Crematorium needs a massive nerf

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Crematorium needs a massive nerf

Post by Noodlecat » #610973

the crematorium is currently the only thing in the game other then the sm that can instantly round remove someone with no possible counters, it requires no time to activate and instantly dusts you, here is my proposal, it does 25 burn damage per second and when it reaches 400 it dusts you. simple change and you can no longer round remove someone as sec arrests you because you pushed a button.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Re: Crematorium needs a massive nerf

Post by terranaut » #610988

this will do nothing except make people drag you to engineering/kitchen while you're cuffed and not the crematorium
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #610992

I kinda like that chaplain has a tool worth using
Flatulent
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: FlatulentIndustrialist

Post by Flatulent » #610998

you have yet to provide a reasonable explanation as to why this would be a worthwhile change
Mothblocks, winter 2020, “successfully” preventing bagil death with relevant data wrote:You seem to be under the fallacy that reinforcing that Bagil is a TDM shithole where you must carry bolas and spears on you at all times, while looking for the next valid to hunt down is a positive change to the server. I don't. The data suggests other people don't.
imsxz wrote:I give up there’s too many furries
cacogen wrote:i asked oranges how often he plays and he deleted the post
cybersaber101 wrote:Welp, you guys let a terrymin become a headmin, thousand years of darkness.
Vekter wrote:I jerk off Nist a bit too much but he's honestly one of the best silicon players on the server. B.O.R.G.O. is also pretty good.
zxaber
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Zxaber

Post by zxaber » #611008

It would allow AIs the chance to reason with the button pusher/get a borg on the scene rather than spending all their time fighting over an APC with no room to type.

This really only comes up if a captain or engineer is doing the cremation though, as anyone else would have to hack the APC to fight back and thus probably has tools to just cut cameras.
Douglas Bickerson / Adaptive Manipulator / Digital Clockwork
OrdoM/(Viktor Bergmannsen) (ghost) "Also Douglas, you're becoming the Lexia Black of Robotics"
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #611013

The only time I've ever gotten mad about dying just due to the sheer lameness of it was when someone was camping near the chapel with a stun baton, grabbing people and throwing them into the crematorium before the stun could even wear off
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #611024

or maybe a sensor like the recycler that needs to be emaged?
Anuv
Byond Username: Anuv

Post by Anuv » #611078

Cremating IS way too crazy easy. Even gibbing has requirements with channel time/stripping.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #611107

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
► Show Spoiler
chocolate_bickie
Byond Username: Chocolate_bickie

Post by chocolate_bickie » #611108

I'm not sure what make crematorium so special. As warden, if I want to gib someone, I just use the gulag shuttle.

A crematorium nerf won't change this.
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #611158

i have been cremated as a sec officer was arresting the person doing the cremation, just push a button and bam, dead no time needed, with all other methods of round removal ethier taking time(gibbing, ling succ) or having ways to possibly recover however unlikely they are(spacing body with no sensors, cut off head and hide it in a locker) the cremator is the the only exception, being both fast and unrecoverable. That is the main issue, compared to all other methods, it is the most overpowered and has no downsides
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #611160

Noodlecat wrote:has no downsides
There's only one cremator on the station and it's locked in a room that only one job has access to.
► Show Spoiler
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #611172

Only one job, that only one person usually fills--the SM is a few more doors, but like six more people can access it.

Crematorium seems okay to me?
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #611186

The supermatter is a high security area, often closely monitored with a considerable danger for the user and possibly the reason why I've never heard of someone getting killed by being thrown into the SM unless they were trying to show off

The crematorium is one maint door away and doors have never stopped anyone

Even the chef's gibber has a lenghty do_after because someone realized a while ago that instant round removal is bullshit when it's that easy to access

Anyway there was actually a PR to add something similar to this but unfortunately it was never finished https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/51154
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #611191

Mickyan wrote:The supermatter is a high security area, often closely monitored with a considerable danger for the user and possibly the reason why I've never heard of someone getting killed by being thrown into the SM unless they were trying to show off

The crematorium is one maint door away and doors have never stopped anyone

Even the chef's gibber has a lenghty do_after because someone realized a while ago that instant round removal is bullshit when it's that easy to access

Anyway there was actually a PR to add something similar to this but unfortunately it was never finished https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/51154
Counterpoint is that crematorium is necessary for quick removal of lings when there's no sec to gib with gulag shuttle. Aside from gulag shuttle being significantly more finnicky and it fails much more often than the crematorium. This would be a ling buff 100%. Maybe that isn't a problem but it should be considered.
Spoiler:
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #611192

Noodlecat wrote:i have been cremated as a sec officer was arresting the person doing the cremation, just push a button and bam, dead no time needed, with all other methods of round removal ethier taking time(gibbing, ling succ) or having ways to possibly recover however unlikely they are(spacing body with no sensors, cut off head and hide it in a locker) the cremator is the the only exception, being both fast and unrecoverable. That is the main issue, compared to all other methods, it is the most overpowered and has no downsides
The only time I can remember offhand that I've seen a cremation fail by the time it was at the chapel involved 3 sec officers vs. 1 assistant with no gear at roundstart.

Supermatter's dual airlock setup and dangerous atmosphere actually makes it quite inconvenient to dust bodies with it. Then, it's also within engineering proper, which requires another door to pop open from maintenance, plus Engineering is full of desirable loot anyway so it sees moderate traffic. Then, it causes a flare of energy, which can cause radiation complications; if you don't have mesons, you're now hallucinating; etc.

The gibber mostly just requires the body to be fully stripped of items, then you can insert them into it, then activate it, and then it's loud. A much smaller inconvenience than the supermatter, at least.

The crematorium requires you to enter a room, maneuver a body onto a specific tile, pop the tray, and hit the button.

In a purely factual sense, the only easier round-removal is shuttle-gibbing, which still leaves a head if that's a concern.

However, I'm not sure that any of that is a problem. Some choices will necessarily be easier than others. That's just the nature of things.

Would having it build up the burn damage before it can dust, or whatever, help? Maybe. I can't say for certain, but I'm not convinced that it's a big difference.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Omega_DarkPotato
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Omega_DarkPotato

Post by Omega_DarkPotato » #611296

sinfulbliss wrote: Counterpoint is that crematorium is necessary for quick removal of lings when there's no sec to gib with gulag shuttle. Aside from gulag shuttle being significantly more finnicky and it fails much more often than the crematorium. This would be a ling buff 100%. Maybe that isn't a problem but it should be considered.
pssst dont tell anyone this but the public mining shuttle can be used for the same thing on all maps and anyone can access that
Super Aggro Crag wrote:This is what u get when u let people into your community
play opus: echo of starsong
I'm an admin, typically on /tg/station Sybil. If you've got anything you'd like to say about me, my adminning, or my decisions, please comment in my admin feedback thread!
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #611302

personally i think its fine that theres a single irreplaceable semi-public round removal machine

it means antags who are afraid of it can play around it
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #611306

If it was a big deal against lings why dont they just destroy it, I dont think its indestructible.

Heck do it when youre not ling too so they wont ever know
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Mothblocks
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Jaredfogle

Post by Mothblocks » #611311

Cobby wrote:If it was a big deal against lings why dont they just destroy it, I dont think its indestructible.

Heck do it when youre not ling too so they wont ever know
Lings destroying the incinerator is fairly common, I've even seen them EMP shriek the button so that it can't be used when they're about to die.
Shaps-cloud wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:59 am May eventually become one of the illusive maintainer-headmins if they choose to pursue that path, having a coder in the senior admin leadership has usually been positive for both sides in the past.
Head Coder of /tg/station, hi!

Head Admin of /tg/station Feb 2022.

Mothblocks everywhere, >>> Say nice things about me <<<
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #611366

i play a lot and i don't see it used a lot so it seems sort of forgotten by most people to me so i'd agree with the other people here saying it's not used enough to need nerfing
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW: