Autonomy is worthless. Replace it with :monkey:

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Autonomy is worthless. Replace it with :monkey:

Post by Helios » #608452

I play geneticist fairly frequently. Nobody has ever wanted autonomy. Nobody has ever used autonomy. It's complete garbage and should have been left on the cutting room floor. The amount of instability points it gives is comical.
The core gimmick is being able to escape cuffs, but it's not being used. Here's what I would replace it with. A one time use lesser form transformation ala changeling. Give people a button that will transform them from a human into a monkey, and some people will use it. If they are being dragged away in cuffs, and time their transformation for when they are over a vent so they can ventcrawl escape security custody, even better. :monkey:
mrmelbert
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Mr Melbert

Re: Autonomy is worthless. Replace it with :monkey:

Post by mrmelbert » #608459

1. It's Autotomy, not Autonomy.
2. I love taking Autotomy. No one expects you to lose an arm to suddenly to bail from cuffs. Even if you lose your legs before managing to uncuff yourself, you still end up with the ability to fight back (or the inability to be re-cuffed), which can be the difference between life and death. Considering the end result of being cuffed is often "your round is over", losing a limb to TRY to escape it isn't that bad. If you end up failing to escape, nothing was lost.

I will, however, agree that the instability value is a bit high. If you really wanted to buff it with a changeling-esque ability, give the user the ability to re-grow or re-attach the shunted limb after some time.
Admin: December 2020 - Present
Code Maintainer: December 2021 - Present
Head Admin: Feburary 2022 - September 2022
Youtube Guy: sometimes

RaveRadbury
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Post by RaveRadbury » #608460

mrmelbert wrote:re-attach the shunted limb after some time.
Ligament hooks surgery is the other half of the equation.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #608462

Instability values are one-variable changes if anyone feels like trying their hand at a rebalance. Literally just change one number, the system was made to be easily tweaked for weird cases like this.

That said, the idea in the OP could be funny as a separate thing too.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler: