Okay seriously what's the point of the detective's revolver

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Okay seriously what's the point of the detective's revolver

Post by PKPenguin321 » #612864

I got to play detective the other day and had a pretty successful round I'd say, but I noticed that my gun appeared to not do anything but kill people. I ahelped about it and the active admins confirmed that yep, the detective revolver is just for mercilessly braining anyone you dislike. That's technically a purpose, but really, what the fuck kind of role is that supposed to play in the kit for a detective?? What's the point of it? You solve the crime, you mark the guy as a target for arrest for petty theft, then you see him in the halls and INSTANTLY GO STRAIGHT TO KILLING HIM? I'll admit it is pretty funny to shoot the mime who won't fuck off for ten whole seconds once or twice to watch him limp away, but I'm a detective, damnit. It could at least stagger the perp and force him to crawl around or something. I get that we're not doing hardstuns anymore but it could at least do SOMETHING to perhaps aid in my journey to interrogate the perp other than bring him inches from death, at which point I doubt he'd be super compliant.
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Re: Okay seriously what's the point of the detective's revolver

Post by iamgoofball » #612865

What noir detective ISN'T packing a big ass revolver?

Harry Dresden is packing heat.
Spoiler:
Naoto Shirogane is packing heat.
Columbo is packing heat.

It's practically a rule that fictional detectives carry a six shooter.
terranaut
Byond Username: Terranaut

Post by terranaut » #612866

its for the aesthetic you fucking clown what kind of a dumb question is this
when you're deep in maint scanning for clues and the killer suddenly comes around the corner swinging his knife is when you pull out your revolver and dome him 6 times like the loose cannon you are, only to get fired by your boss for killing your only lead, sinking into a deep depression with only clear spirits remaining your only friend as you solve the case anyway, badge or no.
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #612867

You're a loose cannon, terranaut. You're off the case!
► Show Spoiler
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #612868

terranaut wrote:its for the aesthetic you fucking clown
yeah no shit you illiterate twat, but i'm talking about gameplay-wise, like for instance:
Spoiler:
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #612869

It used to stun but at some point they changed it. After a bit of searching, I found the PR: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/39891

Personally not a change I've really minded, shooting people with it is very fun and I guess I don't really find myself in the position of having to arrest people as detective very often anyway.
Last edited by cacogen on Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

terranaut

Post by terranaut » #612876

PKPenguin321 wrote:
yeah no shit you illiterate twat, but i'm talking about gameplay-wise, like for instance:
should've mentioned that in your first post instead of complaining about a gun fulfilling the very surprising use case of killing people
twat yourself out of a window
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Mickyan
Github User
Byond Username: Mickyan
Github Username: Mickyan

Post by Mickyan » #612877

Mostly for self defence since the detective is not supposed to be the one arresting people, which may just be frowned upon but if you start braining people to arrest them for petty crimes admins are definitely going to start noticing
ImageI play on Manuel as Swanni, the brain-damaged moth.
Be nice to each other.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #612880

Aesthetic importance aside, back in the era of StunStation13, it was an interesting down-and-slightly-to-the-side adjustment from sec tasers. It stunned, but only briefly. It did damage, but not that much. It was enough to keep you safe from basic problems, and not much else.

Without having been readjusted properly for the new era of combat mechanics, it doesn't really fulfill any purpose except the aesthetic, being unsuited to stunning and to killing alike.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
Kryson
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Kryson

Post by Kryson » #612883

The point of it is to be able to investigate crimes scenes in maint without getting stinkhanded and killed without resistance.

I believe it being lethal only actually deters the detective from making arrests which is a good thing. Also it is cool.

>least do SOMETHING to perhaps aid in my journey to interrogate the perp

It is not supposed to do this, if the suspect won't talk to you willingly an officer is supposed to arrest him.
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #612885

It's bait for new and old players to get bwoinked over.

Old players think it's filled with stun bullets and the only way to use it is unload every shot in them.

New players think "oh I come with this I should use it".

Just like real cops.
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #612890

iamgoofball wrote:What noir detective ISN'T packing a big ass revolver?

Spoiler:
Columbo is packing heat.

columbo hardly ever carried a revolver you clungus he frequently mentions that he keeps it locked up down town because he doesn't like the noise it makes when it goes off
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #612893

Most of its damage is still stamina right?

You go down after 2 shots, but by then you only have 50 brute, so you are seriously wounded, but not crit.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #612895

I think adding special revolver rounds that reveal the dna of whomever you're shooting might be neat

Or shooting out lighting, or shooting other stuff... seems like we just need to add alternate rounds
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #612896

Armhulen wrote:I think adding special revolver rounds that reveal the dna of whomever you're shooting might be neat

Or shooting out lighting, or shooting other stuff... seems like we just need to add alternate rounds
just shoot someone and take a blood sample off the ground or wall
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #612899

terranaut wrote:
Armhulen wrote:I think adding special revolver rounds that reveal the dna of whomever you're shooting might be neat

just shoot someone and take a blood sample off the ground or wall
you know new players would use it if you shot at a target and the bullet beeped out the dna string of the person you shot
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #612906

make bullets with little fins and rockets so ur first shot sends a targeting signal and the rest bend around the corners and slap them in the dink for high stakes maint shootouts
Critawakets
Byond Username: CRITAWAKETS

Post by Critawakets » #612917

nobody mentioned .38 trac yet
am gud enineering
scrungo
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #612924

The detective shouldn't arrest people but shooting stuff out of peoples hands would be sick

Maybe shooting hats off too
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #612929

Super Aggro Crag wrote:
iamgoofball wrote:What noir detective ISN'T packing a big ass revolver?

Spoiler:
Columbo is packing heat.

columbo hardly ever carried a revolver you clungus he frequently mentions that he keeps it locked up down town because he doesn't like the noise it makes when it goes off
Yeah but he still.owned one!
nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #612933

cacogen wrote:It used to stun but at some point they changed it. After a bit of searching, I found the PR: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/39891

Personally not a change I've really minded, shooting people with it is very fun and I guess I don't really find myself in the position of having to arrest people as detective very often anyway.

really makes you think
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #612940

The point of detective's revolver is "paw! You are ded!"

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #612945

Super Aggro Crag wrote:make bullets with little fins and rockets so ur first shot sends a targeting signal and the rest bend around the corners and slap them in the dink for high stakes maint shootouts
possible and actually pretty easy
terranaut

Post by terranaut » #612963

nianjiilical wrote:
cacogen wrote:It used to stun but at some point they changed it. After a bit of searching, I found the PR: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/39891

really makes you think
[🅲 1] [🆄 1] [🅼 1]

Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #612964

Kryson wrote:I believe it being lethal only actually deters the detective from making arrests which is a good thing. Also it is cool.
god I can just see it
"hmmm I want to talk to this person about a crime" PEW PEW PEW CUFF "whoa man it's only a stun why are you being an asshole about answering my questions that's pretty suspicious I guess that's our suspect"
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #612965

DNA might not be so useful, but on the topic of tracking the perp, maybe they could put in short-lived tracker things (like 5 minutes of uptime or something) and you could watch their movements with the tracking implant console. The bullets could still do full damage like they do but now even if you don't wanna basically kill the perp by shooting him to death there's still a reason to tag him with your gun at least once, and it fits the whole "help sec find the criminal" thing that detectives do.
Spoiler:
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #612966

my only gripe with the det's revolver is that it's actually dogshit at self defense, its only particularly good at gunning down defenseless people or people who aren't fighting back. back when it 1 hit stunned it was actually very functional at self defense, it just carried the side effect of also being good in general for combat. anything that requires more than 2 hits with no rider effects on hit (like a stun baton's confusion effect) will be completely useless as a "get off me" tool in an actual scenario where you are being assailed by something actually dangerous. the nerfs to his revolver have only solidified it as a tool for summary executions, because it cant do anything else -functionally-.
what i'm trying to say is, if coderbus wants the det revolver to be used for more than just pumping 4 shots into a handcuffed guy's head, it actually needs to be buffed. at a baseline a weapon that does lethal damage will at minimum always have the function of being wielded against helpless individuals, no matter how bad you make it. so the solution is to actually make it useful for other things to shift the player's priorities and perceived uses. if you, for example, buff it's damage so its not literally a worse stetchkin, it may find more successful uses when a detective gets jumped in maint, but the amount of times its used to kill some random guy you knocked down with your baton will likely stay the same. there is no getting rid of the murder part of the revolver unless you strip it of damage completely, but that completely destroys the fantasy of the item. i think we just need to accept that some detectives will arbitrarily decide to use their gun for lethals instead of bashing your skull in with their baton and move on.

edit to actually answer the op
the theoretical purpose of the revolver is the intimidation factor. approaching a potentially hostile perp with the intent of questioning them puts them through a risk benefit analysis where they can do the following:
1: avoid you, thus are presumed guilty by security
2: attack you, but this could go wrong and you are known to be armed with lethal weaponry
3: go through the questioning process, which can have a myriad of results that are irrelevant to the OP

it also dissuades people from randomly attacking you in whatever isolated shithole part of the station you are investigating. only theoretically, of course. in practice none of this matters and people are just gonna merk you thanks to how weak your tools are overall.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #612989

the answer is because it is cool
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #613008

PKPenguin321 wrote:

DNA might not be so useful, but on the topic of tracking the perp, maybe they could put in short-lived tracker things (like 5 minutes of uptime or something) and you could watch their movements with the tracking implant console. The bullets could still do full damage like they do but now even if you don't wanna basically kill the perp by shooting him to death there's still a reason to tag him with your gun at least once, and it fits the whole "help sec find the criminal" thing that detectives do.
Tone really doesn't translate well so I have no clue if this is sarcastic or not.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #613009

NoxVS wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

Tone really doesn't translate well so I have no clue if this is sarcastic or not.
Not sarcastic at all, though I'll admit that it's kind of a weird concept.
Spoiler:
NoxVS
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NoxVS

Post by NoxVS » #613010

PKPenguin321 wrote:
NoxVS wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:

Not sarcastic at all, though I'll admit that it's kind of a weird concept.
We kinda have those already. .38 TRAC bullets. Gives whoever you shoot them with a temporary tracker, like the tracking implant.
The weak should fear the strong
thehogshotgun wrote:How does having jannies like you, who have more brain tumor than brain benefit the server
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #613018

Give detective his thermals back. Let him get drill bullets that drill through a wall do he can shoot maint criminals
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #613024

Super Aggro Crag wrote:Give detective his thermals back. Let him get drill bullets that drill through a wall do he can shoot maint criminals
add that one gun from that one episode of deep space nine with the seeing-through-walls sniper scope and a transporter on the front that transports the bullet through the walls
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #613027

Okay but what if we mash these ideas up

Give the Detective a tracker round that makes the target visible through walls to people with SecHUDs for like 3 minutes

(Disclaimer, I have no idea what a nightmare this would be to code)
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NecromancerAnne

Post by NecromancerAnne » #613034

Ah how far the ballistic taser has fallen. (Good riddance)

This has an easy fix tbh if you want it to be actually analogus to a security disabler. Just make it do mostly stam and a bit of brute, like beanbags (not equal to bean bags stamina, the 25 damage rn is a good value)

Does it ultimately matter? Not really. It's just a shit low damage gun that doesn't do much beyond it's niche application against any threat immune to specifically lasers, which is not really healthy to begin with.
Screemonster wrote:add that one gun from that one episode of deep space nine with the seeing-through-walls sniper scope and a transporter on the front that transports the bullet through the walls
X-ray lasers exist. Paired with the thermal mutation you could ping someone through a wall with it.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #613057

Det gets a revolver so that he always has a gun him, as the role that's intended to work largely seperately of sec forces and needs to defend himself, but isnt an officer and doesnt get their smorgasbord of crowd control / detaining loot
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #613094

The sad thing is that the detective revolver is literally the most reliable weapon security has, only thing that won’t get deflected by eshields and juggernauts and ammo is cheap as hell.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #613095

confused rock wrote:The sad thing is that the detective revolver is literally the most reliable weapon security has, only thing that won’t get deflected by eshields and juggernauts and ammo is cheap as hell.
Sec needs a cannon
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #613097

Load cannon with grapeshot

It does 15 damage because coders hate scatter weapons
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #613130

Its lethal only so that the detective has better protection and fear factor from being fucked with while investigating while making it a rule violation for them to attempt to arrest people.

Being detective should not be security+, it has to have drawbacks.
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #613144

The detective's revolver is for self defense, not performing arrests. Detectives should not be arresting people. If you get attacked as detective and you shoot them and they ahelp then the ""victim"" is a whiny baby and furthermore if you get punished by the admin then the admin lacks common sense and an understanding of the rules.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #613155

Radical opinion, but if he's not meant to be making arrests ehy does he have the third best baton in the game (police < telebaton < contractor baton)?

Also, arresting via crit is a legit move. If they deathgasp it's on them. /s
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #613186

NecromancerAnne wrote:Radical opinion, but if he's not meant to be making arrests ehy does he have the third best baton in the game (police < telebaton < contractor baton)?

Because it's easier to empty the barrel at their head when they're incapacitated in the floor.

nianjiilical
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Nianjiilical

Post by nianjiilical » #613249

its okay to sometimes have things that arent perfectly balanced if it add flavor or is funny imo
human: ramon chivara
ai: shitpost generator
borg: shite-115
clown: donk tonkler
mime: beautiful noise

admin feedback thread

my admin policy:
Spoiler:
NecromancerAnne
In-Game Admin

Post by NecromancerAnne » #613298

Agux909 wrote:
NecromancerAnne wrote:Radical opinion, but if he's not meant to be making arrests ehy does he have the third best baton in the game (police < telebaton < contractor baton)?

Because it's easier to empty the barrel at their head when they're incapacitated in the floor.
It's only 150 brute total across 6 bullets, so it's not possible to kill someone in a single load of .38 (though I think wounds might kill them but that's an rng mechanic). You could unload all 6 bullets and epipen them and be sure they will not die outright (assuming they're not so unlucky as to roll massive amounts of histimine from the formaldehyde). This absolutely will work despite the two potential cases it doesn't so don't worry about it. /s

Or, what you could do instead is just baton shove baton and they can't fight back for the entirety of the arrest. Most people arrest with batons. Disablers divert into limbs too often (thus losing damage outright) to be usable for an arrest, and they do nothing to slow their target if you don't at least fire two shots into their chest (unlikely due to the near certainty of hitting a limb and doing extremely little damage). Unless someone wants to take away the dets baton, they are fully capable of arresting people if they want. They're not any weaker at arresting people than any sec member, hence they often get involved in arrests.

Stamina damage can be and in this thread has been conveniently ignored as part of escalation despite the game evolving towards it being the predominate method for arrests. If detectives are expected to not make arrests because they have a lethal weapon, why do they have an amazing nonlethal one that enables them to arrest people with zero brute damage inflicted and not incuring the wrath of escalation assuming they apparently are subject to it? Is the revolver just a escalation noob trap or admin expectations differing from reality because most of those expectations are nearly half a decade old?
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #613421

Stickymayhem wrote:The detective shouldn't arrest people but shooting stuff out of peoples hands would be sick

Maybe shooting hats off too
What if instead of damage your bullets shred clothing so eventually your perp is naked?
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #613437

Bruh. There are so many answers to this I don’t even know where to start.

1) You are investigating active crime scenes, some of them hot with perps that were just there. You need something better than pepperspray and a wooden baton to defend yourself.

2) Aesthetic. It’s “his thing.” Automatics are for active duty police who need the extra mags and ammo. But the detective is undercover, in the shadows looking for clues. So he doesn’t need something to bring down an army - just something reliable, lethal, and concealable. Like a 5-6 shot .38 special.

3) The detective revolver is the only ballistics weapon that has special ammo for detective work. TRAC rounds inflict a bit of brute and also embed the target with a remote tracker for 7 minutes or so. It requires research though so that’s why you never see it. He also gets cool ammo like dumdums, hotshot, and - my favorite - MATCH ricochet rounds.

You’re right the detective isn’t supposed to be arresting, he’s supposed to just be investigating, but the amount of dead detectives I have seen in maint with their revolvers... The reality is they just need it. Yeah, they’ll abuse it sometimes and kill a Mime for a prank, but let’s just ahelp that and move along.
Last edited by sinfulbliss on Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
sinfulbliss
Byond Username: SinfulBliss

Post by sinfulbliss » #613438

Oh also the fact you can modify it to chamber for 357 is just hilarious and amazing. It’s the perfect risk for a detective to take and things like this just add flavor to the game in a cool way.
Spoiler:
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #613465

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Spoiler:
Detective revolver is cool and fun, who cares about the gameplay and balance

As present headcoder says: Image
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Fishimun
Byond Username: Fishimun

Post by Fishimun » #613545

What the detective truly needs is a shotgun like the Taurus judge