Rig suit slots (mining edition)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Rig suit slots (mining edition)

Post by peoplearestrange » #56165

So it was the first time I played miner in quite a while, lota changes since I played last.

First and foremost is why the hell can't the miners rig suit take a O2 tank in the suit slot any more? That just seems entirely stupid. Miners require them to have a fair amount of equipment on them when the mining, so taking your back pack off and using that for and O2 tank is just a silly idea.
(You need at least a GPS, scanner, shovel, crowbar, backup O2, lantern, probably a kentic accelerator, mining satchel, pickaxe/drill.)
Theres no way you can have all this stuff without a backpack, and holding you backpack in hand is just silly seeing as gibonite requires you to have BOTH hands free.

You might say just take a extend e-tank or a regular e-tank and stick that in the suit slot, but thats really not enough O2 for any decent exploration/mining trip, or you have to keep topping up each time you return, which is a pain in itself.

I mean why have an large O2 tank dispenser when its basicly not a usable item anymore.

I can't be the only one thinking this right?
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Re: Rig suit slots (mining edition)

Post by Alex Crimson » #56167

The yellow extended tank Miners spawn with can be filled with oxygen and set to 16, which will let it last for 30 minutes, i believe. I dont see the issue.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #56169

The ability for RIG suits to carry large oxygen tanks was removed for consistency purposes.

Personally I don't see that issue since all RIG suits could hold large oxygen tanks while the space suits could not. I think the real reason for that change was to fix the ability for players to be able to hold a jetpack in their RIG suit slot.
iyaerP
Byond Username: IyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #56173

That wasn't an issue. Hell, that was practically the point of having it, otherwise, you were just carrying it around everywhere, or didn't get to use a backpack. And as mentioned, mining is the single most inventory management intense job in the game.

It seems lately that mining gets nerfed for no reason because of trivial non-issues, and actual bugs get left un-fixxed and ignored.
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #56181

peoplearestrange wrote: (You need at least a GPS, scanner, shovel, crowbar, backup O2, lantern, probably a kentic accelerator, mining satchel, pickaxe/drill.)
Depending on the relative skill of the miner some of those items aren't wholly needed as long as you know how to play it properly. Shovel is useless unless your going for sand (drill negates the need for pickaxe or shovel),GPS is useless since telescience is removed/dead. Put your ID in your PDA and stick on your ID slot with the light on, headlights on the RIG, lantern in pocket with one of your oxygen tanks. You're left with some space within your bag if you get rid of the box,crowbar,GPS,Shovel. You can use the KA for mining with the scanner easily, so as long as you want a decent melee weapon kick your pickaxe and mine with the KA and hone you ability to fight the mining mobs with it.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #56182

Alex Crimson wrote:The yellow extended tank Miners spawn with can be filled with oxygen and set to 16, which will let it last for 30 minutes, i believe. I dont see the issue.
If this is the case why not have a extended tank dispenser rather than the large O2 tanks? I mean whats the point in that dispenser at all?

Personally I like to have at least two O2 tanks, so if I run out of air somewhere lost in the mines I have a chance to get back.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56239

RG4 wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote: (You need at least a GPS, scanner, shovel, crowbar, backup O2, lantern, probably a kentic accelerator, mining satchel, pickaxe/drill.)
Depending on the relative skill of the miner some of those items aren't wholly needed as long as you know how to play it properly. Shovel is useless unless your going for sand (drill negates the need for pickaxe or shovel),GPS is useless since telescience is removed/dead. Put your ID in your PDA and stick on your ID slot with the light on, headlights on the RIG, lantern in pocket with one of your oxygen tanks. You're left with some space within your bag if you get rid of the box,crowbar,GPS,Shovel. You can use the KA for mining with the scanner easily, so as long as you want a decent melee weapon kick your pickaxe and mine with the KA and hone you ability to fight the mining mobs with it.
The correct answer is always carry a gps you cretin. If you don't carry one, I (your fellow miner) will not bother looking for you. Also, you've got plenty of space to carry everything a miner honestly needs with your slots and storage options.

GPS and Crowbar go in your box inside the bag. Both function perfectly for what they are (ohshit beacon and backup tool respectively) perfectly well inside of the box. ID in PDA, PDA in ID slot, pickaxe/drill on belt slot (if you even bother getting a drill) for basilisks mostly, extended O2 tank in pocket, Kinetic Accelerator in rig slot, scanner in other pocket, two satchels in backpack, 1-2 bruise packs in bag. Done. Pre dying-in-the-mines ritual over. (Dying optional only scrubs die in the mines)
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #56255

I dont like the change but I have come to accept it. I just wish we could have an extra extended tank.

Now if we can only get them to fix the advanced mining scanner to always show ore rather than that retarded pulsing. It does nothing but makes diamond drills dangerous to mine with as you can mine into gibtonite (which instantly blows up because with a diamond drill you dont get a chance to react) that was off screen in the time it takes the damn thing to pulse.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56257

soulgamer wrote:I dont like the change but I have come to accept it. I just wish we could have an extra extended tank.

Now if we can only get them to fix the advanced mining scanner to always show ore rather than that retarded pulsing. It does nothing but makes diamond drills dangerous to mine with as you can mine into gibtonite (which instantly blows up because with a diamond drill you dont get a chance to react) that was off screen in the time it takes the damn thing to pulse.
Gibtonite should only be insta-exploding if you're hitting it when its already been activated.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #56261

cedarbridge wrote:
soulgamer wrote:I dont like the change but I have come to accept it. I just wish we could have an extra extended tank.

Gibtonite should only be insta-exploding if you're hitting it when its already been activated.
Yeah but with the drill the delay between hitting and breaking is so small that if you're mining a path foward, by time you realize you've struck gibtonite odds are you've already started drilling the active deposit and its too late.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #56262

I think Bay has double extended emergency tanks. Think "same capacity as a large tank, but smaller".
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #56270

DemonFiren wrote:I think Bay has double extended emergency tanks. Think "same capacity as a large tank, but smaller".
Its in our code too, just not anywhere on the station.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #56276

MMMiracles wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:

Yeah but with the drill the delay between hitting and breaking is so small that if you're mining a path foward, by time you realize you've struck gibtonite odds are you've already started drilling the active deposit and its too late.
You have about a half second with a diamond drill to realized you mined gibtonite before you start drilling again. None of this would be a problem if the advanced scanner just showed stuff constantly. Besides its not like it would be OP.
Spoiler:
If we get that I will be pushing to get faster pickup rates from mining bots so you dont have to constantly wait for them to pick stuff up if you have anything faster than a mining drill
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #56282

peoplearestrange wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:The yellow extended tank Miners spawn with can be filled with oxygen and set to 16, which will let it last for 30 minutes, i believe. I dont see the issue.
If this is the case why not have a extended tank dispenser rather than the large O2 tanks? I mean whats the point in that dispenser at all?

Personally I like to have at least two O2 tanks, so if I run out of air somewhere lost in the mines I have a chance to get back.
Lazy coding on Paprikas side, not replacing the O2 tank dispenser.
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #56289

I really think that the mining drone should just act like a vacuum cleaner, sucking up all the ore from any tile it is dragged over, but not running away from the piles of plasma and diamond to go get that one iron ore that it saw.
Ezel
Byond Username: Improvedname

Post by Ezel » #56462

The mining drone can act like 2 mining items so this could indeed spare 2 slots
So you dont need a kinetic accelator
And mining satchels/ore boxes
The future is horrible!
RG4
Byond Username: RG4ORDR

Post by RG4 » #56470

cedarbridge wrote:
RG4 wrote:
The correct answer is always carry a gps you cretin. If you don't carry one, I (your fellow miner) will not bother looking for you. Also, you've got plenty of space to carry everything a miner honestly needs with your slots and storage options.

GPS and Crowbar go in your box inside the bag. Both function perfectly for what they are (ohshit beacon and backup tool respectively) perfectly well inside of the box. ID in PDA, PDA in ID slot, pickaxe/drill on belt slot (if you even bother getting a drill) for basilisks mostly, extended O2 tank in pocket, Kinetic Accelerator in rig slot, scanner in other pocket, two satchels in backpack, 1-2 bruise packs in bag. Done. Pre dying-in-the-mines ritual over. (Dying optional only scrubs die in the mines)
I learned how to mine from Blessed, our dear mining leader and robust god,only he who sleeps with goliaths know the ability to calm them.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #56489

Alex Crimson wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6647

Lazy reading on alex crimson's side
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56511

paprika wrote:
Alex Crimson wrote:
peoplearestrange wrote:

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-station/pull/6647

Lazy reading on alex crimson's side
That's a terrible bandaid "fix" for something that changed when it wasn't actually a problem. Again.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #56518

>engineers holding jetpacks on their hardsuits wasn't actually a problem

k
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
iyaerP

Post by iyaerP » #56519

Unnecessary nerfs and removals have been the hallmarks of the coderbus of late, and it is getting really shitty.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #56530

We're waiting for you to grace us with your knowledge of game development and coding
Raven776
Byond Username: Raven776

Post by Raven776 » #56554

I see no reason why you should need to be able to wear a big oxy tank... Just take a spare extended and stuff that in your internals box, fill them both up to max, take a spare big one in case those run out, and you're fine forever. You shouldn't be gone from the station much longer than that...

Making oxygen a resource you actually have to manage is a good idea. The big oxygen tanks meant I could put one in the rig suit slot, and I'd only need to worry about it if I was doing the stupid 'strip yourself to run down a hallway faster' move.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56632

Raven776 wrote:I see no reason why you should need to be able to wear a big oxy tank... Just take a spare extended and stuff that in your internals box, fill them both up to max, take a spare big one in case those run out, and you're fine forever. You shouldn't be gone from the station much longer than that...

Making oxygen a resource you actually have to manage is a good idea. The big oxygen tanks meant I could put one in the rig suit slot, and I'd only need to worry about it if I was doing the stupid 'strip yourself to run down a hallway faster' move.
Your first paragraph doesn't lead into your second. The extended tank miners and engineering already get lasts about as long as the large tanks anyway AND fit in a pocket slot.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #56635

No they don't, the larger gas tanks can hold much more than the smaller ones.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #56642

Scott wrote:No they don't, the larger gas tanks can hold much more than the smaller ones.
Senselessly since the round will usually end before an extended tank ever needs to be refilled. What's your point?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #56661

That pull would not have solved anything paprika.

You just wanted to claim anyone using the large tank was stupid. The canisters already in the outposts are common knowledge but no you just decided to pretend otherwise for a single insult, thank goodness the petty thing was closed.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #56712

It makes in-world sense for space suits to have a place specifically to put oxygen tanks.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
firecage
Github User
Byond Username: Firecage
Github Username: Firecage

Post by firecage » #56831

Even more-so for a higher quality type of Space suit, namely the Hardsuit/Rig suit