Doctor is a shit job

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Re: Doctor is a shit job

Post by CPTANT » #501010

Bottom post of the previous page:

terranaut wrote: The first step towards the irrelevance of chemists is done anyway with the addition of the apothecary to all maps except Pubby.
What is this referring to?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #501027

I have no idea
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #501034

maybe the movement of chem generation to botany?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #501094

confused rock wrote:maybe the movement of chem generation to botany?
Is that actively worked on?
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #501246

not that I am aware of
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #501414

the issue with reagents is that it's too easy to get just what you want, that doesn't change whether we're talking about chemistry's route or botany's. Chemistry changes should focus on it being a dirtier process imo.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #501422

[youtube]CJ8vwY1Kn-Q[/youtube]
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #501438

Cobby wrote:the issue with reagents is that it's too easy to get just what you want, that doesn't change whether we're talking about chemistry's route or botany's. Chemistry changes should focus on it being a dirtier process imo.
True, getto chemistry is fun, using the chem dispenser is rather boring, especially if you just upload the macro.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #501441

the guy who wants doctors removed and all healing to be the purview of the chemists also wants chemistry to made more difficult and inaccessible to new players

:roll:
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #501483

Super Aggro Crag wrote:the guy who wants doctors removed and all healing to be the purview of the chemists also wants chemistry to made more difficult and inaccessible to new players

:roll:
In the long run I want a total redesign of the chemistry system yes. The current system consists of "upload macro, press button, get chemical". Recipe balance is all over the place and there isn't any real progression.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #501484

CPTANT wrote:In the long run I want a total redesign of the chemistry system yes. The current system consists of "upload macro, press button, get chemical". Recipe balance is all over the place and there isn't any real progression.
IF ONLY THERE WAS SOME SORT OF WAY TO REMOVE MACROS. IF ONLY THEY WERE A RELATIVELY NEW THING THAT CAN'T BE KEPT AROUND JUST BECAUSE IT IS OLD LIKE CLONING. IF ONLY WE COULD REVERT FEATURES THAT WE DON'T LIKE BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THEY ARE UNBALANCED.

I don't know how you can make chemistry more interesting without pushing buttons. The only thing I can think of (which i am too scared to say) would just be horrible. Can you perhaps give us your ideas of how a resdesign would work?
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #501486

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
CPTANT wrote:In the long run I want a total redesign of the chemistry system yes. The current system consists of "upload macro, press button, get chemical". Recipe balance is all over the place and there isn't any real progression.
IF ONLY THERE WAS SOME SORT OF WAY TO REMOVE MACROS. IF ONLY THEY WERE A RELATIVELY NEW THING THAT CAN'T BE KEPT AROUND JUST BECAUSE IT IS OLD LIKE CLONING. IF ONLY WE COULD REVERT FEATURES THAT WE DON'T LIKE BECAUSE WE BELIEVE THEY ARE UNBALANCED.

I don't know how you can make chemistry more interesting without pushing buttons. The only thing I can think of (which i am too scared to say) would just be horrible. Can you perhaps give us your ideas of how a resdesign would work?
Having to gather ingredients from sources outside of chemistry for stronger chemicals would go a long way.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #501511

I always found medical's tedium to be in the chemical generation part. Sal acid for one has way too much effort needed to make it for its effect. There needs to be quick general healing meds you can bang out the door. Chemmasfer bottles need more capacity in my opinion since every doctor prefers to grab a chembag full of styptic or synth patches than fiddle around with syringes for controlled healing
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #501515

Anonmare wrote:Chemmasfer bottles need more capacity in my opinion since every doctor prefers to grab a chembag full of styptic or synth patches than fiddle around with syringes for controlled healing
The problem is styptic and silver sulf are stupidly easy to make and are more powerful than the more complicated drugs.

the topical medicines will heal you at any level, the ingested ones stop healing as well when you have less than 60 damage. Reducing the healing of styptic and silver sulf to just the immediate heal would do wonders(but piss off the playerbase). Either the power or the ease of making Sal acid and its burn counterpart need to be increased.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #501524

Dr_bee wrote:
Anonmare wrote:Chemmasfer bottles need more capacity in my opinion since every doctor prefers to grab a chembag full of styptic or synth patches than fiddle around with syringes for controlled healing
The problem is styptic and silver sulf are stupidly easy to make and are more powerful than the more complicated drugs.

the topical medicines will heal you at any level, the ingested ones stop healing as well when you have less than 60 damage. Reducing the healing of styptic and silver sulf to just the immediate heal would do wonders(but piss off the playerbase). Either the power or the ease of making Sal acid and its burn counterpart need to be increased.
Why I made this: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/44657
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #501525

I've played baycode servers and medical isn't as boring, notably on Eris where a lot of the tedium is sped up. Doctors are cool and good because not all injuries are equal and can be fixed with whatever is in the fridge (Except stuff like IB technically as a bicardine overdose can treat it, assuming you don't overdo it and critically overdose).
Our docs are lukewarm and inadequate due to the rarity of their expertise being needed. You need actual medical surgery once in a blue moon and there isn't anything in Medbay to perform a diagnosis that a health analyser can't tell you.

