Emergency launching the escape shuttle

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Emergency launching the escape shuttle

Post by Mickyan » #506576

Is a fundamentally flawed mechanic that doesn't mix with the flow of rounds/gamemodes

1. Strictly speaking of winning the current gamemode, there is no mechanical reason not to emergency launch, not doing so is giving antagonists a chance to complete their objectives (see: cult, nuke ops)
2. Crew on the shuttle is encouraged to launch at the first sign of trouble rather than wait for others, robbing the round of a possibly interesting climax/last stand moment with people scrambling to get survivors and the wounded inside
3. Potentially ruins the round for the entire server as most traitor objectives require you to be on the escape shuttle and arguably the only way to win for normal crew is to survive on the shuttle
4. Round ending calamities such as loose singularities (one of the main reasons stated for this feature to exist) are nowadays extremely rare for this feature to be kept
5. Due to the reasons stated above, early launching is very frequently abused

There's two ways I see to fix this:
1. Just get rid of the damn thing
2. Emergency launching halves the launch timer instead of instant takeoff, so trying to early launch 5 seconds from docking gives people enough of a heads up to hurry
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Calibraptor
Byond Username: Calibraptor

Re: Emergency launching the escape shuttle

Post by Calibraptor » #506585

Admins bwoink nerds who early launch 4noraisins
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #506666

Im not convinced they do.

it strikes me as a mechanic added to soothe whiners back when the shuttle was first made longer.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #506679

literally just 5 minutes ago i finished a round where i was a captain who authorized the last swipe for early launch, a tesla was coming down the hallway and we were waiting as long as we could before launching to let people get on. it was cool and dramatic and fun. also we do ban people who just launch to powergame or "because LOL" or whatever.

that said it could probably use a nerf, maybe make it cut the shuttle launch time in half like red alert does to the shuttle timer? or maybe even a quarter, but also make it so you can cancel the early launch?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #506730

Whatever punishments are being handed out are obviously not harsh enough or too far apart because I still routinely see it being used during extended, but this isn't a policy thread

The situation you describe is a drop in the bucket compared to "early launch to not make the nukies win" or "early launch because there's a traitor killing people somewhere and also i'm bored", both bringing the round's climax to a screeching halt for anyone that isn't present on the escape shuttle
Be nice to each other.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #506749

From a code/mechanics perspective, early launching is a somewhat flawed feature, but it adds more than it takes away. The potential to take away from certain scenarios exists, but it also exists as an option for not only crew but also traitors(emagged consoles/multiple IDs) to get the fuck out early for any multitude of reasons. Early launching due to some sort of calamitous event(nuke ops have the disk, cult has halos, meteors, singuloth/tesloose, etc etc) seems to happen a lot more often than powergame/lolrandumb early launches.

If you think that people aren't getting punished/discouraged from abusing it often enough, that's not a code discussion, that's a policy discussion. Positive depth of play shouldn't be removed from the code just because you're under the assumption that policy and intervention doesn't protect it from rare cases of abuse well enough.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #506802

I disagree
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #506810

oranges wrote:I disagree
:| maybe you didnt do anything about it as an admin, but i know that i and others do, it's not really a subjective thing that you can disagree on
Spoiler:
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #506820

Yeah I'm getting annoyed with it, after seeing a blatant meme early launch today I grilled the 3 who swiped on it and noted the 3rd who was responsible for the launch, then put the whole server on notice. Gonna drop notes and eventually 5m bans if people continually meme launch.
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #506843

PKPenguin321 wrote:
:| maybe you didnt do anything about it as an admin, but i know that i and others do, it's not really a subjective thing that you can disagree on
except it is, because the admin team does jack shit about it and bareyl has coverage even in prime time.

Saying the admin team does anything about this kind of stuff is just a joke
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #506846

oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
except it is, because the admin team does jack shit about it and bareyl has coverage even in prime time.

Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

t. been bwoinked for an early launch before(I had a good reason though, so no note for me lads)

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #506853

oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

it isn't, admins not being good enough has never really been a reason for outright removing things. that's too widely applicable of an argument; i'm sure somebody's gotten away with a non-antag plasma flood when admins werent on, doesnt mean we're removing plasma fires. if an admin doesn't punish a rulebreaker, that's on the admin and the rulebreaker, not on a game mechanic that is involved secondarily.
Spoiler:
Dr_bee
Byond Username: DrBee

Post by Dr_bee » #506867

Auto-note system maybe? nothing that would be punishable by themselves but it would be good to see established patterns, for example suiciding at roundstart and early launching the shuttle.

Its a code solution but it would make catching certain behaviors easier. depending on the metrics measured.
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #506927

Lack of proper oversight isn't an issue, only a compounding factor
Be nice to each other.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #507232

Dr_bee wrote:Auto-note system maybe? nothing that would be punishable by themselves but it would be good to see established patterns, for example suiciding at roundstart and early launching the shuttle.

Its a code solution but it would make catching certain behaviors easier. depending on the metrics measured.
if you want to know those things it'd be better to query the logs for it than fuck around adding notes to people that may or may not be removed later
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #507267

Just log early launching with ckeys as a unique entry so if you cared you can easily parse.

I was a head (forgot if CMO or HOP) in the round PKP was referring to, there's definitely valid usecases for emergency launching.

We just need to make it clear that it should be used for reacting to immediate emergencies (Bombs/Singulotesla/OPs/Facerolling Cult)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Mickyan
Github User

Post by Mickyan » #507995

A possible alternative I forgot to mention is to require all 3 IDs to be swiped within 5 seconds of each other, which wouldn't be much of an issue during a real emergency but would prevent the current trend of wordless swipe and forget whenever a head gets on the shuttle
Be nice to each other.
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #508268

Mickyan wrote:A possible alternative I forgot to mention is to require all 3 IDs to be swiped within 5 seconds of each other, which wouldn't be much of an issue during a real emergency but would prevent the current trend of wordless swipe and forget whenever a head gets on the shuttle
You would have more assholes using 3 stolen IDs then. A better way would simply have early launch require a reason being typed in. This would give documentation for admins as well as context for other heads of staff.

If the reason listen for the initial swipe is "lol im bored" other heads of staff would probably be less likely to swipe along with it. And if you cant spend 5 seconds to type out a reason to swipe you have more pressing issues than early launching.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #508289

Dr_bee wrote:
Mickyan wrote:A possible alternative I forgot to mention is to require all 3 IDs to be swiped within 5 seconds of each other, which wouldn't be much of an issue during a real emergency but would prevent the current trend of wordless swipe and forget whenever a head gets on the shuttle
You would have more assholes using 3 stolen IDs then. A better way would simply have early launch require a reason being typed in. This would give documentation for admins as well as context for other heads of staff.

If the reason listen for the initial swipe is "lol im bored" other heads of staff would probably be less likely to swipe along with it. And if you cant spend 5 seconds to type out a reason to swipe you have more pressing issues than early launching.
Yeah, because I really want to mash out "BRUH" as fast as humanly possible when a tesloose is bearing down on the escape shuttle. I'm sure the admins will love parsing through the "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" shuttle logs as well.

Spoiler:
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #508293

re:admins handling misuse of emergency launch -- i also have issued punishments for players emergency launching with no notice to the crew or consideration for the situation.

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #508869

re: auto-note: the last I checked the emergency launch counter was a buggy piece of shit so it has a high risk of erroneously noting people
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Dr_bee

Post by Dr_bee » #508908

bandit wrote:re: auto-note: the last I checked the emergency launch counter was a buggy piece of shit so it has a high risk of erroneously noting people
It is more of a general idea of automatic data collection so admins could more easily track certain undesirable but hard to catch behaviors, such as roundstart suiciding and shuttle launching. I may make a thread of its own. I sadly wouldnt know where to start actually coding it.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #508967

the thing is, as an admin, automatic data collection tends to be spammy and/or unreliable, often both
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls