chen on Tue May 07, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kangtut
Byond Username: KangTut

Post by Kangtut » #492421

cedarbridge wrote:

Because it's not a megafauna? A shotgun using buckshot can kill it without having to even empty the entire thing into the dragon. When was the last time the Drake, Colossus, or Bubblegum gone down like that? It can break stuff - which other random spawns can do (fucking xenobio can make wall destroying monsters), it hits hard (xenos and other random spawns can also kill people in a few hits), heals from eating corpses so it can stay in the game longer (we allow wizards to summon 3 fuckers that can do that and wizards are more common than dragons).

The moment one spawns all sec has to do is hold it off with riot shotguns while cargo arms the crew with combat shotguns and that's it. The dragon can only try to shoot fire because if it tries to get into melee it will die from 3-4 buckshots.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #492454

also, the no megafauna on the station was kor's decree because of the fact that they're tracked on the kill list on the tg medal tracker.

it's not as relevant these days.

Further more, this thing only appears at 90 minutes into the round unless an admin inteferes.

Rounds rarely reach this length on high pop and during low pop it's unlikely that the minimum population is reached.

This should be an exceedingly rare event, which will naturally bump up it's lethality slightly.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #492477

oranges wrote:also, the no megafauna on the station was kor's decree because of the fact that they're tracked on the kill list on the tg medal tracker.

it's not as relevant these days.

Further more, this thing only appears at 90 minutes into the round unless an admin inteferes.

Rounds rarely reach this length on high pop and during low pop it's unlikely that the minimum population is reached.

This should be an exceedingly rare event, which will naturally bump up it's lethality slightly.
basically this. it's rare and strong and that's fine.
confused rock wrote:Rarity can’t balance something.
i don't necessarily disagree, but not everything needs to be balanced, and rare things especially are given leeway on being unbalanced. space dragon is definitely rare (see oranges' post that i quoted). ss13 was never meant to have a perfectly balanced PvP experience anyways
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #493048

I saw a space dragon spawn, start it's killing spree, then immediately get gatted down by a lizard with a riot shotgun filled with buckshot. He just walked up to it and pumped it full of lead.

They die pretty easily to bullet if you have the balls to rush it. Granted, lizards have an easier time against them.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #493118

lizard on lizard violence
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #493161

oranges wrote:Rounds rarely reach this length on high pop and during low pop it's unlikely that the minimum population is reached.
The min pop is a very recent change and I assume not everybody is aware of it yet.
I think it's 30 or 35 if I remember right which is still pretty low. You'll have 1 or 2 seccies and 1 or 2 Cargonians on average. If the dragon is smart he'll space the armory first and go ham, gibbing everyone.
Honestly the gib should be removed. Make it delimb for all I care so the dragon can still eat to heal but let the people get cloned so a dragon can't force people into observegang for 30 minutes.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

4dplanner
Byond Username: 4DPlanner
Github Username: 4dplanner

Post by 4dplanner » #493164

"Slightly" reduced stats lmao
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #493207

If it's happening before 70 minutes it's broke or adminspawned (most likely the former).
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #493246

"only powergamers ask security for armory gear to kill station threats" -generous rewording of a quote from a person whos name will be withheld

it's like a slaughter demon but weaker IMO, doesnt have the meme blood jaunt
wow x antag is OP ((if the admins already killed everyone on the station with buttonmashing prior))

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #493264

Now that I think about it. It should unironically have a shorter spawn time.

It's a problem because an hour in, everyone is already suffering or braindead. When it has a full crew of active hunters. Then it'll go down much faster.
► Show Spoiler
Daxxed
Byond Username: Daxxed

Post by Daxxed » #496200

You are actually not wrong lmfao