Unironically make health analysers imprecise and unable to scan for non-medicine reagents, return the chemical scanner and add the body scanner for detecting internal injruies/mutations/traumas/etc. Give people a reason to go to Medbay for things they can't do themselves.
Last edited by Anonmare on Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #501529

Anonmare wrote:I've played baycode servers and medical isn't as boring, notably on Eris where a lot of the tedium is sped up. Doctors are cool and good because not all injuries are equal and can be fixed with whatever is in the fridge (Except stuff like IB technically as a bicardine overdose can treat it, assuming you don't overdo it and critically overdose).
Our docs are lukewarm and inadequate due to the rarity of their expertise being needed. You need actual medical surgery once in a blue moon and there isn't anything in Medway to perform a diagnosis that a health analyser can't tell you.

Unironically make health analyser imprecise and unable to scan for non-medicine reagents, return the chemical scanner and add the body scanner for detecting internal injruies/mutations/traumas/at. Give people a reason to go to Medbay for this they can't do themselves
Nothing is going to matter as long as it is more convenient to push someone into the cloner and get a fully healed body 1 minute later, it even gets a beneficial mutation!

Upgraded cloner is too good.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #501577

tbh separate cloning the body and mind from one another and go Eclipse Phase/Altered Carbon-style.

The cloner works like a traditional cloner and can produce mindless humans with the SE and UI/UE on file, the cloner will require biomass to function from now on (synthmeat, regular meat, limbs/organs will produce biomass but you will always get less biomass from a body than it takes to make a new one).

Give the CMO 3-5 "blank" cortical stacks to start with to use as they wish which require surgery to be installed into the brain, once a stack is implanted, migrate the player's mind into the stack. The stack is now locked to that player's mind and, if removed, the body it was previously in becomes catatonic and/or drops dead, if removed from the brain, the brain is rendered useless. The brain does not need to be removed to insert a stack because I said so.

If the stack is inserted into a mindless/weak-willed body's brain, it will assert itself over it and the player is now walking and talking around once more. If placed into a body already with a mind and a will, the cortical stack behaves like how cortical borers functioned with each mind struggling for dominance and can RESIST to assume control from the other, the personality not in control can speak silently to the mind in control however.

Additional stacks require tech from near the end of the tech-web and require significant/rare resources to construct, necessitating each one to either be used carefully or to go to whoever has the money to pay for one.

This allows some interesting possibilities, like using the cloning record of a security officer and the cortical stack of a fellow antagonist to get an undercover mole into the ranks in a way that's not quite as openly suspicious as genetics identity theft. Or placing the stack into the brain of an exotic species (or a normal one, if you're already exotic).
tinodrima7020
Byond Username: TinoDrima7020

Post by tinodrima7020 » #501579

Anonmare wrote:tbh separate cloning the body and mind from one another and go Eclipse Phase/Altered Carbon-style.

The cloner works like a traditional cloner and can produce mindless humans with the SE and UI/UE on file, the cloner will require biomass to function from now on (synthmeat, regular meat, limbs/organs will produce biomass but you will always get less biomass from a body than it takes to make a new one).

Give the CMO 3-5 "blank" cortical stacks to start with to use as they wish which require surgery to be installed into the brain, once a stack is implanted, migrate the player's mind into the stack. The stack is now locked to that player's mind and, if removed, the body it was previously in becomes catatonic and/or drops dead, if removed from the brain, the brain is rendered useless. The brain does not need to be removed to insert a stack because I said so.

If the stack is inserted into a mindless/weak-willed body's brain, it will assert itself over it and the player is now walking and talking around once more. If placed into a body already with a mind and a will, the cortical stack behaves like how cortical borers functioned with each mind struggling for dominance and can RESIST to assume control from the other, the personality not in control can speak silently to the mind in control however.

Additional stacks require tech from near the end of the tech-web and require significant/rare resources to construct, necessitating each one to either be used carefully or to go to whoever has the money to pay for one.

This allows some interesting possibilities, like using the cloning record of a security officer and the cortical stack of a fellow antagonist to get an undercover mole into the ranks in a way that's not quite as openly suspicious as genetics identity theft. Or placing the stack into the brain of an exotic species (or a normal one, if you're already exotic).
We cyber punk now
If you see this image please show Subject217 some love. He's in a dark place right now :(
Spoiler:
Fikou wrote:
The problem is that the autistic fucking admins on these SS13 servers, so drunk with power, so intoxicated on the scent of their sweaty ballsacks as they drown in 'decision making' and 'responsibility', things they've never had before, hand out permabans for next to nothing. Why not a 3 month ban? Why not a 6 month ban? No. A fucking perma ban. Nevermind that people change, nevermind that people have shitty days or good days, nevermind that FOREVER IS A FUCKING LONG TIME, no... Permabans. And then they expect you to appeal on the forums so they can have MORE POWER, MORE DECISION MAKING. "HOO HOO, LOOKIT ME MOMMY, I GET TO DECIDE THE FATE OF THIS MAN HOOOO HOOOOOO WOWEEE SO EXCITE, MY LITTLE WINKY WILLY IS GETTING CHUB-CHUB, MOMMY." And let's be fucking absolutely real here, the only reason admins want people to sign up for the fucking forums to fucking ban appeal is so they can sell the members e-mails to, like, Chinese realtors or some shit.