Hypertorus Fusion Reactor (HFR)

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Ghilker
Byond Username: Ghilker

Hypertorus Fusion Reactor (HFR)

Post by Ghilker » #580880

It's currently Test Merged on Terry (planning to ask for all servers)
Please post questions, opinions, suggestions and ideas here about it

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/54379
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Re: Hypertorus Fusion Reactor (HFR)

Post by thehogshotgun » #580916

What benefit does fusion give me? What do I get for putting all the work in?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #580921

thehogshotgun wrote:What benefit does fusion give me? What do I get for putting all the work in?
You get fusion hello?
thehogshotgun
Byond Username: Thehogshotgun

Post by thehogshotgun » #580925

Armhulen wrote:
thehogshotgun wrote:What benefit does fusion give me? What do I get for putting all the work in?
You get fusion hello?
This is why I never got fusion. Why do I care? It is too much effort for too little I feel
Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #580935

Other than heat, you get the ability to create almost every gas in the atmos list. From the easy ones to the harder ones like stim, Nitryl and the new ones.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #580936

If you want more people to use this nonsense you should write a guide for dumbfucks, the ADD and the gay

Edit: I see you wrote a .docx which is a nice start and makes me feel like this won't be more 2deep4u deliberately opaque fuckery

Edit2: cringe pass, please update your quotes
Last edited by cacogen on Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #580944

can you add a scrollbar and have the important vars in top instead of bottom? i have to full screen the window to be able to touch the vars
Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #580947

cacogen wrote:You want people to use this nonsense you'll write a guide for dumbfucks, the ADD and the pathologically lazy.

Edit: I see that you wrote a high frame rate doctor x which is a nice start and makes me feel like this won't be more 2deep4u deliberately opaque metaclique fuckery
Yeah I'm currently working on a basic guide on how to setup and use the machine without melting it, but that'll come later for a good guide.
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:can you add a scrollbar and have the important vars in top instead of bottom? i have to full screen the window to be able to touch the vars
You can scroll the content of the GUI with the scroll wheel, I think that having the reactor main parameters on top is best for avoiding bad surprises
Tlaltecuhtli
Byond Username: Tlaltecuhtli

Post by Tlaltecuhtli » #580952

Ghilker wrote:
Tlaltecuhtli wrote:can you add a scrollbar and have the important vars in top instead of bottom? i have to full screen the window to be able to touch the vars
You can scroll the content of the GUI with the scroll wheel, I think that having the reactor main parameters on top is best for avoiding bad surprises
i dont have a scroll wheel and the parameters are at the bottom not at the top
Kassori
Byond Username: Kassori

Post by Kassori » #581012

I played with it a bit this morning, until somebody flooded it with 95% O2 and we couldn't figure out how to dismantle it. How do?
pfp by AspEv
Kassori
Byond Username: Kassori

Post by Kassori » #581024

Removed before I got to play with it more, am very sad
pfp by AspEv
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #581030

Very cool, wish there was a good spot to set it up though on the station somewhere in atmospherics. Possibly some sort of blank project area for this or other projects that engineer/atmos techs want to set up would be really cool like how Chemistry gets their large plumbing area.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #581060

Does it produce gas so broken again that it melts the entire station with million degrees hot air?

Otherwise I don't want it.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #581067

Domitius wrote:Very cool, wish there was a good spot to set it up though on the station somewhere in atmospherics. Possibly some sort of blank project area for this or other projects that engineer/atmos techs want to set up would be really cool like how Chemistry gets their large plumbing area.
Maybe i'll do some map change after november to add some kind of "testing room"
CPTANT wrote:Does it produce gas so broken again that it melts the entire station with million degrees hot air?

Otherwise I don't want it.
Is fixed
Ghilker

Post by Ghilker » #581825

Hypertorus has been merged
Please leave suggestions and feedback to improve/fix the machine
Waseemq1235
Byond Username: Waseemq1235

Post by Waseemq1235 » #587208

Last time I used the HFR I noticed that the waste filtration freezes up when the reactor runs out of fuel. This basically defeats the purpose of waiting for the thing to cool down so you can extract the gas while it's not hotter than the fucking sun. Not sure if this is intended, but looks like a bug to me.

Edit: Oh and, I'm really with the idea of having the HFR reactor already built from the round start because building it is a stupidly demanding task that is boring as all shit and very time-consuming. Plus, if all the materials are there, why not just have it built already?
kopoba
Byond Username: Kopoba

Post by kopoba » #587558

making trit and h2 also pain in ass can we have some canisters or mix ready to start HRF engine shiftstart? like when you get h2 and trit + build HRF if you lucky. Station already shithole with wizards + traitors + heretics + ninja + dragon + cult + demons and couple more guys that want to kill you and shuttle called 10 minutes ago.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #587577

kopoba wrote:making trit and h2 also pain in ass can we have some canisters or mix ready to start HRF engine shiftstart? like when you get h2 and trit + build HRF if you lucky. Station already shithole with wizards + traitors + heretics + ninja + dragon + cult + demons and couple more guys that want to kill you and shuttle called 10 minutes ago.
it's meant to be hard, stop asking to remove parts of the gameplay because you're sick of repeating it all the time
kopoba

Post by kopoba » #587578

oranges wrote:
kopoba wrote:making trit and h2 also pain in ass can we have some canisters or mix ready to start HRF engine shiftstart? like when you get h2 and trit + build HRF if you lucky. Station already shithole with wizards + traitors + heretics + ninja + dragon + cult + demons and couple more guys that want to kill you and shuttle called 10 minutes ago.
it's meant to be hard, stop asking to remove parts of the gameplay because you're sick of repeating it all the time
Nah i will be asking whatever i want. And i think this changes will be good for gameplay since you will get actual result of working HRF faster and more time to use the results of your work.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #587584

I hope you take a long walk of a short pier
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #587589

oranges wrote: it's meant to be hard, stop asking to remove parts of the gameplay because you're sick of repeating it all the time
Is it wrong to want to change something that's desirable to repeat each round when it's a huge pain to do so? It seems to me it should be less desirable, or easier, or harder, to get out of an uncanny valley where it's easy enough to be feasible to do each round and desirable enough to want to do each round yet hard enough to be a shitty thing to feel compelled to do each round. The muh freedom response is one people have given me in the past when I've said things like this about other stuff, which is due to a lack of understanding of or appreciation for how incentives encourage players to do something even when it's a shitty thing to ask them to do. In the commentary for Human Revolution they talk about a locker room that has a comical amount of lockers as a joke and imply it'd be too much to ask players to search through in every locker room.

Saying this though I've never set up the donut and have never felt compelled to. I'm not sure what it's actually like never having it used it but what I wrote above reminds me of that useless fucking soap recipe that gives you a shitty soap that is in no way worth the time or effort that some asshole added to trick you into thinking you were making something special (not understanding this is what they were doing).
NSFW:

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #587590

oranges wrote: it's meant to be hard, stop asking to remove parts of the gameplay because you're sick of repeating it all the time
Is it wrong to want to change something that's desirable to repeat each round when it's a huge pain to do so? It seems to me it should be less desirable, or easier, or harder, to get out of an uncanny valley where it's easy enough to be feasible to do each round and desirable enough to want to do each round yet hard enough to be a shitty thing to feel compelled to do each round. The muh freedom response is one people have given me in the past when I've said things like this about other stuff, which is due to a lack of understanding of or appreciation for how incentives encourage players to do something even when it's a shitty thing to ask them to do. In the commentary for Human Revolution they talk about a locker room that has a comical amount of lockers as a joke and imply it'd be too much to ask players to search through in every locker room.

Saying this though I've never set up the donut and have never felt compelled to so maybe it isn't a case of above. That janitor's soap secret recipe paper that gives you something that isn't worth the time or effort after tricking you into thinking it will be is though.
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #587613

it is feasible to do most rounds, the problem here is that this dude has done it so many times he's bored of the steps and wants to remove some of them because for him the reward is better than the process of getting there.

That sounds reasonable on first look, but the problem is he's actually making the game less interesting for the people following behind who haven't done any of the steps before, as now they don't have to learn half of them.

It's a cancerous train of thought that leads to casualisation of game design and it traps you in a local gully of bad game design where you can't evolve the process of getting there because people keep undermining it after having done it for 3 weeks on repeat until they're bored of it.
kopoba

Post by kopoba » #587654

oranges wrote:I hope you take a long walk of a short pier
oranges wrote:it is feasible to do most rounds, the problem here is that this dude has done it so many times he's bored of the steps and wants to remove some of them because for him the reward is better than the process of getting there.

That sounds reasonable on first look, but the problem is he's actually making the game less interesting for the people following behind who haven't done any of the steps before, as now they don't have to learn half of them.

It's a cancerous train of thought that leads to casualisation of game design and it traps you in a local gully of bad game design where you can't evolve the process of getting there because people keep undermining it after having done it for 3 weeks on repeat until they're bored of it.
Yeh. But mostly its too much time consuming with little of autistic reward dafuq you even get from HRF? Nice guns? max cap bomb that we can get in 10 minutes? Godmod items? No one interested in building it except few autistic engis.
There is alot of steps on station that already done roundstart and you have no problem with it but no MUH steps that done 1/50 shifts.
So idi nahui))
Waseemq1235
Byond Username: Waseemq1235

Post by Waseemq1235 » #587859

kopoba wrote:
oranges wrote:I hope you take a long walk of a short pier
oranges wrote:it is feasible to do most rounds, the problem here is that this dude has done it so many times he's bored of the steps and wants to remove some of them because for him the reward is better than the process of getting there.

Yeh. But mostly its too much time consuming with little of autistic reward dafuq you even get from HRF? Nice guns? max cap bomb that we can get in 10 minutes? Godmod items? No one interested in building it except few autistic engis.
There is alot of steps on station that already done roundstart and you have no problem with it but no MUH steps that done 1/50 shifts.
So idi nahui))
Agreed, the HFR barely gives you shit for cool items, you can maybe say stimulum/NO2/whatever the fuck gas you get is good, but is it worth it? hell fucking no. I can probably make stimulum and NO2 much faster with lavaland shitmos fuckery than a really painful to set up HFR. Plus, I still haven't figured how to create stimulum using the HFR. At its current state you put way more work into the HFR than you get out of it.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #587906

As someone with an extremely experienced opinion who is always correct, the system is not designed for you to do the exact same thing every round and receive the same dopamine hit. None of these systems should be. If it was rewarding enough for you to want to do it every round, you'd abuse it until it got nerfed.

It's more important that a hundred engineers get to play with this system a few times and make some cool stories about the time they figured out hypertorus, than ten engineers make it a hundred times each in their desperate burnt out scrabbling for neurotransmitters so they can eke out some more content from a free BYOND game.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman