How do we extend average round time?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Calomel
Byond Username: Ryumeme

Re: How do we extend average round time?

Post by Calomel » #525265

Bottom post of the previous page:

PKPenguin321 wrote:yeah that was the goal a year or two ago and we've basically hit it, sure there are occasionally half hour wizard or rev rounds but cmon we need those sometimes
I'd tend to agree, variety si the spice of life. Even a murderboning round is interesting once in a while. The important thing is to strike the right balance.
"Purging chemicals at incredibly hihg speeds."
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #526487

I've been saying for a long time that the shuttle is the primary antagonist of every round. It stifles creativity, because there's no point in trying to make a cool project if it's going to be wiped away a minute after finishing it (assuming you're going at full pace without interruptions), and it looms heavily. An increase to roughly an hour of average gametime would improve the experience overall, I think.

I have some suggestions:

- Remove the AI's ability to call the shuttle. The main issue with shuttle calling is that it's so damn easy to do in the vast, vast majority of instances, because most of the crew (humans) can just demand that the AI call the shuttle, and it HAS to do so if it's Asimov. In addition, it's reasonable for an AI to call the shuttle if something goes slightly wrong, because Asimov law 1 dictates that it should try to prevent harm, which removing people from the arguably dangerous station does.
- Increase the recall timer from half to something like 66%-75%. Another response to the ease of calling shuttles, in that recalling them is comparatively much more difficult. The pre-eminent shuttle caller role cannot recall it at all once it's done, only people with access can - and they're frequently too busy to care or notice until it's too late.
- Hard-increase the shuttle fuelling time to about 30 minutes. Making it so that the shuttle just can't be called normally before the 30 minute mark is a bit of a nuclear option, but would prove to be effective. However, I've got some alternative ideas to this.
- Make antagweight in the following round higher depending on the length of the current one. With some diminishing returns, calling the shuttle later will result in more, bigger and/or better antagonists being spawned in the next round, which will encourage people who'll want to go for said antag roles. That said, you're not any more likely to get any one role that becomes available just by participating - it's standard picking, so you'll be in the pool for (insert big antag here), or be more likely to get antag status as several (insert small to medium antags here) will spawn instead.
- Ramp up midround antag spawning during the shuttle call timer if said call happens past a certain time. For example, if the shuttle is called a little before or after the hour mark, smaller antags like swarmers, pirates, lone ops or even wizards have a chance to spawn more often during said timer.
- Encourage "Central Command" to recall shuttles and possibly bop the caller if the reason given is shitty. We have a "reason for calling shuttle" field for a reason - it's so when that reason is "i want to go home" or "honk", centcom can shut them down and tell them to post a better reason. I've so rarely seen this being enforced, and it really needs to be. It's usually not even a case of there not being a legit reason, it's just people seeing the problem and putting irrelevant keyboard slappings in the textbox.
- Add/improve independent station victory conditions, and make shift times a part of said victory conditions. I suggested a while back that there could be minor and major victories during, say, revolutions for marooning your opponents alive (which is harder) instead of killing them; you could have it so that one of the crew's conditions is to survive X amount of time without calling the shuttle, where X is based on the overall number of people in the crew. This is in addition to station building objectives, which could in turn be improved by adding more beeg things to build. Build [a working engine type your station doesn't start with], for example. Unironically, give them some greentext for having a good round and a better station.
- Even better, give some station-sided individuals objectives that help the station with the possibility of greentext. Part of antagrolling is, as someone mentioned earlier, "winning the lottery" - if you've got a station-sided objective, that'll help. Maybe you believe you're the hero. Maybe you know there's traitors onboard somewhere, but can't reveal it for fear of people thinking YOU'RE a syndie. They don't have to come up often, but a little change like this could be gold dust for encouraging people.
- Ruin saving. This one is big, but it's potentially a gamechanger. Imagine a system where you could build something freefloating in space, designate the area of your new spacebar or whatever with a blueprint, and then apply to centcom (current admin) directly to have that room be saved. It can be quickly reviewed by an aghost, approved or denied, and then in the former case, saved to possibly appear freefloating in space or sometimes even crashed into Lavaland. Has some restrictions and will require a touch of curation every so often, but imagine the possibilities - and most relevantly, imagine how people will respond with roundtimes.
- Give antagonists specific means of delaying shuttles. Already done with cultists to good effect, having a traitor item that costs a few telecrystals and delays the shuttle by scrambling its navigation protocols would be cool. Yes, in theory every traitor could pool their crystals and delay the shuttle for nearly an hour, but frankly, if they're sacrificing their crystals to do that, that's hilarious, and they've probably got something planned. Or you could put a hardcap on the amount of time it can delay things, if you need to. You could even change the mechanics, so that traitors could, perhaps, instead get a powersink-like beacon that pauses the shuttle timer by sucking the juice out of the power grid (not enough to get sink levels, maybe a local brownout at most), but can be fairly easily found with some standard searching.
