Anomaly Research

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

A note on anomalies from BoH pr

Post by oranges » #553054

Who is going to refactor anomalies and when will they submit a thread outlining their plan.

We should aim to have a maximum limit on the number of each type of anomaly introduced into the round, no more than 6-8 per type I would say, so the system will need to account for that.

This allows us to stack a limit on the overall number of anomaly core based high level items, and let us adjust it well.

But you should be able to farm 4-5 of each type in the first 60 minutes relatively reliably and have a reasonable amount of control over the type generated, there should also be some sort of ramp in the difficulty, as you farm a single type, it should become harder and harder to farm that type more reliably, capping out at the max limit.

We can then use these cores to control the number of powerful RnD items in play at any one time, as well as using the techweb to limit when they are put into play as well.

This lets us use techwebs and anomaly cores to limit when very powerful items become available, and also cap how many are actually available in game, without having to unfuck the rest of the materials economy.

First idea thread:
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 60#p553058
oranges
Code Maintainer

Re: A note on anomalies from BoH pr

Post by oranges » #553056

I've seen one decent idea here so far from Hugbug and Zxaber, that could be pretty decent

Hugbug: I personally would be happy to see things like explosions possibly having some aspect in it if possible, 'cause then toxins could do more than be used once and abandoned
Zxaber: do something to get the raw core, and then use the core with a bomb in a blast chamber to condense the core into a usable object?

This is an excellent idea imo, since it gives toxins a use.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #553057

If people could also suggest other super high tech items that could use Anomaly cores here, that would be good too.

BoH is an obvious addition, but maybe some high level laser cannons and so forth?
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Anomaly Production for Science

Post by EOBGames » #553058

So oranges has made a post about anomalies, and specifically a method of production for anomalies.

So my thinking here is partially inspired by goof's recent anomalous materials PR, partially by some things Zxaber has said, and partially from my own experience in chemistry. It boils down to science producing singular SM shard which are then subjected to bombardment to produce an anomaly. The process of creating a crystal will involve crushing a number of materials, the process of which requires a high power input to produce high temperatures and pressures, and can be doped by the introduction of specific materials to allow for choosing which anomaly you receive as an end product. The result of this is a customised supermatter shard which is then bombarded (current thinking is a PA, any suggestions welcomed) to allow for the production of a singular anomaly. Upon the anomaly being produced, the crystal is destroyed.

This should result, if everything is done right, in a system that allows (relatively) easily obtaining a specific anomaly type, but with a fairly hefty time and material input to meet oranges requirements for a limit on production.

As always, feedback and thoughts are welcomed. Specifically, thoughts on how to make the system more engaging would be very appreciated.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer

Re: Anomaly Production for Science

Post by oranges » #553060

This is a nice idea, if you can, could you see if you could work toxins in? I'm quite excited about having a way to work that back into Sci core flows.
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #553087

How about the experimentor, the old grey machine that's laying around gathering dust? You have to poke it with the various tools the experimentor has (irradiate, cold, heat, poke) until it reacts and activates, with ghetto reactions if an experimentor isn't available (throw it into a fire or throw it into space or throw it near the atmospherics incinerator or bash it with a fire extinguisher)

More powerful anomalies (read: experimenting more anomalies up to the limit) would require more poking before activation and a higher chance of reaction failure, encouraging safety protocol before the experiment.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #553135

I've had an idea sitting around for like a year about anomaly based research for creating wormholes to pocket dimensions based on a holodeck style grid populated, ruin style.

I would happily populate the maps for these.

This slots can slot in nicely to a mid late game escalating reward for anomaly research
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Post by SkeletalElite » #553189

If we're talking about items to limit behind anomaly cores, the beam rifle jumps to mind. The biggest complaint about this thing is when theres a blob and theyre mass printed, now you can only get a few of them without actually nerfing the gun, still good against blob, but not mass producible.

Although the gun kinda sucks otherwise.

I'd like to see new powerful guns limited behind cores though, that'd be cool.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #553191

Oranges, I realize you probably don't want to hear this, but this just sounds like another manifestation of "Economy". The cycle of Perform Action > Get Points > Spend Points as a means of restricting the flow of certain items seems to be something you want in various places, be it mining, cargo, science, or wherever else. I think you need to actually spend some time trying to come up with a real widespread scalable solution to this instead of just merging PRs that create more problems than they solve and then hoping somebody else will be clever enough to repair the damage in a satisfactory manner.

As for the topic at hand, keep in mind that whatever you do to bluespace anomalies will also affect phazons and portal guns.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #553237

SkeletalElite wrote:If we're talking about items to limit behind anomaly cores, the beam rifle jumps to mind. The biggest complaint about this thing is when theres a blob and theyre mass printed, now you can only get a few of them without actually nerfing the gun, still good against blob, but not mass producible.

Although the gun kinda sucks otherwise.

I'd like to see new powerful guns limited behind cores though, that'd be cool.
yeah the beam rifle was one I thoughtw ould be a good candidate too.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #553376

Really neat idea. Would give toxins something to do after the first 10 minutes which is nice. You should make sure that the shards wouldn’t be mass produceable at all, that was the issue with the sm and why we made it lose so much integrity after one is removed. It might be better to just not have a way to create them, so that science and engineering have to work together (and take great care) in order to get anomalies and their gamer loot.
[this space reserved]
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #553471

The idea I was throwing around is to have a "detonation chamber" machine, in which a bomb is placed as well as the raw anomalous matter obtained from the SM process in the OP. The bomb would then be "detonated" off-screen and with no damage to the room the detonation chamber is in, to refine the anomaly into a core using high heat and pressure. Different anomalous matter could have different minimum (or even maximum) pressures, in addition to ramping up as the raw matter obtained becomes less pure (to account for oranges' requirement of a limited resource that ramps up difficulty as you obtain more). As we build into the system, we could even start adding gas requirements/restrictions (one type of anomalous matter might require might require one of the bomb tanks to have a significant amount of a deadweight gas such as n2, another type might fail to condence into a core if either bomb tank has any trit at all).
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
oranges
Code Maintainer

Anomaly Research

Post by oranges » #553483

I have spent some time fleshing this out here
https://hackmd.io/jjLi8Nl3Th6_NnLnycYRbg

The only bit that isn't clear now is how the raw material for Anomalies is collected, so if people could expand on previous ideas around that.
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Re: Anomaly Research

Post by Shadowflame909 » #553553

Looking at your justification orange man.

Isn't it possible to use BEPIS as a control as well?

They can produce 1 use items through inputting "shitloads" of currency.

Therefore it'd be easy to have extreme money gates even as a temporary time-gate until someone makes your anomaly idea come to fruition.

Example being, 1M currency investment needed to have a "decent" change at creating a singular rare item, like a BOH.
► Show Spoiler
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #553566

hahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha he thinks money is balanced
bobbahbrown
Byond Username: Bobbahbrown

Post by bobbahbrown » #553568

we have inflated the tgstation currency to an insane volume

The information contained in this post is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you received this post in error, please notify the sender by reply post and delete and destroy the message.

L’information contenue dans ce message est destinée exclusivement aux personnes ou aux entités auxquelles le message est adressé. Le contenu de ce message (y compris toute pièce jointe) peut renfermer de l’information confidentielle et / ou privilégiée. Si ce message ne vous est pas destiné, vous ne pouvez utiliser, divulguer, diffuser, copier ou imprimer son contenu. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez aviser l’expéditeur en lui faisant parvenir une réponse. De plus, veuillez supprimer et détruire le message.
CDranzer
Byond Username: CDranzer

Post by CDranzer » #553582

Hey, you're actually doing work. Good job.

Perhaps the biggest question about core material production is how widespread do you want it to be? Do you want every department to be capable of producing them, or do you want it to explicitly be something that one department does?

From a mechanics standpoint, one idea is each department can do Department Thing, generating a Rare Resource which science then refines into a Usable Resource of Department Type which can then be used to produce Department Item. Or you could just stick it all on mining I guess.
Vekter
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Vekter

Post by Vekter » #553585

Neat idea. I've been struggling with how we could make anomaly cores craftable and I think this fits the bill nicely.
AliasTakuto wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:11 pm As for the ear replacing stuff, you can ask Anne but I don't think this is what I was banned for. If I was all I can say is "Sorry for being hilarious"...
Omega_DarkPotato wrote:This sucks, dude.
Spoiler:
Reply PM from-REDACTED/(REDACTED): i tried to remove the bruises by changing her gender

PM: Bluespace->Delaron: Nobody wants a mime's asscheeks farting on their brig windows.

PM: REDACTED->HotelBravoLima: Oh come on, knowing that these are hostile aliens is metagaming

[17:43] <Aranclanos> any other question ping me again
[17:43] <Vekter> Aranclanos for nicest coder 2015
[17:44] <Aranclanos> fuck you
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #553587

Explicitly a science job at this stage, no plans to include other DEPTs in the production of the cores, seeing as they're supposed to be ultra high tech, I feel like it makes sense that RnD would be responsible for producing them.
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #553591

You'll probably want to cut anomalies out of the super matter then (>5k spews them out nonstop). I can make as many phazons as materials will allow through the engine if I care enough to at the moment (it is sort of suicidal to do this though).
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #553626

We could take inspiration from nuclear weapons. The way implosion type weapons work is by having explosives around a core of non-critical nuclear material. The explosives are shaped, and when detonated, they compress the nuclear material to a critical state, causing the explosion. How about just having a generator that you can build, which projects a 3 tile circle of blue shield. It'll then accept a bomb. You put the aformentioned SM in the middle of the circle, and then adapt the bomb strength/chamber pressure/heat/gas mix to whatever you need, then detonate it. This 'detonates the charge into an implosive force, causing a transformation in the matter'. That is, spawn smoke and replace the shard with an anomaly.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #553642

Using the super-engine as a method to generate exotic materials for more energy/materials seems like a legit proper use for it and this makes me say, for once, that such thing like the super-matter is fine to keep for this reason.

Maybe ask them to tweak it if it produces too many or get more dangerous, straight out lethal ones able to come from such a method of creation.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #553668

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:You'll probably want to cut anomalies out of the super matter then (>5k spews them out nonstop). I can make as many phazons as materials will allow through the engine if I care enough to at the moment (it is sort of suicidal to do this though).
Stopping the anomaly core SM farm is part of this yeah.
Gamarr wrote:Using the super-engine as a method to generate exotic materials for more energy/materials seems like a legit proper use for it and this makes me say, for once, that such thing like the super-matter is fine to keep for this reason.

Maybe ask them to tweak it if it produces too many or get more dangerous, straight out lethal ones able to come from such a method of creation.
I went with cargo as the raw core source in the end (doc updated). It's not as cool as other approaches, but it does give some life back to cargo as a dept for which important items come from.
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #553682

To be honest it would be kind of cool (actually really cool) if you could get like 1-2 per round if you really pushed the crystal to near delam point (like 10% integrity with the crystal generating some form of room damage - like the current anomalies that can destroy all your emitters if you're not careful).

But it would probably take a bit too much work for something that would hopefully be "happens every now and again if engines are robust as hell".
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #553697

While requiring an unsafe and risky supermatter setup to farm anomalies is fun (and it really is fun), it's important to remember that a full delam usually results in a shuttle call within a fairly short amount of time. Influencing engineers to try to hold a supermatter at half integrity (where there's usually enough time to stabilize it if it gets out of hand) is one thing, but I don't think we should be encouraging engineers to actually delam the engine.

I like the cargo idea, because I like the idea that every round there's a meta of delivering the raw materials to science near shift start (and thus opportunity for people to steal the materials for less than good deeds). Especially if the raw material is some sort of SM child object that can dust people or cause various problems if in the hands of an antag. In turn, this hopefully means that security will want to be there for the delivery, making a somewhat neat interaction between everyone. (Imagine knowing an area is safe to break into for a short period because security is probably helping with the raw anomaly materials delivery, for example).
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #553700

merged with the ideas thread
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #553712

zxaber wrote:While requiring an unsafe and risky supermatter setup to farm anomalies is fun (and it really is fun), it's important to remember that a full delam usually results in a shuttle call within a fairly short amount of time. Influencing engineers to try to hold a supermatter at half integrity (where there's usually enough time to stabilize it if it gets out of hand) is one thing, but I don't think we should be encouraging engineers to actually delam the engine.

I like the cargo idea, because I like the idea that every round there's a meta of delivering the raw materials to science near shift start (and thus opportunity for people to steal the materials for less than good deeds). Especially if the raw material is some sort of SM child object that can dust people or cause various problems if in the hands of an antag. In turn, this hopefully means that security will want to be there for the delivery, making a somewhat neat interaction between everyone. (Imagine knowing an area is safe to break into for a short period because security is probably helping with the raw anomaly materials delivery, for example).
SM child object? you can just order sm shards and lavaland is a safe space for nuclear tests, i like to buy a sm shard and few co2 cans make a 1x1 room with me on top of wall, open co2 cans and then shoot the sm with shotgun so it starts to delam and farm cores maybe add some new reaction to get bs anomalies and give scientists a scientific aux base so we can add catastrophic effects without having to balance thinking about station damage
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #553751

I'll be honest, if the beam marksman rifle was locked behind anomalies I'd want to see it actually just obliterate whatever poor sap happened to be on the receiving end of it. Right now it doesn't do quite enough damage to be worth using in conventional combat.

It also seems like a good candidate for flux anomaly construction, so maybe they can be made in enough quantities using SM farming to justify it's current power.
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #553812

I don't think it's a good idea to make SM farming the meta choice - more something risky that isnt reaaaally worth doing but robust engies do anyway because it's metal as fuck and strikes terror into both AI and the other command staff eavesdropping on the engineering channel
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #553963

if you read the document, it isn't the meta.
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #553989

oranges wrote:if you read the document, it isn't the meta.
Yeah I know, I'm replying to Anne.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556583

Something that bothers me about this whole concept is that heavily incentivizing collecting anomalies means that anomalies won't be disasters anymore. Where a pyro anomaly used to be an "ALERT, STOP THE PLASMA FIRE!" announcement where maybe a scientist and a noble soul or two would come to stop it, it would now be a "IF YOU COME TO X DEPARTMENT YOU GET A FREE GUN/BoH/SUIT OF ARMOR!" announcement and every crewmember and their mother will come running instantly.
Maybe we could make the anomalies much more dangerous or much faster if we do this.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #556586

Those things are already uber fast. Like for example, they start at 90 seconds but by the time the announcement reigns 30 seconds have already past.

Then you have to rush to wherever, and depending where it spawned like the ai sat or permabrig. Just getting there is long enough for it to already be gone.

I'd prefer if it were more dangerous.
► Show Spoiler
SumFaggotPlayTester
Byond Username: SumFagPlayTester

Post by SumFaggotPlayTester » #556599

Vortex seems like a good one that can rip into the area a good bit. Wouldn't mind seeing it be a little more dangerous. Pyro is one I would like to see beefed up but the PR making floors/walls melt seems like it'll make it nice & dangerous on its own. Grav is one I think needs the most help. Giving it the ability to attract things from further away & throw them around would be a good thing. Its all fun & games till you get hit by a pile of 70 junk items. Flux is great. 10/10 anom would not change. Well, maybe make its explosion a little bit bigger & make it more often. To often see people ignore it; would be nice to make them suffer for letting an explosive anom get away.
PKPenguin321 wrote:i escaped the cuck shed once before and then another time via anal vore and ill do it again
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #556615

PKPenguin321 wrote:Something that bothers me about this whole concept is that heavily incentivizing collecting anomalies means that anomalies won't be disasters anymore. Where a pyro anomaly used to be an "ALERT, STOP THE PLASMA FIRE!" announcement where maybe a scientist and a noble soul or two would come to stop it, it would now be a "IF YOU COME TO X DEPARTMENT YOU GET A FREE GUN/BoH/SUIT OF ARMOR!" announcement and every crewmember and their mother will come running instantly.
Maybe we could make the anomalies much more dangerous or much faster if we do this.
You act like anybody cared about them before
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #556672

oranges wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:Something that bothers me about this whole concept is that heavily incentivizing collecting anomalies means that anomalies won't be disasters anymore. Where a pyro anomaly used to be an "ALERT, STOP THE PLASMA FIRE!" announcement where maybe a scientist and a noble soul or two would come to stop it, it would now be a "IF YOU COME TO X DEPARTMENT YOU GET A FREE GUN/BoH/SUIT OF ARMOR!" announcement and every crewmember and their mother will come running instantly.
You act like anybody cared about them before
No, they don't, I actually said that outright. Right now it is:
maybe a scientist and a noble soul or two would come to stop it
And that's exactly the point. They're slow enough that anyone can stop them currently. but because there's very little reward, few do unless it's a particularly dangerous anomaly. This means that they're actually capable of going off when left unchecked which is cool.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #557022

okay, but the value they offer was limited, so I sidejacked them for something more useful for my own purposes.
BadSS13Player
Byond Username: BadSS13Player

Post by BadSS13Player » #557417

What's the purpose of the anomaly cap as opposed to having the difficulty of obtaining them increase until some very high (as in not possible to integrate into the meta) ceiling?
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #557513

BadSS13Player wrote:What's the purpose of the anomaly cap as opposed to having the difficulty of obtaining them increase until some very high (as in not possible to integrate into the meta) ceiling?
Because you have to make a system that works in an analogue sense without breaking, which is significantly harder to design properly than a binarized cap.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #557536

BadSS13Player wrote:What's the purpose of the anomaly cap as opposed to having the difficulty of obtaining them increase until some very high (as in not possible to integrate into the meta) ceiling?
I want to have very strict and clear control over the number of each type of core, so we can easily control the high powered items managed by the cores economy.

While you could do a difficulty increase in theory, in practice I don't trust the meta to not be broken on bombs/economy/etc, so it's just safest to have a hard cap managed in code.