wizard mindswap has some pretty busted abilities right now

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
mortimermcmire
Byond Username: Mortimermcmire

wizard mindswap has some pretty busted abilities right now

Post by mortimermcmire » #563165

Animate statue, mindswap into statue
Keep all of your powers and become completely immortal

Or better yet, mindswap into a laughter demon and pop out of invisibility to fireball

why is this a thing?
Vaina
Byond Username: Vaina

Re: wizard mindswap has some pretty busted abilities right now

Post by Vaina » #563169

i ded pls nerf
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #563170

mortimermcmire wrote:Animate statue, mindswap into statue

Or better yet, mindswap into a laughter demon and pop out of invisibility to fireball

why is this a thing?
see borg

mindswap into borg

become slave to the AI and lose antag status lmaoooo
► Show Spoiler
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #563171

Shadowflame909 wrote:see borg

mindswap into borg

This isn't actually true - mindswap isn't human harm. You can be told not to mindswap under law 2 but other than that (and law 1 while you're still borged) you're free to do whatever antag shit you want.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #563193

Yeah you can go hog-fucking-wild on liggers as borged antag, it's very funny to watch the crew scramble for the core/upload and kill the AI or try to reset it
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #563208

F2S into animate is not indefinite and those statues can actually be killed.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #563210

If done well, you can toss away your old, valid body and get away with various crimes. If done badly, prepare to be validded twice.
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #563219

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:

mindswap into borg

This isn't actually true - mindswap isn't human harm. You can be told not to mindswap under law 2 but other than that (and law 1 while you're still borged) you're free to do whatever antag shit you want.
That’s why you do what I did and put one point in mindswap, subvert the AI to the wizard name, rename a cyborg to that name, and then mindswap into the cyborg. And spend the rest of your points on fireball. DOMO ARRIGATO WIZARD ROBOTO was by far one of my favorite wizard rounds.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
mortimermcmire

Post by mortimermcmire » #563335

lol and you can mindswap into alloy golems that regen health

really its just mindswap in general that leads to a lot of really unfun strategies. maybe if you lost your powers as a consequence it would be pretty balanced but as is yikes

ive played ss13 on and off for about a decade and I almost forgot how dumb wizard can be. if the wizard is bad the round is lame and short. if the wizard is good the round is lame and really fucking long as they systematically murder everyone on the entire server
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: ATHATH

Post by ATHATH » #563842

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:

mindswap into borg

Mind transferring out of a cyborg body that's on Asimov IS human harm, because you know that as soon as you wake up in a body that isn't bound by the Asimov lawset, you're gonna start murderboning again. I hate hate hate hate HATE wizards who mind transfer into cyborgs and then mind transfer out again later, it's as bad as begging for a law change as an Asimov-borged antag so you can resume your murderbone.
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #563845

Cobby wrote:F2S into animate is not indefinite and those statues can actually be killed.
They literally have the "GODMODE" flag. You're correct in that they'll return to normal after a while, though, and it's going to be hard to make a new statue to mind transfer into if you don't have your wizard robes (that you left on your old body).
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #563847

mortimermcmire wrote:lol and you can mindswap into alloy golems that regen health

really its just mindswap in general that leads to a lot of really unfun strategies. maybe if you lost your powers as a consequence it would be pretty balanced but as is yikes

ive played ss13 on and off for about a decade and I almost forgot how dumb wizard can be. if the wizard is bad the round is lame and short. if the wizard is good the round is lame and really fucking long as they systematically murder everyone on the entire server
You could also just... choose to turn into an alloy golem using your magic mirror, without having to use mind transfer at all? I wouldn't recommend doing that, though, as alloy golems can't cast robed spells (because they can't wear wizard robes).

And you kind of already DO lose your powers as a consequence- you can't cast any robed spells in your new body until you get a new set of robes (real or fake; either kind will work).
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #563857

just stop trying to win against the wizard and have fun!
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #563866

ATHATH wrote:Mind transferring out of a cyborg body that's on Asimov IS human harm, because you know that as soon as you wake up in a body that isn't bound by the Asimov lawset, you're gonna start murderboning again. I hate hate hate hate HATE wizards who mind transfer into cyborgs and then mind transfer out again later, it's as bad as begging for a law change as an Asimov-borged antag so you can resume your murderbone.
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5180

No. It's not.

Silicon policy practically goes out of its way to state "preventing harm" isn't actually something you care about unless it's immediate physical violence.
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #564128

they are wrong :smirk:
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #564141

haven't experienced it so my opinion means jackshit but yeah that sounds like fun for the person playing and unfair to everyone else we should add some counters and not remove it entirely
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #564542

cacogen wrote:haven't experienced it so my opinion means jackshit but yeah that sounds like fun for the person playing and unfair to everyone else we should add some counters and not remove it entirely
There is no way to fix wizard to make it fun for anyone but the wizard, just enjoy playing it with a different perspective, where you have no individual ability to counter the wizard and should expect to die.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #564573

Wow, it really is like DnD wizard.
saprasam
Byond Username: Saprasam

Post by saprasam » #564574

i saw a 3 apprentice mindswap murderbone and it was hilarious to watch but nobody could do anything
oranges wrote:
cacogen wrote:haven't experienced it so my opinion means jackshit but yeah that sounds like fun for the person playing and unfair to everyone else we should add some counters and not remove it entirely
There is no way to fix wizard to make it fun for anyone but the wizard, just enjoy playing it with a different perspective, where you have no individual ability to counter the wizard and should expect to die.
based
(FORMER) tgmc admin (I HAVE REGAINED MY HUMAN RIGHTS)
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #564612

oranges wrote:
I see one way to fix wizard

Remove instant killers, replace them with lmao troll abilitys

like grease for fire-ball, and curse of the cluwne for ei nath.
► Show Spoiler
mortimermcmire

Post by mortimermcmire » #564673

oranges wrote:
the way you fix wizard is randomize their loadouts or restrict their available options every round

there are a ton of really interesting spells and artifacts, yet I see the same few every single round time and again

its awesome you made some cool artifacts but are they better than jaunt and smite? hahaha no, so they'll never get picked ever (except mjolnir)

also being able to focus entirely on a single spell makes the rounds even more same-y, oh boy someone spent 3+ points on fireball, time to listen to ONI'SOMA in deadchat for the next 30 minutes
Shadowflame909

Post by Shadowflame909 » #564723

mortimermcmire wrote:
the way you fix wizard is randomize their loadouts or restrict their available options every round

there are a ton of really interesting spells and artifacts, yet I see the same few every single round time and again

its awesome you made some cool artifacts but are they better than jaunt and smite? hahaha no, so they'll never get picked ever (except mjolnir)

also being able to focus entirely on a single spell makes the rounds even more same-y, oh boy someone spent 3+ points on fireball, time to listen to ONI'SOMA in deadchat for the next 30 minutes
that spell of sapping sucks though

imagine permanently losing health in exchange for an instant cooldown refresh..

omega lul.
► Show Spoiler
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #564808

tbh raising the costs of spells very slightly but giving wizard traitor-style discounts would be pretty cool for spell diversification
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #564879

oranges wrote:
that sounds like dogma
NSFW:

mortimermcmire

Post by mortimermcmire » #564972

nianjiilical wrote:tbh raising the costs of spells very slightly but giving wizard traitor-style discounts would be pretty cool for spell diversification
its not just raising the cost of spells but ensuring you get something more than fireball deathboner every round

what if the wizard *gasp* couldn't use fireball at all
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #565050

cacogen wrote:
oranges wrote:
that sounds like dogma
It's learned experience over 7 years
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #565085

That's not true oranges - you can make it awful for everyone involved instead of everyone bar the wizard.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #565101

Animate statue, mindswap into statue

I don't care how eager people are to suck up to you and mindlessly accept your word as fact it's wrong to suggest you couldn't keep this functionality but give it counters or nerf it some other way
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #565113

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:That's not true oranges - you can make it awful for everyone involved instead of everyone bar the wizard.
ha ha damn you're right
ATHATH
In Game PermaBanned

Post by ATHATH » #565333

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:
ATHATH wrote:Mind transferring out of a cyborg body that's on Asimov IS human harm, because you know that as soon as you wake up in a body that isn't bound by the Asimov lawset, you're gonna start murderboning again. I hate hate hate hate HATE wizards who mind transfer into cyborgs and then mind transfer out again later, it's as bad as begging for a law change as an Asimov-borged antag so you can resume your murderbone.
https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=5180

No. It's not.

Silicon policy practically goes out of its way to state "preventing harm" isn't actually something you care about unless it's immediate physical violence.
what the hell

that's so dumb

im probably gonna make a policy thread about this, because hot damn, that's a bad take from the head admins there
XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #565341

ATHATH wrote:what the hell

that's so dumb

im probably gonna make a policy thread about this, because hot damn, that's a bad take from the head admins there
It's because allowing you to go "well that could potentially cause harm because it's dangerous" would allow you to bolt armoury/chem/mining/toxins roundstart as well as other iRobot shenanigans and while the ruling was made that that line of thinking was dumb - they didn't take it to the step of "okay yeah asimov is actually awful lets use a real lawset" and instead used silicon policy as a band-aid so they could keep the scifi meme.