- Disincentivise calling the shuttle because of the mere existence of antagonists. This is a no-brainer - if you don't want to be antagonised, play a game without antagonists, don't join this one and call the shuttle at the first sign of danger. The note about centcom slapping down stupid calls applies here. In addition, you could improve the incentive to conquer certain "round-ending" antagonists - xenomorphs could drop more interesting bodyparts, or possibly even random ones, that are prime for research or implanting usage, swarmers get their swarm-mother-beacon thing boss back which can be fought for goodies, and if a station survives a meteor shower, then those meteors are likely to drop more and more interesting materials and perhaps even unique objects based on the length and intensity of the storm. We don't have rounds where people pick their way through broken stations anymore, struggling to survive against the odds - those stories are dead, but they don't need to be.
- If an antagonist is sufficiently loud, and their presence would prevent the shuttle from leaving, have the shuttle not even be callable under standard circumstances. Confirmed level 5? Can't call the shuttle. Prevent metagaming from this by having false alarms disable shuttle calls for two to six minutes. Give headrevs the option to go loud - in doing so, they gain a small buff of some description and the shuttle can't be called as a side note.
- Paint random shuttle calls as enemy action. This is a fluff thing, but as in the major/minor crew victory suggestion, fluff can be a surprisingly powerful motivator. In this instance, having random shuttle calls could be set up by a little in-universe law tweaking as highly suspicious, since "Syndicate agents are known to ilicit emergency shuttle calls in order to hijack them".
- Change Extended, or add a new mode, Extended-Dynamic. Extended discourages a certain kind of person because it doesn't have antagonists off the bat - having Extended-Dynamic instead would change that. Extended-Dynamic is an idea I've been suggesting for years in some form or another, wherein antags aren't rolled until 20 to 30 minutes or so into the round, allowing for a much, much different dynamic than regular rounds while encouraging people to stick around during "green shifts".
- Encourage admin button pushing during extended, particularly buttons that bring in as many people as possible to an event. This discourages suicides during "green shifts".
- Give crew an in-game excuse and avenue to stop playing if they don't want to continue without ending the round. This is mostly psychological, but some people will, even if they've not done anything in the round, deliberately try to end the round with the shuttle because they're bored and want to leave entirely. It's nonsensical, but it exists - so giving people an option to, say, clock out at a personal "end my round" teleporter would be cool. For normal folks, that frees up slots on the manifest. For syndie agents, their objectives could be completed (assuming they're not hijack objectives, but that doesn't change much), and they'll show up with greentext when the round ends proper. You could even set it so that people can remove themselves this way, and if the round is still happening half an hour later, they can join as a randomname with new memories, if you were inclined. Imagine rolling syndie, achieving your objectives, clocking out, getting some dinner, coming back, joining the round as a fresh person, and eventually getting midround antag. Rare, but isn't that a captivating image?
- Tell the players that calling the shuttle won't suddenly cause a massive rush of people to appear. This seems obvious, but time and time again (on Terry, in particular) I've seen people absolutely boggled at the idea and reality of them ending a round full of things happening and ghostroles made, and then going into the next round and seeing just as many people turn up, not the multitudes of spontaneous people they were expecting. People in bed are not going to just suddenly not be in bed because you called the shuttle.
- Give every roundtype an epilogue. This one's a little strange, but bear with me - when cultists summon Nar-Sie, they have a few minutes to dick around and bring remaining humans to her as Harvesters. Make an equivalent for all roundtypes, it doesn't matter what. If revs win, Centcom could decide to send simplemob death commandos by the dozen from arrivals. Same with blob. If heads win in a rev round, the syndicate has a choice to send an army of simplemob syndie interns instead. With the wizard dead, their magic spews wildly over the station. When the station gets nuked, do what the flavourtext says happens - the captain appears, alive, on centcom in front of three ghostrole interrogators for two minutes before probable summary execution. It's two minutes, but it encourages people to draw out a little more interest and flavour from the round, especially if it's an optional button push by an admin, and all of it adds to the worldbuilding aspect like Nar-Sie's "snuff out the light" animation does.
- Make roundtypes mulligan on a wooly bit of logic if the station wins in a surviving manner early enough (that includes revs). Now the station's survived something, they've got different equipment and some damage, and some people have been given a different antag status. Go hog wild.
- Make an achievement for playing a round for five hours without disconnecting. This one is wild, and could manifest in many ways, including making tension between the occasional "just four more hours" nutter and the crew in general, or "guys it's been an 4 hours and 40 minutes, let's leave :^)" memer and the rest of the crew. Obviously this won't be relevant in most cases, but neither is "win a pulse rifle from the arcade machine", so why not?

