Okay seriously what's the point of the detective's revolver

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Re: Okay seriously what's the point of the detective's revolver

Post by Fishimun » #613545

Bottom post of the previous page:

What the detective truly needs is a shotgun like the Taurus judge
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #613579

I saw the swarmers follow-behind code right? Why don't you give the det a bloodhound attack dog that can auto-sniff continous trails and items, and attack perps on middle mouse click while you hold the dog-whistle. If it dies it just reincarnates in a dispenser in the det's office to avoid easily insta-gibbing the poor thing with a changeling arm so its gone from the round without doing a number on the entire det-office. Blow whistle to immediately clear targets if its biting the perp too much.

Im not that bothered to potentially losing the det revolver, but distraction for melee and a always helpful companion is better than just getting bwoinked for blowing folks to swiss cheese in a endless policy/balance battle.

Spoiler:
Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #613800

Not locking alternative ammo behind a massive amount of research would probably work wonders for it being more used and fun
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #613901

it exists because rule of cool, stop trying
Arcanemusic
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ArcaneMusic

Post by Arcanemusic » #614342

Shoot the glass ceiling wide open
I Broke: Economy, Hydroponics, Trading Cards, Mice, Civilian Bounties, the BEPIS, Techwebs, Newscasters, and MORE EVERY DAY
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #614355

Currently every single det(at least on manuel) modifies their gun to .357 at roundstart so yea. This turns an already “balance problem” item into “ultra-murder antag gear level”. Also considering(at least on Manuel) that admins are not particularly good with dets using their guns to arrest/kill antags in non self defense.
Example: det with .357 revolver rushes into cargo with confirmed revs in cargo and starts shooting when the qm shoves them, dead qm ahelps and admin says “he was acting in self defense” obviously powergaming and bad det gets off bewoink free.
I have never seen a det use any rounds other then .357 on Manuel, again this ability to switch the gun should be antag only.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #614358

Doesn't modifying the det revolver to fire 356 give you a 1 in 2 chance of blowing off your hand every time you shoot or did they remove that
Noodlecat
Byond Username: Noodlecat

Post by Noodlecat » #614360

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Doesn't modifying the det revolver to fire 356 give you a 1 in 2 chance of blowing off your hand every time you shoot or did they remove that
Either it does not work or it just wastes the bullet(I think it wastes the bullet) but most Manuel dets have more .357 speed loaders then engis have tools.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #614373

I exclusively play manuel and haven't experienced that
Danny Delete-O
Byond Username: Danny Delete-O

Post by Danny Delete-O » #614393

Noodlecat wrote:
Super Aggro Crag wrote:Doesn't modifying the det revolver to fire 356 give you a 1 in 2 chance of blowing off your hand every time you shoot or did they remove that
Either it does not work or it just wastes the bullet(I think it wastes the bullet) but most Manuel dets have more .357 speed loaders then engis have tools.
Mirroring what Crag has said, I can count on one hand how many times i have seen a Det on Manuel modify and use .357 in their revolver. This is not a widespread issue IMO.
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #614424

It's 1 in 4 chance after you shoot it once (starts at 0%, increments to 25% and stays there). Then you need to stop and polish the gun clean for 10 seconds to remove the misfire chance. Before I changed misfires, you could game it by only ever loading one bullet for about a 10% chance of misfiring, but you could fire it significantly faster if you were good with button presses.

It's entirely possible people are doing what I predicted might happen and using it once to deliver 60 damage to some crook before needing to duck away to clean the gun. Which isn't too bad honestly. You could use it to mangle someone's arm and disarm them, for example, which is kind of badass.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #614428

How do you clean gun
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #614478

Get a bit of cloth. I meant to make it a damp rag but never got around to it.
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #614482

Danny Delete-O wrote:
Noodlecat wrote:
Mirroring what Crag has said, I can count on one hand how many times i have seen a Det on Manuel modify and use .357 in their revolver. This is not a widespread issue IMO.
what's the over/under on this guy having his antag round ended by a .357 recently
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #614486

Screemonster wrote:
Danny Delete-O wrote:
Noodlecat wrote:
what's the over/under on this guy having his antag round ended by a .357 recently
skill issue
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #614548

NecromancerAnne wrote:It's 1 in 4 chance after you shoot it once (starts at 0%, increments to 25% and stays there). Then you need to stop and polish the gun clean for 10 seconds to remove the misfire chance. Before I changed misfires, you could game it by only ever loading one bullet for about a 10% chance of misfiring, but you could fire it significantly faster if you were good with button presses.

It's entirely possible people are doing what I predicted might happen and using it once to deliver 60 damage to some crook before needing to duck away to clean the gun. Which isn't too bad honestly. You could use it to mangle someone's arm and disarm them, for example, which is kind of badass.
I've never modified the revolver so a question, once modified, can it only exclusively hold .357?

NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #614549

Agux909 wrote:I've never modified the revolver so a question, once modified, can it only exclusively hold .357?
Until you swap it back, yeah.
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #614550

NecromancerAnne wrote:
Agux909 wrote:I've never modified the revolver so a question, once modified, can it only exclusively hold .357?
Until you swap it back, yeah.
Gotchu, that'd be hella abusable otherwise.

Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Post by Helios » #614989

oranges wrote:it exists because rule of cool, stop trying
Thank you for not hammering down this nail.
I only wish other things above the power curve had the same mercy.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #614991

Helios wrote:
The complaint was nothing to do with how powerful or not powerful it was believe it or not
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #615027

To clarify, it's because it doesn't fit with the rest of the dets toolkit, yeah? You actually saw the PR that made the change, PKP, I'm surprised you're surprised about what they're like now. This was it. Oranges wanted it changed to do lethal only.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #615123

NecromancerAnne wrote:To clarify, it's because it doesn't fit with the rest of the dets toolkit, yeah? You actually saw the PR that made the change, PKP, I'm surprised you're surprised about what they're like now. This was it. Oranges wanted it changed to do lethal only.
i thumbed that down at the time ?‍♂️
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #615136

Well it's been a bit. If you have some ideas for what to do, maybe a PR.
Istoprocent1
Byond Username: istoprocent

Post by Istoprocent1 » #615378

The only point is "muh noir RP" IMHO.

I would go for a revolver shaped disabler or an energy gun (disabler/laser combo), if the former is "not enough to keep detective alive", then maybe introduce gadgets like a single use deathrattle implant that announces death over security comms.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #615504

or we could do nothing, because it doesn't need fixing.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #615505

oranges wrote:or we could do nothing, because it doesn't need fixing.
This. Not everything needs to be balanced. Not everything needs to be useful. Its a revolver. Its thematical. Its not broken or overpowered anyways. Its just chilling. Who cares?
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Helios wrote:
The complaint was nothing to do with how powerful or not powerful it was believe it or not
Outside of change ideas that ammo bit is a cool idea.

I don't see anything wrong with it as it is right now though.
Hugs
Aeri
Byond Username: Cat348

Post by Aeri » #616481

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:02 am I got to play detective the other day and had a pretty successful round I'd say, but I noticed that my gun appeared to not do anything but kill people. I ahelped about it and the active admins confirmed that yep, the detective revolver is just for mercilessly braining anyone you dislike. That's technically a purpose, but really, what the fuck kind of role is that supposed to play in the kit for a detective?? What's the point of it? You solve the crime, you mark the guy as a target for arrest for petty theft, then you see him in the halls and INSTANTLY GO STRAIGHT TO KILLING HIM? I'll admit it is pretty funny to shoot the mime who won't fuck off for ten whole seconds once or twice to watch him limp away, but I'm a detective, damnit. It could at least stagger the perp and force him to crawl around or something. I get that we're not doing hardstuns anymore but it could at least do SOMETHING to perhaps aid in my journey to interrogate the perp other than bring him inches from death, at which point I doubt he'd be super compliant.

You have the highly annoying wooden batong, also the det revolver is pretty limp dick I've been shot 5 times by the idiot detective going after somebody who wasn't me (and missing them completely) and I lived to be very upset about it.

Also from what I can gather the detective isn't supposed to be day-to-day law enforcement, you're supposed to snake around figuring out who did crimes and tell real sec, the revolver is for if you get into trouble because nobody likes a snitch. If you act like a normal secoff and go around arresting people, news flash from the crew, everybody bloody hates you.
Tell your local headmins to abolish ENFORCE_HUMAN_AUTHORITY, humans are fucking boring. Allow plasmeme CE, Lizard HOS, etc!
Cosmodeus
Byond Username: Cosmodeus

Post by Cosmodeus » #617411

PKPenguin321 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:02 am You solve the crime, you mark the guy as a target for arrest for petty theft, then you see him in the halls and INSTANTLY GO STRAIGHT TO KILLING HIM?
I'll spell it out for you. The detective finds out someone is valid salad and gets free game to shoot them with their revolver. They have to be valid salad. It's basically like trouble in terrorist town. That's not a hard concept to understand. There's a player that rolls around on a wheel chair and if you bully them, they will shoot and kill you and it will be marked an IC issue one hundred percent of the time. Why? Because you're valid for stealing their wheel chair.
Itseasytosee2me
Byond Username: Rectification

Post by Itseasytosee2me » #620049

The detective's revolver firing lethal is i think somewhat harmful to the sanctity of power that comes from the syndicate .357. Before, the syndicate revolver felt unique and powerful for the sake of being a revolver alone only equaled by other revolvers like the Mateba, but now the detective has a weak baby revolver that makes all the others look lamer by association. If it was an energy weapon or otherwise differently flavored this wouldn't be an issue.
- Sincerely itseasytosee
See you later