Spiders killing in 2 bites is a bit excessive

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Spiders killing in 2 bites is a bit excessive

Post by Helios » #600990

Spiders are less fun compared to zombies, and seem to take over the station every other day. Please make fighting spiders more fun and less deadly
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Re: Spiders killing in 2 bites is a bit excessive

Post by cacogen » #600992

I feel like you aren't allowed to make feedback threads like this because it is assumed to be your fault if you die
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Helios

Post by Helios » #600995

cacogen wrote:I feel like you aren't allowed to make feedback threads like this because it is assumed to be your fault if you die
https://sb.atlantaned.space/rounds/162917
Look at the stats of when spiders are summoned. 150 deaths on station. Not exactly the same threat portfolio as a syndicate infiltrator.
The numbers bear it out. When spiders spawn, a lot of people die.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #601031

All "git gud" aside, it does seem like Spiders have a massively, disproportionately high danger relative to other things that are allegedly the same Threat value.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601034

Pandarsenic wrote:All "git gud" aside, it does seem like Spiders have a massively, disproportionately high danger relative to other things that are allegedly the same Threat value.
i was gonna say git gud...
Living God

Extraordinary Person

chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #601038

I have never seen a competent crew fail to stop a spider infestation.

Spiders are an antag that punishes bad players and bad crews.
Helios

Post by Helios » #601039

chocolate_bickie wrote:I have never seen a competent crew fail to stop a spider infestation.

So what you're saying is it kills the crew on Sybil, but not on Manuel
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601040

Helios wrote:
chocolate_bickie wrote:I have never seen a competent crew fail to stop a spider infestation.

basically, he's saying robust crews that open up armory to the damn crew, and cargo buys riot armor you're fine.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #601046

Is it a code issue that players aren’t able to check xenobio freely enough to spot a growing spider army or is it more on the player end that no one is checking the job to ensure they’re acting proper?

Spiders grow into power so the main way to counter that would be to check up on the department, which most people tend to just let xenobio and viro do their thing with minimal interference.

As for spiders strength I’m fine with them being toned down a bit since usually by the time one is ballsy enough to openly harass they’ve already won, but I am curious to what extent the overarching issue is code-based.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601047

Cobby wrote:Is it a code issue that players aren’t able to check xenobio freely enough to spot a growing spider army or is it more on the player end that no one is checking the job to ensure they’re acting proper?

Spiders grow into power so the main way to counter that would be to check up on the department, which most people tend to just let xenobio and viro do their thing with minimal interference.

As for spiders strength I’m fine with them being toned down a bit since usually by the time one is ballsy enough to openly harass they’ve already won, but I am curious to what extent the overarching issue is code-based.
spiders have an easy way to die I like this way. You fucking low pressurize everywhere on the station vents and all by that I mean weld the vents and shit and just put plasma inside of it with some heat :) (after warning crew and telling craptin and other heads including ai)
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #601048

Cobby wrote:Is it a code issue that players aren’t able to check xenobio freely enough to spot a growing spider army or is it more on the player end that no one is checking the job to ensure they’re acting proper?

most spiders come from dynamic/random event id think
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #601060

Helios wrote:

Unironically, yes
Jaredfogle wrote:
Cobby wrote:by the time one is ballsy enough to openly harass they’ve already won, but I am curious to what extent the overarching issue is code-based.
most spiders come from dynamic/random event id think
In my recent experience, Spiders event into a quiet maint passage or a bathroom, get some player ghosts, chill until they reach critical mass, and then flood out and destroy Sybil

(I know I said "all 'git gud' aside," but Sybil seems to be chronically unrobust at medical, engineering, and combat)

This may be related to that playing security on Sybil fucking sucks, but really people should at least be able to make a Gygax to storm the spider nests....
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #601063

You know the monkey requirement for spider reproduction is gone right? Spider eggs are just a thing with a 10 second cooldown now.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #601072

Cursed
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #601074

carshalash wrote:

You know the monkey requirement for spider reproduction is gone right? Spider eggs are just a thing with a 10 second cooldown now.
It's worth noting spider HP was also nerfed in this update, they can't vent crawl now and only broodmothers can lay eggs.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #601083

Spiders can't break walls so if engineering is fast enough you can wall them in and then open the section of infested station to space.
GamerAndYeahMick
Byond Username: GamerAndYeahMick

Post by GamerAndYeahMick » #601085

Pointless thread, just crack a window and watch them all die in less than a minute or something.
Helios

Post by Helios » #601108

GamerAndYeahMick wrote:Pointless thread, just crack a window and watch them all die in less than a minute or something.
Do you think all the advice posted in this thread will stop Sybil from being wrecked next time spiders are spawned?
https://sb.atlantaned.space/rounds/162917
If you've guys got admin tools, look at the data yourself
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #601120

they are like "there is powerful counterplay so it's fine" but if nobody's doing it then it's not
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

pugie
Byond Username: Doctor Brutality

Post by pugie » #601158

Zombie kills in one bite and are heavily stun resistant.
Spider kills in like 7 & are utterly fucked by coldmos & disablers both of which are roundstart
This is like the most pointless thing ever.

There is one thing worst than a tg forum poster, and that is a sybil/manuel tg forum poster.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #601339

cacogen wrote:they are like "there is powerful counterplay so it's fine" but if nobody's doing it then it's not
I always open windows like a family who doesn't spend money on AC
Living God

Extraordinary Person

legoscape
Byond Username: Legoscape

Post by legoscape » #603255

Spider's poison is a bit crazy but spiders are easily countered by range. No :toysword:s