Hitscan laser feedback thread

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
SkeletalElite
Byond Username: SkeletalElite
Github Username: SkeletalElite

Re: Hitscan laser feedback thread

Post by SkeletalElite » #593124

Bottom post of the previous page:

As overpowered as they are I really like using them and wish there was someway they could exist and be balanced just because I think having combat where your projectiles are so slow you can literally move out of their way isn't exactly something to strive for IMO.
Boris
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Borisvanmemes

Post by Boris » #593188

I don't think it results in good gameplay or stories.
current admin that was formerly retired due to inactivity
Domitius
Byond Username: Domitius
Github Username: DomitiusKnack

Post by Domitius » #593189

It looks so freaking cool and it's very fun to use. I like hitscan! It does feel powerful though but I have no idea how to balance it.
Mey Ha Zah
Byond Username: Mey Ha Zah

Post by Mey Ha Zah » #593217

My hot take from this: It forces people to try and get creative. Taking security on point blank doesn't work, and in groups impossible without being whipped down.

For instance: During a round on tram, I purchased a syndie kit and got a Makarov and silencer. I killed a few people silently and quickly while basically telling everyone I was an antag (I was running around in a Syndie Combat Suit). But the moment I came up against a sec officer, everything just stopped. 5 hits on him and he was hurt, but one more shot and it would have been game over for me, forcing me to emergency jump via the hand tele. After that sec soon caught me when I was trying to hide. Being a grey lizard stands out, but I kind of expected it.

Basically, versus regular crew, a simple gun is powerful leading to easy kills, but with the upgrade sec isn't just another meatsack. They are an actual threat to antags.

ANd I kinda like it.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #593259

I'm all for sec being an actual threat to antags (and do like that about this), but the problem becomes that there's nothing sec specific about this, any traitor can dual wield the guns and murderbone.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #593395

Once they steal them from security or manage to buy them from cargo no less.
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #593493

as someone who's only been on the receiving end of this, it makes me hate my constant 100-150ms ping even more.
Hitscan lasers let sec steamroll people, and even if the idea that "oh sec can threaten antags" might sound nice, sec is more often than not abusing people who aren't antagonist and just going about a shift.

Glad that this isn't getting merged.
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
usnpeepoo
Byond Username: Usnpeepoo

Post by usnpeepoo » #593603

hellfire laser massive buff
unless you have trenchcoat you are 1 and done with this gun or just double egun/disabler.
Ffakka
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FFakka

Post by Ffakka » #593717

played some rounds with them now, my worst fears weren't realized

i still think projectiles are infinitely better than hitscan but these lasers dont seem op and if the implementation saves lag IDK, you can "dodge" them too to a degree and its not like laser dmg was amazing before the change, maybe ill go up against someone amazing at them and ill rage. its really just a cost question regarding the lag. are projectiles that bad, and would we revert the change in the future if we ever "fix" them somehow.

buy yeah. projectiles = better, but this = kinda ok.

edit:

btw. seemingly decent chance it is op and all i did was encounter tomatoes based on other replies in this thread :honk:
Papastink
Byond Username: Thebiggestidiot

Post by Papastink » #594042

I only used hitscan lasers once and it felt a little too easy, I'm not very good at direct combat but with these lasers, I was able to kill two nuke ops while only missing three times. It also takes away what I personally find to be one of the funniest things about ss13, when the round is still going accidentally hitting the wrong person or thing with a gun is frustrating for me but most of the time when the round ends I look back and find my and other people's fuck ups to be more humorous than annoying. If the coders want to buff eguns I'd say make laserguns and energy guns fit in backpacks again and increase their ammo capacity.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #594045

They seem really strong for such cheap low-tier weapons (cheapest and most available gun in the game) to me but I've only been in a few fights w/ them so I dunno.

They look neat i guess
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #594240

Just realised hitscan weapons give a range buff to people using the widescreen mode, because hitscan weapons dont keep going while regular ones do
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #594332

i don't know anyone that designs for 15x15 and frankly i think we shouldn't provide the option as to not have to worry about that stuff
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #595438

I think they should be allowed for disablers, but perhaps not for more lethal rounds.
If there needs to be logic behind it, they're different kinds of beams: the heavier, slower beams do more damage.

That said I prefer hitscan over beams in general broadly, and think they can be added right away. It makes it so much more fun to use lasers, and it's actually more of what a laser should be like.
Spoiler: