combat mode feedback

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
steampunch
Byond Username: Steampunch

Re: combat mode feedback

Post by steampunch » #589566

Bottom post of the previous page:

Honestly I'm so-so on this one. I like some of the features like being able to shove on command, but ultimately combat doesn't really feel simplified much to me. Intents were sorta intuitive and after a little experience with them you got the hang of the motions, pressing 3 and then grabbing someone was almost second nature. Now to grab someone I have to CTRL click, but that's still two button presses, and the old was the same amount. Other things like examining a tile got more inconvenient as well. Admittedly a lot of the jank comes down to having to relearn the motions, but the ones I've gotten used to today don't feel like a step up OR step down.
BadSS13Player
Byond Username: BadSS13Player

Post by BadSS13Player » #589583

Can you make this thread a poll?
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #589620

I rebound the "1" key to also switch on/off combat mode. Feels so much better than "f" or "4".

Only a few things that really bother me:
Deconstructing things with right click feels weird.
Combat mode feels a little "sticky" to turn on/off... Doesn't seem to always happen immediately.
You have to shift+right click to open additional options for your inventory. (Turning on suit sensors and using the seed extractor, for example)
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #589622

BrianBackslide wrote: You have to shift+right click to open additional options for your inventory. (Turning on suit sensors and using the seed extractor, for example)
These should be bound to right click, full stop, if they're so important.

I asked someone to make right clicking on a jumpsuit open the suit sensors menu without having to traverse through any menus. If they don't do it soon I will. Feel free to do this with the seed extractor too if it has some verb I'm not aware of.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #589642

Lovin this, I'm sure I'll get used to the new examine controls, great job, my ONLY ISSUE is that 'combat mode' sounds so fucking stupid, can we just change it back to harm intent? I know nobody is forcing anyone to say combat mode, but when trying to move around in a cramped space, and someone says "Get out of combat mode, god dammit!" all I can think of are robotic crewmen turning their hands into knives and guns. If 'intent' is a term we are trying to move away from, perhaps "Harm inclination" could be a possible replacement?
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #589643

the main reasons is that citadel already had a ton of icons for combat mode which I could use (we have a lot of UI styles)
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #589646

Getting used to this is going to be hell, I fully believe that it'll be good long term though.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #589652

Just add a normal right-click menu instead of disarm when combat mode is off and see the problems people are having with it disappear
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Yenwodyah
Byond Username: Yenwodyah
Github Username: Yenwodyah

Post by Yenwodyah » #589659

Probably not any worse than intents, but not any better, either.

Edit: Except for batons, those need to be switched back to normal ASAP
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589670

cacogen wrote:Just add a normal right-click menu instead of disarm when combat mode is off and see the problems people are having with it disappear
no. we're already binding things to right click when combat mode is off. this is non negotiable.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

hiynastrike
Byond Username: Hiynastrike

Post by hiynastrike » #589675

What if.... Examine mode? Like you have a litte magnifying glass button next to the combat toggle. Turn it on to get examine right clicks, turn it off to beat people or whatever people do with right click without the intention of examining it

Edit: What if you could have little buttons that set what your right click does? Like sure you could still use Crtl-Click or Shift-Click to grab and examine, but like toggle buttons that set right click to do a specific action

MOCKUP:
I've come up with 4 actions you can specify Right click to:

EXAMINE: Opens the drop down menu for additional options
GRAB: Grab and pull what you click
ROB: When done to other players, opens their inventory
THROW: Hurls whatever is in the player's hand at where you click
Spoiler:

I do pixel drawings of crewmembers. You can see them all to date here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27326

Mark me down as a Space Bear Fan Image
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589684

hiynastrike wrote:What if.... Examine mode? Like you have a litte magnifying glass button next to the combat toggle. Turn it on to get examine right clicks, turn it off to beat people or whatever people do with right click without the intention of examining it

Edit: What if you could have little buttons that set what your right click does? Like sure you could still use Crtl-Click or Shift-Click to grab and examine, but like toggle buttons that set right click to do a specific action

MOCKUP:
I've come up with 4 actions you can specify Right click to:

EXAMINE: Opens the drop down menu for additional options
GRAB: Grab and pull what you click
ROB: When done to other players, opens their inventory
THROW: Hurls whatever is in the player's hand at where you click
cute picture and you know i like you but this is problematic for ux, like i said a big part of combat mode is that we can finally bind right click to things now. we're using this not just for combat related stuff, but we're rolling it out to much more just "alternate actions" for things that used to be on alt click or just nowhere because theyre tile based for instance. by adding any extra difficulty to this, we lose massively because now our right click functionality is not as intuitive as it could be, and we end up going back to the modal-like system that we wanted to avoid with combat mode

Horza
Byond Username: HorzBor

Post by Horza » #589685

hiynastrike wrote:whatever the fuck
This is either excellent satire or an absolutely flat-faced rebranding of the help-shove-grab-hurt system and I love it.
Spürdo spädre sbrölölö :DDDDD
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #589687

Jaredfogle wrote:
cacogen wrote:Just add a normal right-click menu instead of disarm when combat mode is off and see the problems people are having with it disappear
no. we're already binding things to right click when combat mode is off. this is non negotiable.
Can't it just open the context menu if there's no right-click function though?
NSFW:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589695

cacogen wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:
Can't it just open the context menu if there's no right-click function though?
I'm not sacrificing consistency for the sake of some people who can't get used to shift+right-click.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589696

The answer is no on a technical level too, anyway. BYOND gives us extremely little control over the right click menu. We won't know if an item should show the context menu until it's too late.

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #589727

It's not sacrificing consistency if both are possible it's maintaining the old method for people who don't know about the new one or haven't gotten used to it yet and accidentally do the old one from time to time but good to know it's impossible anyway now I can stop arguing about it thank you
NSFW:

BadSS13Player

Post by BadSS13Player » #589754

Jaredfogle wrote:and we end up going back to the modal-like system that we wanted to avoid with combat mode
Combat mode is already a modal system, just worse because it only has 2 modes.
Jaredfogle wrote:I'm not sacrificing consistency for the sake of some people who can't get used to shift+right-click.
It's not about getting used to it, it's permanently worse than just right click. You use the context menu a lot more than you use shove, except when you're in combat, where you use shove a lot more than you use the context menu. Having it modal is just better UI.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589755

BadSS13Player wrote:Combat mode is already a modal system, just worse because it only has 2 modes.
In case you weren't aware, four is a bigger number than two. There were four intents (help, harm, disarm, grab).
Jaredfogle wrote: It's not about getting used to it, it's permanently worse than just right click. You use the context menu a lot more than you use shove, except when you're in combat, where you use shove a lot more than you use the context menu. Having it modal is just better UI.
You are under the assumption right click will only be shoving. You will come to realize very shortly this is not the case, as we roll out more and more to right click.

BadSS13Player

Post by BadSS13Player » #589760

Jaredfogle wrote:In case you weren't aware, four is a bigger number than two. There were four intents (help, harm, disarm, grab).
Yes, that's why I said two is worse.
Jaredfogle wrote:You are under the assumption right click will only be shoving. You will come to realize very shortly this is not the case, as we roll out more and more to right click.
The uses of right click so far all seem to be niche usages like wrenching tables or related to combat like the proposed gun secondary fires. The earlier
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #589812

Is there supposed to be a sound when combat mode is acrivated, by the by? Since it's borrowing from previous iterations, I know those used a sound. Helps with working out if you toggled or not.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589814

NecromancerAnne wrote:Is there supposed to be a sound when combat mode is acrivated, by the by? Since it's borrowing from previous iterations, I know those used a sound. Helps with working out if you toggled or not.
theres an option for it but floyd fucked up and so its only on by default for new players. go in your ooc preferences

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #589816

Ah cool beans.
Sniffs-The-Glue
Byond Username: Cuttlefish

Post by Sniffs-The-Glue » #589862

Since combat mode is staying around, can the icon be a bit more obvious as to which state its in? Currently there's only the little border that shows if you are in or out of combat mode vs the bright green/red that help and harm would be. Basically it would look similar to what the borgs have if anything/placeholder.
I'll be black
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #589864

i agree, i wanted a subtle vignette around your screen.

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #589870

add depth of field and camera shake to simulate adrenaline
NSFW:

Papastink
Byond Username: Thebiggestidiot

Post by Papastink » #590395

It's going to take a while for me to get used to and has some bug but otherwise, it not great but not bad either. My only major problems are the weird flipping the sprites do in combat and the fact that the commands for when you bring up the list of items in a stack don't work.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #590402

Papastink wrote:It's going to take a while for me to get used to and has some bug but otherwise, it not great but not bad either. My only major problems are the weird flipping the sprites do in combat and the fact that the commands for when you bring up the list of items in a stack don't work.
Not sure what you mean by weird flipping, but that second issue with the right click context menu should be fixed, if it comes up again shoot an issue report up onto the github so we can deal with it
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Papastink
Byond Username: Thebiggestidiot

Post by Papastink » #590445

TheFinalPotato wrote: Not sure what you mean by weird flipping, but that second issue with the right click context menu should be fixed, if it comes up again shoot an issue report up onto the github so we can deal with it
Whenever I hit someone or something in combat mode or use a melee weapon my sprite appears five tiles away upsidedown but my hitbox is in the same place. The same thing happens whenever a monkey or player hits me.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #590454

That’s a known bug and existed before combat mode. https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/issues/55842
[this space reserved]
Qbmax32
Byond Username: Qbmax32
Github Username: qbmax32

Post by Qbmax32 » #590469

why does it make the lifeweb noise when you press 4
my admin feedback thread

quotes
Spoiler:
wesoda25 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:02 am Qbmax32 is quite literally one of the dumbest individuals I have ever had the misfortune of coming into contact with. He has zero redeemable traits, and honestly I have to suppress my gag reflex every time he shows up in a conversation.
Malkraz wrote:YES
DRINK THE PISS QB
angelstarri wrote:qbmax is a retard
imsxz wrote:mythic please stop you’ve hit rock bottom and you KEEP DIGGING
deedubya wrote:I'll defend to the death your right to scream "NIGGER NIGGER NIGGER" on a constant basis, but I'll also equally defend the right of people to call you a fuckin' pillock for doing it.
datorangebottle wrote:what, not having to act like customer service in a volunteer customer service position?

Here's a rebuttal: you're literally in a customer service slash celebrity position. Volunteer or not.
Malkraz wrote:can you stop posting this shit
Nalzul wrote:Fuck Blob (can you imagine how hot it would be to be gangbanged by a bunch of blobbernauts, the blob, and spores)
Wyzack wrote:qbmax your pathetic display of abhorrent burgercraft has brought shame onto the omnivores
Plapatin wrote:i AM the senate
BONERMASTER wrote:I am a big thinker, and it would only be logical if my character had a big head as well. And glasses. Because only people that think, wear glasses.
feem wrote:i tried to send canisters of urine to the station but ended up turning all oxygen into urine and breaking lavaland and also breathing
Anonmare wrote:Each post in this thread can't settle on what it wants to be, but yet, each one is more cursed than the last.
Beesting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.
Vile Beggar wrote:i don't like this thread
imsxz wrote:nervore
FantasticFwoosh wrote:I will whisper sweet nothings that will confuse and perhaps scare you a little, but enhance the experience no-less.
afelinidisfinetoo wrote:By the way, the person who posted that catgirl porn on the github page was me. If anyone wants my private stash just PM me
Nervere wrote:Anything for a femoid.....
Qbopper wrote:I'm a dumb poopy butthead
CitrusGender wrote:god i love it when people feed me my own fried legs
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #590637

i stole it from citadel who credited interbay not realizing lifeweb also uses it, and when I asked them they said lifeweb also got it from another source so dunno.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #590639

its a sound i did with my mouth in a call with randy, and i expect royalties

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #590658

It's super inconsistent between HUD themes but for several of them the buttons to toggle combat mode on/off look nearly identical at a glance and it's hard to tell whether it's enabled or not
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #590728

whoever thought of the idea of adding 9 different UI styles can go fck himself tbf. it's made any UI improvements ass to do
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #590767

You could just remove all but like 2 or 3 either based on a poll or just whichever you think look best
NSFW:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #590781

im still confused on why we can't make those dynamic

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #590792

I know I'm not particularly attached to the amount of choice because the option is in Preferences amidst a tonne of other things and you can't preview them so I picked one based on the name and completely forgot about it. If it was a dropdown at the top and you could change them on the fly (maybe this is already possible) then maybe I'd care more about the prospect of losing some of them. I seem to remember they're all ugly and it's filled with retro ones that look worse though.
NSFW:

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #590801

iirc our ui settings are:

- the default, and color variations on the default. internally, these are all separate sprite sheets which is a massive headache. ideally, this should be dynamic.
- glass, which IS dynamic. excellent work. if possible i'd like to see glass and the default merged in terms of effort needed to add a new ui element. i'm not sure how hard this is to do, as i haven't taken an extensive look at the dmi's myself, but ideally ui icons would be on their own, and uis distribute different frames
- retro, which i'd like to run an extensive analysis on to see how many people have. ideally i'd like to get rid of it, since it adds unnecessary work to ui designers, and our ui sucks so bad that i don't want anything to come in the way between an artist and the implementation

Mitometeta
Byond Username: GreenishBeanish

Post by Mitometeta » #593948

encountered a bug on a tg based server where switching between hotkey and classic mode sometimes made right click bring up verbs instead like it used to and sometimes do its intended functions post-intent removal, dunno if this happened elsewhere to anyone else though

also could we please add a toggleable "legacy right click" function or something please? i know it sounds weird but i play classic all the time rather than hotkeys and it's really awkward having to reach over to shift from arrow keys every time i want to right click and look at some stacked stuff on a tile

thanks for the read and the updates x
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #593952

encountered a bug on a tg based server where switching between hotkey and classic mode sometimes made right click bring up verbs instead like it used to and sometimes do its intended functions post-intent removal, dunno if this happened elsewhere to anyone else though
that server probably didn't update their skin.dmf, where the shift behavior is managed
also could we please add a toggleable "legacy right click" function or something please? i know it sounds weird but i play classic all the time rather than hotkeys and it's really awkward having to reach over to shift from arrow keys every time i want to right click and look at some stacked stuff on a tile
no, because we're binding a lot to right-click and don't want anything limiting that

MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #593984

There might be room for letting people choose a different key than shift. Don't hold your breath on it happening though since the way the right click menu toggle works is quite a pain.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #594050

to clarify, it's impossible to bind context menu to anything other than right click + some kind of modifier

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #594510

After having some time to get used to it, I find it to be a lot more intuitive than the previous system. It feels like a natural progression that builds off of the stun and shoving reworks that were implemented last year. Overall, great stuff.
► Show Spoiler
SardarKreuz
Byond Username: SP_TA_009

Post by SardarKreuz » #595474

Can you believe I cane here just to comment on this feature?
Well, know it's BRILLIANT!

Made the very old martial arts actually useable without much effort.
And I can picture it doing interesting things, like making a spear a melee weapon with one click and throwable with other, creating alt-fire with weapons, alternative uses for objects by hand or turf, different behavior for vehicles based on clicks (imagine a flying bike with guns and missiles or a cart with accelerate and brake,... and this is the killer-app n feture form for those things to happen.)

And since intents aren't used here for passive defense of any sort, I don't think anything is going wrong with this gameplay-wise.

Now what I noticed in gameplay?

- StunBaton is looking WEIRD. You can't kil l mice in maint with it whatever combat mode is On or Not. Still going to try again with other keys and I noticed the comment above. (Why not turnig it into a close contact stun-gun thingy or whatever, if it isn't to behave like a baton/club?)

- I can't drag pets, small bots (medibot, beepsky,...) or lavaland fauna corpses. (If it's a feature and not a bug of this implementation or if there's a whole new way to drag those, please someone tell-me.)

- People are randomly pushing me around and some are excusing themselves.
A small problem with players from other servers not getting accostumed I think. (Can you place a warning for them by startscreen, character login message or something?)

Now going to the code wich I dived into out of curiosity. :)

Whatever you chage this:
if(T != target || shooter.a_intent == INTENT_DISARM || shooter.a_intent == INTENT_GRAB)
For this:
if(T != target || (modifiers && modifiers["right"]))

You are risking eventual coders from other bases to come here and not understand the context.

(I would place a handler or something to change this "right" into a "rightclick" if I were you.)

Also?

Looks like now the monkey will be pissed by getting disarmed as if they were being harmed. (Unless I didn't paid enough attention. I may be wrong on this one.)
But if I am right, is it to be like that?

(Nah, don't change it at all if it was intended. :) A monkey in real life is quick to go aggro if someone annoys them. :twisted: )
.-..-. -.-. .... --- --- ... . / .- / .--- --- -... / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. --- ...- . --..-- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / .... .- ...- . / - --- / .-- --- .-. -.- / .- / -.. .- -.-- / .. -. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. ..-. . --..-- .-..-. / -.-. --- -. ..-. ..- -.-. .. ..- ... / --- -. -.-. . / ... .- .. -.. .-.-.-
UHJvZml0ISEhIF4sXg0KDQpCYXNlNjQgaXMgbG92ZWx5Lg0KRm9yIHJlYWRpbmcgdGhpcyB0ZXh0LCBjb25zaWRlciB5b3Vyc2VsZiB0cnVseSBCQVNFRC4NCg0KIkFMTCBZT1VSIEJBU0UgQVJFIEJFTE9ORyBUTyBVUy4iDQogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIC0gQ2F0cywgWmVybyBXaW5nDQo=
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #595497

the rare positive feedback
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #595499

SardarKreuz wrote: - I can't drag pets, small bots (medibot, beepsky,...) or lavaland fauna corpses. (If it's a feature and not a bug of this implementation or if there's a whole new way to drag those, please someone tell-me.)
CTRL-click for small mob dragging is broken, but you can still pull them by shift-right clicking and selecting pull from the drop down menu.
► Show Spoiler
SardarKreuz
Byond Username: SP_TA_009

Post by SardarKreuz » #595612

Farquaar wrote:...
CTRL-click for small mob dragging is broken, but you can still pull them by shift-right clicking and selecting pull from the drop down menu.
Oh my, I would entirelly miss this. Or have to code-dive.

Thx a lot Farquaar. :D

(Whatever this issue have something to do with combat mode or not, it's needing a fix certainly.)
oranges wrote:the rare positive feedback
Thz too, Orange.

I didn't played vanilla TG for a long time and this feature really caught my attention.

Looked intuitive because I was already accostumed to middle click alt-firing in TGMC. (It's the grenade launcher in rifles there, and xenomorph special attacks.)

Having a middle click (with "shift-click" as alternative command) as an action command was already good, but having the right click useable now is even better.

To tell a personal story?

Long time ago, I did some tests with a SS13 combat system that had emphasis on martial arts.

Had nothing to do with replacing intents. (It even used the grab, disarm and harm intent like they were a sort of "paper, rock and scissors" modifier over RNG results.)

But as you may had already guessed, we heavily implemented the same "combo" method of SS13 martial arts (Plasma Fist, Flying Carp, CQC, etc).
Only we had this on weapons too.
And needing to switch intents with 1234 keys in middle of combat for combos and special moves was totally lame.

With some playtesters noticing the handicap imposed on gameplay by the keyboard command style.
(And also how unfair of an advantage someone using a macro capable gamer mouse had over people playing with a regular one. )

On that, I can't even remember how many times I pressed Q, E or R myself, instead of a number key and it totally ruined the intended result with tragicomic consequences.

Gun dropped in middle of firefight. (Our alt-fire was intent based.)
Expensive sword being tossed, embedding on giant monster and being lost for the entire fight.
Etc...
GAAAAAAAH!!!!!! :x

So?
What got implemented here in combaat mode is an amazing feature.
A total killer-feature for action themed gameplay in SS13! ;)
.-..-. -.-. .... --- --- ... . / .- / .--- --- -... / -.-- --- ..- / .-.. --- ...- . --..-- / .- -. -.. / -.-- --- ..- / .-- .. .-.. .-.. / -. . ...- . .-. / .... .- ...- . / - --- / .-- --- .-. -.- / .- / -.. .- -.-- / .. -. / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-.. .. ..-. . --..-- .-..-. / -.-. --- -. ..-. ..- -.-. .. ..- ... / --- -. -.-. . / ... .- .. -.. .-.-.-
UHJvZml0ISEhIF4sXg0KDQpCYXNlNjQgaXMgbG92ZWx5Lg0KRm9yIHJlYWRpbmcgdGhpcyB0ZXh0LCBjb25zaWRlciB5b3Vyc2VsZiB0cnVseSBCQVNFRC4NCg0KIkFMTCBZT1VSIEJBU0UgQVJFIEJFTE9ORyBUTyBVUy4iDQogICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgIC0gQ2F0cywgWmVybyBXaW5nDQo=