Detective's Shoulder Holster

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Detective's Shoulder Holster

Post by Lumbermancer » #64626

I see no practical purpose for this item. It fills the belt slot, adding nothing of value, making you need to click more to get your revolver out.

So, it's for fashion and style? I can get behind that, I was the proponent of giving Detective his own waistcoat after all. But it doesn't work too. If you wear coat, the holster is carried over the coat (holster sprite is drawn on the coat), which looks stupid and impractical. And if it would be hidden under coat, it would make the item even less relevant.

So, let's wear it without coat. Just on shirt, or on shirt with waistcoat. It looks neat, I like it. But you sacrifice the protection of the coat for purely visual benefit, and lack of armor slot.

So my idea to make holster better is moving it to exosuit slot. That would give two additional slots, one in holster, for gun, and one in armor slot; for speedloader or flashlight or cuffs or anything. More space (and more style) for less protection. Fair tradeoff, since detective is meant to be investigator primarily.

I would roll like this.
Last edited by Lumbermancer on Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: Detective's Shoulder Holster

Post by DemonFiren » #64627

I always thought the detective's gun coud be put in the suit slot anyway.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #64628

It can be put in suit slot, that's how I carry it. But when shoulder holster is added, we might as well improve it, right?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #64640

If you're forced to wear the holster in the exosuit slot instead of the coat that the gun fits on, anyway, no one will use the holster.

I still say, make it a clip-on, Bay-style.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
mrpain
Byond Username: Mrpain666

Post by mrpain » #64780

Just let it use the belt slot in addition to the suit slot.
/vg/station Head Admin
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #64786

This is really just more evidence that belts should not be outside suits because of how retarded it looks
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #64861

Are you talking only about sprite visibility, or hiding them all the way under jumpsuit, like exosuit does?
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #64894

I agree with Pap on this one, it doesn't make much sense anyways and looks pretty dumb. The problem with allowing it to clip to the jumpsuit like bay does is that it is the only item that can add storage to your jumpsuit and is therefore pretty snowflakey, likely from a code standpoint as well.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #65086

paprika wrote:This is really just more evidence that belts should not be outside suits because of how retarded it looks
The problem comes when you have belts that have a reason to be outside of or over a given suit. Engineering rig suits would need the belt outside of the suit because there's no reasonable way to expect an engineer to get to the tools otherwise, for example.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #65091

Who really cares when it looks better anyway?

Technically hardsuits hide your belt slot anyway. Try to strip the belt off someone who is wearing a hardsuit -- IIRC you can't. No reason for it to be outside of the hardsuit. Yes, you can still access your tools even if it's inside your hardsuit, but like, who cares about things like that when it looks more visually appealing and less mindfuck since you can't strip a belt off of someone with a hardsuit?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #66270

At the very least this a couple of slots added to it for carrying small items like speedloaders, cigs, and zippo, maybe even pepper spray.

Just make it a holster with a belt