What job do you find most boring?

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

What job do you find most boring?

Post by Helios » #603957

What job do you personally find boring?
I'm curious as to what people find tedious and unrewarding.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: What job do you find most boring?

Post by Farquaar » #603962

Cargo tech, but that’s just me because I hate doing bounties.
I prefer open-ended service jobs like chef, clown, curator etc, but I’m probably in the minority there.
► Show Spoiler
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #604045

security.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #604051

Virologist. Not open-ended at all, and the content they have for themselves sucks. So all they do is make a super op imba pls nerf virus in 20 minutes and then they're just a medical doctor with green clothes. And because of the virus, you get way less patients so you're even more pointless. Not fun.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #604056

90% of the Geneticist endgame seems to be Hulk griefing shittery or actually being useful and giving out a pile of Space Adaptation injectors.

Sec Officer is thankless and unpleasant, but I don't think that's at a code level.

Cargo Bounties are kind of "meh"
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #604058

Any job without content like curator.
► Show Spoiler
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #604059

Gene and Viro. YOU PRESS BUTTON ALL GAME then the payoff is just regen coma nanites virus every game or hulk.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #604062

Shadowflame909 wrote:Any job without content like curator.
No content? Try infinite content, my lad
If you embraced the creative jobs you wouldn't suffer so much burnout, Shadowman
► Show Spoiler
Naloac
Byond Username: Naloac

Post by Naloac » #604129

xenobio
Timberpoes wrote: Lepi was right all along.
I Might Be an admin, You should leave me feedback: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic ... 37&t=24032
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #604134

Atmos

Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #604136

Agux909 wrote:Atmos
Atmos is/used to be the most interesting for me. It was limitless in that you could create logic systems to do just about anything if you had the space.

The most boring jobs are the most shoehorned ones like the state of genetics and viro.
Hugs
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #604137

Misdoubtful wrote:
Agux909 wrote:Atmos
Atmos is/used to be the most interesting for me. It was limitless in that you could create logic systems to do just about anything if you had the space.

The most boring jobs are the most shoehorned ones like the state of genetics and viro.
Yeah maybe it's a good singleplayer job and people enjoying that sorta gameplay will find it entertaining.

For me personally it's always been the least appealing to fully learn. At least for engies, the SM/solars have a really low floor difficulty, you're helping the whole station and not just yourself.

As long as the station has breathable air what other value do atmos techs bring to the station as a whole? You might argue HFR is a thing now but eh, to me it looks more like a thing put together in the confines of atmos to artificially make the job more interesting.

Also, 9/10 times I'll see engies fixing the air on screwed areas instead of techs. I see techs usually running around doing nothing because there's nothing to do, sometimes shitting around harder than your usual assistant.

I even learnt viro and found it more rewarding. Because at the end of the day, the time you spend there secluded is paid off by giving cool stuff you choose to yourself and everyone else, then you can spend the rest of the shift boasting about how noone needs their lungs to breathe anymore, or replacing tiles with glass for free heals so there is less corpses and more vertical people when fighting a blob.

I would hold the same opinion than atmos for toxins/genetics but those are at least a sub-depts in science which are supposed to be isolated and filled with mad, autistic scientists.

sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #608278

Some people would say viro/genetics/xenobio since the job itself is very boring but it's all about the reward at the end.

Chemistry is the exact same except it doesn't take 30 minutes (or 15 min for a gamer scientist that did it the last 30 shifts) to end up with cool stuff you can enjoy.

I guess in my experience curator is the most boring, but I also haven't gone space exploring as curator which is supposed to be a big part of its appeal. It's definitely a matter of preference, I don't think any job is inherently "boring" since they are what you make them.
Spoiler:
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #608281

genetics and virologist are the worst because you finish what you need to do in 10 minutes *tops*, and then you have absolutely nothing else to do but bum around
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #608736

Genetics. You sit in a room. You interact with noone. You repeteadly do a mind-numbing task. Why.
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #609175

Atmos used to be fun until the thermomachine change, no more experimenting for you said the coders. I get thermomachine was to op for sm setup, but a better option would to just make it active (think active ability vs passive ability) rather then making setting them up a pain and nothing else.
Rohen_Tahir
Byond Username: Rohen Tahir

Post by Rohen_Tahir » #609176

Noodlecat wrote:Atmos used to be fun until the thermomachine change, no more experimenting for you said the coders. I get thermomachine was to op for sm setup, but a better option would to just make it active (think active ability vs passive ability) rather then making setting them up a pain and nothing else.
Probably going to change soon since the way they currently work allows people to access
the unmatched power or the sun.
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #609190

Rohen_Tahir wrote:
Noodlecat wrote:Atmos used to be fun until the thermomachine change, no more experimenting for you said the coders. I get thermomachine was to op for sm setup, but a better option would to just make it active (think active ability vs passive ability) rather then making setting them up a pain and nothing else.
Probably going to change soon since the way they currently work allows people to access
the unmatched power or the sun.
Oh god what the fuck, why, and how do I do this, the power of the sun must be in the hands of every atmosian
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #611322

Jaredfogle wrote:genetics and virologist are the worst because you finish what you need to do in 10 minutes *tops*, and then you have absolutely nothing else to do but bum around
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #611324

Cobby wrote:
Jaredfogle wrote:genetics and virologist are the worst because you finish what you need to do in 10 minutes *tops*, and then you have absolutely nothing else to do but bum around
Kinda off-topic to defend that, but Virologist isn't bad if you act like a normal doctor after that? You just made your Cool Healing Virus and THEN you get to be a doctor but everything medical is EASIER because you spend the rest of the round doing surgery on people who can't take oxyloss damage and installing glass floors under people.
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #611329

Cobby wrote:
Previously, geneticist was at least nominally responsible for the cloner. They don't really have another ancillary role any more.
► Show Spoiler
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #611416

Farquaar wrote:
Cobby wrote:
Previously, geneticist was at least nominally responsible for the cloner. They don't really have another ancillary role any more.
okay but this was 3 buttons and waiting, there really wasn't much depth to cloning. most i'll say is a few times i had to let people in and a few times i had to point out clothing
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #611454

Armhulen wrote:
Farquaar wrote:
Cobby wrote:
okay but this was 3 buttons and waiting, there really wasn't much depth to cloning. most i'll say is a few times i had to let people in and a few times i had to point out clothing
even more before that it was clonexadone and cryo and speedcloning with the ID so a good geneticist actually made a notable difference, but then speedcloning was deemed OP and then cloning was deemed OP when it was the next best thing, so way way back they had a real role and a good geneticist made a big difference
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #611484

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
Farquaar wrote:
Cobby wrote:
even more before that it was clonexadone and cryo and speedcloning with the ID so a good geneticist actually made a notable difference, but then speedcloning was deemed OP and then cloning was deemed OP when it was the next best thing, so way way back they had a real role and a good geneticist made a big difference
I think I started playing post/during speedcloning nerfs but wasnt it literally just throwing the rooms APC on and off and stitching the corpse back together or telling them to suck shit and fuck off?

Didn't seem like what I would call skill based over just significantly more convenient in a game with very little alternatives.

Also, on the topic of the thread, besides also echoing viro, gene and xenobio, I'm going to make an argument that security is immensely boring depending on successful it is and how unsuccessful station threats are. A capable security force can quickly remove anything to do from a round, which is a really weird consequence of the role being the dedicated validhunters and proportionate to the skill of those taking the role. If they have a significant threat to take down that isn't able to be cheesed, they seem to do okay for round long interaction, but if not, they can quickly find the round being very quiet and them without anything to really do. They need more menial jobs to bide their time with.

I'm not including greyshittery in this assessment. I think any seccie worth their shit knows not to harass harmless greyshirts and generally speaking those kinds of problems don't happen very often or aren't simply handled by the crew/heads.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #611507

It was basically just a trick. You wrench a shower and unlock APC roundstart, and anyone can do it past that point. It's not hard, you just need to know it exists. Also showers doing better than cryopods was always stupid
Fikou
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Fikou
Github Username: Fikou

Post by Fikou » #611513

viro
NamelessFairy
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: NamelessFairy

Post by NamelessFairy » #611648

For me it'd probably be cook
Naloac wrote:xenobio
*insert image of a very sad cat*
Lewdcifer
TGMC Lead
Byond Username: Lewdcifer

Post by Lewdcifer » #611687

i'd say genetics, since once you're done finding all of the mutations you have nothing else to do
it's sad
TheFinalPotato
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: LemonInTheDark

Post by TheFinalPotato » #611724

NamelessFairy wrote:For me it'd probably be cook
Naloac wrote:xenobio
*insert image of a very sad cat*
someday
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same?
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #611950

Ultimately what i’ve gathered from this thread is that people mostly dislike omnidirecrional, repetitive jobs with not much to do except one singular thing. Amount of content doesn’t matter (see: xenobio), and ultimately it really just depends on how engaged you are with the process of doing the job. And Viro, xenobiology, genetics all have this in common and one more thing as well: they are just tools for gaining overpowered equipment that can be used to hunt down antags.
Nerfing powers will (mostly - see hulk nerf) solve nothing as the only reason people do genetics is for powergaming, really. Making gaining them slower by itself will solve nothing. Perhaps, reworking those jobs must entail some gathering/experimentation techweb/minigame additions.
As for the job I hate, it has to probably be bartrender. Most drinks are completely useless and crew never requests them. Before the cargo bounty rework, you usually had cargo techs come over to ask for drinks. Now you have robots for it. Are robots fun to work with? Definetly not.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #611997

Flatulent wrote:Ultimately what i’ve gathered from this thread is that people mostly dislike omnidirecrional, repetitive jobs with not much to do except one singular thing.
I don't think it's about repetitiveness but more so about if the job is geared towards the end result of doing something vs being focused on the doing it. For example, Sec is just pummel bad guys but it's not seen as a boring role.

Genetics, Xeno, Viro, etc are all focused on the end result, getting gamer loot or effects. Meanwhile, Sec, Cargo, all of Service etc are much more focused on the process; the main appeal isn't to get loot after doing X, it's to do X. Security is just "beat down bad guys", but because it's focused on doing that rather than "do it to gain loot" it's fun.

Also, about bartender, imo Bartender is a lot more of a Make-Your-Own-Fun role like Chaplain or Clown; if you just stand there waiting for stuff to happen it's pretty boring, but if you go out of your way to make some of the more exotic drinks or even just throw a hawaiian party or w/e with exotic drinks it can be pretty fun.
Oh - and on Manuel, a lot of statics have favorite drinks that aren't so run-of-the-mill so you do endup doing more of the ones that are mechanically the same.
I remade the beach away mission
Waltermeldron
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: WalterMeldron

Post by Waltermeldron » #612150

Flatulent wrote:Ultimately what i’ve gathered from this thread is that people mostly dislike omnidirecrional, repetitive jobs with not much to do except one singular thing. Amount of content doesn’t matter (see: xenobio), and ultimately it really just depends on how engaged you are with the process of doing the job. And Viro, xenobiology, genetics all have this in common and one more thing as well: they are just tools for gaining overpowered equipment that can be used to hunt down antags.
Nerfing powers will (mostly - see hulk nerf) solve nothing as the only reason people do genetics is for powergaming, really. Making gaining them slower by itself will solve nothing. Perhaps, reworking those jobs must entail some gathering/experimentation techweb/minigame additions.
As for the job I hate, it has to probably be bartrender. Most drinks are completely useless and crew never requests them. Before the cargo bounty rework, you usually had cargo techs come over to ask for drinks. Now you have robots for it. Are robots fun to work with? Definetly not.
Roles like xenobio are boring because SS13 is a game of interactions, so when you have a role or a job that doesn't really interact with others, it gets stale fast if there's no replayability value. Xenobiology, for example, is just a waiting game where you are isolated from the rest of the crew until you've got what you wanted to get from xenobio, which can take a while.

For me, I hate virologist the most because the gameplay is really clunky and most of your time is spent isolated in a lab.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #612152

virology
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #612371

Waltermeldron wrote:Roles like xenobio are boring because SS13 is a game of interactions, so when you have a role or a job that doesn't really interact with others, it gets stale fast if there's no replayability value. Xenobiology, for example, is just a waiting game where you are isolated from the rest of the crew until you've got what you wanted to get from xenobio.
Player interactions arent nessesarily needed for some people. The issue is that systems in this game require depth. Xenobio has a lot of crap to do but is ultimately very shallow.
The issue with sleeper medbay wasn’t the lack of player interaction, but doctors having quite literally almost no job to do. Replayability doesn’t matter here. Doctors still do the exact same shit every round, but specifics changed. You’re more engaged with the process. Before, you still had people come to medbay for treatment, but the md job devolved into just pressing buttons on the sleeper, cloning people in bolted open cloner room and shoving people into cryo pods to heal them from cellular damage.
You interacted with people all the fucking time but nobody liked playing medical doctor before everything i mentioned about medbay got completely shitcanned.
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #612406

Flatulent wrote:And Viro, xenobiology, genetics all have this in common and one more thing as well: they are just tools for gaining overpowered equipment that can be used to hunt down antags.

The tricky bit for me, with Viro/Geneticist, is that...

1) Viro has basically been solved. I don't know about other virologists, but I have a specific strategy that I can speed through in ten minutes.
2) Geneticist is just slamming the RNG button over and over until you find the three mutations that matter.

I like getting the Gaming Goodies from those, not for myself (well, also for myself) but because once Self-Resp + Space Adaptation is globally available, everyone can ignore hull breaches, pressure, etc., entirely. I find it satisfying to eliminate a source of danger to the other players. The goal is not powergaming as validhunting, but powergaming as making it incredibly fucking difficult for antags to complete kill objectives because the target can literally run out the nearest airlock and be safe.