How i can save game?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Horo_ww
Byond Username: Capitan_Holo

How i can save game?

Post by Horo_ww » #512175

I sometimes turn on my server. Can I make a backup of the round to turn off the server for a while and return to continue playing at the moment where I stopped? I sometimes turn on my server. Can I make a backup of the round to turn off the server for a while and return to continue playing at the moment where I stopped?
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Re: How i can save game?

Post by Cobby » #512192

Don't think this is possible on tg code (for now at least)
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #512207

By default, the world pauses if nobody is logged in. This means if you can leave DreamDaemon running then you can 'save' that way.

You could put your server machine in sleep mode instead of shutting it down, if that is the problem.

It would be very complicated to configure, but you could run DreamDaemon in a virtual machine and put the VM in sleep mode, allowing you to shut down your real machine.
Horo_ww

Post by Horo_ww » #512878

SpaceManiac wrote:By default, the world pauses if nobody is logged in. This means if you can leave DreamDaemon running then you can 'save' that way.

You could put your server machine in sleep mode instead of shutting it down, if that is the problem.

It would be very complicated to configure, but you could run DreamDaemon in a virtual machine and put the VM in sleep mode, allowing you to shut down your real machine.
I have problems with random power outages and sleep mode will not help
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #512934

Horo_ww wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:By default, the world pauses if nobody is logged in. This means if you can leave DreamDaemon running then you can 'save' that way.

There's an admin verb to toggle random events on/off, which you might find helpful to set to Off before logging out
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #512944

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Horo_ww wrote:

There's an admin verb to toggle random events on/off, which you might find helpful to set to Off before logging out
I think he means real life power outages. Wasn't there a "persistent" station a while back that like exported the server as a map each round?
Sandshark808
Byond Username: Sandshark808

Post by Sandshark808 » #512949

Not only "was there" a persistent station, but they recently moved to a new codebase and a special map and it's run really well. It's pretty interesting, though it's based mainly on Baycode so IDK how much of what they do could be applied to /tg/.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #512964

You might want to fiddle with your sleep mode settings, it's possible to set it up so sleep mode survives power outages (hybrid sleep/hibernate or just straight hibernate).
Horo_ww

Post by Horo_ww » #513175

SpaceManiac wrote:You might want to fiddle with your sleep mode settings, it's possible to set it up so sleep mode survives power outages (hybrid sleep/hibernate or just straight hibernate).
Perhaps hibernation is what I need
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #517140

Horo_ww wrote:
SpaceManiac wrote:You might want to fiddle with your sleep mode settings, it's possible to set it up so sleep mode survives power outages (hybrid sleep/hibernate or just straight hibernate).
Perhaps hibernation is what I need
Your best bet is probably just buying a power strip with a backup battery pack, so it'll survive a blackout just long enough for you to sleep mode the VM manually then shut down the machine. Plus they're just good to have in general.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.