Flashes

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
JamalGinsberg
Byond Username: Jamal Ginsberg

Flashes

Post by JamalGinsberg » #552014

Note to self: acquire a welding helmet and have it covering your eyes every millisecond of every moment in the game, or else you will get non stop stunned and blinded by some random nigga with a flash for 2 minutes straight while being mercilessly beaten to the bitter end, knowing there is no hope to recover from the stun, and feel so helpless you will truly and fully understand the meaning of of the word rape.

tldr:
nerf flashes, or offer more ways to deal with them
Attachments
notetoself.jpg
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Re: Note to self:

Post by Fikou » #552020

revs nerf
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #552028

lol

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #552059

use sunglasses like in that movie
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #552087

theres literally a hard counter to deal with these but i think we should add holding your breath and closing your eyes to the game so you can close your eyes which obviously blinds you but youre immune to flashes and welding and shit. also holding your breath would let you go without oxygen but when you run out of the oxygen stored in your lungs, you take a ton more oxygen damage than you normally would unless you breathe in.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #552092

BeeSting12 wrote:theres literally a hard counter to deal with these but i think we should add holding your breath and closing your eyes to the game so you can close your eyes which obviously blinds you but youre immune to flashes and welding and shit. also holding your breath would let you go without oxygen but when you run out of the oxygen stored in your lungs, you take a ton more oxygen damage than you normally would unless you breathe in.
flashes go trough your eyelids like flashbangs its not realistic
deedubya
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Deedubya

Re: Flashes

Post by deedubya » #552100

if you're gonna act like a chimp anyway, learn from the best, learn from goku

Galatians 4:16 "Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?"
hey imma teegee admeme compliment me on my appearance here

flattering compliments people have given me:
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:honestly holy shit deedubs you're a dent head
wesoda25 wrote:deedub is one of the people that makes me wish i could block users on forums
IkeTG wrote:every post from deedubya is worrying behavior
Super Aggro Crag wrote:you're a poo head!!!!!
TheMythicGhost wrote:You're a moron, but that's really nothing new since you're Deedubya, and really at this point I'm just playing an instrument by speaking since your head is so goddamn empty these words are resonating as they pass through.
Lazengann wrote:What's interesting about deedubya is the guy has no reading skills or comprehension and his ADHD is so severe he can't read through a single thread but he shows up to argue anyway
annoyinggreencatgirl wrote:you really are almost superhumanly retarded dude, holy smokes.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #552123

>He doesn't know about the glass shards + bedsheets trick
► Show Spoiler
JamalGinsberg

Post by JamalGinsberg » #552184

Shadowflame909 wrote:>He doesn't know about the glass shards + bedsheets trick
please do tell
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #552204

Use glass shard to cut up bedsheet

Use cloth from bedsheet to craft blindfold

Be flash immune
JamalGinsberg

Post by JamalGinsberg » #552305

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Use glass shard to cut up bedsheet

Be flash immune
Attachments
what.PNG
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #555558

Flashes are already one of the most rubbish stuns in the game.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #555579

flashes are so useless I always drop mine and just put a second baton in my belt
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #555602

teepeepee wrote:flashes are so useless I always drop mine and just put a second baton in my belt
good luck batoning the borg
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #555615

JamalGinsberg wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Use glass shard to cut up bedsheet

Be flash immune
No you are
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #557772

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:Flashes are already one of the most rubbish stuns in the game.
Wat? Flashes are like 8 second hard stun. They need a nerf.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #557773

I love how we’ve come so far as to think flashes op. (btw flashes are one of the best tools as sec even back when tasers were around, literally a stun baton which can be used on most of the crew and not on you. if u dont use it u suck)

Anyways I think just remove any stun attached to it, if you directly flash someone they get really dizzy and blind for longer than current, if they have glasses on both of these effects are weaker but still present, and AOE works as normal. Borgs would be nerfed and buffed by this so would that really be an issue?

Edit: if thats too weak then maybe add a minor slowdown? wouldn’t make much sense but realism isn’t an argument sooo. So long as the confusion is strong enough though I feel that wouldn’t be necessary)
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #557779

wesoda25 wrote:I love how we’ve come so far as to think flashes op.
If the game was full of 1 hit ggs, then flashes would not be that good, however, that has changed and at the moment flashes are better than most other stuns (unless somebody takes steps to powergame it).

I would personally just white the screen for 8 seconds, maybe minor slowdown or disorientation, but none of that instant 1 hit gg stuff that is happening at the moment.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #557804

I had a flash changes thread somewhere
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #557971

Istoprocent1 wrote:
wesoda25 wrote:I love how we’ve come so far as to think flashes op.
If the game was full of 1 hit ggs, then flashes would not be that good, however, that has changed and at the moment flashes are better than most other stuns (unless somebody takes steps to powergame it).
I'm aware its just the thought that we've come so far from that, which really wasn't too long ago, is cool.
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #560130

Flashes are stupidly OP for how common they are, and are the only instant hard stun left at this point. 1 click gg "bro just get sunglasses" yes all the powergamers do that every round already that doesn't matter, they need changed
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #560153

Anuv wrote:Flashes are stupidly OP
Are you serious? An item that is literally useless vs security and any antag that has enough of a brain to pick up any of the 80 or so items that give of eye protection just lying around the station is 'stupidly op'?
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Fikou
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #560178

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Are you serious? An item that is literally useless vs security and any antag that has enough of a brain to pick up any of the 80 or so items that give of eye protection just lying around the station is 'stupidly op'?
thing is ok because it's an equipment check
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #560184

Fikou wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Yes.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
teepeepee
Byond Username: Teepeepee

Post by teepeepee » #560200

Fikou wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
are you going to complain about glass shards stunning you when you're barefoot too?
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #560201

teepeepee wrote:
Fikou wrote:
XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
are you going to complain about glass shards stunning you when you're barefoot too?
its based on scarcity
everyone spawns with shoes and shoes are basically everywhere
but there's a limited amount of sunglasses, and there's also a bunch of welding equipment that might work but hampers your sight so it's also a bit bad to constantly wear lest you get tunnel vision
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #560231

Hard stuns balanced by items is stupid, its better if they’re weaker in general but can work (worse) on people with said items
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #560244

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
Who cares about security the point is any normal looking/undiscovered antag OR crew can instantly take you down unless you preemptively rush straight to Lawyer for sunglasses or wear a welding helmet flipped down 24/7 which is insanely stupid (yet powergamers do it anyways). Chilling or trying to talk to someone and someone walks next to you and one click permastuns you with an item easily mass produced or found roundstart in tech storage, amazing and fun.
angelstarri
Byond Username: Angelstarri

Post by angelstarri » #560246

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
if you're retarded enough to be an antag without any sort of protection you deserve to die by the least powerful weapon

Code: Select all

I strongly suspected the borgs were one humaned by the Captain because of their increasingly strange behavior throughout the round after the Captain had entered their upload and seemingly changed the laws. I had asked twice if I could blow the borgs to no response (because there was no admin online apparently). They were constantly complimenting the Captain and calling her pretty and essentially threatening people who called the Captain ugly - Pepper Oni.
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #560329

Anuv wrote:Who cares about security the point is any normal looking/undiscovered antag OR crew can instantly take you down unless you preemptively rush straight to Lawyer for sunglasses or wear a welding helmet flipped down 24/7 which is insanely stupid (yet powergamers do it anyways). Chilling or trying to talk to someone and someone walks next to you and one click permastuns you with an item easily mass produced or found roundstart in tech storage, amazing and fun.
Flashes don't work on anyone worth killing - if you have the bare minimum of combat gear you almost certainly have a pair of sunglasses (and no the lawyers office isn't the only source). If you don't have eye protection of all things you're pretty much in a position to get dunked by anyone with basic murder tools.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #560331

XivilaiAnaxes wrote: Flashes don't work on anyone worth killing - if you have the bare minimum of combat gear you almost certainly have a pair of sunglasses (and no the lawyers office isn't the only source). If you don't have eye protection of all things you're pretty much in a position to get dunked by anyone with basic murder tools.
None of those tools are hardstuns, thus they all provide a margin of error in which you can escape.
Anuv

Post by Anuv » #560339

Tazers were removed, stun batons were nerfed, slips were nerfed, disarm spam was nerfed, just accept that flashes are OP and they're next. Even a traitor with a desword or .357 gives you, a normal target of an antag in a normal role that doesn't have base flash protection worries like 99% of crew, a (slim) chance at survival unlike flashes.
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #560506

I mean I've beaten up a headrev that tried to brainlessly run up to me with a flash without either a weapon or flash protection and I'm awful at combat.

Maybe you just need to git gud? Also lol'd @ 99% of the crew not having flash protection.
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #560523

You can nerf the shit out of flashes, fine, but how am I going to mess up prisoners in the brig then? There are wall mounted flashes, portable flashers, they'd be pretty useless.

How about make the flash's effectiveness based on the angle you're hitting someone with? Direct exposure to the eye drops you, from the side it blinds you, from behind it does nothing.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
BONERMASTER
Byond Username: BONERMASTER

Post by BONERMASTER » #560528

OR other idea: make the stun-duration short enough, that you can't put restraints on someone, delay the inbetween use of flash long enough that you can't keep someone chained to the ground with it.

So it would be an assisting weapon that on it's own wouldn't do that much, but would be a good follow up combi for a stunbaton or an injection. Raises the bar for your average assistant to endanger your life, in any case.
SIGNATURE UNDER CONSTRUCTION

*YOUR ADVERTISEMENT COULD BE HERE* - Contact BONERMASTER & Associates for further information
Istoprocent1

Post by Istoprocent1 » #560573

BONERMASTER wrote:OR other idea: make the stun-duration short enough, that you can't put restraints on someone, delay the inbetween use of flash long enough that you can't keep someone chained to the ground with it.

So it would be an assisting weapon that on it's own wouldn't do that much, but would be a good follow up combi for a stunbaton or an injection. Raises the bar for your average assistant to endanger your life, in any case.
Flashes should not be able to stunlock. The idea of only whiting and blurring of screen with potential slowdown is the best approach.
Jack7D1
Byond Username: Jack7D1

Post by Jack7D1 » #560587

I think flashes should be useful only as a self defense weapon, letting you blind and daze an assailant as you run away.

Also please let cyborgs talk to the attacker when getting Flash'n'Bash-ed. Too many times have I seen people kill cyborgs because of bad AI before they can explain that they aren't synced
Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #560640

i would say:
flash gives the already blind + confusion and on direct hit it gives you a trait that makes any bump() in walls/doors/people knockdown