Should the Monkey gene be nerfed?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.

Should it?

Yes
47%
No
33%
Abstain
20%

Total votes: 15

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Should the Monkey gene be nerfed?

Post by PKPenguin321 » #507997

Hear me out. I was thinking about genetics design and this came up. The last time I added disabilities to genetics, I added some relatively harsh ones like acid flesh that outright cause you to shoot acid now and then. I decided to make their unlock difficulty pretty high, since I wanted to make it so that weaponizing the genes should take some effort.

Thinking back on it now, nobody uses the acid flesh gene. It isn't worth weaponizing; it acts much too slowly, and can be cured far too easily (either with mutadone or a gene machine). Then I got to thinking, what gene is worth weaponizing? Monkey is.

Monkey is probably the strongest negative gene in genetics if you plan on using it as a weapon. It will always be the first gene you unlock, it strips the victim of their belongings, it effectively works as a mute as it takes away their Galactic Common language, it makes them unable to perform most actions (like use computers to cure themselves), it makes them very weak (they can get knocked out for an extremely long time from a punch)... It basically does it all, and is the easiest gene to access out of any of them. It's so strong that it's the sole reason we can't have things like DNA injectors in syringe guns.

I think a reasonable nerf would be something like the gene being a two-parter: A monkey-to-human gene and a human-to-monkey gene, both of which are separate genes. Monkeys start with monkey-to-human, but human-to-monkey would have to be gated somehow and made a whole lot harder to unlock. To compensate and to make other genes worth using, we could add things like the aforementioned ability to put DNA injectors into syringe guns. Thoughts?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Re: Should the Monkey gene be nerfed?

Post by knacker48 » #507998

Maybe this is just me but the reason I never used negative genes as a traitor was because you couldn't really hide that you were doing it. If you try to inject someone with a DNA manipulator then they will see exactly which mutation you're injecting them with. If you want people to use the negative mutations you'd probably need some way to rename the injectors, either from the console or with a pen. If you did that then I could see myself maybe giving someone 'hulk' which is actually mute so they can't yell for help or clumsy so they can't shoot they're guns
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #508000

that's a 1 line change (add unique_rename to the injector)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #508008

I thought monkeys could talk Galactic Common now
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #508057

Genetics got fuck all worth doing for antagging, except maybe annoying some people with monkey for the whole minute until they get mutadoned. Taking that away doesnt make it any worse, go ahead.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #508069

you can use weapons/guns as monkey, crawl away in a vent and tell ai genetics dehumanized you.
tourettes is more dehabilitating as you ll get stunned, genetic deffects are a joke to cure and you ll get em only by bad cloning and rads you can do more damage by overdosing people with powers which has like 90% death 50% perma removal ( give people 2 expensive powers syringe then syringe them with third expensive power), still gene instability takes 2 min to take effect, it should be shorter tbh
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #508082

Monkeys can speak common on /tg/.

Genetics has almost nothing worth using as a traitor except for TK, X-ray and space adaptation. Maybe fire breath if you are a lizard.
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #508260

Genetics used to be a lot stronger in antag game but goon genetics completely ruined it as you cannot print full mutation set injectors any more, just one gene at a time. There's almost no point in having the vast majority of genetic defects any more except as filler and to annoy you during a rad storm / working near the engine without protection, since the harmful genes can no longer be used offensively in any real capacity.

I don't see a reason to nerf Monkey gene. It's relatively easy to cure, it's very loud to use, and doesn't actually harm the victim, it just disables a lot of what they can do. What they CAN do however is still attack you with anything they previously had on them.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #508315

Yakumo_Chen wrote:Genetics used to be a lot stronger in antag game but goon genetics completely ruined it as you cannot print full mutation set injectors any more, just one gene at a time. There's almost no point in having the vast majority of genetic defects any more except as filler and to annoy you during a rad storm / working near the engine without protection, since the harmful genes can no longer be used offensively in any real capacity.
Really good post. Somehow this had never even occurred to me. Maybe then a good way to fix genetics-centered sabotage would be to add a new menu to the DNA console that lets you build a custom SE injector. I would imagine it being limited to 5 genes or 99 instability, whichever you reach first. Could combine that with the ability to rename the injector and it could be pretty useful
Spoiler:
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #509395

I believe they also removed the ability to change your Unique Enzymes, which is pretty aggravating as now you can't change your DNA to someone else (useful in revs / traitors) or (very useful as non-antag in ling and wizard rounds) change your DNA back to your own, had you taken time to save it on a disk.

Are DNA disks even worth anything any more? Goon genetics kind of fucked up a lot of the classic uses of genetics.
TheMythicGhost
Byond Username: TheMythicGhost

Post by TheMythicGhost » #509400

Another issue with genetics in general is two-fold:

A) You can solve the entire gene pool in ~9-10 scans since each person's sequence/blocks for mutation aren't randomized like true Goongen.
B) If you've played on Goon before as a geneticist, you'd know our system is in no way like theirs, where theirs actually requires effort to go through and has a neat minigame to it that grows the more you do it.
Hi, I play Respii Varenos on Bagil.
everyone when referring to respii wrote:she
deedubya wrote:Posts you don't like aren't illegitimate. Points you don't agree with aren't disproven just because you post a disagreement. Points of view that can negatively affect you(a greyshirt main) aren't automatically negative as a whole.

The sooner you learn things like this, the sooner you can actually participate in fair and open discourse, instead of just screeching like a child when someone wants to take away the toys you use that have been abused constantly.
Timonk
Byond Username: Timonk

Post by Timonk » #509725

[quote="Yakumo_Chen"]I believe they also removed the ability to change your Unique Enzymes, which is pretty aggravating as now you can't change your DNA to someone else (useful in revs / traitors) or (very useful as non-antag in ling and wizard rounds) change your DNA back to your own, had you taken time to save it on a disk.
/quote]
There is still a tab for that but I forgot what it was called
joooks wrote:
Naloac wrote:
In short, this appeal is denied. Suck my nuts retard.
Quoting a legend, at least im not a faggot lol
See you in 12 months unless you blacklist me for this
Timberpoes wrote: I'm going to admin timonk [...]. Fuck it, he's also now my second host vote if goof rejects.
pikeyeskey13 wrote: ok don't forget to shove it up your ass lmao oops u can delete this one I just wanted to make sure it went through
Agux909 wrote:
Timonk wrote:This is why we make fun of Manuel
Woah bravo there sir, post of the month you saved the thread. I feel overwhelmed by the echo of unlimited wisdom and usefulness sprouting from you post. Every Manuel player now feels embarrased to exist because of your much NEEDED wise words, you sure teached'em all, you genius, IQ lord.

The hut has perished at my hands.

The pink arrow is always right.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #509726

TheMythicGhost wrote:Another issue with genetics in general is two-fold:

A) You can solve the entire gene pool in ~9-10 scans since each person's sequence/blocks for mutation aren't randomized like true Goongen.
What? Big disagree on this, I don't find this to be true at all
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #510052

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Genetics used to be a lot stronger in antag game but goon genetics completely ruined it as you cannot print full mutation set injectors any more, just one gene at a time. There's almost no point in having the vast majority of genetic defects any more except as filler and to annoy you during a rad storm / working near the engine without protection, since the harmful genes can no longer be used offensively in any real capacity.
Really good post. Somehow this had never even occurred to me. Maybe then a good way to fix genetics-centered sabotage would be to add a new menu to the DNA console that lets you build a custom SE injector. I would imagine it being limited to 5 genes or 99 instability, whichever you reach first. Could combine that with the ability to rename the injector and it could be pretty useful
I got a bounty PR up thanks to the feedback from this post, hopefully it will go through: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/46129
Spoiler: