The Experimentor

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

The Experimentor

Post by bandit » #62345

I assume this is currently supposed to replace destructive analyizing / R&D cookbooks. But is it completely random?
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Re: The Experimentor

Post by Lumbermancer » #62350

I never achieved anything of value using Experimentor. Once it turned one worthless item into different worthless item.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #62354

Never played with it myself, but I have watched science play with it through the chemistry window on eff3. Every round, they end up with radium all over the floor, 2 explosions and a few gas releases. Never heard them yelling from the rooftops about big breakthroughs either.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #62377

Snakebutt wrote:Never played with it myself, but I have watched science play with it through the chemistry window on eff3. Every round, they end up with radium all over the floor, 2 explosions and a few gas releases. Never heard them yelling from the rooftops about big breakthroughs either.
first part seems about exactly what is supposed to happen, really.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #62486

By the way. The experimentor can release a cloud of xenomicrobes.

I'm not fucking kidding.

Nanites too

Only via gas option but its random what will trigger this shit EVERY round.

Some items dont trigger anything the experimentor really needs some work
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #63067

Also can someone please make this thing place the objects in a normal fashion i had a SHOWS THE OBJECTS TRUE NATURE and i couldn't find the object at all.

It never places items in a normal location it just seems to launch them which can lead to the items being destroyed by glitches. Instead have it eject to the right of the experimentor

Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #67148

Fun fact. the experimentor can cause meteors.
Follow up fun fact. the last 5 round I have been in had meteors come in 10 minutes into the round.

Seriously, its getting retarded.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #67152

Also xenos, one of those rounds had both xenos and meteors happen almost simultaneously.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #67274

There were aliens and nuke ops, at the same time.

10/10 this thing is beautiful.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #67279

Well screw milking slimes for the rare roburgers. Didn't they make xenomicrobes and nanites impossible to hold in containers specifically to prevent xeno-robo smoke madness? Seems to go against some really good design decisions had in the past.
Last edited by Incomptinence on Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #67302

occasionally turns random people into cyborgs so that's pretty neat

otherwise it seems to kill lots of people that are using it so that's not good ;_;
Loonikus
Byond Username: Loonicus

Post by Loonikus » #67319

I actually like the idea of this thing. I enjoy the fact that using this to up your research levels can actually be dangerous as opposed to the scavenger hunt. Those strange objects people find in Maint are perfect for shoving in this thing.

However, I would still consider making the benefits of using it more obvious or more immediately rewarding. Some of the things it can do are pretty dangerous (xenos, meteors, etc.) so the rewards it can give should better reflect that.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #67324

Loonikus wrote:I actually like the idea of this thing. I enjoy the fact that using this to up your research levels can actually be dangerous as opposed to the scavenger hunt. Those strange objects people find in Maint are perfect for shoving in this thing.

However, I would still consider making the benefits of using it more obvious or more immediately rewarding. Some of the things it can do are pretty dangerous (xenos, meteors, etc.) so the rewards it can give should better reflect that.
>Try every option 20 times on a strange object
>Nothing happens. Nothing Happens. Nothing happens. It gets thrown out of the machine. Nothing happens Nothing happens Nothing happens. Nothing happens.
>It gets destroyed
>Insert next strange object and repeat
I have no idea how this is supposed to work but I cant get it to do ANYTHING.
Methelod

Post by Methelod » #67342

In it's current state, all the experimentor is useful for is griefing people. The most useful thing I've seen it do (And it is VERY rare compared to all of the bad instances) is that it'll upgrade a part that you throw in it. Oh, and make pets. On the other hand it turns people into xenos, cyborgs, irradiates them, summons meteors, damages them, releases gas, destroy the item that's in it for no apparent reason, EMP the area around RnD. Often breaking the consoles nearby.

At the very least it needs more upsides to actually using it. I know there is a function to discover the true purpose of the strange objects but that's currently bugged and even then. Meteors and aliens fuck up the station, but what does the experimentor have to contribute to the station as a whole? If you wanted to make it more useful for science, give it shit that only it can make, like new mech parts, or upgraded versions of some items.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #67401

Methelod wrote:In it's current state, all the experimentor is useful for is griefing people. The most useful thing I've seen it do (And it is VERY rare compared to all of the bad instances) is that it'll upgrade a part that you throw in it. Oh, and make pets. On the other hand it turns people into xenos, cyborgs, irradiates them, summons meteors, damages them, releases gas, destroy the item that's in it for no apparent reason, EMP the area around RnD. Often breaking the consoles nearby.

