Minor Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Minor Feedback

Post by Ikarrus » #55759

Bite-sized feedback that isn't worth a whole new thread for.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Ikarrus

Re: Minor Feedback

Post by Ikarrus » #55760

I'll start: Catwalks look too similar to windows. I'd recommend giving them another pattern or using a different color for the metal.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #55762

They do use a different color than metal already.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #55764

Not enough to make it stand out from windows, unfortunately.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #56355

Microwaves breaking should give more feedback on how to fix them and probably be easier to fix overall. I see a lot of chefs just not using broken ones, and if both break chefs will just become drunken wrecks and suicide.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #57207

I'm enjoying the new security gunlight. Pity it seems to be a little bugged at the moment, but it's a great idea and it really makes tasers and seclites better.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #57261

I liked the old seclight sprite but being able to attach it to your gun is pretty rad even though I'm pretty sure pap only did this so I would stop wearing my baton on my armor.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #57279

Don't do that
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
WeeYakk

Post by WeeYakk » #57305

Well it frees up my pocket space that I used to have my flashlight in. Are you mad, do you get angry at me carrying my flashlight in my pockets?

E: Writing used to give you a nice big area where you could format stuff more easily and whatnot, now it's like this 1 line deal and it makes everything a pain in the butt.

What's the deal with that?
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #59606

I feel that rather a lot of features are getting nixed for the sake of change - several things I've grown fond of in my time here. The "It's bugged/unbalanced? Just remove it" mindset I've seen in some instances is, frankly, alarming.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #59609

They're features that likely should have never been added / would never have been added under the current code standards and codebase administration

That's all there is to say really, just cleaning house of a bunch of garbage

People are usually fond of garbage, yes, like telesci, because you can teleport places! ..if you ignore the terrible balance around the math that requires an external program for most players, grief potential, etc
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #59812

telesci is a bad example because its real flaw is not having any actual content. but i dont feel like shit should be removed because it "doesnt fit the new standards or administration" or what have you, unless its a glaring issue with no easy fix (ninjas lol)
harmless things that are being removed, like a bunch of cosmetic items, donk pockets, etc, dont really make sense to me. if things that have been acceptable for a long time without question suddenly get removed for no good reason and make a lot of people mad, i think thats an issue with the standards/administration, not the thing being removed. donk pockets in particular could have taken less than a minute to actually fix, but were removed instead. look how much of a shitstorm that caused.
theres several contributors making refactors and fixing bugs without actually removing anything. (menshin, psykzz, perakp, and phil235 are notable) if there's an issue, it should probably be redirected to them to work on, not be removed and cause a huge backlash. that's just simple common sense and PR management.
it's pretty apparent that players get mad for some really simple reasons. but it seems like the trend is to just throw fuel on the fire instead of trying to bridge the gap between players and coders. other servers, like /vg/, dont really have this problem afaik. it would probably be smart to follow their example.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #59881

other servers, like /vg/, don't care about line count, code quality, or not cluttering up their codebase with useless features

we have like 3/4 of the line count that /vg/ does, and they have much more than bay by a pretty large margin last i checked

why shove and shove and shove bad features in over and over instead of removing the old to pave the way for the good? it sounds like feature-hording almost. "well, i wasn't going to use that feature and agree it's bad, BUT YOU STILL SHOULDN'T REMOVE IT!"

more features =/= good

our server is unlisted and we have a fucking huge pop count on sybil, much larger than /vg/ on average, only really beaten by 'the darkrp of ss13' paradise station

the people who play on /tg/ tend to value stability and functional features over an overload of 500+ line features that are rarely used. if you don't like this, maybe /tg/ just isn't for you?
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #59932

WeeYakk wrote:Well it frees up my pocket space that I used to have my flashlight in. Are you mad, do you get angry at me carrying my flashlight in my pockets?

E: Writing used to give you a nice big area where you could format stuff more easily and whatnot, now it's like this 1 line deal and it makes everything a pain in the butt.

Looks like something broken by a BYOND update or something.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #60223

Having the (EDIT: Mining Cyborg) Diamond Mining Drill require the Illegal Tech module to obtain is pointless, considering the fact that by the time you get said module, you've already essentially completed mining anyway. Is it locked behind the Illegal Tech firmware because it can drill through walls? Because if I could start with that drill, and never have the drilling-through-walls capability, I'd be happier.
Last edited by AnonymousNow on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #60241

AnonymousNow wrote:Having the Diamond Mining Drill require the Illegal Tech module to obtain is pointless, considering the fact that by the time you get said module, you've already essentially completed mining anyway. Is it locked behind the Illegal Tech firmware because it can drill through walls? Because if I could start with that drill, and never have the drilling-through-walls capability, I'd be happier.
wait, it does? Because Plasma cutters cut through even Rwalls, and only require engineering and plasma research, not materials 6. Between the medical nerf, air tanks not fitting on hardsuits and gating off diamond drill, I get the impression either coderbus really hates mining, or just doesn't remember it exists.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #60264

