Shuttles are too easily vented

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Shuttles are too easily vented

Post by Capsandi » #600255

Anyone else feel like most default shuttles lose air too quickly?
I don't mean like someone blew up a fuel tank and now the main cabin has no air within 2 seconds, that's warranted. The issue I'm seeing is that during transit, there's a good chance each round that one of the exterior doors will be opened by someone idly running about the shuttle, and will close automatically after the main cabin is spaced 4 times over. On highpop this must happen every other round or so.
The worst offenders in my experience are the tram and meta station shuttles. All it takes is one open door and everyone without a spacesuit dies within a minute.
What is likely to happen following an accidental airlock activation is a rush to the shuttle's medical/engineering bay, which results in freezing air rushing in with them and rendering more of the shuttle uninhabitable. The air doesn't equalize to a habitable degree due to the ratio of cold to temperate air. Trying to close airlocks as they're opened results in a good chance of being swept into space, and the space heater works too slowly to prevent freezing to death unless you prepare for the shuttle to be vented and lug a spacesuit to escape every round
Perhaps the exterior doors of the shuttle should close faster? or maybe tiny fans should be put under them lol jk
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Ziiro
Byond Username: Ziiro
Github Username: Ziiro

Re: Shuttles are too easily vented

Post by Ziiro » #600283

Or just make opening doors to space the purposeful action of clicking rather than "walked into it lmao"
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #600350

I've been considering lowering the close time on doors a bit, but it's an inexact science since atmos scales with load in the way it does
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
legoscape
Byond Username: Legoscape

Post by legoscape » #600403

Perhaps make the shuttle doors bolt upon entering hyperspace.

Honestly, This should be done for every single space craft.
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #600432

legoscape wrote:Perhaps make the shuttle doors bolt upon entering hyperspace.

This is actually what Paradise's shuttles do. It's considered a hugbox feature, but honestly it makes sense to me mechanically and thematically.
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #600433

I don't think we should go this far. I really like the idea of people getting shoved out of shuttles and such, and would hate to lose it
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #600450

Would it be feasible to have a fan under the doors of all shuttles that activates once the shuttle is in transit?
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #600452

TheFinalPotato wrote:

I don't think we should go this far. I really like the idea of people getting shoved out of shuttles and such, and would hate to lose it
There's only a few ways to round remove someone that are more lame than sucker punching someone with a stunbaton and throwing them out the shuttle airlock before anyone can react, you could still do it by unbolting the door or breaking a window but at least that requires some preparation

I often see borgs already bolt those nowadays anyway, you could almost argue they should always do that if they're asimov
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Ziiro

Post by Ziiro » #600459

NoxVS wrote:Would it be feasible to have a fan under the doors of all shuttles that activates once the shuttle is in transit?
tiny fans bad
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #600467

Yeah just add tiny fan. I was going to suggest double airlocks but that's much better.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #600468

Ziiro wrote:
NoxVS wrote:Would it be feasible to have a fan under the doors of all shuttles that activates once the shuttle is in transit?
tiny fans bad
Honestly emergency shuttle is the only place I think they make sense.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.