This hulk nerf is awful

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

This hulk nerf is awful

Post by Helios » #568740

This hulk nerf is bad. Hulk has been fine for balance since 2007, but suddenly now it's a problem that hulks can punch through reinforced walls.
There was no reason for this nerf. Hulk requires the finding and combination of two specific powers, it's not an easy thing to do, and I can regularly not get it all shift.
Stop removing fun
Edit:okay that was a little harsh. My constructive criticism would be make harder to get, instead of what the current change was. Currently you just need to combine radioactivity and strength to receive Hulk.
If you were to change Hulk to require 3 powers. As in you combine radioactivity and strength, and radioactivity and stimmed, and those 2 resulting powers resulted in Hulk, you would lower the disruptive nature of Hulk on rounds while maintaining an iconic power
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: This hulk nerf is awful

Post by wesoda25 » #568744

Maybe it's just me but I don't think the difficulty of obtaining something will ever justify it being OP. I don't really think it's fair that someone can sit still for x minutes and then come out of their workplace with an unfair advantage over people who were actually interacting with other players during that time. 'Course hulk isn't that OP so I guess that argument doesn't really apply.
[this space reserved]
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #568745

Right, so.

The issue wasn't that hulk could break a reinforced wall. The issue was that hulk could keep breaking reinforced walls forever. Unless they spaced a department, it wasn't really actionable as far as adminning is concerned, but if you tried to use violence to stop a hulk tearing down your walls (keeping in mind that hulk is either immune or highly resistant to non-lethals methods) you made yourself open to be killed. This is pretty bullshit for something that genetics can mass produce and give to the entire crew.

The intention is not to make it impossible to break into areas as hulk; even the original version of the PR (which flat out removed hulk wall smashing) intentionally did not prevent smashing of doors or windows or machines. The intention is to prevent random people from injecting themselves with one of the thousands of needles lying around and deciding that the entire station will be one room.

You can still break walls (or should be able to, anyway). Reinforced walls too. But you cannot break infinite walls without medical assistance. If you're losing your arms after the first smashed wall (of any type), make a bug report, because you should be getting two reinforced walls or three regular walls smashed per arm.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #568747

Helios wrote:Hulk has been fine for balance since 2007
lol he said it with a straigth face :lol:
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #568756

you werent even born in 2007
Helios

Post by Helios » #568759

skoglol wrote:
Helios wrote:Hulk has been fine for balance since 2007
lol he said it with a straigth face :lol:
Yes. Otherwise it would have been nerfed 5 years ago instead of 2 weeks ago
skoglol
Byond Username: Skoglol
Github Username: kriskog

Post by skoglol » #568762

Actually hulk has gone back and forth a few times in the last year, granted this is the biggest backward step so far. Personally, I would have preferred removal.
Helios

Post by Helios » #568796

zxaber wrote:Right, so.

The issue wasn't that hulk could break a reinforced wall. The issue was that hulk could keep breaking reinforced walls forever. Unless they spaced a department, it wasn't really actionable as far as adminning is concerned, but if you tried to use violence to stop a hulk tearing down your walls (keeping in mind that hulk is either immune or highly resistant to non-lethals methods) you made yourself open to be killed. This is pretty bullshit for something that genetics can mass produce and give to the entire crew.
I can appreciate your concern. It's legitimate.
I can provide some alternative then. Turning wall smashing from a harm click option, to something more like the juggernaut strong attack. Something with an ability/spell cooldown. You can balance this however you want. Break a wall once a minute or whatever you want the cooldown to be
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #568798

it's been nerfed several times since I've joined, not sure what you're talking about.

health components are the best metric to get players to consider the action, cooldown doesnt make sense because its still infinite without a serious cost to the player.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #569016

Hulk is a cheap and lazy implementation of a concept that just makes you into talk funny greenman with the power to completely ignore walls in your quest to greytide like you've never greytided before

So bad, bad enough to warrant the nerf, but honestly more part of a larger problem where Geneticist sucks
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.