MRP Codebase and Round Length

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

MRP Codebase and Round Length

Post by RaveRadbury » #538746

Oranges says that the codebase is MRP. He also says that he's been aiming for 90 minute rounds. Therefore, an ideal round on Manuel (currently the only MRP server) should last 90 minutes. In my experience playing and observing there this definitely has not been the case as rounds there can go on for quite some time.

So I ask, is 90 minutes a good MRP round length, and what should be done if the actual average round length is deemed "too long"? I'm looking for a response from Oranges here but I'd also like to know what others think as well.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Re: MRP Codebase and Round Length

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #538750

i dont like when rounds are too long because people stop engaging with each other and just start dicking around wordlessly in their department with their little projects, so then people try to spice up the round with antics and events, which gets the shuttle called, but the Silent Avengers in their little fortresses get mad cuz they're not done building 500 phazons so they keep recalling it as half the crew is SSD or dead and not being cloned and the station's being eaten by a singularity
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #538751

Another thing: We've also set the TDM game modes to 3% each. Does this mean these modes are less MRP and need to be improved for our MRP codebase?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #538776

this isn't a target for people, it's a target for code.

If the rounds go longer, I do not really care, if the round go shorter, I also do not really care.

Things should be base completed at 60 minutes and fully completed at ~90.

what happens after someone unlocks all the things is not really my concern.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #539342

RaveRadbury wrote:Another thing: We've also set the TDM game modes to 3% each. Does this mean these modes are less MRP and need to be improved for our MRP codebase?
There’s nothing wrong with the occasional cool down round TDM modes offer. I’d rather they orient themselves as such rather than pretend to be something else. The issue imo is that these are viewed as separate entities so even though they may be low percentages these may add up to the point where you’re playing more TDM than you want.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current