At the very least it needs more upsides to actually using it. I know there is a function to discover the true purpose of the strange objects but that's currently bugged and even then. Meteors and aliens fuck up the station, but what does the experimentor have to contribute to the station as a whole? If you wanted to make it more useful for science, give it shit that only it can make, like new mech parts, or upgraded versions of some items.
This is very true. You'll frequently hear shouting from science about something going terribly wrong, but not once has there been a cry of 'EUREKA' and waving some beautiful shiny new thing around.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #67458

Also the weird usage of what happens to the item. IT THRASHES IT VISCERATES IT IS CRUSHED. And the thing is fine.

Also REPEATED EMPS blow up the rds consoles and can fuck up the machinery in the research lab royally

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #67494

The Experimentor has very few rewards because it was originally meant as a replacement from the Destructive Analyzer. TeleScience was removed at the same time it was put up in a PR, so instead of TWO heavy nerfs to the fun of Science, coderbus opted to simply replace TeleSci with the Experimentor. All in all, the Experimentor is simply a DA that kills you. Sawu (the coder for it) ragequit, so I took up the task of fixing it. The fixes to relic scanning are merged but not on the server yet. When someone uses the machine while I am playing as RD, I simply order him to move the setup to the testing lab where it will do less damage. I do agree that it needs to give some better rewards in return for all the DEATH it causes.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #67497

Sos threatened to go into the code and manually remove the thing next update after he heard about the meteor storm incident.

This thing is ridiculous. No subtlety at all. And keeps finding ways to grind the server to a halt.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #67498

Holy shit, whatever you do Gunhog, just make sure that an negative side effects ONLY EFFECT SHIT IN THE SAME ROOM AS IT.

Seriously, having half of science getting emp'd (destroying all the consoles in the RD office and wiping any unsaved research from R&D) 20 times is pretty awful.
Not to mention meteor storm for the 10th time in a row.

Then scientists have the gall to get angry at ME for stopping them from literally ass fucking the station by using it more.
callanrockslol
Byond Username: Callanrockslol

Post by callanrockslol » #67520

Crazy idea, but what if it had a load of different effects based on what type of thing was in it, plasma would tend to behave extremely weirdly in every circumstance, biological stuff would create life/turn you into shit/drain your blood to improve itself, power cells would be boring etc

Poking things would have different results than burning would, stuff like that.
The most excessive signature on /tg/station13.

Still not even at the limit after 8 fucking years.
Spoiler:
Urist Boatmurdered [Security] asks, "Why does Zol have a captain-level ID?"
Zol Interbottom [Security] says, "because"

Sergie Borris lives on in our hearts

Zaros (No id) [145.9] says, "WITH MY SUPER WIZARD POWERS I CAN TELL CALLAN IS MAD."
Anderson Conagher wrote:Callan is sense.
Errorage wrote:When I see the win vista, win 7 and win 8 hourglass cursor, it makes me happy
Cause it's a circle spinning around
I smile and make circular motions with my finger to imiatate it
petethegoat wrote:slap a comment on it and call it a feature
MisterPerson wrote:>playing
Do you think this is a game?
Gun Hog wrote:Untested code baby
oranges wrote:for some reason all our hosts turn into bohemia software communities after they implode
Malkevin wrote:I was the only one that voted for you Callan.
Miggles wrote:>centration development
>trucking
ill believe it when snakes grow arms and strangle me with them

OOC: Aranclanos: that sounds like ooc in ooc related to ic to be ooc and confuse the ic
OOC: Dionysus24779: We're nearing a deep philosophical extistential level

Admin PM from-Jordie0608: 33-Jan-2552| Warned: Is a giraffe dork ~tony abbott

OOC: Saegrimr: That wasn't a call to pray right now callan jesus christ you're fast.

