Circuits : huge potential to be exploited

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Lyude75
Byond Username: Lyude

Circuits : huge potential to be exploited

Post by Lyude75 » #604294

I just tried circuits. It seems that it's work in progress, not much to do with current compenents. I think these things should be done (message to coders):
- scanning environment for targets
- interact via usb to most of electrical machines in the station (consoles, apc, radio, intercom,...)
- allow interacting with machines as human would do, but with a programme designed in advance or via remote control via tablet + shell connected with usb
- allow interactions between moveable shells and tools/weapons/opening doors
- control remotely or by programming component how the shell can move around the station for moveable shells

Circuits have huge potential. It just needs more components to allow making new kinds of bots with unlimited potential, either to help (rescue people in space, do automated tasks...), Do neutral things (speak anonymously on intercoms via bot) or to grief.

Few things have made me so enthousiastic on TG recently but I see huge sandbox opportunities in circuits
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Circuits : huge potential to be exploited

Post by oranges » #604303

all of those things will indeed lead to the players exploiting the shit out of them until circuits are removed, so most of them will not be added.
Lyude75

Post by Lyude75 » #604360

What is the point of circuits then? I mean we have nanites and viruses... It's not OP or unbalanced to allow players to meddle with electronics through circuits. That's based and totally relevant. In fact this is one of the few things where current reality and game merge.

Addings to the game have to translate into an edge in the way players act in the round, otherwise there is no point. If circuits are just a way to lose time in a round doing nothing relevant in terms of interaction with players/station, then no one will ever bother learning that.

Every job/field in ss13 translates into potential helpful/grieving possibilities. If it's not the case with circuits the coder is just losing his time in my opinion

The question is : what are we expected to achieve doing circuits that can help make the round more interesting ?
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #604470

nothing lol
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #604498

Lyude75 wrote: - scanning environment for targets
I want it. It's expensive, though.
Lyude75 wrote: - interact via usb to most of electrical machines in the station (consoles, apc, radio, intercom,...)
This is the plan.
Lyude75 wrote: - allow interacting with machines as human would do, but with a programme designed in advance or via remote control via tablet + shell connected with usb
If "designed in advance" means from a previous round or copied and pasted, then no. Otherwise, this looks like the same as your last point.
Lyude75 wrote: - allow interactions between moveable shells and tools/weapons/opening doors
No.
Lyude75 wrote: - control remotely or by programming component how the shell can move around the station for moveable shells
I don't understand, you can do this already.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #604542

Lyude75 wrote: - allow interactions between moveable shells and tools/weapons/opening doors
Oh how quickly we forget. Old circuits was so fucked for this reason alone (though there were other issues)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #604563

Armhulen wrote:
Oh how quickly we forget. Old circuits was so fucked for this reason alone (though there were other issues)
people always say this but i dont really remember any cases where it was actually a problem except for pocket tasers which was patched out day 1. i guess there were glass shard throwing machines but i never saw them actually get used and i never could get them to work reliably myself
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #604565

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
i guess there were glass shard throwing machines but i never saw them actually get used and i never could get them to work reliably myself
i saw one work and it was very good at instakilling people. spooky, and you could save scripts and all that.
oranges
Code Maintainer

Post by oranges » #604570

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Armhulen wrote:
people always say this but i dont really remember any cases where it was actually a problem except for pocket tasers which was patched out day 1. i guess there were glass shard throwing machines but i never saw them actually get used and i never could get them to work reliably myself
you're out of your fucking gherkin
Lyude75

Post by Lyude75 » #604573

I have in mind making drones which could be programmed to go through a certain path by programming them before launching them, or remote controling them in order to reach difficult/dangerous areas (space ruins, fire in station...). Like a borg but man controled. A few tools like crowbar to open firelocks would be needed.
And yes that would bring grieving opportunities, but at least that could leave a lot of space for imagination, like with legos. Instead of just plasma flood
Lyude75

Post by Lyude75 » #604904

I have recently spent some time trying to understand more circuits. I achieved a few designs and I understand more the thing, yet I would make some remarks :
- I have not been able till now to effectively make sure that only a specific speaker activates the circuit (using multitool to mark myself then hit "speaker" button on voice activator or race component does not seem to work
- is it possible to have a keyboard in one of the shells? I haven't tried the server shell but having a keyboard to interact in a written manner seems impossible to avoid if there is some logic
- a camera component (video live and recording/photo) would be really nice
- I am not sure we can do anything meaningful with usb cable currently due to the lack of component to interact effectively with electronics/consoles/machines, but I suppose it's work in progress
- a "push" component would be nice considering there is a pull component (in order to push cable/items/disc in console)
-there should be a video monitor/component for tablet in order to monitor remotely the drone shell in a more effective manner
- a component to scan the area and interact with people/object in an abstract manner (and not just people/items scanned by multitool) would be a real adding
- doors should open to bots as they do to cyborgs

It's really good work by the way. I am looking forward to get more component to add on current possibilities
Lyude75

Post by Lyude75 » #606933

I have tried again and I can assure that there is an issue with controller shell. The extra signal does not work (right click), it was the same weeks ago. For me only left click and alt click work, which is limiting.
By the way the components relating to secutiry records have been implemented and removed as quickly as they entered the game. it's been weeks and apart form temp and pressure components I have not seen real game changing components.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #606987

..."Removed as quickly as they entered the game"...? We haven't removed a single component yet.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.

Lyude75

Post by Lyude75 » #607197

One evening, it was like a month ago if I correctly remember, I saw in the printer a few new components linked to security records console, as explained on a PR in Github. I saw them and tried them a bit. They were not there anymore the day after. I don't remember on which server but I mostly play on Basil and Terry.
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer

Post by Mothblocks » #607218

They, definitely still exist.