Phobia Feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Phobia Feedback

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #541984

phobia shouldn't be a neutral quirk, it should give points. made my game borderline unplayable since it gave me a fear of "robots" and people screaming AI DOOR over the comms made me shit myself blind and I couldn't load crates into the cargo bay without killing the mulebots, which caused the AI to start harassing me all shift.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Phobia Feedback

Post by Anonmare » #541998

But Crag, you might use those points to buy a positive quirk and we can't have that.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #541999

yeah, you might get something like "eat twice as fast" with a point. Other sources of points are far more balanced, like social anxiety, which is a mild annoyance, and light drinker, which has no downside since all alcohols either have no upside or ones that you don't need to drink a lot to feel the effects of, so all it does is mean less alcohol is required for the desired effect. Not to mention poor aim, which is so big a downside that the minor inaccuracy it gives your weapons (that already couldn't be aimed since people move so fast) are now more likely to hit since they're harder to predict. Not to mention the heirloom trait which is a minor mood boost and sometimes a useful item that requires you to lose a single backpack slot. It's so hard when the clown gets a free golden bike horn and then loses it and is mildly sad, resulting in a chance of temporarily lower movespeed!

But phobias, nah, those aren't suitable for even one point. Let's say you're scared of command and it happens to be a round where no heads of staff spawn and you never go near their equipment! That situation is FAR more common than simply not having to shoot a gun with perfect accuracy and failing, which is when poor aim is bad. someone could take it along with the overpowered brain tumour and start the round with a camera or something.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #542056

phobias used to be a +1 quirk and guess what, people ctrl v all the triggers roundstart
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #542058

man you guys sound pretty pissed off
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #542063

i had sec phobia on rev round and I wasn’t pissed off in the slightest ok
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #542131

I am not interested in hearing balance concerns about phobia.

I have heavily weighted towards unbalanced in negative terms because otherwise people will add combat focused stuff and complain when they get nerfed.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #542154

Anonmare wrote:But Crag, you might use those points to buy a positive quirk and we can't have that.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #542193

phobia is great because there's either no triggers or everything's a trigger
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #542204

Make it so the more you're exposed to your phobia the less it affects you, face your fears and all that
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #542225

PKPenguin321 wrote:Make it so the more you're exposed to your phobia the less it affects you, face your fears and all that
Would be a valid compromise cuz if you get something like fear of robots it's basically like being blind
TWATICUS
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Twaticus

Post by TWATICUS » #542230

phobia is a pretty funny quirk and makes things interesting/breaks up your normal routine. especially when someone figures out what your phobia is and occasionally runs up to mess with you.

the biggest issue by far is the goddamn blind. the stuttering and scream is funny and gives away your phobia to whoever is around you, hell even when you freeze up and cant move for a couple seconds is way way way better than the long ass blind. its just boring and lasts for fucking ever. pls remove blind.

also theres a phobia, possibly more than one, that plain doesnt work and runtimes but i forgot to report it :oops:
ImageImageImage
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #542254

I'd be glad to touch up phobias and update the fear reactions; when i initially made them i didn't expect for them to be so widespread, so i kinda just made up four things before i ran out of ideas.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #542270

They're not particularly well suited as a quirk if you're doing it for flavor, I'd love if they were reworked a bit though

They're entirely RNG dependent so you end up with silly situations like being slightly jittery for seeing a snake but screaming in terror if someone says boop over the radio
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #542285

I happened to have arachnophobia on a round with a spider outbreak and it made the game unplayable. Turned off the phobia quirk after that. Another time I somehow got brain damage, leading to a phobia of doctors and medical equipment and anything tangentially related to medical. The doctor treating me (this was on Manuel) asked me why I'd come to the Medbay to have it treated. There would've been triggers whereever I went for the surgery due to the necessity of surgical tools. Could've used ghetto ones I suppose but fuck taking the time to organise those and finding someone to perform it. I like the idea of graded desensitisation to overcome phobia more than brain surgery.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #542323

oranges wrote:I have heavily weighted towards unbalanced in negative terms because otherwise people will add combat focused stuff and complain when they get nerfed.
Have you considered a zero-sum system wherein essentially every perk is zero points but is a part of a direct isolated tradeoff?

Also since when do you give a shit about people complaining
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #543235

Add phobia to felinids

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #543239

Agux909 wrote:Add phobia to felinids
Already in, it's the anime phobia.
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #544347

Make it so that hearing the phobia does less of a fear reaction compared to say, seeing the phobia. And hearing it on radio does even less of an effect.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #544359

RaveRadbury wrote:
Agux909 wrote:Add phobia to felinids
Already in, it's the anime phobia.
But I don't want my character to be crapping his pants when he hears the word ANIME or such, only when he sees or hears the catbeasts.

skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #544369

I once accepted a bribe of some meth pills as sec, ate one and just after someone started singlecapping. I head over to EVA with my partner to get suits so we can dunk the space bomber who was at this time singing about cuban pete and yelling prophecies about moses. As the AI opens the eva doors, the meth catches up to me and gives me a phobia... Of space.

After very slowly making my way around the station while constantly stunned, slowed, confused and blinded I still managed to take out the bomber mostly due to sheer incompetence/bad luck on his part. Then we blew up since he had an active tank in his hand.

Phobias are cool, but if you are going to make them negative you gotta remove the choice of phobia (that last I saw didnt save anyway)
I also miss bullying curators with the snake phobia, f
RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #544413

skoglol wrote:(that last I saw didnt save anyway)
Fixed

but now there is a new bug causing it to pick a random phobia instead of just defaulting to spiders.