Audio range increase + falloff feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Audio range increase + falloff feedback

Post by Qustinnus » #579582

If you have any feedback on the new changes to audio please post them here.

For anyone who hasnt really noticed; the changes are basically:
You hear sound from almost 3 times as far (barring some), and sound falloff was completely re-done
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: Audio range increase + falloff feedback

Post by Armhulen » #579592

This has been just fantastic. Another great addition floydobuddy!
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #584921

Is this the change that allowed me to hear carp scrolling being used from multiple rooms across, or hearing nukies try to stealth kill me as AI? It's garbage and has killed off any subtlety. Any attempt at stealth is immediately subverted by being heard by someone 3 rooms away from you. Shit sucks man :(
trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #584923

pugie wrote:Is this the change that allowed me to hear carp scrolling being used from multiple rooms across, or hearing nukies try to stealth kill me as AI? It's garbage and has killed off any subtlety. Any attempt at stealth is immediately subverted by being heard by someone 3 rooms away from you. Shit sucks man :(
Walking makes no footstep sound
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #584958

I love it.

For one, it makes the station feel more alive. I'm honestly shocked about how much activity happens on the station. The station used to always feel so vast and underpopulated, even on fullpop. Now when the station is really empty, you *feel* it.

As for stealth, I think it's a major improvement. In the past, murders and violence were basically silent unless you were in the same room. Now it's more dynamic. Now, people will hear sound of a gunshot or a scream they can investigate. Detectives can interview people nearby who heard a struggle but didn't witness the murder. I think that this increased detection radius might allow for some buffs to strengthen noisier weapons. After all, a gun might crit someone in a shot or two, but you'll need to act fast before curious crewmembers arrive on-scene.
► Show Spoiler
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #584963

I think overall it makes everything too noisy and too busy and being able to adjust the volume of it or a toggle would be greatly appreciated.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #584977

Aside from the reverb which is sometimes excessive and cuts off abruptly when you move between sound environments I'd forgotten these audio changes were made. Which I guess makes them natural and unobtrusive. I'm not discounting the possibility of an effect on whatever stealth this game has though where light goes through walls and you have a full 360 degree field of view while being shortsighted enough to qualify as legally blind.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

pugie

Post by pugie » #585028

Walking makes no footstep sound
I know this but what does this have to do with moving in sat, this isn't bar. I don't just run around in sat dreaming about drinking irl i want to kill ai.
trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #585052

pugie wrote:
trollbreeder wrote:Walking makes no footstep sound
I know this but what does this have to do with moving in sat, this isn't bar. I don't just run around in sat dreaming about drinking irl i want to kill ai.
I don't think you understood correctly. You press the "run" button on your UI to change it to "walk"
Then while walking you make no footstep sounds, so you can quietly get to the AI's weak point to murder it, attempting to make no other sounds (hardsuit, backpack, turrets, etc)
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
pugie

Post by pugie » #585053

I don't think you understand how literally impossible it is to kill ai without any tools other than walk button.

Audio changes are good other than ai hearing everything happening in a 100m radius, every windoor opening, grenade primed, etc.
Last edited by pugie on Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #585056

pugie wrote:I don't think you understand how literally impossible it is to kill ai without any tools other than walk button.

Audio chamges are good other than ai hearing everything happening in a 100m radius, every windoor opening, grenade primed, etc.
If you're using grenades you might as well cross stealth out as an option

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
pugie

Post by pugie » #585070

trollbreeder wrote:
pugie wrote:I don't think you understand how literally impossible it is to kill ai without any tools other than walk button.

Audio chamges are good other than ai hearing everything happening in a 100m radius, every windoor opening, grenade primed, etc.
You're missing the point I'm making again. Also merry christmas :)
trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #585071

pugie wrote:
trollbreeder wrote:

You're missing the point I'm making again. Also merry christmas :)
Then what is the point

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
pugie

Post by pugie » #585077

It's pretty simple. Any sound in a gorillion square meter radius can be heard, so ai just returns to core and says 'NUKIES'

This isn't even a complaint made from a nuke op perspective. I am AI and I hear literally ANYTHING happening on my sat every windoor opening, airlock, screwdrivering of an airlock. Don't latch onto my example of grenades please.
Jimmius
Byond Username: Jimmius

Post by Jimmius » #585080

i like hearing clown shoes honk down the halls, i dislike how half the time i'm in a 3x2 room and it echoes like i'm in an aircraft hangar.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #585087

Walls should really be better at blocking sound imo. Also that weird thing when you open a door and enter a new sound environment should be changed, it creates really intense echos for a second.
[this space reserved]
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #585096

It'd be epic if there were a lot of modifiers for hearing (say, helmets would reduce your range, and AIs can't hear as far as most) but that also sounds really hard to do. If only!
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #585612

confused rock wrote:It'd be epic if there were a lot of modifiers for hearing (say, helmets would reduce your range, and AIs can't hear as far as most) but that also sounds really hard to do. If only!
not really hard to do actually, might be a fun pr to do in the future