Gibbing antags: Are they still welcome

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Gibbing antags: Are they still welcome

Post by carshalash » #606854

A lot has happened in the last two years in the codebase to make revivals more challenging, we have had cloning removed, the changes to chem as well as the monkey-men issues. Because of this reviving people has changed a lot, two of the antags in the game still gib people. With heretics, it leaves one with a chance of revival, a complete head transplant needs to be done. While it is quite doable, it can leave people rather frustrated with the way they are revived. The original coder of Heretics has stated he is dissatisfied in hindsight with how the sacrifice.

The biggest issue with gibbing antags is definitely Xenos. While crew power has been nerfed throughout the years, Xeno strength has either stayed the same or just outright gotten stronger. The archaic code of Xenos had one become the Xeno after gibbing, because of this it removed the brain of the victim. With how easy it is to die to Xenos and be outright round removed, it can be a pretty bitter experience to be easily round removed from a thrown hugger to the face and then stunlocking. Xeno's are based on Aliens from the Hit franchise Prometheus™, it really doesn't make much sense for the chest bursters to destroy the entire body when they come out. Destroying all chest area organs as well as fucking up the chest of the victim overall what be a much better experience for the player.

Should these ways of death be changed to make a more enjoyable experience for the players? While the heretic one can be argued as being fair, I strongly believe that the xenomorph death needs to be reworked or changed as it is far too simple of a round removal as is.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Re: Gibbing antags: Are they still welcome

Post by Agux909 » #606931

I hate you for mentioning Prometheus but agree with you. People didn't explode into pieces in the hit franchise Aliens™, it'd be ridiculous if they did, and it's mechanically dated for ss13. The damage should be focused on the chest and chest organs.

Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #606971

If the totally noninfringed aliens had a source and that source did not include blowing up to bits, I would be fine with making it so they are not gibbed.

Any antag that you feel is hyperlethal relative to the changes to crew that make fights intentionally more drawn out is definitely up for discussion imo. I have antags turn off so my information on them is not as upfront as medical
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #607012

Realistically speaking, this usually doesn't matter because you're never recovering bodies from a xeno nest and slow dragging of downed bodies means you probably can't really exfil facehugged people.

In terms of simple interaction with the medical system, it probably doesn't much matter because if you break every organ, the easiest solution is to transplant the head to a monkeyhuman anyway, which... is exactly what you have to do with a gibbed body's head.

That said, it would be reasonably cool codewise if it destroyed or launched, like... heart + stomach + lungs, while leaving the rest to decay normally?

If you wanna get real fancy, make the larva 'eat' the stomach, then start damaging lungs and heart until it explodes out, idk.

But without other xeno nerfs (hunters moving at lightspeed into tackles) this probably won't matter tooo much.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #607023

If xenos left corpses behind, it may become less acceptable to kill them with fire/explosions. A minor loss, but a noteworthy one.
► Show Spoiler
carshalash
Byond Username: Carshalash

Post by carshalash » #607057

Farquaar wrote:If xenos left corpses behind, it may become less acceptable to kill them with fire/explosions. A minor loss, but a noteworthy one.
Synthflesh, it still leaves them in a revivable state just... less so. At the moment Xeno gibbing will outright delete the player's brain.
BrianBackslide
Byond Username: BrianBackslide

Post by BrianBackslide » #607072

Unless you have the batman levels of foresight and planning to have a syringe of your own blood on yourself for replica podding, you won't be coming back from being chestbursted.

That being said, everything said about gibbing antags can also apply to changeling succ.
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #607091

Traitors, lings and heretics tend to round remove their targets or anyone who gets in there way as a matter of course. It prevents people being revived and calling you out or metaing things like rune locations or your real identity (if you are disguised).

The most common method is decapping, so the real question is, how much easier is your gibbing antag method then just chopping someones head off?

I'd say for Heretics it's negligible as long as you are only killing your target. I actually think heretic is the least offensive gibbing antag. You are rewarded for killing only your target and punished for extra casualties.

Xenos, well, gibbing is an issue for them. I like the suggestion to instead just destroy internal organs, that's pretty cool.

Changelings succ is something that takes a while to use but I'm not really sure what it's point is beyond round removing someone? It's not like it's your only method of getting identities and it's so fiddly messing with grabbing and such.

Tl,dr Heretic gib is specific and rewards only killing your target, probably fine. The rest, meh, take it or leave it
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #607125

Cling SUCC is for getting power respecs and the spider spawned, nothing else.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #607257

Better solution: Delete the worst (xeno) and third worst (heretic) antags in the game and completely start over for their design. No changes to those antags will ever make them fun or fair to fight against (or as) outside of a rework that might aswell be an outright delete + replace.
am gud enineering
scrungo
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #607354

the stations also have at least 2 ways of roundremoval gibbing semipublically available (Cremator and Gibber)
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
CMDR_Gungnir
Byond Username: CMDR Gungnir

Post by CMDR_Gungnir » #607497

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:the stations also have at least 2 ways of roundremoval gibbing semipublically available (Cremator and Gibber)
Yeah but you're also generally frowned upon if you do it without a good reason, vs antags that it's their entire core thing.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #607533

public mining dock too