What the hell is tg stations design philosophy even?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
doom2hellonearth
Byond Username: DOOM2HellOnEarth

What the hell is tg stations design philosophy even?

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594817

I'm seriously confused on what's even the mindset that maintainers have. They remove cloning, but keep useless fluff roles like the lawyer and just reply with "improve don't remove". Alot of the maintainers have straight up admitted they don't give a shit about what the community thinks and would prefer to go by "their vision" of a game they barely even play. So what's the point of adding major gameplay changes when the people who make and approve said changes don't play nearly as much as L̶o̶s̶e̶r̶s̶ the playerbase, in addition to the fact that it's clear that community feedback isn't their main focus?
The villain you love to hate
Timberpoes wrote:I want to get off MR SERPICOS WILD RIDE.
Armhulen wrote:This isn't how normal people act and I worry for you. I dunno how you're gonna shape up on the forums given even talking to you for more than a few messages just shows mentally ill levels of lacking awareness and not reading the room.
Qbmax32 wrote:you are a moron and i find it utterly hilarious you think you're any different
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Re: What the hell is tg stations design philosophy even?

Post by Armhulen » #594831

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #594832

now repeat that for every change you get mad at that ends up massively improving the game, i still get nightmares about old medbay
doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594833

Armhulen wrote:Image
Cloning could've been easily balanced out by having it just be researched kinda like how medbay stuff is now. This also implies that nanites don't make getting hurt inconsequential
Last edited by doom2hellonearth on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Armhulen wrote:This isn't how normal people act and I worry for you. I dunno how you're gonna shape up on the forums given even talking to you for more than a few messages just shows mentally ill levels of lacking awareness and not reading the room.
Qbmax32 wrote:you are a moron and i find it utterly hilarious you think you're any different
Qustinnus
Byond Username: Qustinnus

Post by Qustinnus » #594834

you weren't even here when cloning was here
doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594837

Qustinnus wrote:you weren't even here when cloning was here
as far as you know
cybersaber101
Byond Username: Cybersaber101

Post by cybersaber101 » #594839

Isn't the new hip thing to complain about combat mode? or maybe tesla/singulo? Anyways TG is open source and doesn't have a sole focus with it's 100 open pr's at any given time state so asking about it's design philosophy is fruitless.
The same poster, over and over and over and over and over and-
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #594840

cybersaber101 wrote:TG is open source and doesn't have a sole focus with it's 100 open pr's at any given time state so asking about it's design philosophy is fruitless.
I would actually disagree with you there. The maintainers are more than free to close any PRs that don't match with the direction they want the game to head towards.

It's a lot like evolution. Many mutations (PRs) come into existence, but only those that improve reproductive fitness (are compatible with the maintainers' vision) persist (get merged).
► Show Spoiler
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #594843

I miss when chemical names actually related to real life medicines.

salbutamol is the shit they put in inhalers
Charcoal is a real medicine and Multiver is just some bullshit.
Libital is just bullshit to let people have a naming scheme!

I don't even disagree with the rest of the medbay changes, they add gameplay depth even if bone gel and stasis beds are silly.
Spoiler:
I absolutely miss mass injecting people with medicine overdoses on the old beds
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #594844

Nabski wrote:I miss when chemical names actually related to real life medicines.

salbutamol is the shit they put in inhalers
Charcoal is a real medicine and Multiver is just some bullshit.
Libital is just bullshit to let people have a naming scheme!
Personally, I don't mind the standardization of chemical suffixes. It's just a couple suffixes that irk me, like "uri" and "ver". They sound like brand names, not names for chemical compounds.
► Show Spoiler
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #594846

You would like it even less if it was centrally planned, so to speak. Who do you think would be doing that planning?

Reviving people and healing people are now such tedious processes doctors don't even want to deal with a drunk guy critting themselves repeatedly, or a rage cage, let alone a real emergency. The changes to medbay gave doctors more to do (although they don't always want to do it) but force everyone else to sit out for longer or simply not get back in.

Death used to be a lot more consequential than it is now, even with cloners. But the idea that the game benefits from most players sitting out is misinformed to begin with.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #594848

actual serpico moment
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #594849

doom2hellonearth wrote:
Cloning could've been easily balanced out by having it just be researched kinda like how medbay stuff is now. This also implies that nanites don't make getting hurt inconsequential
There is no way one button revive is good game design, and if you make it complicated you just get the revival process we have now anyways
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #594854

doom2hellonearth wrote:I'm seriously confused on what's even the mindset that maintainers have. They remove cloning, but keep useless fluff roles like the lawyer and just reply with "improve don't remove".
cloning is bad content, lawyer has no content. we can add more to the latter and make it fun, we can't design the former to be good.
you're naive, and don't know anything about the way medbay works right now to be fun. and no, it doesn't--nanites blow too.
So what's the point of adding major gameplay changes when the people who make and approve said changes don't play nearly as much as L̶o̶s̶e̶r̶s̶ the playerbase
the maintainers don't write code, they review it. most of our code comes from outside contributors.
and would prefer to go by "their vision" of a game they barely even play.
call me crazy but i think for the entirety of this month i and many others are going to be playing quite a bit more than you
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #594857

The codebase is adrift, the maintainers direct it, but we don't decide the exact direction it goes, that's up to the contributors as a whole.

As for why we make the decisions we do, that information is typically contained in the prs or design docs that kick things off. There's no central goal outside a nebulous "make the game/code better", with a focus on the long rather then short term, but we don't get selected for the job if our sense of design and such don't match with the rest of the group.

It's an opensource codebase with a hivemind directing it.
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #594858

doom2hellonearth wrote:
Cloning leads to doctors going "this person's injuries are too complicated for me to bother treating, just euthanise and clone them instead"

edit: and the fact that it existed meant it was impossible to even suggest improvements to the medical system that added any complexity at all because any suggestions were met with a wall of "if you make it anything more complex than braindead pushing a button on a sleeper then doctors will just kill and clone instead"
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #594863

Armhulen wrote: There is no way one button revive is good game design, and if you make it complicated you just get the revival process we have now anyways
Hmm that seems like a false dichotomy to me
NSFW:

doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594876

Armhulen wrote:
doom2hellonearth wrote:
There is no way one button revive is good game design, and if you make it complicated you just get the revival process we have now anyways
Someone's never played COD zombies
doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594879

Jaredfogle wrote:
doom2hellonearth wrote:I'm seriously confused on what's even the mindset that maintainers have. They remove cloning, but keep useless fluff roles like the lawyer and just reply with "improve don't remove".
cloning is bad content, lawyer has no content. we can add more to the latter and make it fun, we can't design the former to be good.
then why haven't you?
you're naive, and don't know anything about the way medbay works right now to be fun. and no, it doesn't--nanites blow too.
So then why'd they even get added? this just proves my point that TG's design Is a goddamn mess.
So what's the point of adding major gameplay changes when the people who make and approve said changes don't play nearly as much as L̶o̶s̶e̶r̶s̶ the playerbase
the maintainers don't write code, they review it. most of our code comes from outside contributors.
strawman moment
and would prefer to go by "their vision" of a game they barely even play.
call me crazy but i think for the entirety of this month i and many others are going to be playing quite a bit more than you
playing and observing the game are completely different things. This rebuttal doesn't do anything for your case aside from making you an asshole.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #594880

doom2hellonearth wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
doom2hellonearth wrote:
not an argument sweetie
doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594885

Armhulen wrote:
doom2hellonearth wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
doom2hellonearth wrote:
not an argument sweetie
You're right. It's an opening statement. Now boot up blacks ops and try to survive more than 3 rounds on 'five'. Then we can have this discussion
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #594889

he took serpico's bait
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #594896

then why haven't you?
for the same reason you haven't--it's not that important to me.
So then why'd they even get added? this just proves my point that TG's design Is a goddamn mess.
you underestimate just how old cloning was. it's extremely likely cloning existed before tg was even a thing. cloning, like a lot of our ancient features, was added because the person who made it thought it was cool. nowadays, scope as large as this is contained in design docs. nanites are a more recent example, and can be attributed simply to designers being fallible and not being able to get everything perfectly right.
strawman moment
how, the people who "make" the changes are often not the maintainers. writing code is not in our job description.
playing and observing the game are completely different things. This rebuttal doesn't do anything for your case aside from making you an asshole.
call me crazy but i don't think you're able to do either right now
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #594897

You're right. It's an opening statement. Now boot up blacks ops and try to survive more than 3 rounds on 'five'. Then we can have this discussion
me and arm just played cod zombies together to do this and it was very easy

doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594901

Jaredfogle wrote:
me and arm just played cod zombies together to do this and it was very easy
pics or it didn't happen
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #594902

we're already done playing and now we're playing apex legends and we just won

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #594904

CATCHING DUBS LIKE NO TOMORROW
doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594905

Jaredfogle wrote:we're already done playing and now we're playing apex legends and we just won

This is mayro krat
doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594906

Armhulen wrote:CATCHING DUBS LIKE NO TOMORROW
Cringehulen can't even use quick revive in zombies. Sad!
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #594907

Not entirely relevant but this thread is just the umpteenth rehash of something people far more intelligent have asked in the past so I don't really care.

Roles like lawyer are great because they have no content. It's a roleplay role and entirely up to the lawyer to decide what they want to do with it.
[this space reserved]
doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594908

:reallyhappy:
wesoda25 wrote:Not entirely relevant but this thread is just the umpteenth rehash of something people far more intelligent have asked in the past so I don't really care.

Roles like lawyer are great because they have no content. It's a roleplay role and entirely up to the lawyer to decide what they want to do with it.
Roleplay role on a lrp server. What an addition:^)
imsxz
Byond Username: Imsxz

Post by imsxz » #594909

hi ive long since stopped playing the game(unrelated to design changes) but im 99% sure, after a tiny bit of thought and consideration, absent of all bias or opinions, that Oranges just didn't like how "singleplayer" old ss13 felt. And trust me, as one of the larger singleplayer ss13 players, the game had a really fuckin big issue where 1 person could take over an ENTIRE round antag or not really easily. A lone security officer could solo wipe a cult in under 30 seconds with a few flashbangs, ONE stun baton, and a shotgun with slugs. Not an over-exaggeration or even a rare occurrence, just wait until Fred Best or Mike Murdock logged on. Might still be the case, I haven't played in a hot minute, I wouldn't know, but I know it definitely isn't as easy as it used to be.

A lot of the changes that Oranges pushed for and or approved made it much more difficult to take on the world. Medical used to be easy to the point where you could delete chem machines roundstart and only the chemists and a few CMO players would ever bat an eye. You could instantly heal 200 brute AND burn with 1 beaker, including on dead people, with no downsides. You could stuff your bloodstream full of healing chems that would leave you set for most of the round.

Don't even get me started on combat or the amount of backlash that there was for every damn change for it. Batons used to hard stun with 1 hit instantly, slipping used to hard stun you for like 5 seconds, and you could drag people that you stunned at full speed. On top of that, the most common antags had antistun abilities that made trying to 1v1 them without lethals pretty much hopeless. Not to mention stuff like the frying oil cannons, explosive spear throwing, old genetics, etc. A lot of that really broken garbage that every good player used had BACKLASH when it was removed. You people are fucking masochists honestly. It used to be SO fucking easy to just wipe a station.

As a rather experienced ss13 player, I feel like I am moderately qualified to say that most of the changes that got huge community backlash was from the ones that nerfed singleplayer gaming. Yes, including cloning, you won't convince me that it's a multi person thing, anyone(me) could hack 1 door into sci and upgrade it to autoscanning as soon as mining deposited 1 silver for the parts, where you could then PRESCAN YOURSELF and get cloned as soon as you die.

tl;dr oranges hates me

p.s. oranges for the sake of my ego let me know if i was right or not in my guess(or call me an idiot if you've already said that this is your design philosophy before)
p.s. idk why yall adminned fikou hes actually one of the dumbest motherfuckers ive ever met

please subscribe to me on youtube
terranaut wrote:i saw this video before it was posted here
you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Arianya wrote:no, not the snails, shut up imsxz
Nervore wrote:I am going to will you out of existence, Imsxz.
One day, you will just cease to exist.
wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #594910

doom2hellonearth wrote::reallyhappy:
wesoda25 wrote:Not entirely relevant but this thread is just the umpteenth rehash of something people far more intelligent have asked in the past so I don't really care.

this mentality is why you're banned btw
[this space reserved]
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #594911

lrp doesn't mean no rp :?:

wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #594912

great post imsxz :thumbsup: always got a good perspective
[this space reserved]
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #594914

imsxz wrote:as one of the larger singleplayer ss13 players
what the fuck imagine playing a 50 player social deduction game for years all day and then posting "as one of the larger singleplayer ss13 players"
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #594918

Armhulen wrote:
what the fuck imagine playing a 50 player social deduction game for years all day and then posting "as one of the larger singleplayer ss13 players"
i was the imposter roleplayer among you all :) also it was more like 100 players when i played sorry the games dying

you too can be cool like me if you just subscribe to imsxz youtube channel :shades:
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #594919

imsxz wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
i was the imposter roleplayer among you all :) also it was more like 100 players when i played sorry the games dying
deploy the graph
imsxz

Post by imsxz » #594920

there is clearly a negative slope in the past year or 2 the game will die if u dont get another sseth
edit: holy fk its so big!!!!!!

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #594925

imsxz wrote: A lot of the changes that Oranges pushed for and or approved made it much more difficult to take on the world. Medical used to be easy to the point where you could delete chem machines roundstart and only the chemists and a few CMO players would ever bat an eye. You could instantly heal 200 brute AND burn with 1 beaker, including on dead people, with no downsides. You could stuff your bloodstream full of healing chems that would leave you set for most of the round.
imsxz wrote:As a rather experienced ss13 player, I feel like I am moderately qualified to say that most of the changes that got huge community backlash was from the ones that nerfed singleplayer gaming. Yes, including cloning, you won't convince me that it's a multi person thing, anyone(me) could hack 1 door into sci and upgrade it to autoscanning as soon as mining deposited 1 silver for the parts, where you could then PRESCAN YOURSELF and get cloned as soon as you die.
I don't think anybody here is complaining about the removal of cloning because cheap strategies were nerfed. It would be fine if medbay weren't so slow and easily overwhelmed now.
NSFW:

imsxz

Post by imsxz » #594936

i started playing medbay right after cobbychem and it wasnt that bad unless the source of death was literally directly interfering with medbay or interfering with getting people to medbay. The main issue for me was always that interdepartmental cooperation generally became me breaking into places to cooperate interdepartmentally with myself due to urgency or incompetency(which was a lot). U can ask twaticus a lot of the rounds one/both of us would go afk because there was nothing to do lol

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #594962

imsxz wrote:slipping used to hard stun you for like 5 seconds, and you could drag people that you stunned at full speed.
I still get PTSD flashbacks from this
► Show Spoiler
Omni
Byond Username: Omni44

Post by Omni » #594966

>Read thread title
>"Yeah, that's a good question, it's complete clusterfuck"
>Enter the thread
>OP ranting about old medbay and cloning being better

doom2hellonearth

Post by doom2hellonearth » #594969

Jaredfogle wrote:

lrp doesn't mean no rp :?:
If I wanted to roleplay TG would be the last place I go and I sincerely doubt that in the rate case you actually play the game instead of spectating you wouldn't be playing to roleplay either. Playing TG to roleplay is like using a biology book to masturbate. Nobody does it and anyone who does is looking in the wrong place
Last edited by doom2hellonearth on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #594971

i think it's the last place you'd go for another reason :)

cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #595030

/tg/station teaches you the science behind roleplay
NSFW:

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #595048

Not sure why no one has mentioned this yet but we have design documents. For medical at least I have both high points and specific points that detail the design I want.

https://hackmd.io/@tgstation?tags=%5B%22Design%22%5D

Example is https://hackmd.io/@tgstation/BkNXSBfuI# ... Department
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #595057

because were waiting on you to make it happen cobby you got this friend
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #595086

i mentioned the design docs :(

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #595088

I vaguely alluded to what could be considered the design docs
► Show Spoiler