What is a good plumbing room size?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

What is a good plumbing room size?

Post by cacogen » #532383

A PR I'm working on results in me needing to move the plumbing room on Box down, making it longer as more space was created. Judging by the two maps it's present on and the PR open adding it to DonutStation we haven't figured out an optimal size yet. I'm making this thread to ask experienced plumbers (asscrack) what they think a good size is. Is Meta's too small? Is Box's too big? Is one already a good size? Thanks.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: What is a good plumbing room size?

Post by oranges » #532675

as big as possible
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #532679

I've seen people make fully automated meth factories in the confines of cargos warehouse so that's probably a good minimum size.

Finding space for a giant square/rectangle is pretty hard right now though in most cases.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Post by deedubya » #532721

It doesn't necessarily have to be a giant square or rectangle, from my experience in newchem. It does need to be fairly open though. I feel like a combined area of 60+ is "good enough" for plumbing to work well.
Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #532740

don't we have multiple levels now
NSFW:

ragevirus
Byond Username: Ragevirus

Post by ragevirus » #533075

I've been fucking with plumbing a lot lately. In my experience an optimized drug factory spitting out a single med tier chem takes up about 1/3 of the factory space on meta. A true autist could probably make it smaller. I'd say you could probably shrink the meta factory to about 80% and it would still be comfortable for two chemists.

Personally I'd like to see the maintenance factories removed and additional space added to the chem lab (or apothecary or pharmacy or whatever). Although that seems unlikely at this point.
It was fun to be able to sit in the lab and take orders from people. Now I have to decide between plumbing fuckery and getting to interact with the crew. Also, even though the mappers did a good job the whole thing still feels shoehorned in back there. Because it is shoehorned in back there. It's weird to have to crawl over chairs in the operating room and go through maintenance just to do my job. The current arrangement works, but it stifles crew interactivity.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #533110

I don't think the mappers did a good job. They are shoehorned in. But they require so much empty space it's hard to make that look elegant.

The other problem is obviously how hard it is to integrate them into existing station layouts given how much they displace. I made a pull making changes to BoxStation's xenobiology that made it one row longer and I had to shift a bunch of shit adjacent down (including plumbing beneath it), meaning I needed to redo segments of pipes and wires to reattach them and figure out how to fill the extra space created. It resulted in more run-on work than expected for such a small change. I can't imagine the work involved in placing one of those huge rooms centrally on a well-established station. Not only would you have to redo piping and wiring and camera and lighting coverage, you'd have a ton of extra space to fill.

But I understand multi-z stations are functional now. I saw a PR making multi-z changes to Donut. So I guess just chuck plumbing upstairs or downstairs from the chem lab. It's sort of a cop-out because I'm not sure how much interaction exists between z-levels at the moment but it's an easier solution than described above. Saying this though, a more experienced mapper might swoop in and spend the time to better integrate the plumbing rooms into the main maps like it's nothing.
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #533178

looking forward to your bitch ass making a better attempt then cacogen you shittalking peckerwood
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #533347

huh
NSFW:

Taraiph
Byond Username: Taraiph

Post by Taraiph » #533377

Don't mind Oranges, he's mad that effort has to be done to make the new chemistry changes work on the maps we have.
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #533383

Metas morgue is huge now. Big enough for plumbing?
Mind you this might interfere with the psychologist thing.