Ripley is ineffective on asteroid how do we fix it?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Ripley is ineffective on asteroid how do we fix it?

Post by Bombadil » #64440

I know you can add goliath plates but it already gets fucking wrecked. Maybe switch the firefighter ripley and normal ripley recipes around. Give it more armor and make Hydrauloc clamps do more damage or maybe increase drillor hydraulic damage. You can't really dodge or run in a fight when in a ripley as it doesnt have ranged attacks
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: Ripley is ineffective on asteroid how do we fix it?

Post by MMMiracles » #64446

A Ripley can tank a Goliath without armor and still come out with around 50% integrity, which is easily repaired with a welder. The only thing that requires more fine work is a hive Lord, past that Ripleys do a pretty decent job at fighting the other mobs as long as you're willing to hop out every 1-2 mobs for a quick repair.

I never had an issue with mob combat in them on the asteroid so I don't see the problem here. Wouldn't hate some kind of mech-based kinetic accelerator attachment though for ranged damage, maybe make it deal more for the speed tradeoff from using a mech.
Last edited by MMMiracles on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #64447

Mech versions of the Mining tools would be cool. Like a Resonator that spawns a 3x3 square of bubbles ahead of the mech, or an Accelerator with increased range/damage/rate of fire.

At the very least a build-in Mining Scanner that always shows ores would be really cool.
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #64451

ripley is hella effective on asteroid. drill in straight lines and run away to avoid gibtonite (you just escape the blast radius, and get a great explosion too).

versus basilisks, you're in a mech so cold is nothing to you. run up to them and drill them, ded
versus goliaths, run up to them and keep drilling them, don't stop drilling until you see the whites of their eyes. and smell the scent of their hair. and taste the sweetness of their lips. and feel the heat of their skin pressed against yours, trembling as you--

versus hivelords, eject --> apply pickaxe. hivelords are awful when you're in a mech, because the drill takes so long to work.. but when you're on foot, just whack the small hivelord things with your mining tool and chase the big one down. the worst thing it can do is kite you into another mob.

tldr use your drill, after every fight get out and repair it with a welding tool (bring two if you like).

Advanced Mining Scanner is basically what you just suggested alex; it pings every few seconds and highlights all the ores
an auto-loading accelerator would be cool though I gotta admit
Image Image Image
Alex Crimson
Byond Username: Dazbuzz

Post by Alex Crimson » #64454

I know about that scanner, but i was thinking more along the lines of a Ripley having a built-in ability to show all ores, like the good old days. Rather than a ping every few seconds.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #64466

I think the lights being on drains power, maybe they shouldn't for the Ripley, or really really really low drain.
soulgamer
Byond Username: Soulgamergod

Post by soulgamer » #64478

Alex Crimson wrote:I know about that scanner, but i was thinking more along the lines of a Ripley having a built-in ability to show all ores, like the good old days. Rather than a ping every few seconds.
Honestly that just needs to be removed period. Its shit.
Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #64479

Lights are a nonissue for mech, you have 20+ mins of power with lights and air nonstop mining.

Real problems are getting fucked by hivelords and needing an advanced scanner to mine with it.

The problems with ripley are NOTHING compared to problem with mining borg though, which is outright unplayable.
Scones
Byond Username: Scones

Post by Scones » #64481

Snakebutt wrote: The problems with ripley are NOTHING compared to problem with mining borg though, which is outright unplayable.
What's wrong with it? Played it the other day, felt pretty strong. There's a bit of module-juggling you have to do but I honestly had a good time. Goliaths were a cakewalk with my speed.
plplplplp WOOOOooo hahahhaha
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #64528

Ripley also has the enjoyment of RND drill or clamp being destroyed mid fight

Snakebutt

Post by Snakebutt » #64561

Cecily wrote:
Snakebutt wrote: The problems with ripley are NOTHING compared to problem with mining borg though, which is outright unplayable.
What's wrong with it? Played it the other day, felt pretty strong. There's a bit of module-juggling you have to do but I honestly had a good time. Goliaths were a cakewalk with my speed.
A bit of module juggling? You have exactly ONE module to play with. One module mesons, one module lights so you dont get eaten, one for drill. Swap drill, grab bag. Swap bag, grab scanner. Ping scanner. Get ambushe, grab accellerator. Forget where ores were, grab scanner. Drill again.