Though many of these suggestions are mutually exclusive, all of them are considered for a configuration in which there's always plentiful stuff to do, ghostroles can be freely gained for people to drop into games as golems or cyborgs, etc., and projects that won't necessarily be done in 45 minutes flat can be approached without getting only a minute's worth of enjoyment from them. Roughly an hour is a good place to go for, I think. Of course, they should be taken with a grain of salt, but still.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #526518

Removing AI shuttle calls is pretty much a no-brainer for this goal.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Tarchonvaagh
Byond Username: Tarchonvaagh

Post by Tarchonvaagh » #527429

These are actually good ideas, can't wait to see em in the game
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #527541

just had a seven minute rev round or maybe it was dynamic i don't know the difference. i was trying to learn plumbing
if it's less than 40 minutes in and there's more people alive than dead don't end the round. spawn more antags. this applies to wizard too
no one likes starting a job only to lose progress ten minutes in
don't hinge the entire round on the robustness of one or only a few antags
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #527717

Hypothetical Situation wrote:Crewmemer: HELP AI THERE ARE SPIDERS EVERYWHERE THE BRIDGE EXPLODED AND THE ENGINE IS DELAMMING CALL THE SHUTTLE

Doorknob: Iol nope, some dude thought hour-long rounds were too short so we're goin' down with the ship boyo
► Show Spoiler
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #527725

Farquaar wrote:
Hypothetical Situation wrote:Crewmemer: HELP AI THERE ARE SPIDERS EVERYWHERE THE BRIDGE EXPLODED AND THE ENGINE IS DELAMMING CALL THE SHUTTLE

Doorknob: Iol nope, some dude thought hour-long rounds were too short so we're goin' down with the ship boyo
you could make the same post but from the perspective of "AI THE HALLS ARE MESSY AND THERE'S A ONE TILE BREACH FROM SOMEONE SPAMMING IEDS AND I DIDN'T ROLL ANTAG CALL IT CALL IT CALL IT"
Limey wrote:its too late.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #527730

As of now, one is still allowed to recall frivolous shuttle requests.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #527743

Farquaar wrote:
you should try dealing with the problems before calling it unless there's too few people alive for it to be practical or it's an unusually long round
disasters are fun to try to survive through

i came here to say change revolution so that it starts with three revheads again. revheads (and the wizard) dying early happens too often.
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #527819

- Remove the AI's ability to call the shuttle.
- Increase the recall timer from half to something like 66%-75%.
- Hard-increase the shuttle fuelling time to about 30 minutes.

I'd be interested in trying

- Make antagweight in the following round higher depending on the length of the current one.
This seems like it will just lead to one long round followed by a short one, we should instead reward long rounds by injecting cooler mid round antags

- Ramp up midround antag spawning during the shuttle call timer if said call happens past a certain time.
Not a bad idea I guess
- Add/improve independent station victory conditions, and make shift times a part of said victory conditions.
- Even better, give some station-sided individuals objectives that help the station with the possibility of greentext.
I've wanted more of these but nobody ever codes them
- Ruin saving.
Map loading works, but map saving has not been touched in a very long time

- Change Extended, or add a new mode, Extended-Dynamic.
Dynamic occasionally introducing no antags in the first 10-20 minutes would be an interesting tweak

- Give crew an in-game excuse and avenue to stop playing if they don't want to continue without ending the round.
We should add sleepers in the dorms that allow a ghost to take you over, otherwise you can suicide or ghost (perhaps allow takeover of ghosted players?)

- Make roundtypes mulligan on a wooly bit of logic if the station wins in a surviving manner early enough (that includes revs).
not sure I follow this
- Make an achievement for playing a round for five hours without disconnecting.
This is easy to do
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #527825

- Remove the AI's ability to call the shuttle.
Yes please, or make it double the fuel timer(eg. crew can call at 20, AI has to wait until 40)
- Increase the recall timer from half to something like 66%-75%.
- Hard-increase the shuttle fuelling time to about 30 minutes.
please god no
- Make antagweight in the following round higher depending on the length of the current one.
This seems like it will just lead to one long round followed by a short one, we should instead reward long rounds by injecting cooler mid round antags
100% agreed. I proposed something for this a while back, that would organically lead to rounds that have gone on too long to end faster: Double the rate at which midrounds spawn every half an hour. 100% at 0:00, 200% at 0:30, 400% at 1:00, etc. Gets more ghosts back in the round, and leads to more naturally caused mayhem that can end the round, instead of relying on adminbussing or "I'm bored let's go home" calls to kill a 2 hour round.
- Ramp up midround antag spawning during the shuttle call timer if said call happens past a certain time.
Not a bad idea I guess
read above
- Add/improve independent station victory conditions, and make shift times a part of said victory conditions.
- Even better, give some station-sided individuals objectives that help the station with the possibility of greentext.
I've wanted more of these but nobody ever codes them
>has the ability and knowledge to code
>wants a feature
>has control of the codebase to boot
WYCI, bruh.

- Change Extended, or add a new mode, Extended-Dynamic.
Dynamic occasionally introducing no antags in the first 10-20 minutes would be an interesting tweak
Extended dynamic with this concept actually seems really cool. It would actually be a greenshift for the first bit, and then antags would get generated from the existing populace, rather than relying on ghosts for midrounds.

- Give crew an in-game excuse and avenue to stop playing if they don't want to continue without ending the round.
We should add sleepers in the dorms that allow a ghost to take you over, otherwise you can suicide or ghost (perhaps allow takeover of ghosted players?)
Other servers have cryosleep as a solution to this. It permanently takes the player out of the round, and I believe also removes the job from the manifest, so it can be re-selected by a midround joiner. I believe citcode is the most prominent user of this, it might be worth looking into to port the feature.
- Make roundtypes mulligan on a wooly bit of logic if the station wins in a surviving manner early enough (that includes revs).
not sure I follow this
I think I get the intent. Basically, if you valid the wizard or the revs win/lose in the first few minutes, the round mulligans instead of ends outright. This isn't a bad idea. That being said, I think a dead wizard should mulligan the round regardless of how long the wizard has been around. Blitz unrobust wiznerd rounds are no fun for anyone involved.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #527911

In my humble opinion the best way to make average rounds longer is to have a dedicated server for longer rounds, where shuttle doesn't come within first 60 minutes and has respawns enabled.

The real question is but why? Why would you want to extend the average round time? The game plays best in 30-60 minute bursts. During these bursts there is enough content to explore and enough mystery to be solved as well as enough RP that can be done. With the removal of Dynamic the gameplay becomes even more linear - once you know there is a cult you can ignore most other threats etc. 90-180 minute rounds means that the game is just being stretched out for the sole reason of "making it longer", even though there is nothing to do and the "late game" content is either non-existent or "pretty lame" - everybody having xray, hulk, particle accelerators etc.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528012

the reason why is because not everyone plays the game the way you do
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #528052

can somebody clarify how long we want it? i really thought we were about good, averaging about an hour per round. that was the goal back when we averaged like 20 minutes and we've hit it, and you want it even longer now, so how long?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #528076

oranges wrote:the reason why is because not everyone plays the game the way you do
You're right. Most people here are grown ass adults with not as much free time as they used to have. Shorter rounds = more chances to actually fit in a few rounds of spessmen = more opportunities for different experiences per round = more chances to roll for antag.

Although as I mentioned above, forcing longer rounds unnaturally is not the answer if you want longer round times. More jobs need more and longer lasting content. Even the most autistic of the jobs, being botany/xenobio/atmos tend to be functionally "complete" in around an hour. Other jobs don't even come close, and many are simply reactionary. Decreasing the lethality and destructive capability of traitors would also increase round times naturally by virtue of just always having a more capable station able to continue operating normally.

That being said, I still don't see any point in bringing the average up from what we currently seem to have (1h). What's your goal for the average round? What reason do you have for wanting to see that goal? Why is it a good thing for the majority of the populace to further increase round times? I know you're used to being unaccountable because the codebus is basically untouchable, but making the game into a 3 hour long snoozefest has much larger ramifications than any major rework you guys have pushed out in the history of the game, and definitely needs justification.

Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #528103

My understanding is we want to extend the minimum time, which in turn would increase the average time. That is why increasing the shuttle timer and removing AI shuttle calls both seem reasonable options.

Extending it much past an hour at this point in time would require some crew content first.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #528109

Artificially extending the minimum time isn't a good answer, not without putting limits on the capabilities of antags through either code or policy. How does having to wait 10 extra minutes for the shuttle to be called add anything aside from further frustration to a murderboner wizard round where they've killed most of the station 15 minutes in? Just leads to more deadchat salt, more people whining "orang men badd", and nothing added to the game but unnecessary frustration.

I get that people want to do certain aspects of their jobs that may require longer round times, but a fundamental part of this game is that rounds typically don't go according to your ideal vision of them. Sometimes half the station explodes early on and the shuttle gets called 20 minutes in on red alert. Them's the breaks. It's disheartening, but it also keeps players coming back - maybe they'll get to try again next round!

Spoiler:
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #528144

Maybe antags wouldnt have to jump head first into a murderbone if the shuttle wasnt called so early? Maybe engineers would actually have some job content if we didnt just immediately call shuttle over SM faliure or a single bomb? A lot of the crew content that currently exists is based around fixing and rebuilding, but instead players get to choose the easy way out by resetting the round early. Shuttle calling is a shit mechanic, and I wish I had a good idea for something to replace it.

I think we can also all agree that good antag gimmicks are preferable to murderbones, but if you cannot rely on getting enough round time to prepare literally anything then people arent going to do them. If your preferred server has longer rounds, great. That means it wont be greatly affected by the proposed changes.
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #528150

skoglol wrote:I think we can also all agree that good antag gimmicks are preferable to murderbones, but if you cannot rely on getting enough round time to prepare literally anything then people arent going to do them.
It all boils down "gitting gut". 60 minutes is more than enough to accomplish most of the gimmicks. A newfriend might need 120 minutes to set up a thing that an experienced player can do in 10 minutes.
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #528173

60 minute rounds are okay, 30 minute ones over stubbed toes and law 2 shuttle calls are not.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #528214

For the record, I agree that 30 minute stubbed toe calls are horseshit as well. But admins can and do punish people for frivolous shuttle calls. Not every 20 minute call is because people are lazy, though. Quite often, the station is being sabotaged at a rate that can't be kept up with. An engine room explosion is often enough to warrant a call on its own, especially after the nuking of the engineering budget. The nerfs to medbay mean it's harder for medbay staff to keep up with the flow of bodies during a muderbone. The greyshit culture means there's never enough security to contain a robust boner. Toxins can rush maxcaps in 5-10 minutes, and have 6 massive holes in the station before the shuttle can even be called. There's plenty of reasons that an early call can be warranted. The response of "oh just fix it you lazy bums" isn't always a solution. Different circumstances warrant different responses.

tl;dr increasing refuel time to 30 would do nothing but add aggravation given the current state of the game and playerbase.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528273

I've already stated it's 60 to 90 minutes
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #528331

deedubya wrote:An engine room explosion is often enough to warrant a call on its own
SM delam shuttle call should give you ckey linked permanent brain damage.

You might disagree, but actually making people fix shit instead of resetting the round is something I want to see happen. You dont NEED the SM. You dont NEED robotics. And if you think you do, go rebuild it. Take the challenge for once.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #528352

A good alternative could be cargo ordering PAC gens in bulk.

Can cargo order that?
► Show Spoiler
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #528359

They can be built in the engi techfab and the circuit imprinter. There are lots of options, just noone ever needs to explore them.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #528363

I agree with what you're saying in theory skoglol but you're ignoring how tedious, finicky and boring large scale construction actually is (which it wouldn't be if a lot of people were working on it, but that rarely if ever happens)
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528393

cacogen wrote:I agree with what you're saying in theory skoglol but you're ignoring how tedious, finicky and boring large scale construction actually is (which it wouldn't be if a lot of people were working on it, but that rarely if ever happens)
this is definitely true, the whole slap things together in your hands crafting method is what causes this to fall down, i'm of the view we need to radically simplify construction.
deedubya
Confined to the shed

Post by deedubya » #528394

oranges wrote:I've already stated it's 60 to 90 minutes
Don't you think we've already achieved that as an average, though? Anecdotal, but I've had loads of hour+ rounds, even on highpop hours. Speaking of pop, you should keep in mind that round length tends to be the inverse of the number of people playing at the time, which makes an overall average hard to collect.
skoglol wrote:
deedubya wrote:An engine room explosion is often enough to warrant a call on its own

You might disagree, but actually making people fix shit instead of resetting the round is something I want to see happen. You dont NEED the SM. You dont NEED robotics. And if you think you do, go rebuild it. Take the challenge for once.
Believe me, I'm one of the first people that likes to build backup engines over calling the shuttle when the SM goes banan. But if cargo isn't on their game, it's not really possible anymore. You can't just nick the engi budget(RIP budget cards) and build a backup engine. If cargo blew all the points on ATVs and mosins like usual, you're forced to spend half an hour building and dragging pacmans everywhere, assuming the crew is even willing to wait that long.

Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528397

I don’t' care if we achieved it or not, it's the number to use for balancing things, it has nothing to do with the actual server round times other than they should roughly over time align to it.
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #528413

i havent read all the other posts but if nobody has suggested yet paradise handles it very well: after a certain amount of time in the round(set in config), there's a vote for a "crew transfer" that calls the shuttle. if it doesnt pass, it waits a bit and does another vote, basically forever until the shuttle is called manually or via the vote. When I played, there was no "im bored" shuttle calls, people would just wait until the crew transfer. The vote was like any other vote, anyone online can vote. On paradise the config was at 2 hours, most rounds lasted at LEAST 2 hours, unless there was a genuine emergency. 2 hours might be too long for /tg/, but that's why config exists. I believe it is an easy, simple, and harmless way to set a standard for round times. Worst case scenario, people ignore it and call the shuttle before the designated round time because they are bored.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528420

This is not a bad idea, a starting config of 90 minutes seems fine to me.

Do they allow manual shuttle calls?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #528426

yeah paradise doesn't call shuttles.

They call ERTs. Ghost roles and all that.

But paradise also gives security and head of staff members death alarm implants that blares location on comms.

Different way of doing thing, certainly harsher on the antags
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528428

you didn't answer my question
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #528431

they do allow manual shuttle calls.

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #528446

Forcing a call 75-90 minutes in as well as allowing earlier manual calls (like now) sounds reasonable.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528458

we're not going to force a call ever, so discard that theory
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #528478

skoglol wrote:

Honestly, engine delams will only ever occur because the engineers are morons or because antags have killed them all and have taken control of the engine room and/or AI to ensure a delam. In either case nobody is going to be in a position to fix it.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #528513

oranges wrote:
cacogen wrote:I agree with what you're saying in theory skoglol but you're ignoring how tedious, finicky and boring large scale construction actually is (which it wouldn't be if a lot of people were working on it, but that rarely if ever happens)
this is definitely true, the whole slap things together in your hands crafting method is what causes this to fall down, i'm of the view we need to radically simplify construction.
Just gonna quote this here because I think slow construction leads to lots of other problems, not just i ded pls restart.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
skoglol

Post by skoglol » #528517

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Honestly, engine delams will only ever occur because the engineers are morons or because antags have killed them all and have taken control of the engine room and/or AI to ensure a delam. In either case nobody is going to be in a position to fix it.
If you can't fix the SM, start looking into alternate power sources. People are happy to moonlight engineering the rest of the time, lets not pretend we actually need engineers to get by. Besides, there are plenty of SM delams that dont cause a lot of damage to station or crew. SM gone is a shit shuttle reason, since even solars can power the station alone.

A lot of the issues you see with SM delams are directly caused by the shuttle getting called over it. If people know they have to deal with it, they will in time adjust and start knowing how to deal with it. Some traitors also sabotage the SM to cause a shuttle call for whatever reason.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #528533

Extending the average episode time is not gonna ever really work if the overall thing isn't reworked, too. As it is the server/station is like a dude doing the balancing plates trick. Each plate spinning is a representation of a facet of the server after it starts. One plate is the mode, each dept is its own plate, there's another, or five, for the rng antagonists, another for power, and the list goes on and on, with the crew each adding their own several plates as they follow their own greytiding/gimmicks. These plates will smack into eachother and come down, and easily can bring down the whole setup with just a few of them doing that.

The game goes 'too fast' right now. You can cross the station in seconds, you can die/be healed similarly, just to start with the crew. The way it is designed, the station is incredibly easy to sabotage ("hue hue, this is intended" is not a good answer when this heavily influences the game but is refused outright to even be examined), and unless you want to make the game less reliant on random fuckups, it needs compartmentalization of several levels.

Each individual crewman has TOO MUCH power over the present rounds. There's no physical barriers that matter to keep people out of things on the station, hacking is something any crew can do because there still is zero skills/traits systems to differentiate people from one another, and sabotage takes a tiny fraction of effort from a tiny portion of the stations crew, leading to what is now normal for rounds.

Slow the game down and this is possible through a bunch of factors, all of which are gonna piss people off and change the game in fundamental ways.
It's all or nothing.
Taraiph
Byond Username: Taraiph

Post by Taraiph » #528539

skoglol wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Honestly, engine delams will only ever occur because the engineers are morons or because antags have killed them all and have taken control of the engine room and/or AI to ensure a delam. In either case nobody is going to be in a position to fix it.
If you can't fix the SM, start looking into alternate power sources. People are happy to moonlight engineering the rest of the time, lets not pretend we actually need engineers to get by. Besides, there are plenty of SM delams that dont cause a lot of damage to station or crew. SM gone is a shit shuttle reason, since even solars can power the station alone.

A lot of the issues you see with SM delams are directly caused by the shuttle getting called over it. If people know they have to deal with it, they will in time adjust and start knowing how to deal with it. Some traitors also sabotage the SM to cause a shuttle call for whatever reason.
There's a few things wrong in this here statement.

1: Solars are shit, they give shit for power, and setting them up is boring and tedious. Toss down the cables, set the panels to auto, 200/190 the SME, go off to do the next one. This assumes that you don't have to repair them after random debris/rods blast through your assembly midway through the round and fuck up power generation.

2: These servers adapt to nothing, understand less than that, and refuse to learn shit. You should know this by now.

3: SM delams are a symptom of things going wrong, not the cause. Unless, of course, the CE is doing a galaxy-brained SM setup, in which case the complete annihilation of anywhere between half and all of the station is to be expected. If that doesn't warrant a shuttle call then I'm not sure what to tell you.
delaron
Byond Username: Delaron

Post by delaron » #528554

Perhaps tie the Ai's ability to call a shuttle to % station destroyed and or %population alive vs dead? Default the AI cant call the shuttle. If people turn on suit sensors (lol) and the percent alive to dead meets a defined threshold then the ai can call the shuttle.

I am personally good with 60 - 90 minute rounds. Any longer and I would have to generally bow out due to irl responsibilities.

I agree with the idea of bringing in sleepers in the dorms to retire your play and allow someone else to pick it back up as a way to reduce grey tide antag rollers grief.

Expanding on station goals with department tasks is also a grand idea but that requires coders code it. So many ideas so few coders :) (I'm seriously considering coding a couple department goals.)

What is the general vibe about admins adding content to rounds? Any time I have ran a ad hoc small event it extended the round time because there was a focus outside of the antag kill valid hunter kill cycle. Should we lean on that more, less meh?
-------
I'm not smart enough to meme.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #528766

oranges wrote:
imsxz wrote:after a certain amount of time in the round(set in config), there's a vote for a "crew transfer" that calls the shuttle. if it doesnt pass, it waits a bit and does another vote, basically forever until the shuttle is called manually or via the vote
You're rarely going to get to 90 minutes on our server. It'd probably have to be lowpop. Based on my experience the average round length is about 40 minutes. But that's too short. I think a better number for the first vote should be 60 minutes, in the hopes that people who are bored by 40 minutes wait the extra 20 for the vote as imsxz says happens on Paradise.
NSFW:

skoglol

Post by skoglol » #528779

Taraiph wrote:There's a few things wrong in this here statement.

1: Solars are shit, they give shit for power, and setting them up is boring and tedious. Toss down the cables, set the panels to auto, 200/190 the SME, go off to do the next one. This assumes that you don't have to repair them after random debris/rods blast through your assembly midway through the round and fuck up power generation.

2: These servers adapt to nothing, understand less than that, and refuse to learn shit. You should know this by now.

3: SM delams are a symptom of things going wrong, not the cause. Unless, of course, the CE is doing a galaxy-brained SM setup, in which case the complete annihilation of anywhere between half and all of the station is to be expected. If that doesn't warrant a shuttle call then I'm not sure what to tell you.
1: Solars arent fun, but if you hotwire the smes or add new smes they can supply all of meta at least.

2: Stasis beds and cobbychem would like a word with you. I still keep walking out of medbay alive, disproving this ice cold take.

3: If the station is in a state of crisis, that should be the trigger for the shuttle call. Calling because the SM is delamming is dumb. We should overall stop assuming there is a crisis before it becomes apparent, it would make for better gameplay.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #528974

cacogen wrote:
oranges wrote:
imsxz wrote:after a certain amount of time in the round(set in config), there's a vote for a "crew transfer" that calls the shuttle. if it doesnt pass, it waits a bit and does another vote, basically forever until the shuttle is called manually or via the vote
You're rarely going to get to 90 minutes on our server. It'd probably have to be lowpop. Based on my experience the average round length is about 40 minutes. But that's too short. I think a better number for the first vote should be 60 minutes, in the hopes that people who are bored by 40 minutes wait the extra 20 for the vote as imsxz says happens on Paradise.
I literally dont' care, I have set a target of 90 and as we move more stuff to that, the rounds will simply follow naturally.
OFQ
Byond Username: OFQ

Post by OFQ » #535584

AI shuttle call is meh mechanic since "monkey son organic abortions" are in constant danger at the station and any self respecting AI should call the shuttle ASAP.

Also AIs tend to get bored real fast, especially if nothing happens so they start to bait condom and heads for a shuttle call request or simply call it themselves if a human stabs a toe(or how the saying goes). + for antags it is impossible to prevent shuttle call without hacking AI. This kinda sucks.