OOC: Eaglendia: Glad I got to see the rise, fall, rise, and fall of Zol

OOC: Armhulenn: CALLAN
OOC: Armhulenn: YOU MELTED MY FUCKING REVOLVER
OOC: Armhulenn: AND THEN
OOC: Armhulenn: GAVE ME MELTING MELONS
OOC: Armhulenn: GOD FUCKING BLESS YOU
OOC: Armhulenn: you know what's hilarious though
OOC: Armhulenn: I melted ANOTHER TRAITOR'S REVOLVER AFTER THAT

7/8/2016 never forget
Armhulen wrote:
John_Oxford wrote:>implying im not always right
all we're saying is that you're not crag son
bandit wrote:we already have a punishment for using our code for your game, it's called using our code for your game
The evil holoparasite user I can't believe its not DIO and his holoparasite I can't believe its not Skub have been defeated by the Spacedust Crusaders, but what has been taken from the station can never be returned.

OOC: TheGel: Literally a guy in a suit with a shuttle full of xenos. That's a doozy
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #67589

The thing definitely needs work its so extremely basic its disgusting.

Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #67593

"B-but you can do R&D with it!"

It's so wildly inefficient in what it does that literally the only purpose is to repeatedly EMP til you've broken every console in the RD's office and then just exploit meteor showers until you get lynched/banned. I have never seen notable progress be contributed to R&D by this machine.

Meteors have been detected on collision course with the station
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #67685

I will soon be nerfing the EMP range so it does not shut down the RD office or the main research lab, it might still be able to trip the fire alarm or zap a few cameras. I am also replacing the meteor event with FIREBALLS! Scientists have their PDA ringtone set to *boom* for a reason! It is strongly urged to have a :medbot: nearby (but not too close or it will be destroyed!) for when it happens. It has the same chance as the meteor trigger, so do be careful.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #67789

Gun Hog wrote:I will soon be nerfing the EMP range so it does not shut down the RD office or the main research lab, it might still be able to trip the fire alarm or zap a few cameras. I am also replacing the meteor event with FIREBALLS! Scientists have their PDA ringtone set to *boom* for a reason! It is strongly urged to have a :medbot: nearby (but not too close or it will be destroyed!) for when it happens. It has the same chance as the meteor trigger, so do be careful.
So its any random item that triggers shit right?

So like insert a analyzer and it releases xenomicrobe gas? Or did you remove xenomicrobes

Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #75117

I really, really love this addition.

Maybe you could have the Experimentor produce a waste item that inherits the original item's research levels and raises one of them by one or rarely two levels if the experiment was a success? That would be a very nice alternative way to max out research levels.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #75121

Xenomicrobes are removed, replace with sulfuric acid in the "Gas" mode. The Fireballs event only happens if you choose the "Heat" mode.

And...HOLY MOTHER OF POLY, it is Tokiko! :surprised: To answer your question, the Experimentor does this when it sucks your blood. It is possible to gain levels that are not possible any other way through this. It comes at obviously high risk, though. Fireballs, getting your face dissolved, the machine eating the item, etc.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #75122

Gun Hog wrote:Xenomicrobes are removed, replace with sulfuric acid in the "Gas" mode. The Fireballs event only happens if you choose the "Heat" mode.

And...HOLY MOTHER OF POLY, it is Tokiko! :surprised: To answer your question, the Experimentor does this when it sucks your blood. It is possible to gain levels that are not possible any other way through this. It comes at obviously high risk, though. Fireballs, getting your face dissolved, the machine eating the item, etc.
The problem is its just a shitty dangerous research console now. You can do all your research easily without problem and without looking at odd messages, Gnashes Viscerates destroyed. Etc

Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #75125

Talkin' about Strange Objects real quick

These things are sort of silly and could benefit from rebalancing. Especially the explosive one - Not only is the explosion actually pretty big, but it won't destroy the object. We had a round where people kept wandering in, grabbing the object, exploding, and leaving it for the next poor soul.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #75131

Scones wrote:Talkin' about Strange Objects real quick

These things are sort of silly and could benefit from rebalancing. Especially the explosive one - Not only is the explosion actually pretty big, but it won't destroy the object. We had a round where people kept wandering in, grabbing the object, exploding, and leaving it for the next poor soul.
Working as intended.
[youtube]dCeD2gF9jUo[/youtube]
Babin
Byond Username: Babin

Post by Babin » #75148

soulgamer wrote:
Scones wrote:Talkin' about Strange Objects real quick

Working as intended.
The video fits Scones' description so well that I need to say it's a feature.
Last edited by Babin on Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #75379

Well, except it makes holes, too, right?
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #75381

That's a hilarious video that fits it well. That said, it's far less funny when it get triggered 5 times, between science and medbay, and everything is exposed to space, and everyone is crying bitter tears because retards keep activating it.

It's even less funny when some shitler gets the mob spawning on, then proceeds to spawns swarms of lethal mobs ALL ROUND.
soulgamer

Post by soulgamer » #75404

lumipharon wrote:That's a hilarious video that fits it well. That said, it's far less funny when it get triggered 5 times, between science and medbay, and everything is exposed to space, and everyone is crying bitter tears because retards keep activating it.

It's even less funny when some shitler gets the mob spawning on, then proceeds to spawns swarms of lethal mobs ALL ROUND.
so change to the explosions to be like welder bombs were. They gib the person or at least kill them and make a single hole to space.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #75455

>see random object on the ground
>gibs you

Or alternatively:
>Use experimentor
>activate the object you unlocked
>gibbed

Yeah, nah.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #75458

Too dangerous far too dangerous. Spawned space bears when I was AI, like 4-5 civilians critted some runnning some fighting. That was only one of the bears, it actually spawned 2 the second was trapped with the experimentor.
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #75510

lumipharon wrote:>see random object on the ground
>gibs you

Or alternatively:
>Use experimentor
>activate the object you unlocked
>gibbed

Yeah, nah.
Yeah, that doesn't sound fun to me.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #75784

Seems to me that all these problems could be fixed if you could activate the experimentor from outside of the danger zone and if a second, smaller machine was added just to discern the effects of a strange object without having to risk killing yourself and everyone else.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #75787

That's not really the issue. The experimentor itself (now that the xbox huge emp, meteors etc are gone) is not the issue. At worst some chucklefuck will blow up the experimentor lab, but that doesn't really effect anything else.
The issue is when they unlock the strange objects, then roam the halls griefing with them.

The worst ones are:
UNLIMITED explosive
UNLIMITED hostile mob spawner
UNLIMITED mob spawner (sometimes hostile)
UNLIMITED blind drive thing
UNLIMITED flashbang

Seriously, stahp.
Loonikus

Post by Loonikus » #75793

Right. Exactly why I'd say that having a way to determine a strange objects use would be good. That way unless your a no good shitter you can isolate bad objects and lock them away so they will never hurt anyone or be used for evil.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #75859

Only the explosive one gets used repeatedly, accidentally. The rest literally just exist as grief tools.They should be limited use or not exist - filling the station with bears, carp and bees is real shit.
AnonymousNow
Byond Username: AnonymousNow

Post by AnonymousNow » #76402

There still need to be super powerful effects and game-changers available through the Experimentor, but rare as hen's teeth.

Like, re-add xenomicrobes and similarly disruptive effects, but make it so that they'll only pop up once in every 25 rounds or so that an Experimentor is fully played with.
Hornygranny wrote:It's not your codebase. It's our codebase. You can imply soft power as much as you want, but you don't have it. Division between the server and project is absolute. I'm not interested in reading dezzmont platitudes for the billionth time and won't be checking back in this thread.

Spoiler:
~Simplified for the sake of Wyzack's delicate feelings~
Fuck anti-roleplay suggestions and fuck Bay.

Xenomorphs a shit.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #76454

What I would like to do is implement a light version of Rapid Prototyping (https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/627) and repurpose the relics into unique modules that modify a prototype in unique or stronger ways than pure research would. Perhaps something such as using the Experimentor to deconstruct a laser gun to get a module that applies burn type damage, or the RD's reactive armor to get the base module, after which he can apply that effect to another prototype device.

Essentially, it would move the Experimentor from being a DA that kills you to the machine that lets you make items to modify your prototype items (and kills you). It would be a beast of a project to do, though.
Miauw
Byond Username: Miauw62

Post by Miauw » #76465

unlimited mob spawner is basically an infinite meat fountain for the chef, too.
<wb> For one, the spaghetti is killing me. It's everywhere in food code, and makes it harder to clean those up.
<Tobba> I stared into BYOND and it farted