Meanwhile a human just has to swap scanner and bag occasionall, not at all after nabbing an advanced scanner.

Miningborg needs mesonvision without a module, if not thermal mesons(in module), and a togglable light.
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #64603

modules you need:
your drill of choice (you can only get diamond drill from emag)
mining scanner
mining satchel
lantern/flashlight
mesons

maybe this:
diamond drill borg upgrade from robotics (like the vtec)
emagging a mining borg gives them thermal meson-vision
all borgs have built-in lights that don't need a module but drain a little power
when a mining borg walks over ores, it automatically picks them up and puts them in its mining bag (like janiborg and walking over dirt)
so your 3 modules can be:
drill
mesons
scanner

if you run into a goliath, swap a module to your kinetic accelerator
Image Image Image
Somejerk
Byond Username: Somejerk

Post by Somejerk » #64609

I know of another server that put the mesons in the HUD modifications where Sec and Health are, why don't we do that?
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #64611

Even if ripley is workable a bit more advantage might be needed to bring them back into common usage.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #64617

How about we give the ripley the old mesons that allowed us to see where shit was without pressing a fucking button. Give the ripley 2x damage for clamps against the xenos on asteroid because drill is too finnicky. Perhaps increase the damage in no oxygen environments.

It would make the ripley actually workable on asteroid right now if you face a goliath. With rng on your side you can get your tank rupture or your drill or clamp destroyer

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64625

Meh, so long as you wear mesons and keep an advanced scanner in your pockets that's no problem.
The problem is fighting mining mobs.

Give us a mounted mining shotty, maybe one that hits three tiles at once, or has greater range.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #64629

The Ripley is okay, but there needs to be a better way to fight mobs than just melee, because like a lot of people have mentioned it leaves you in the hands of the RNG. Mining borg is managable if you do tasks one at a time. Patrol a cavern with lantern, accelerator, and drill/jackhammer. Once cleared, put up your lantern and accelerator and then take out your mesons and mining scanner. Mine the shit out of the cavern, and when your ready replace the drill with your satchel and pick it up, tossing it in a crate to send station side.
~lighter than Aire~
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #65186

Another problem is roboticists hate making it at roundstart because muh wasted metal and glass. Perhaps reduce cost?

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #65193

I was going to make the RIPLEY faster at some point, but I gave up due to not getting git.

Now that I got to get git, I might as well make it faster again. Maybe with a kinetic accellerator attatchment or something. Do they have those yet?
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #65209

Violaceus wrote:Ripley should move faster in 0 pressure areas, same reasoning as with kinetic accelerators and other mining stuff.
This is actually a pretty good idea.
I also have to agree with everyone else that the ripley itself should have some kind of "sensor suite" making it better for mining, the whole idea is that its supposed to be an expensive upgrade to mining as it takes so time to research (or order the parts) and then find a willing robotisct to make.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #65289

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:I was going to make the RIPLEY faster at some point, but I gave up due to not getting git.

Now that I got to get git, I might as well make it faster again. Maybe with a kinetic accellerator attatchment or something. Do they have those yet?
They don't. If you make it move faster in 0 pressure environments and give it 3 slots for a accelerator, drill, and clamps then it would actually be good. (It only has 2 slots for drill and clamp atm and the clamp is vital so you have storage for the ore you mine)

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65291

I could have sworn the Ripley had three slots, the third for the gravitic catapult.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #65413

DemonFiren wrote:I could have sworn the Ripley had three slots, the third for the gravitic catapult.
Really? I'm sure it only has 2 equipment slots

DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #65475

This merits testing!

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Vigilare

Post by Vigilare » #65707

it's got 3

you can put a repair droid on there in that last slot
Image Image Image
Actionb
Byond Username: Actionb

Post by Actionb » #66230

More speed in zero gravity (or in the case of the asteroid: in atmosphereless environment) would be great. Everything else about the ripley is fine; mining chill-mode. Mines three tiles at once, picks everything up automatically. Not as fast as a drugged-up miner with diamond drill, but not too slow either. All you need to purchase is an auto-scanner.
Ripley doesn't need a ranged weapon against mining mobs either. Keep spamming the drill and goliaths only get a couple of hits in - easily repaired with a welder. Who the fuck kites while in a mech?! Time spent turning around is time wasted not killing.