Plasma cutters only cut regular walls, I believe.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #60268

Snakebutt wrote:
AnonymousNow wrote:Having the Diamond Mining Drill require the Illegal Tech module to obtain is pointless, considering the fact that by the time you get said module, you've already essentially completed mining anyway. Is it locked behind the Illegal Tech firmware because it can drill through walls? Because if I could start with that drill, and never have the drilling-through-walls capability, I'd be happier.
wait, it does? Because Plasma cutters cut through even Rwalls, and only require engineering and plasma research, not materials 6. Between the medical nerf, air tanks not fitting on hardsuits and gating off diamond drill, I get the impression either coderbus really hates mining, or just doesn't remember it exists.
Just to clarify - this is for mining cyborgs, hence the module talk. They're currently limited to a Sonic Jackhammer, unless they get the module. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #60313

Ah, miningborg? My complaint is that they simply do not have enough modules to mine. One module for your drill. One module for mesons. One module for scanner. Oh wait, no light, it's dark and you were eaten by a grue. One drill, one light, one scanner, no meson to make the scanner usable. Want to pick up minerals? There goes another module. They have to be swapping modules alldayerryday, constantly switching their flashlight and scanner on after they reequip it, it's a mess. Adding a flashlight to them like a hardsuit helmet at no module cost would be the very least they need to be less irritating to play as.

Or just give them the tator thermalmesons by default, removing their need for light altogether. They're robots, why wouldn't they have thermal vision?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #60352

Violaceus wrote:^this

Being mining cyborg now sucks so hard that it is basically unplayable.
But baaalaaaance
Borgs having old mesons were TOO BROKEN for the months it worked unnoticed because they were viable and nobody complained.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #60366

Then give their vision mode (sec, medhud thing) an option for mesons, and make them have at least a flashlight, if not a scanner without using a module. Mining is already a pain in the ass job that needs more inventory than a player has, borgs are crippled in this regard.

On a related note, bring back suit tanks. Not because I'm babbymode who can't into filling an e-canister, but because mining has to sacrifice even more valuable space to the VITAL need for air. As is, bare minimum loadout for mining is satchel+scanner in each pocket, pick/drill on belt, tank in one hand, backpack with useless medkits and a toolbelt if you're lucky, lantern on suit.

This gives you one hand to drill with, then put the drill away, grab satchel, pick up minerals, dump minerals, walk, put satchel back, grab scanner, ping scanner, put scanner away, drill again. Get hit by goliath? Fuck you, you're suffocating now. Get hit by goliath in really close range? Fuck you, you die because you can't get your tank back.

Your other option is to put the tank on your back, sacrificing your backpack. This limits you to belt(lantern/drill), pockets(satchel/scanner), suit(lantern) and hand slots to carry thing, but lets you use both hands. And honestly, if I have to choose between having a backpack, or having both hands, something has gone horribly, horribly fucking wrong. I'm 99% certain the game was balanced on the assumption that spessmen have a backpack and two usable hands in any situation.

So please, PLEASE let us put tanks back into suit slots. Even if it's only for mining, and means that more mining suits get stolen because >meta, make the job less shit because a lot of recent updates have been shitting all over the job.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #60367

Malf AI is hilariously OP, especially on 30-player rounds, you guys should stop buffing it and instead make it less about how hard the crew metas and have it scale to population.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
WeeYakk

Post by WeeYakk » #60381

Miauw wrote:
WeeYakk wrote:Well it frees up my pocket space that I used to have my flashlight in. Are you mad, do you get angry at me carrying my flashlight in my pockets?

Looks like something broken by a BYOND update or something.
So it's a bug? Should I make an issue report?????
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #60481

Could we adjust what shuttle ramming does, please? At the moment it appears to be instant death, but ideally it'd just do moderate damage and send you FLYING AS FAST AS POSSIBLE IN SOME DIRECTION.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #60661

....Shuttle ramming?
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #60664

Cipher3 wrote:....Shuttle ramming?
When someone is standing ontop of the area a ship lands.
WeeYakk

Post by WeeYakk » #60707

Artificers and wraiths need to have their ability to break down walls taken away. There is zero reason to be a juggernaut currently.
miggles

Post by miggles » #60720

jugs just need to be even tankier imo
WeeYakk

Post by WeeYakk » #61155

A bunch of players don't know the hotkey for how to vent crawl as an alium or monkey. Maybe it should pop up in big letters telling you how when you get transformed or have the vent crawl key be something more obvious.

Watched like 6 larva die from not knowing how to ventcrawl today. :(
miggles

Post by miggles » #61304

they really should have just kept the verb
idc about coding reasons, having a specific hotkey for such an important action isnt intuitive for anyone who doesnt already know it
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #61808

WeeYakk wrote:A bunch of players don't know the hotkey for how to vent crawl as an alium or monkey. Maybe it should pop up in big letters telling you how when you get transformed or have the vent crawl key be something more obvious.

Watched like 6 larva die from not knowing how to ventcrawl today. :(
Literally every time you become a mob with ventcrawl you get a section of text in your chat that tells you you can ventcrawl, and how to do so.
and this isn't just spawning as said mob, this is everytime you log in to that mob, get transformed into it, admin possess, etc.
私は完璧
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #62495

When were droppers removed from the medivends, and when can we get them back? This particularly fucks over botanists.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #62853

Why was the ability to use soulstones removed from non-cultists again?

"Are you a cultist?"
"No. I found the soul shard in the mine."
"Then use it on that body."

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #63079

Shuttlebanging is griff.

Remove shuttlebanging.

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63210

what the fuck is shuttle banging?
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #63211

It sounds like ERP, but that can't be. ERP isn't griff.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #63215

>You will never have a qt3.14 shuttle gf
>The station will never understand your love
>tfw you get griffbanned for being shuttlesexual
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
WeeYakk

Post by WeeYakk » #63285

The experimentor guide book has a picture of megaman on it and I'm mailing capcom right now so they can sue us.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #63307

a lone jugg isn't great sure, but when you reach critical mass (try 3+ juggs coming down a corridor), it's pretty terrifying, as it's next to impossible to shoot the fuckers enough to take them out, unless you're packing the whole armory.

Aesir salad is made from golden apples and Deus, yet has no space drugs in it, no gold (afaik). It's just nutriment and tricord or some shit.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #63358

AnonymousNow wrote:Why was the ability to use soulstones removed from non-cultists again?

"Are you a cultist?"
"No. I found the soul shard in the mine."
"Then use it on that body."
Nar-Nar's and Wizard's evil cult and magical powers allows them to imbue shards that they summon with the ability to take souls. Why should Average Joe be able to do the same thing? Only exception is during non-cult/wizard rounds.
AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #63516

Wyzack wrote:what the fuck is shuttle banging?
DemonFiren wrote:It sounds like ERP, but that can't be. ERP isn't griff.
It's when security decides to slap everybody in the escape shuttle with their big, flashing, banging cocks, because it annoys/upsets people, because they can get away with it for some reason ("I'M JUST KEEPING THE SHUTTLE OUT OF CONTROL, THAT GUY BEING PULLED PRONE OUT OF THE AIRLOCK BY AIR PRESSURE WASN'T MY FAULT"), and because they can.

EDIT: Can somebody fix hoods removing facial hair, please?

Spoiler:

Xenomorphs a shit.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #76930

not sure how minor this feedback is but a preference option for muting violins/pianos would be a godsend
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #76969

PKPenguin321 wrote:not sure how minor this feedback is but a preference option for muting violins/pianos would be a godsend
You know what, fuck it, I can do that.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #77082

PKPenguin321 wrote:not sure how minor this feedback is but a preference option for muting violins/pianos would be a godsend
Reminder that admins have said that people strangling the cat are valid for you beat up
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #77963

Security berets (including the Warden's and Head of Security's, and the ones from Security uniform crates) should have seclite and camera slots, like helmets do. They don't have to start with cameras attached; an officer can always take the one off their starting helmet to attach to the infinitely more fashionable beret.

http://prntscr.com/6l8lng

E: Taste[less/ful] Security baseball caps as well.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #78030

TheNightingale wrote:Security berets (including the Warden's and Head of Security's, and the ones from Security uniform crates) should have seclite and camera slots, like helmets do. They don't have to start with cameras attached; an officer can always take the one off their starting helmet to attach to the infinitely more fashionable beret.

http://prntscr.com/6l8lng

E: Taste[less/ful] Security baseball caps as well.
I am considering this. Someone dredge up Steelpoint and have him help me with this. It was his PR originally, I just looted it after he raged and closed it.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #78058

Doesn't that seem a bit dumb? I love the berets to death, but it is a mostly cloth garment. A beret with a flashlight or camera attached to it would look extra strength retarded.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
TheNightingale
Byond Username: TheNightingale

Post by TheNightingale » #78066

They're micronanopicocameras inside the security badge on the front. Like a true officer, you mount your seclite behind your ear, á la Bay.

(They don't have to have sprites, but helmets, berets and caps should have the same level of functionality: they're personal preference which to use.)
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #78236

But that is what i really don't like. I was against even giving berets the same armor as helmets. It used to be that if you were conscious about looking cool as sec you would wear the beret. It gave no advantages other than making you look like a robust dude who don't need no head protection. Then if shit got real you could swap it out for the helmet to kick some ass. It seems dumb that a friggin beret should have all the functionality of a helmet that covers your eyes and sides of your head. The whole Berets=Helmets thing seems like it only benefits sec officers who want to pull dat powergame all the time, but also want to look casual. This seems silly to me.
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #78238

Dat. Excepting Warden and HoS berets, obvs, because fuck the police (hat).
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler: